HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins Named Captain for Team Canada (WJC)

View Poll Results: Should the Oilers allow RNH to play in the WJHCs this year?
Yes 214 86.29%
No 34 13.71%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-15-2012, 04:57 AM
alanschu

vCash: 500
It will always be better for RNH's development to play NHL games over WJC games.

The only reason for wanting RNH to play WJC over Oilers hockey is because you just want to stack Canada's deck and increase the chances for victory there. It has nothing to do with what's best for RNH.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 08:41 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

So Nuge is Captain of Canada, Yakupov is likely captain of Russia, and many thought that Klefbom would have been captain for the Swedes... Not too shabby.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 10:24 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
So Nuge is Captain of Canada, Yakupov is likely captain of Russia, and many thought that Klefbom would have been captain for the Swedes... Not too shabby.
Yep. Canada vs Russia for the gold would be sweet. We're gonna have a real good team pretty damned soon!

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
It will always be better for RNH's development to play NHL games over WJC games.

The only reason for wanting RNH to play WJC over Oilers hockey is because you just want to stack Canada's deck and increase the chances for victory there. It has nothing to do with what's best for RNH.
If it was strictly a case of playing 3 round robin wjc games or 3 reg season nhl games and nothing else for a year I'd agree. But that's clearly not the case.

It's a case of playing the wjc semi-finals and finals as captain of team Canada and then playing 40 nhl games vs leaving team Canada during their playoffs and playing 43 nhl games.

Do games 41-43 in the nhl mean as much for his development as being team captain in the WJC playoff games? No, and the difference isn't small - it's measured in light years.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
If it was strictly a case of playing 3 round robin wjc games or 3 reg season nhl games and nothing else for a year I'd agree. But that's clearly not the case.

It's a case of playing the wjc semi-finals and finals as captain of team Canada and then playing 40 nhl games vs leaving team Canada during their playoffs and playing 43 nhl games.

Do games 41-43 in the nhl mean as much for his development as being team captain in the WJC playoff games? No, and the difference isn't small - it's measured in light years.
I don't agree with allot of your posts, but this one I will stand behind 100%.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:24 AM
alanschu

Quote:
You're right. Playing against kids, most of whom will never even get to play in the NHL, isn't going to help his development. And it's light years of difference to play against NHLers than it is to play against kids. Especially when you can already do quite well against the NHLers.

The only reason why it's a small difference is because he wouldn't miss many NHL games. The more time he spends not in the NHL, the more time he's not facing off against the type of competition that he needs to face off against.

All this stuff about it being a good learning experience to be in that pressure situation is just the justification of fans that want him on Canada so that he can help Canada win gold. Being a #1 overall draft pick in the NHL, in a hockey hotbed like Edmonton, is a hell of a pressure situation in and of itself. Frankly, if he wasn't feeling the pressure his first NHL game, I'd wonder where his head was at.

The biggest win keeping him in the WJC if the NHL season starts up is that it'd be a gesture by the Oilers that he appreciates.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post

I think Tobias Reider would have been lettered for Germany had he not been injured.

Same with Gernat

Last edited by Valic: 12-16-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:35 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Keep RNH over there for the entire tournament regardless of what happens with the NHL. This is a chance to watch RNH play and perform in a high stress, high stakes environment. That'll be more valuable for his development as a player than 3 or 4 NHL at the beginning of a shortened NHL season.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Is Musil overage now? I imagine he'd wear a letter too.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:15 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay Z Boy GM View Post
Is Musil overage now? I imagine he'd wear a letter too.
No he's there

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
You're right. Playing against kids, most of whom will never even get to play in the NHL, isn't going to help his development. And it's light years of difference to play against NHLers than it is to play against kids. Especially when you can already do quite well against the NHLers.

The only reason why it's a small difference is because he wouldn't miss many NHL games. The more time he spends not in the NHL, the more time he's not facing off against the type of competition that he needs to face off against.

All this stuff about it being a good learning experience to be in that pressure situation is just the justification of fans that want him on Canada so that he can help Canada win gold. Being a #1 overall draft pick in the NHL, in a hockey hotbed like Edmonton, is a hell of a pressure situation in and of itself. Frankly, if he wasn't feeling the pressure his first NHL game, I'd wonder where his head was at.

The biggest win keeping him in the WJC if the NHL season starts up is that it'd be a gesture by the Oilers that he appreciates.
1)I think Yakupov should be playing there too, not sure how much that helps Canada but I don't think it does.

2) I'm pretty sure that you don't grasp the magnitude of what it means to wear the Jersey for your country. With a "C" on it, no less. Over the next century only 100 Canadians will get the honour that has been bestowed upon RNH out of literally 10's of millions of kids in that span. The playoff games that RNH plays there will become a big part of this country's hockey history, win or lose. The 3 Oiler games will be forgotten by the end of the month. The pressure of the gold game is 1,000 times bigger than the games he'd miss in Edm. The experience is 1,000 times more valuable than 3 more nhl games out of 40. The skill of the nhl players is higher just like Team Canada is better than the Swiss national team - everyone is ten feet tall when they play for their country. The importance of the situation and the competition RNH faces in the gold game will be tough enough to require the very best in him. Every battle along the boards, every loose puck in the crease, every square inch of the ice is 100% full-on.

Over the next 20 years the WJC gold game experience (assumption) will be something that RNH can draw from for confidence or inspiration, being in situations like that makes other big pressure situations feel normal. The 3 games he misses in Edm - absolutely meaningless in the long run.

I think you've also forgotten what some nhl games look like.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Oi'll say!

Alanschu - how do you think Sid Crosby, Wayne Greyzky et al would rate the importance & significance of their WJC experience vs 3 nhl games at the start of any one season? Think they would trade it?

If you're answer is yes then we'll have to agree to really really disagree.

Old
12-16-2012, 02:37 PM
AvOiL

Quote:
Alanschu - how do you think Sid Crosby, Wayne Greyzky et al would rate the importance & significance of their WJC experience vs 3 nhl games at the start of any one season? Think they would trade it?

If you're answer is yes then we'll have to agree to really really disagree.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. But I'm also torn by the fact that, in a shortened season, every game means that much more from a playoff-picture standpoint. And we would be even more vulnerable down the middle than we already are if RNH is at the WJCs.

Not sure what the best course of action is.

AvOiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:40 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemsky8371 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with this. But I'm also torn by the fact that, in a shortened season, every game means that much more from a playoff-picture standpoint. And we would be even more vulnerable down the middle than we already are if RNH is at the WJCs.

Not sure what the best course of action is.
Playoffs? PLAYOFFS?!?

Seriously, playoffs?!?!

Let the kid bring home the gold. There may not even be a season at this rate.

nofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2012, 02:44 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

The last game of the tournament is on January 5th. If the NHL does a week of exhibition games like the NBA did last year, Nuge won't even miss a game.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:15 AM
Cam98

im not gunna enjoy waking up 430 am to watch these games live when i usually go to bed at 2am. lol guess ima have to go to bed at after the game on days when they play lol

Cam98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:40 AM
Soundwave

I miss the Vancouver Olympics where they'd have games starting even at like 10:30 PM and it would be on through midnight.

The pace of the World Juniors can get pretty wild, I remember a few years ago flipping back and forth between the WJCs and an NHL game, and watching the NHL was like watching paint dry

They may not all be pro players, but the pace and intensity of the tournament can get insane. So I think it's a good experience for RNH.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2012, 02:59 AM
Kestrel

On these boards, I always hear a lot about the Oilers needing players who "know how to win" - well, it seems to me that the WJC is a better than average chance for one of the Oilers' premier players to learn just how to do so - and as has already been said, in a very high pressure situation.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote