HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Named Captain for Team Canada (WJC)

View Poll Results: Should the Oilers allow RNH to play in the WJHCs this year?
Yes 214 86.29%
No 34 13.71%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-04-2012, 04:21 PM
  #226
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
And an update on Nuge from Francis.

Eric Francis ‏@EricFrancis
Oilers can't comment on Nuge b/c of lockout, which is why agent said he'll strengthen shoulder this week b4 deciding on World Jrs

Good to hear because I thought it was injury related but instead it looks like Spector was pretty close to the mark. I wonder if the NHL is getting ready to make a last ditch push for a season pretty soon.
Bloody hope so. Thought at this point it would actually be ideal to have nuge play then start the season first week in January, but, beggars won't be choosers.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:32 PM
  #227
Shanahanigans
Registered User
 
Shanahanigans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,510
vCash: 500
Why would he 'strengthen' his shoulders in the middle of the season if its not injury related? I may be overreacting here, but with what we've had to deal with over the last 3 years with Oilers' shoulder (Hemsky twice, Horcoff, Hall, Souray, Klefbom) minor shoulder issues always seem to escalate.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:33 PM
  #228
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,631
vCash: 50
I'd like to see him play for the Juniors.

One thing I don't really understand is how RNH is even eligible to play. Since he had one full year with the Oil and another 4 months or so with the Barons, it would be my assumption that he wouldn't be eligible.

Does it come down to age of the player? Doesn't make allot of sense that someone who has not played Junior for a year and a half can play in the WJC.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:34 PM
  #229
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Mark Spector Sports ‏@SportsnetSpec
A theory: Oilers waiting through CBA neg's this week before releasing RNH. Want to wait 'til weekend, assess CBA climate, then release.
That.

Or...

The Oilers have (again) bungled an injury/rehab situation and RNH will need to take a couple weeks time to get it right.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:38 PM
  #230
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I'd like to see him play for the Juniors.

One thing I don't really understand is how RNH is even eligible to play. Since he had one full year with the Oil and another 4 months or so with the Barons, it would be my assumption that he wouldn't be eligible.

Does it come down to age of the player? Doesn't make allot of sense that someone who has not played Junior for a year and a half can play in the WJC.
As far as I know it is simply age, you have to be under 20, thats it.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 04:39 PM
  #231
Shanahanigans
Registered User
 
Shanahanigans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I'd like to see him play for the Juniors.

One thing I don't really understand is how RNH is even eligible to play. Since he had one full year with the Oil and another 4 months or so with the Barons, it would be my assumption that he wouldn't be eligible.

Does it come down to age of the player? Doesn't make allot of sense that someone who has not played Junior for a year and a half can play in the WJC.
Its a U20 tournament. RNH turns 20 sometime in May I believe.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:42 PM
  #232
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Its a U20 tournament. RNH turns 20 sometime in May I believe.
which is CRAZY, when you stop and think about it

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 05:42 PM
  #233
oiler-dude
Registered User
 
oiler-dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,013
vCash: 500
So what happens on the off chance the Oilers release RNH for the WJC on Dec. 10, and the NHL decides on the 11th they have a CBA to start playing. Since we "release" him, does that mean we're without his services until the WJC ends, or would we be able to pull him back?

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:04 PM
  #234
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
So what happens on the off chance the Oilers release RNH for the WJC on Dec. 10, and the NHL decides on the 11th they have a CBA to start playing. Since we "release" him, does that mean we're without his services until the WJC ends, or would we be able to pull him back?
That could be the idea behind waiting until Monday before making any official move.

At that point the NHL schedule would likely be cancelled through Jan. 1rst. Pretty much covers the WJT.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:06 PM
  #235
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
So what happens on the off chance the Oilers release RNH for the WJC on Dec. 10, and the NHL decides on the 11th they have a CBA to start playing. Since we "release" him, does that mean we're without his services until the WJC ends, or would we be able to pull him back?
My guess is they would be legally allowed to get RNH back, but it wouldn't be cool. I think once he starts you have to let him play. Seeing as the Season won't start until jan 1st at best. That isn't much of a worry.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:16 PM
  #236
SDig14
Registered User
 
SDig14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
My guess is they would be legally allowed to get RNH back, but it wouldn't be cool. I think once he starts you have to let him play. Seeing as the Season won't start until jan 1st at best. That isn't much of a worry.
While this is true, at the end of the day he is still an Oiler, property of the Oilers, and really we are the ones doing Hockey Canada the favor by releasing him.

If we found out that on December 20th a deal was reached, and they needed 10 days for a camp and hockey would start January 1st, I have no problem asking him to leave Russia and come back on the 20th of December.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:24 PM
  #237
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
While this is true, at the end of the day he is still an Oiler, property of the Oilers, and really we are the ones doing Hockey Canada the favor by releasing him.

If we found out that on December 20th a deal was reached, and they needed 10 days for a camp and hockey would start January 1st, I have no problem asking him to leave Russia and come back on the 20th of December.
The Oilers can recall him anytime if/when the lockout is ended. The problem would be on the other end of it...where IIHF rules would prevent Hockey Canada from filling RNH's suddenly vacated roster spot with another player. I believe they only take 23 players in total so anytime you lose a guy its a potential problem.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:32 PM
  #238
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor
 
okgooil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 12,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
The Oilers can recall him anytime if/when the lockout is ended. The problem would be on the other end of it...where IIHF rules would prevent Hockey Canada from filling RNH's suddenly vacated roster spot with another player. I believe they only take 23 players in total so anytime you lose a guy its a potential problem.
Ya, Again, I don't think they can make Nuge stay. I mean IIHFcan't tell Nuge he isnt' allowed to play for the Oilers. I mean he is under contract as a Oiler, not as a member of team Canada. So I just mean legally I think the Oilers have the right. However, as you stated, it would be in very bad form. I mean it just wouldn't happen, if they let him go on monday, he will play in the tournament, whether the NHL is under way or not.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 06:42 PM
  #239
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Ya, Again, I don't think they can make Nuge stay. I mean IIHFcan't tell Nuge he isnt' allowed to play for the Oilers. I mean he is under contract as a Oiler, not as a member of team Canada. So I just mean legally I think the Oilers have the right. However, as you stated, it would be in very bad form. I mean it just wouldn't happen, if they let him go on monday, he will play in the tournament, whether the NHL is under way or not.
Ya, I think waiting til monday to make a decision was more then just a health thing maybe he's waiting to see how the current wave of negotiations go, with a meeting happening now and they may meet again tomorrow or/and thursday but by monday we should have a somewhat better idea where the lockout is headed
Nuge is important to the oilers if the lockout ends even in the middle of the tournament i want him in edmonton because if the lockout does end we'll have a shortened season and that makes every game more important

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:05 PM
  #240
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,631
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
As far as I know it is simply age, you have to be under 20, thats it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Its a U20 tournament. RNH turns 20 sometime in May I believe.
Thanks guys. That's what I thought.

I still think you should be playing i juniors to take part in the tourny, but I'm happy to see RNH take part in it still.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2012, 08:44 PM
  #241
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,567
vCash: 500
The window to get something done on the CBA doesn't end until about mid-Feb, if you go by what happened in 2004-2005.

Something fundamentally positive needs to happen in the next couple of weeks, otherwise both sides probably start accepting that the season will not happen - which is nuts for the players to do (there are still only 1/3 of teams that make money by playing).

If I were the owners, I would be demanding more reasonable buy-out rules this time. Half way measure considering the unbelievable deal the players get on guaranteed contracts. 33.3% buy-out across the board for contracts.

This would not be that radical considering young players are subject to the 33.3% amount under the current CBA.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:19 PM
  #242
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 18,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Does anyone remember what the 05 championship team looked like? Was the intent to put together the potential 06 olympic team?
7 Jeff Carter F 01.01.1985 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
9 Sidney Crosby F 07.08.1987 Rimouski Océanic
11 Colin Fraser F 28.01.1985 Red Deer Rebels
12 Anthony Stewart F 05.01.1985 Kingston Frontenacs
14 Stephen Dixon F 07.09.1985 Cape Breton Screaming Eagles
15 Ryan Getzlaf F 10.05.1985 Calgary Hitmen
17 Clarke MacArthur F 06.04.1985 Medicine Hat Tigers
18 Mike Richards F 11.02.1985 Kitchener Rangers
19 Andrew Ladd F 12.12.1985 Calgary Hitmen
21 Jeremy Colliton F 13.01.1985 Prince Albert Raiders
24 Corey Perry F 16.05.1985 London Knights
27 Nigel Dawes F 09.02.1985 Kootenay Ice
37 Patrice Bergeron F 24.07.1985 Providence Bruins

2 Brent Seabrook D 20.04.1985 Lethbridge Hurricanes
3 Dion Phaneuf D 10.04.1985 Red Deer Rebels
4 Shawn Belle D 03.01.1985 Tri-City Americans
6 Shea Weber D 14.08.1985 Kelowna Rockets
20 Danny Syvret D 13.06.1986 London Knights
25 Cam Barker D 04.04.1986 Medicine Hat Tigers
29 Braydon Coburn D 27.02.1985 Portland Winter Hawks

33 Jeff Glass G 19.11.1985 Kootenay Ice
35 Réjean Beauchemin G 03.05.1985 Prince Albert Raiders

Out of memory, ofc

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 01:53 PM
  #243
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
7 Jeff Carter F 01.01.1985 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
9 Sidney Crosby F 07.08.1987 Rimouski Océanic
11 Colin Fraser F 28.01.1985 Red Deer Rebels
12 Anthony Stewart F 05.01.1985 Kingston Frontenacs
14 Stephen Dixon F 07.09.1985 Cape Breton Screaming Eagles
15 Ryan Getzlaf F 10.05.1985 Calgary Hitmen
17 Clarke MacArthur F 06.04.1985 Medicine Hat Tigers
18 Mike Richards F 11.02.1985 Kitchener Rangers
19 Andrew Ladd F 12.12.1985 Calgary Hitmen
21 Jeremy Colliton F 13.01.1985 Prince Albert Raiders
24 Corey Perry F 16.05.1985 London Knights
27 Nigel Dawes F 09.02.1985 Kootenay Ice
37 Patrice Bergeron F 24.07.1985 Providence Bruins

2 Brent Seabrook D 20.04.1985 Lethbridge Hurricanes
3 Dion Phaneuf D 10.04.1985 Red Deer Rebels
4 Shawn Belle D 03.01.1985 Tri-City Americans
6 Shea Weber D 14.08.1985 Kelowna Rockets
20 Danny Syvret D 13.06.1986 London Knights
25 Cam Barker D 04.04.1986 Medicine Hat Tigers
29 Braydon Coburn D 27.02.1985 Portland Winter Hawks

33 Jeff Glass G 19.11.1985 Kootenay Ice
35 Réjean Beauchemin G 03.05.1985 Prince Albert Raiders

Out of memory, ofc
what a team. 8 of those players would go on winning stanley cups.

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:49 PM
  #244
Shredator
Registered User
 
Shredator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
7 Jeff Carter F 01.01.1985 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
9 Sidney Crosby F 07.08.1987 Rimouski Océanic
11 Colin Fraser F 28.01.1985 Red Deer Rebels
12 Anthony Stewart F 05.01.1985 Kingston Frontenacs
14 Stephen Dixon F 07.09.1985 Cape Breton Screaming Eagles
15 Ryan Getzlaf F 10.05.1985 Calgary Hitmen
17 Clarke MacArthur F 06.04.1985 Medicine Hat Tigers
18 Mike Richards F 11.02.1985 Kitchener Rangers
19 Andrew Ladd F 12.12.1985 Calgary Hitmen
21 Jeremy Colliton F 13.01.1985 Prince Albert Raiders
24 Corey Perry F 16.05.1985 London Knights
27 Nigel Dawes F 09.02.1985 Kootenay Ice
37 Patrice Bergeron F 24.07.1985 Providence Bruins

2 Brent Seabrook D 20.04.1985 Lethbridge Hurricanes
3 Dion Phaneuf D 10.04.1985 Red Deer Rebels
4 Shawn Belle D 03.01.1985 Tri-City Americans
6 Shea Weber D 14.08.1985 Kelowna Rockets
20 Danny Syvret D 13.06.1986 London Knights
25 Cam Barker D 04.04.1986 Medicine Hat Tigers
29 Braydon Coburn D 27.02.1985 Portland Winter Hawks

33 Jeff Glass G 19.11.1985 Kootenay Ice
35 Réjean Beauchemin G 03.05.1985 Prince Albert Raiders

Out of memory, ofc
9 Stanley Cup Winners
This is the greatest WJC team ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Wo..._Championships

They had 32GF and 5GA during the round robin. Went undefeated / uncontested in the tournament.
They had scores of 7-3, 8-1, 9-0, 8-1, 3-1, 6-1

The closest game was 3-1. No one came even close.
Canada did not trail for 1 single second in the entire WJC.

I hope this years team does just as well and utterly dominates.

Shredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:22 PM
  #245
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,068
vCash: 500
https://twitter.com/edmontonoilers/s...53257382031360

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:38 PM
  #246
McClelland
Registered User
 
McClelland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 50
Looking forward to see him dominate at the wjc! Sweden though got a negative respons from ottawa to let mika zibanejad play, and he arent even in their roster. Maybe hockey-canada work together to bring back the goldmedal!:

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 05:56 PM
  #247
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor
 
BlueChip01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,958
vCash: 500
so when does the tournament end?

BlueChip01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:04 PM
  #248
pocketful
"We'll see"
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 553
vCash: 500
Sweet! Now I am absolutely pumped for the tournament.

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 06:27 PM
  #249
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
so when does the tournament end?
January 5 i believe


This is great news it means his shoulder checked out ok
However if the lockout were to end before or during the tournament nuge would likely join the oilers leaving team canada scrambling. Ideally the lockout ends right after the tournament ends so we see a solid team canada hopefully win gold and then a shortened nhl season


Last edited by 402: 12-08-2012 at 07:08 PM.
402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2012, 07:00 PM
  #250
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,133
vCash: 500
Meh. Good luck I guess. Hope he doesn't get injured but really hope they can bring home the gold.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.