HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Named Captain for Team Canada (WJC)

View Poll Results: Should the Oilers allow RNH to play in the WJHCs this year?
Yes 214 86.29%
No 34 13.71%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-14-2012, 03:08 PM
oiler-dude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
There are many Oiler fans, and others I'm sure that would just ignore the NHL out of sence of right, and watch the WJC. What a great way of flipping the bird at the NHL/PA by completely ignoring the nhl for an extra week or 2. Probably doesn't matter any how.
But there's going to be 16,839 fans paying top dollar to be at Rexall for every game RNH would (hypothetically) miss. To them alone as a team you owe it to ice your best possible team.

I bet most of the same people who say on HF "how could they take him back" would say "how could they leave him there!?" if the NHL were to start up quickly. It's the HF way (not pointing fingers at any specific posters, FYI, just at the general HF populace. It's a "what have you done for me lately" type of board)

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Jesus H, sounds like the same PR machine that running the arena deal. These idiots really don't get it do they.
What dont they get. Season ticket holders pay thousands a year and deserve the best team. Im assuming RNH was plastered across the season ticket holder forms when the money was due.

If im the GM I look at making the playoffs and trying to win back the goodwill of Edmontonians after the lockout versus letting russians watch RNH play in a tournament 2 leagues below his level

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Tim Wharnsby ‏@WharnsbyCBC
This should have read: CDN Jr coach Steve Spott says #Oilers have not altered stance. RNH will return from world jr if NHL lockout ends.
I think that Oiler fans have become accustomed to watching their team lose a lot of games over the last few seasons, what difference does it make if RNH misses 2 or 3 games?

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:16 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
I think that Oiler fans have become accustomed to watching their team lose a lot of games over the last few seasons, what difference does it make if RNH misses 2 or 3 games?
In a lockout shortened season of (hypothetically) 48 games (or about half), it would be like him missing 4-6 games. Everything is amplified, and we're not exactly what one would call "deep" at centre, so missing our #1 guy would hurt. A lot.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Well thats 6 points. In 07 or 08 I believe the Oilers missed the playoffs against Nashville by something like 4 points.

Id say making the playoffs versus not making them is a pretty big difference. Granted the team could be lottery again and those 6 points make no difference but im gonna assume the team will not be dead last again

Old
12-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
What dont they get. Season ticket holders pay thousands a year and deserve the best team. Im assuming RNH was plastered across the season ticket holder forms when the money was due.

If im the GM I look at making the playoffs and trying to win back the goodwill of Edmontonians after the lockout versus letting russians watch RNH play in a tournament 2 leagues below his level
We already missed 1/2 the season because these idiots can't find a way to share hundreds of millions of dollars, how many fans care about 2 or 3 more games missed by just 1 player?

Oiler fans will still get their entertainment value by watching RNH play at the WJC, they don't lose anything at all in that regard.

In terms of what the team gets, RNH being at the wjc is also worth something to the org.

The team is run by a bunch of idiots. All they're good at doing is finishing last over and over again, this level of decision making is actually normal for them.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:31 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Because that's 6% of a season where making the playoffs is a more attainable goal?

I don't even see another side to this argument. Of course they'll pull him out, Hockey Canada had to know this before the Oilers confirmed it for them.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:37 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Some of you think we have a chance of making the playoffs?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Well thats 6 points. In 07 or 08 I believe the Oilers missed the playoffs against Nashville by something like 4 points.

Id say making the playoffs versus not making them is a pretty big difference. Granted the team could be lottery again and those 6 points make no difference but im gonna assume the team will not be dead last again
You make it sound as if they're just giving away all 6 points with RNH not being there, even Crosby doesn't make that much of a difference.

Realistically instead of being a .520 club they'll be a .480 club, there's maybe 1 point lost. They let MacT coach here for years, think about what that cost in terms of points in the standings.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:39 PM
Debonair

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Some of you think we have a chance of making the playoffs?
The leafs would have made the playoffs if you went by the first 48 games of the season. Anything is possible.

Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 03:44 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
The leafs would have made the playoffs if you went by the first 48 games of the season. Anything is possible.
Point is, in a 48 game schedule, one small winning streak and .500 hockey will get you in. There isn't really a team in the NHL that wouldn't have a better chance than they do at 82 games.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Jamin

Quote:
We already missed 1/2 the season because these idiots can't find a way to share hundreds of millions of dollars, how many fans care about 2 or 3 more games missed by just 1 player?

Oiler fans will still get their entertainment value by watching RNH play at the WJC, they don't lose anything at all in that regard.

In terms of what the team gets, RNH being at the wjc is also worth something to the org.

The team is run by a bunch of idiots. All they're good at doing is finishing last over and over again, this level of decision making is actually normal for them.
Speak for yourself. Ill be watching Horcoff on the first line and wont even be watching RNH because im not going to wake up at 3 or 4am to watch hockey.

Even ignoring that: NHL>Junior hockey imo

So yes as a paying customer I am losing entertainment value and my team has a worse shot at winning

Old
12-14-2012, 03:45 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Because that's 6% of a season where making the playoffs is a more attainable goal?

I don't even see another side to this argument. Of course they'll pull him out, Hockey Canada had to know this before the Oilers confirmed it for them.
Like I just said tho, they're not giving up all the points from that 6% of games by not having 1 player in the roster.

There's also a human element involved, it's a good bonding experience for the team to watch RNH play in those games. It's also a good developmental experience for RNH. Other players in the Oilers system also benefit from getting into the lineup, getting more icetime or better situational icetime, etc. All for a measly 3 games that are crucial for a lot of Oiler fans and people all over the country.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Jamin

Quote:
You make it sound as if they're just giving away all 6 points with RNH not being there, even Crosby doesn't make that much of a difference.

Realistically instead of being a .520 club they'll be a .480 club, there's maybe 1 point lost. They let MacT coach here for years, think about what that cost in terms of points in the standings.
49.92 points

46 points

So even if the ratios break down exactly like you say thats still losing 4 points which like I said in my other post cost the oilers making the playoffs when the kid line was tearing it up. Why take the risk so RNH can play 2 leagues lower then what he normally would be

Old
12-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Like I just said tho, they're not giving up all the points from that 6% of games by not having 1 player in the roster.

There's also a human element involved, it's a good bonding experience for the team to watch RNH play in those games. It's also a good developmental experience for RNH. Other players in the Oilers system also benefit from getting into the lineup, getting more icetime or better situational icetime, etc. All for a measly 3 games that are crucial for a lot of Oiler fans and people all over the country.
Now I never played hockey at a high level but in football

Going on road trips with your teammates > watching football on TV

One helps the bonding more then the others imo

Old
12-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Speak for yourself. Ill be watching Horcoff on the first line and wont even be watching RNH because im not going to wake up at 3 or 4am to watch hockey.

Even ignoring that: NHL>Junior hockey imo

So yes as a paying customer I am losing entertainment value and my team has a worse shot at winning
Gagner will likely be on the 1st line, he had an 8 point game against Chi last year in that spot.

Don't you have a pvr?

NHL>Junior, but not the WJC in terms of development and what it will mean for RNH in the long run.

Ten years from now he could be smoking a pipe and reflecting on his wjc gold medal game heoics, or he could be trying to vaguely remember what happened in the 3 games the Oilers lost while he was here.

I don't even care if the Oilers were guaranteed to lose all 3 games, I'd never pull that kid out of the tourney. There's also an element of asset management involved here and I'd keep the kid happy. Current NHL contract or no, there will come a day when the Oilers really want him to re-sign here and this decision will not be forgotten.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
49.92 points

46 points

So even if the ratios break down exactly like you say thats still losing 4 points which like I said in my other post cost the oilers making the playoffs when the kid line was tearing it up. Why take the risk so RNH can play 2 leagues lower then what he normally would be
The difference is only for 3 games, not the whole season. So it's more like 49.92 poinst vs 48.82 points.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:57 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
It's their #1C, not a fourth line buffer.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but there isn't a single way the NHL isn't more important. Better for him, too, since the level of hockey is probably a clear three levels better.

Old
12-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Now I never played hockey at a high level but in football

Going on road trips with your teammates > watching football on TV

One helps the bonding more then the others imo
Football for what 16 games a year? 1 football game is worth 4 hockey games.

And it's not like watching just any game on tv, it's like watching one of your teammates compete for a Gold Medal at the international level.

Would the Lions like to watch Geroy Simon compete fopr a gold medal or play in game 6 of their regular season? They be gonzo to see their teammate win that medal or they're just not good teammates.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
It's their #1C, not a fourth line buffer.
When Crosby misses 3 games does it mean that Pit gets 0 points? Did the Oilers lose every game that RNH missed last year? What was their record with vs without him?

Quote:
I'm sorry, but there isn't a single way the NHL isn't more important. Better for him, too, since the level of hockey is probably a clear three levels better.
The only thing grain of salt in there is that the level of play is better, but it's not "three levels better".

The games RNH would be missing are WJC playoff games - including semi-final and final.

Old
12-14-2012, 04:11 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
As a STH waiting an extra 3months to see a single game, he better ****ing be there opening night.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Hynh

It's OK guys, we can trade Gagner. teh nuuuuge will always be there for us.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2012, 05:08 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:

So...you condemn management for only being good at "finishing last over and over again," but would be OK with them allowing their #1C to miss games he doesn't need to miss in a shortened season to play vs. competition 2 leagues lower than NHL?

Also: If you leave RNH there, you have to leave Yakupov too. Can't take one and leave the other. So you're damn right I call back my top players when the season starts.

Old
12-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
So...you condemn management for only being good at "finishing last over and over again," but would be OK with them allowing their #1C to miss games he doesn't need to miss in a shortened season to play vs. competition 2 leagues lower than NHL?

Also: If you leave RNH there, you have to leave Yakupov too. Can't take one and leave the other. So you're damn right I call back my top players when the season starts.
Easily. 3 nhl games are nothing in a player's career compared to them getting a chance to play at the WJC, and you're talking about a 19 yr old and an 18 yr old. The team doesn't go from contender to pretender if they miss 3 games.

Hemsky can play on the 2nd line while Yak is at the wjc, no big loss.

The difference for 2 or 3 games is Gagner vs RNH on the 1st line and Hemsky vs Yak on the 2nd line. It's not great but it's not the flaming heap you are imagining.

It's idiotic to deny these kids their shot at international glory that will last with them a lifetime for the difference they'd make here in 3 games.

When Yak and RNH come close to ufa age the Oilers will be thankful they let those kids live their dream instead of playing in 3 games they won't even remember when they're 23.

Old
12-14-2012, 06:55 PM
Hynh

Quote:
When Yak and RNH come close to ufa age the Oilers will be thankful they let those kids live their dream instead of playing in 3 games they won't even remember when they're 23.
Excatly, It's a lot easier to remember "didn't let me captain Canada/Russia to the finals" than "finished slightly worse than we would have."

I know it's "anything can happen when you're in the playoffs" but the thing that is most likely to happen is a 5 game series and bad pick in a great draft.

Hynh is offline   Reply With Quote