HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season madness!

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2012, 04:54 PM
jcollins
BJ Elitist/Hipster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
I dunno, they paid a decent price, at least optically to the casual fan, to get Rogers. I know AA isn't one to really pander to fans, but I can't see him sending Rogers to Buffalo. Only way I see Jeffress making the 25 man is if there's an injury in the pen
Well if not Rogers, whoever AA considers to be the weakest RHP. If they're really impressed by Jeffress in ST they won't risk loosing him.

Old
11-08-2012, 04:56 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

DAVIDI ON JAYS: IZTURIS JUST THE START 45min

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...tent=Davidi%20

The Blue Jays now have $77.1 million committed to 16 players for 2013 if you include $3 million for Oliver, who may retire, and projected salaries of $4.5 million for Colby Rasmus and $3.8 million for J.A. Happ, who are both arbitration eligible.
Factor in roughly $5 million for contract renewals on 0-3 years service time players and Anthopoulos still has roughly $8 million to spend on a $90 million payroll, $13 million on a $95 million payroll and $18 million on a $100 million payroll.

Old
11-08-2012, 05:04 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
DAVIDI ON JAYS: IZTURIS JUST THE START 45min

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...tent=Davidi%20

The Blue Jays now have $77.1 million committed to 16 players for 2013 if you include $3 million for Oliver, who may retire, and projected salaries of $4.5 million for Colby Rasmus and $3.8 million for J.A. Happ, who are both arbitration eligible.
Factor in roughly $5 million for contract renewals on 0-3 years service time players and Anthopoulos still has roughly $8 million to spend on a $90 million payroll, $13 million on a $95 million payroll and $18 million on a $100 million payroll.
We need to go big for a FA pitcher and make a trade for a solid #2/3. Adding another bat and a starting second basemen is needed too.

I doubt this years team will be very good. I'm really not confident that AA will pull anything off.

Old
11-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Well if not Rogers, whoever AA considers to be the weakest RHP. If they're really impressed by Jeffress in ST they won't risk loosing him.
I don't know that anyone of Delabar/Lincoln/Rogers/Jeffress has options...It's possible we go with an 8-man bullpen to start the year and then move one of them when the need comes

Old
11-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
We need to go big for a FA pitcher and make a trade for a solid #2/3. Adding another bat and a starting second basemen is needed too.

I doubt this years team will be very good. I'm really not confident that AA will pull anything off.
It is possible he signs a 3/4 SP for <$10M, trades for another young pitcher who's not on an expensive contract yet, and finds an average LF...

But you know...THE SKY IS FALLING, AA SUCKS AND IS A PUPPET, THIS TEAM CAN'T WIN WITH ROGERS AS OWNERS, BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!!!!!

Old
11-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:

I honestly don't get the skepticism, other than being the general fatigue of a Toronto sports fan (which is fair enough, I suppose). This is the first offseason Anthopolous has felt like he is in a position to go hard after significant trade and FA assets. There are multiple good targets on the market, especially in the outfield and middle-rotation arms.

So why is it so hard to believe he can succeed in bringing quality assets in?

Old
11-08-2012, 05:34 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
I honestly don't get the skepticism, other than being the general fatigue of a Toronto sports fan (which is fair enough, I suppose). This is the first offseason Anthopolous has felt like he is in a position to go hard after significant trade and FA assets. There are multiple good targets on the market, especially in the outfield and middle-rotation arms.

So why is it so hard to believe he can succeed in bringing quality assets in?
I just don't think he has the money available to make the big signings. It's not so much AA that I don't believe in, but ownership. This team NEEDS a #1 guy for the rotation and a 2-3 guy. He also needs a LF, a 2nd baseman and a starting LF. I just don't see him bringing in enough high-end pieces or Rogers giving the team the money to work with.

If AA can free up some space and ownership agrees to give $100-110m in payroll this season, then I think that they can be a serious contender to make the playoffs. If not we'll see a similar result to last year.

The two pick ups today are a start, but there's a lot of work to be done.

Old
11-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Everlong
Franchise Pillar

Quote:
I just don't think he has the money available to make the big signings. It's not so much AA that I don't believe in, but ownership. This team NEEDS a #1 guy for the rotation and a 2-3 guy. He also needs a LF, a 2nd baseman and a starting LF. I just don't see him bringing in enough high-end pieces or Rogers giving the team the money to work with.

If AA can free up some space and ownership agrees to give $100-110m in payroll this season, then I think that they can be a serious contender to make the playoffs. If not we'll see a similar result to last year.

The two pick ups today are a start, but there's a lot of work to be done.
To be honest, alot of teams need those types of players. You can't be so demanding. Detroit has the likes of Delmon Young at DH, Dirks and Garcia in the outfield. Every team no matter how good they are, has holes where they can improve. It's where and how you allocate the resources you have that counts. Many successful postseason teams have players who overachieve at the appropriate time aswell.

Old
11-08-2012, 05:41 PM
NeverGoingToWin

People seriously need to look at the line-up that Baltimore and Oakland won with. I personally thought they were very weak but am willing to concede I am wrong if somebody can show me why. I am specifically talking about their line-up. I agree our pitching has to massively improve to make the playoffs like those two teams.

Old
11-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
People seriously need to look at the line-up that Baltimore and Oakland won with. I personally thought they were very weak but am willing to concede I am wrong if somebody can show me why. I am specifically talking about their line-up. I agree our pitching has to massively improve to make the playoffs like those two teams.
The Jays actually have one of the better line ups in the east, but as we've seen with teams like Oakland and Baltimore, at all about pitching.

You don't need a line up that hits 3 homeruns and scores 10 runs a game if your starters can keep the runs against low and the bullpen can shut it down. Now if you have both, we're talking contender.

Old
11-08-2012, 06:57 PM
HappyGilmourr

I had an exam earlier so I haven't expressed thoughts on the Maicer Izturis signing this afternoon.

If your going by the numbers Izturis put up last season, let's call him the ultimate #3 infielder. The fact he can play pretty much every position in the infield is very valuable. You need a guy like that, espicialy with the way Lawrie plays over there at third base... Injuries happen. The fact he's played approxtimatly 100 games on average a year for the last 6 years while not labelled a starter attributes that.

If he's a starter, he has a lot less value to this team. In this scenario Hechavarria becomes the replacement guy while starting in the minors (assuming he isn't starting because of a Yunel trade)

If Izturis is starting then it defiantly isn't a strength but it's a hard to call it a huge weakness... but yes it is a weakness. We have an in-expensive second basemen providing above average defence with the ability to get on base more than most guys in our line up did last season. He would be a respectable #9 hitter, and yes, some teams don't have a respectable #9 hitter. Izturis can bat 9th, and hopefully get on base 33 % of the time for the top of the order. The numbers Izturis put up in 2009 were pretty damn good... If he can get somewhere in between his 09 season and 12 season then we just got a bargin.

The lowest offensive positions in the AL are Catcher, SS followed by 2B. Every team has a weak position, let's call 2B ours.

RF - Strength, Game breaking talent, best power hitter to date
CF - Can drive in runs, but lets hope that average raises. Not sure what to expect.
LF -
3B - Strength, could be a huge year pending he's healthy.
SS - Average. Hech, or Yunel. expectations will be on par.
2B - Weakness.
1B - Strength, EE is legit. offenseivly that is.
C - Power, defensively sound. let's call him average.

If AA can put some money toward making LF a strength than our offence is pretty damn good.

As long as our rotation is Top 10, i'm satisfied.

Last edited by HappyGilmourr: 11-08-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old
11-08-2012, 07:24 PM
HappyGilmourr

lolllll.... Carson thinks Ozzie would be a good manager for the jays.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...ozzie_guillen/

He's right in the sense it would defiantly take pressure of some of our guys as he would be our spokes person. He has a history of winning, and he's experienced. seems like everything we want, but.....

it's ozzie guilen lol. AA would need some rock hard stones to pull that off, not suggesting he would want to or anything.

Old
11-08-2012, 07:52 PM
HappyGilmourr

just looking at our team and man this team needs a guy that can hit for a high average. Just looking at our lineup and I don't see one guy with a strong possibility at even sniffing .300. Closest would be Lawrie... Next Maybe Edwin but he will be more power and rbi's - around .270. We have about 5 guys who should hit at least 20 homers but no one who can get on base.

Put me in the category that says we go all in on pitching, but man do we need a guy that can hit for average.

Most teams just seem to have that one guy... damn it lol

Old
11-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

I wonder if AA will look at Swisher for the LF spot. His numbers are a bit inflated from playing in NY, but he's a 4 WAR player. Although he'd be a nice switch hitter behind EE in the 5 spot, I'm afraid of what his contact demands are.

I'm also a bit concerned about whether he's a good team guy or a bit of a head case. He always seems really buddy-buddy with his teammates, but I wonder what they actually think of the guy.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
just looking at our team and man this team needs a guy that can hit for a high average. Just looking at our lineup and I don't see one guy with a strong possibility at even sniffing .300. Closest would be Lawrie... Next Maybe Edwin but he will be more power and rbi's - around .270. We have about 5 guys who should hit at least 20 homers but no one who can get on base.

Put me in the category that says we go all in on pitching, but man do we need a guy that can hit for average.

Most teams just seem to have that one guy... damn it lol
No one who can get on base? EE had a .380 OBP this past season. Bautista also can be counted on to have a high OBP. Average is overrated.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:17 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
No one who can get on base? EE had a .380 OBP this past season. Bautista also can be counted on to have a high OBP. Average is overrated.
So 2 guys out of 9?

I dont think he meant LITERALLY noone but this team definitely needs to add some better OBP guys to the lineup if they want to win longterm.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:22 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
So 2 guys out of 9?

I dont think he meant LITERALLY noone but this team definitely needs to add some better OBP guys to the lineup if they want to win longterm.
He said every team has one guy that always gets on base. He illustrated as you said that we have two

Old
11-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

In adding Izturis they've got a guy with a very good OBP, although it remains to be seen if he'll be an everyday player. Hopefully they can manage two everyday additions who get on base in LF and, if not 2B, then a platoon mate for Lind who can hit lefties. It sounds like it's something that Anthopolous values, and hopefully the new manager (and - God willing - new batting instructor) will make a priority.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
So 2 guys out of 9?

To be fair, Yunel and Rasmus have had OBP north of 360. Same goes for Brett Lawrie. Adam Lind too (if you want to go all the way to 2009). I think the recent on base deficiencies of this team has more to do with approach than personnel. Maybe a new manager and coaching staff will help change the hitting culture.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:14 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Like the Izturis signing.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:50 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Anibal Sanchez wants a $90 million deal 6 yrs

Old
11-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Dark Knight
#TheStroShow

I dont think you'll see the Jays land any big fish.

11-08-2012, 10:24 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

jake marisnick has just hit his first home run of the AFL, it was a do doubter, he looks like he is getting comfortable, breakout season next year in AA

Old
11-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Swervin81
Mo Riles Mo Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
To be honest, alot of teams need those types of players. You can't be so demanding. Detroit has the likes of Delmon Young at DH, Dirks and Garcia in the outfield. Every team no matter how good they are, has holes where they can improve. It's where and how you allocate the resources you have that counts. Many successful postseason teams have players who overachieve at the appropriate time aswell.
This. Every lineup in the league has at least 2 holes. If the only 2 holes on the Jays were 2B and LF, I could live with that if we were getting good D from those positions. We need 2 #2 level SPs if we're to compete IMO.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:30 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I dont think you'll see the Jays land any big fish.
This is why we likely won't compete in the AL East, yet again.

Prove me wrong AA + Rogers!!!

Closed Thread