HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-season madness!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-02-2012, 01:18 PM
  #101
Everlong
-
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,847
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Great movie too lol.




Was thinking "Money Talks" when a new thread needed to be created.

Everlong is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 01:23 PM
  #102
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey
 
Diamond Joe Quimby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
I think there is a bad vibe about the Jays these days. You look at coaches, scouts and other employees all moving on to other organizations it seems like the atmosphere is toxic in Jays land.

How hard is it to hire a manager seriously. You have interviewed them and people inside the baseball world know all about other coaches even before they become a candidate.

Just my view is I think the shine is off AA and now he is forced into the FA market to make the MLB team better and compete. Fans see the Orioles make the playoffs and all the big spending teams go to the playoffs each year and they want a winner.

The fact they kept ignoring the FA market when they could have filled a hole last year say in LF with Willingham, Kubel or some other guy for half decent money then now instead of 4 holes to fill they would have only 3 holes to fill.

The MLB team has been ignored since AA has taken over and the so called toolsy players he has brought in like Escobar and Rasmus are just the headaches and inconsistent players they were before they arrived.

Sure the farm has some talent at the lower level but what most casual fans want to see is a winning MLB team. Sure the hardcore fans who love prospects will say wait wait but how many more years of ****** MLB teams will happen before they make the playoffs.

What bothers me is teams like the Giants, Cardinals among other teams still stockpile the farm but also go out in FA and make their teams better year after year.....AA has ignored the MLB team and now its crunch time and fans are starting to get mad.

If you read up on sportsnet and tsn comment sections after an article (which where the casual fan will post) they are none too happy with the organization.
Okay. First, those comments might be the most outlandish, uninformed, and asinine opinions you'll ever read. That's first. Second, coaches leaving the organization, I wouldn't worry too much about. Mike Redmond gets promoted from A+ ball to a Major League job, you shake his hand and tell him good luck. The others who left with Farrell literally are so easily replaceable, its sickening.

As for the hiring of a manager; wouldn't you be happy with an individual taking their time to find the right man for the job, especially with NO real reason to rush through the process? (This question is rhetorical, because any answer, other than yes, would be absolutely ludicrous)

Finally, AA has not ignored the MLB team, he simply has built his core, re-signed said core, and is now ready to add to said core. After this winter, if the status quo is maintained, feel free to hit that panic button. I respect your right to have an opinion, but I beg you; please do not form said opinions using contributions from ridiculous and absurd attitudes held by uninformed individuals. You're better than that. Tsn and Sportnet are cesspools for loudmouth stupidity and under informed anger; like listening to a Jays Talk after a loss. Don't pollute your mind!

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 01:26 PM
  #103
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,793
vCash: 350
TSN and SN comments feature either the biggest homers or the biggest trolls.

Eyedea is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 01:29 PM
  #104
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
TSN and SN comments feature either the biggest homers or the biggest trolls.
every once in a while I'll read them just for a good laugh. It's like listening to 10 year olds have a discussion about sports. Always, great for a laugh and that's about it. I don't think I've ever seen a reasonable post there.

dredeye is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 01:38 PM
  #105
Ohio Jones
Moderator
The other Dexter
 
Ohio Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
I think there is a bad vibe about the Jays these days. You look at coaches, scouts and other employees all moving on to other organizations it seems like the atmosphere is toxic in Jays land.
Coach turnover is always high when a new manager is hired, as coaches often Tfollow a manager. That does not equate to a toxic atmosphere. Unless you're suggesting Dunedin's manager (and former marlins catcher) wouldn't have taken the Marlins job if Farrell and Anthopolous had gotten along better? Will you say the same thing about team X if a new Jays manager from that organization brings some of his people with him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
How hard is it to hire a manager seriously. You have interviewed them and people inside the baseball world know all about other coaches even before they become a candidate.
Anthopolous has a better understanding of te org's needs from a manager than he did a couple of years ago. And candidates' situations may have changed over 24 months. You still have to do your due diligence. That said, I don't expect it to take long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Just my view is I think the shine is off AA and now he is forced into the FA market to make the MLB team better and compete. Fans see the Orioles make the playoffs and all the big spending teams go to the playoffs each year and they want a winner.
He's not being "forced" into the FA market, he always intended and expected to be a player in free agency at this stage. But he's approaching it with a much clearer picture of where and how best to spend the team's budget for maximum benefit.

Nobody - including the Orioles - expected them to make a wildcard spot. Flukes do happen in sports, you can't plan for it. As far as big-spending teams all making he playoffs, as many didn't as did. But yes, this team does need to spend money - and spend it wisely - to improve its chances of making the post-season next year. That's not a secret, and Jays management have been saying that for months, so it's hardly revolutionary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
The fact they kept ignoring the FA market when they could have filled a hole last year say in LF with Willingham, Kubel or some other guy for half decent money then now instead of 4 holes to fill they would have only 3 holes to fill.

The MLB team has been ignored since AA has taken over and the so called toolsy players he has brought in like Escobar and Rasmus are just the headaches and inconsistent players they were before they arrived.
Both fair criticisms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Sure the farm has some talent at the lower level but what most casual fans want to see is a winning MLB team. Sure the hardcore fans who love prospects will say wait wait but how many more years of ****** MLB teams will happen before they make the playoffs.
What's this? Fans want to see a winning team? Heresy!

Seriously, duh. But the Jays' system had been mismanaged under Ricciardi, so Anthopolous had a lot of work to do to get the franchise to a place where ownership would buy in and support the kind of investment at the pro level you're talking about. But he hasn't ignored the MLB roster, it's just not a finished product yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
What bothers me is teams like the Giants, Cardinals among other teams still stockpile the farm but also go out in FA and make their teams better year after year.....AA has ignored the MLB team and now its crunch time and fans are starting to get mad.
As I said, Anthopolous hasn't ignored the pro roster. He got out from under some bad contracts, he's added core talent through trades, and he's spent money to secure major pieces. Now he can supplement those moves with some free agents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
If you read up on sportsnet and tsn comment sections after an article (which where the casual fan will post) they are none too happy with the organization.
The minute a GM or Manager starts to listen to the carping of fans - even informed fans, never mind casual fans - is the minute they've lost control of their job and should be given the boot.

Ohio Jones is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 01:46 PM
  #106
ryno23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Okay. First, those comments might be the most outlandish, uninformed, and asinine opinions you'll ever read. That's first. Second, coaches leaving the organization, I wouldn't worry too much about. Mike Redmond gets promoted from A+ ball to a Major League job, you shake his hand and tell him good luck. The others who left with Farrell literally are so easily replaceable, its sickening.

As for the hiring of a manager; wouldn't you be happy with an individual taking their time to find the right man for the job, especially with NO real reason to rush through the process? (This question is rhetorical, because any answer, other than yes, would be absolutely ludicrous)

Finally, AA has not ignored the MLB team, he simply has built his core, re-signed said core, and is now ready to add to said core. After this winter, if the status quo is maintained, feel free to hit that panic button. I respect your right to have an opinion, but I beg you; please do not form said opinions using contributions from ridiculous and absurd attitudes held by uninformed individuals. You're better than that. Tsn and Sportnet are cesspools for loudmouth stupidity and under informed anger; like listening to a Jays Talk after a loss. Don't pollute your mind!
Thanks for the great response and I will remember to call your stupid opinions as well.

Just look at what was going on with this franchise and tell me its not toxic

1. Manager and GM don't talk or get along
2. Manager lets player go onto the field with a racial slur
3. Star player calling out gm at the All-Star game asking for better players as to not waste his prime years
4. Hall of Famer (Vizquel)criticizing manager/organization for bad clubhouse and professionalism.

These are just the things we know about thru the media imagine all the other stuff behind closed doors we do not even hear of.

Yes AA has ignored the MLB roster....you talk about core......what is so great about this core its a sub .500 team. Who is your core? Escobar, Rasmus????

To me the core is Lawrie, Morrow and Romero and after that a bunch of question marks in Gose, Hech, D'Arnaud whom all have little to no MLB experience and the jury is out on if they will be any good let along a core piece. Rasmus is not a core piece to me and can easily be replaced by a better player. Same goes with Escobar he is not a core piece. Both player have talent but just don't have the mental ability to become great players.

You then got guys like Jose who is 32, EE who is 30, but where are they going to be in 5 years when all that supposed stud pitching hits the team.


So really the core is Lawrie and a buch of guys of might be prospects and 2 studs in their 30's

Ignoring the MLB team is bringing in Corey Patterson's, Frank Fransico's and Fransico Cordero's of the world and pass them off as big time acquisitions.

As for the manager wouldn't you want to have the guy in place who is going to manage these guys and some of the free agents they may attract and get his opinion on how he wants to run the ball club what style of play he wants to implement. If I was the boss I would want my manager in place before hiring employees and telling the manager here is your player now sorry they don't fit your game plan but good luck.

And who are you to judge the people on TSN and Sportsnet comment sections? Do you even know any of these people how do you know they are not informed and just rant after a guy like the rest of us who are tired of watching a sub .500 team compete on a shoestring budget knowing full well the need to add significant payroll to compete in today's baseball climate.

At the end of the day it boils down to AA finally putting a winner on the field this year and providing the fans of the Jays a winner and a team that will compete right till the end of the season for a playoff spot.

Enough of the talk from AA/Beeston just get it done.

ryno23 is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 01:58 PM
  #107
ryno23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Coach turnover is always high when a new manager is hired, as coaches often Tfollow a manager. That does not equate to a toxic atmosphere. Unless you're suggesting Dunedin's manager (and former marlins catcher) wouldn't have taken the Marlins job if Farrell and Anthopolous had gotten along better? Will you say the same thing about team X if a new Jays manager from that organization brings some of his people with him?



Anthopolous has a better understanding of te org's needs from a manager than he did a couple of years ago. And candidates' situations may have changed over 24 months. You still have to do your due diligence. That said, I don't expect it to take long.



He's not being "forced" into the FA market, he always intended and expected to be a player in free agency at this stage. But he's approaching it with a much clearer picture of where and how best to spend the team's budget for maximum benefit.

Nobody - including the Orioles - expected them to make a wildcard spot. Flukes do happen in sports, you can't plan for it. As far as big-spending teams all making he playoffs, as many didn't as did. But yes, this team does need to spend money - and spend it wisely - to improve its chances of making the post-season next year. That's not a secret, and Jays management have been saying that for months, so it's hardly revolutionary.



Both fair criticisms.



What's this? Fans want to see a winning team? Heresy!

Seriously, duh. But the Jays' system had been mismanaged under Ricciardi, so Anthopolous had a lot of work to do to get the franchise to a place where ownership would buy in and support the kind of investment at the pro level you're talking about. But he hasn't ignored the MLB roster, it's just not a finished product yet.



As I said, Anthopolous hasn't ignored the pro roster. He got out from under some bad contracts, he's added core talent through trades, and he's spent money to secure major pieces. Now he can supplement those moves with some free agents.



The minute a GM or Manager starts to listen to the carping of fans - even informed fans, never mind casual fans - is the minute they've lost control of their job and should be given the boot.

I understand where your coming from and I do respect the way you go about responding to other people comments....true professional way but like my other post to Diamond. I just don't see this core good enough.

If they add 4 spots #2 and 3 pitcher, LF, 2b do you really think they have a shot at the playoffs? You don't think they need upgrades on Escobar, Rasmus, JPA among other players? What about the DH spot.

ryno23 is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 02:12 PM
  #108
Ohio Jones
Moderator
The other Dexter
 
Ohio Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
And who are you to judge the people on TSN and Sportsnet comment sections? Do you even know any of these people how do you know they are not informed and just rant after a guy like the rest of us who are tired of watching a sub .500 team compete on a shoestring budget knowing full well the need to add significant payroll to compete in today's baseball climate.
I was going to do another point-by-point response, but this comment has completely thrown me. There are certainly a lot of impassioned comments from fans either happy or unhappy with whatever is being discussed... But the ratio of uninformed crap to informed discussion is about 20:1 on those sites. On a good day. By all means, enjoy the comments as a collective catharsis about whatever crisis fans are jumping over on any given day, but don't ever pretend it's a place for productive, intelligent discussion of the issues.


Last edited by Ohio Jones: 11-02-2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Overboard, and I apologize
Ohio Jones is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 02:21 PM
  #109
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster
 
dredeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,714
vCash: 500
there's a lot of waiver action today. Teams moving around bodies a lot today. I have a feeling we'll see a pretty busy free agency early which should add a little fun to the forums.

dredeye is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 02:23 PM
  #110
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey
 
Diamond Joe Quimby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Thanks for the great response and I will remember to call your stupid opinions as well.

Just look at what was going on with this franchise and tell me its not toxic

1. Manager and GM don't talk or get along
2. Manager lets player go onto the field with a racial slur
3. Star player calling out gm at the All-Star game asking for better players as to not waste his prime years
4. Hall of Famer (Vizquel)criticizing manager/organization for bad clubhouse and professionalism.


These are just the things we know about thru the media imagine all the other stuff behind closed doors we do not even hear of.

Yes AA has ignored the MLB roster....you talk about core......what is so great about this core its a sub .500 team. Who is your core? Escobar, Rasmus????

To me the core is Lawrie, Morrow and Romero and after that a bunch of question marks in Gose, Hech, D'Arnaud whom all have little to no MLB experience and the jury is out on if they will be any good let along a core piece. Rasmus is not a core piece to me and can easily be replaced by a better player. Same goes with Escobar he is not a core piece. Both player have talent but just don't have the mental ability to become great players.

You then got guys like Jose who is 32, EE who is 30, but where are they going to be in 5 years when all that supposed stud pitching hits the team.


So really the core is Lawrie and a buch of guys of might be prospects and 2 studs in their 30's

Ignoring the MLB team is bringing in Corey Patterson's, Frank Fransico's and Fransico Cordero's of the world and pass them off as big time acquisitions.

As for the manager wouldn't you want to have the guy in place who is going to manage these guys and some of the free agents they may attract and get his opinion on how he wants to run the ball club what style of play he wants to implement. If I was the boss I would want my manager in place before hiring employees and telling the manager here is your player now sorry they don't fit your game plan but good luck.

And who are you to judge the people on TSN and Sportsnet comment sections? Do you even know any of these people how do you know they are not informed and just rant after a guy like the rest of us who are tired of watching a sub .500 team compete on a shoestring budget knowing full well the need to add significant payroll to compete in today's baseball climate.

At the end of the day it boils down to AA finally putting a winner on the field this year and providing the fans of the Jays a winner and a team that will compete right till the end of the season for a playoff spot.

Enough of the talk from AA/Beeston just get it done.
Sigh. I didn't call your opinions stupid (or stupid opinions..?) I actually said I respect your right to an opinion. Anyway,

1. Speculation, never confirmed
2. No longer the manager. Hip-hip-hurray
3. Please find me the quote in which Jose stated "stop wasting my prime years" If you can even find him saying the words "prime years" out of context, I'll completely apologize.
4. Again, said manager is no longer employed by organization. And, Vizquel did not criticize the organization, he rather criticized the coaches and manager and their poor communication with players.

- The core of the team is Morrow, Romero, Lawrie, Bautista, Encarnacion, Santos, Janssen. They are complemented by other people under contract who have decent track records like Escobar, Arencibia, and Rasmus. You've stated that Escobar and Rasmus aren't core players; I believe they are complementary, 4 WAR performers who are coming off poor seasons. Could they be replaced, sure. But they're not the biggest problem this team has.
The younger players are prospects whom you hope can join said core. We have no idea how they'll turn out, and the few that were up this year were emergency call-ups due to injuries to core players. However, the gentlemen I mentioned are part of the current core of the Blue Jays. Age has nothing to do with someone a team is built around. Derek Jeter is a big part of the core of the Yankees, and he is 38.

- AA has never, ever, stated that the team was ready to contend in ANY of his previous years at the helm. He brought in "stop gaps" to fill certain positions, and somehow turned said stop gaps into assets in some instances. See Happ, J.A. (whom I assume you see no value in) or Rasmus, Corey (whom you already stated doesn't have the 'mental ability' to be a core player). I agree that this winter, according to his stated original plan, is the time to add. I believe he'll do so.

- What does a manager's style preference have to do with pitching? Pitching is the main need of the Blue Jays, whether you want to believe it or not. The team is not deficient offensively as presently comprised, if healthy. This can be seen through the performance of the offense up until Jose Bautista sustained his injury in New York. Pitching can be acquired just fine without a manager at the helm.

As for the users who comment on the TSN and Sportsnet sites; it was wrong of me to paint them all with a broad brush and not qualify my statement. The majority of the comments I have read, IMO, are absolutely asinine. I can hypothesize by reading said comments that the individual posting the comments may not possess in-depth baseball knowledge, and establish their opinions based on vague information from unreliable mediums. That's my opinion. Feel free to call it "stupid."

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 02:37 PM
  #111
ryno23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
Sigh. I didn't call your opinions stupid (or stupid opinions..?) I actually said I respect your right to an opinion. Anyway,

1. Speculation, never confirmed
2. No longer the manager. Hip-hip-hurray
3. Please find me the quote in which Jose stated "stop wasting my prime years" If you can even find him saying the words "prime years" out of context, I'll completely apologize.
4. Again, said manager is no longer employed by organization. And, Vizquel did not criticize the organization, he rather criticized the coaches and manager and their poor communication with players.

- The core of the team is Morrow, Romero, Lawrie, Bautista, Encarnacion, Santos, Janssen. They are complemented by other people under contract who have decent track records like Escobar, Arencibia, and Rasmus. You've stated that Escobar and Rasmus aren't core players; I believe they are complementary, 4 WAR performers who are coming off poor seasons. Could they be replaced, sure. But they're not the biggest problem this team has.
The younger players are prospects whom you hope can join said core. We have no idea how they'll turn out, and the few that were up this year were emergency call-ups due to injuries to core players. However, the gentlemen I mentioned are part of the current core of the Blue Jays. Age has nothing to do with someone a team is built around. Derek Jeter is a big part of the core of the Yankees, and he is 38.

- AA has never, ever, stated that the team was ready to contend in ANY of his previous years at the helm. He brought in "stop gaps" to fill certain positions, and somehow turned said stop gaps into assets in some instances. See Happ, J.A. (whom I assume you see no value in) or Rasmus, Corey (whom you already stated doesn't have the 'mental ability' to be a core player). I agree that this winter, according to his stated original plan, is the time to add. I believe he'll do so.

- What does a manager's style preference have to do with pitching? Pitching is the main need of the Blue Jays, whether you want to believe it or not. The team is not deficient offensively as presently comprised, if healthy. This can be seen through the performance of the offense up until Jose Bautista sustained his injury in New York. Pitching can be acquired just fine without a manager at the helm.

As for the users who comment on the TSN and Sportsnet sites; it was wrong of me to paint them all with a broad brush and not qualify my statement. The majority of the comments I have read, IMO, are absolutely asinine. I can hypothesize by reading said comments that the individual posting the comments may not possess in-depth baseball knowledge, and establish their opinions based on vague information from unreliable mediums. That's my opinion. Feel free to call it "stupid."
Well said and I do get what your saying about the ballclub and lets hope they finally put a team on the field who will compete for a playoff spot.

So basically Farell was the reason for tons of ****....hopefully that is true and his act plays out in Boston the same way to keep them down.

I am still worried about guys like Lawrie, Rasmus, Escobar all guys with talent but no sense of how to conduct themselves as professionals and play the game the right way. When I hear Lawrie say yeah I am going to steal 3rd again even tough he was totally wrong I worry about character.

I hope the next manager brings in attitude where you play like a pro and act like a pro or your not playing. Guys like Joe Torre, Kirk Gibson, Jim Leyland, Tony Larussa all guys that command respect and get the players to play the right way.

ryno23 is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 02:48 PM
  #112
Bob Barker
Registered User
 
Bob Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Both Anthopolous and Beeston have been very clear that they've got the green light to be serious players in free agency, so while I understand people's skepticism, I think it's misplaced in this case.
I don't think it's misplaced until things start happening. I'm not one of those "let's spend for the sake of spending" people, but the skepticism is fair, in my opinion.


Unrelated note:
This is a big offseason. Mr. Bautista is not getting any younger. Yankees are aging, Boston is sketchy. It's a big offseason for everyone in the AL East. Is this the window of opportunity? We'll see by the moves that occur over the next several months.

Bob Barker is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 02:56 PM
  #113
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey
 
Diamond Joe Quimby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 4,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
Well said and I do get what your saying about the ballclub and lets hope they finally put a team on the field who will compete for a playoff spot.

So basically Farell was the reason for tons of ****....hopefully that is true and his act plays out in Boston the same way to keep them down.

I am still worried about guys like Lawrie, Rasmus, Escobar all guys with talent but no sense of how to conduct themselves as professionals and play the game the right way. When I hear Lawrie say yeah I am going to steal 3rd again even tough he was totally wrong I worry about character.

I hope the next manager brings in attitude where you play like a pro and act like a pro or your not playing. Guys like Joe Torre, Kirk Gibson, Jim Leyland, Tony Larussa all guys that command respect and get the players to play the right way.
Yes sir. We can certainly agree that a wise, talented, hard-nosed manager will be a welcome addition to the organization. I'm sure it'll happen soon my friend.

With Brett, remember he is still very young. A twenty-three year old who is a cocky and cavalier shouldn't be too surprising. Just give him time for his mind to catch up to his talent. As for Escobar and Rasmus, like I said, think of them as complimentary pieces, capable of 4 WAR, rather than core pieces.

As for AA, if he doesn't improve the pitching, and frankly the team as whole this winter, I'll be right with you in your frustration. You're absolutely correct in saying that it's time for a winner to be put on the field. That point I'll never disagree with you on.

Diamond Joe Quimby is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 02:57 PM
  #114
Ohio Jones
Moderator
The other Dexter
 
Ohio Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 500
Keep in mind Lawrie is 21 (sorry, 23), and until this point in his career he has always been the most talented player on the field. He's understandably cocky, but time and coaching will even him out.

Escobar is 29, so doesn't have the same excuse. But his WAR at SS on his contract (even in an off year) is enough of a bargain to overlook the fact that he's a bit of a jerk.

Ohio Jones is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 02:58 PM
  #115
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno23 View Post
I understand where your coming from and I do respect the way you go about responding to other people comments....true professional way but like my other post to Diamond. I just don't see this core good enough.

If they add 4 spots #2 and 3 pitcher, LF, 2b do you really think they have a shot at the playoffs? You don't think they need upgrades on Escobar, Rasmus, JPA among other players? What about the DH spot.
I'm getting pretty sick of hearing some people act like we need to upgrade at every position.

As clearly evidenced over the past 3 years, you don't need to be the Yankees to win the World Series. We don't need to have an all-star or former all-star at every position 1 through 9, to win the championship.

Escobar's career numbers make him a well above average short stop. Rasmus while he struggled at times last year, he also lit the world on fire for other stretches. He's more than capable of being a starting outfielder and bottom half of the order bat on a wolrd series team. Ditto with JPA.

Sure an upgrade at one of those positions, such as catcher would be great. But as long as we fill our lineup out with with solid pieces as we go, we can be a playoff team. Arms is #1, if we can get one front end guy and one middle rotation innings eater we should be okay.

Offensively we've been a consistent top 10 team. Sure we have deficiencies getting on base, and rely on the longball too often at times, if you've got a good staff run support is all that matters... and thats something this lineup has been able to do.

topched is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:02 PM
  #116
Bob Barker
Registered User
 
Bob Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I'm getting pretty sick of hearing everyone act like we need to upgrade at every position.

As clearly evidenced over the past 3 years, you don't need to be the Yankees to win the World Series. We don't need to have an all-star or former all-star at every position 1 through 9, to win the championship.

Escobar's career numbers make him a well above average short stop. Rasmus while he struggled at times last year, he also lit the world on fire for other stretches. He's more than capable of being a starting outfielder and bottom half of the order bat on a wolrd series team. Ditto with JPA.

Sure an upgrade at one of those positions, such as catcher would be great. But as long as we fill our lineup out with with solid pieces as we go, we can be a playoff team. Arms is #1, if we can get one front end guy and one middle rotation innings eater we should be okay.

Offensively we've been a consistent top 10 team. Sure we have deficiencies getting on base, and rely on the longball too often at times, if you've got a good staff run support is all that matters... and thats something this lineup has been able to do.
Agreed. I think the places we need to worry about are LF, 2B and SP. I was going to say more, but I can't say it any better than your post.

Also, Brett Lawrie would be quite low on my list of worries.

Bob Barker is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:06 PM
  #117
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke
 
Nazem Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Francais-land
Country: France
Posts: 10,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I'm getting pretty sick of hearing some people act like we need to upgrade at every position.

As clearly evidenced over the past 3 years, you don't need to be the Yankees to win the World Series. We don't need to have an all-star or former all-star at every position 1 through 9, to win the championship.

Escobar's career numbers make him a well above average short stop. Rasmus while he struggled at times last year, he also lit the world on fire for other stretches. He's more than capable of being a starting outfielder and bottom half of the order bat on a wolrd series team. Ditto with JPA.

Sure an upgrade at one of those positions, such as catcher would be great. But as long as we fill our lineup out with with solid pieces as we go, we can be a playoff team. Arms is #1, if we can get one front end guy and one middle rotation innings eater we should be okay.

Offensively we've been a consistent top 10 team. Sure we have deficiencies getting on base, and rely on the longball too often at times, if you've got a good staff run support is all that matters... and thats something this lineup has been able to do.
Sorry, when was this? I seem to remember them trading Rasmus and then playing Jon Jay, who is better.

Nazem Gretzky is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:13 PM
  #118
Bob Barker
Registered User
 
Bob Barker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Sorry, when was this? I seem to remember them trading Rasmus and then playing Jon Jay, who is better.
He's saying that Rasmus isn't the best player in the league, or even close to it right now, but he is not the first concern.

Would I love Matt Kemp on the Jays? Yes. But it's not going to happen. So, work on upgrading positions of greater need. Would I rather keep Rasmus and get an upgrade on Johnson or some SP help? Definitely. In my opinion, Rasmus is an acceptable CF. Not outstanding, (although there's some potential there) but the SF Giants even didn't have 9 all-stars.

Bob Barker is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:14 PM
  #119
Leafssss
Registered User
 
Leafssss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: CANADA
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 500
Anyone else think AA isn't hiring a manager because he wants Greinke to choose one as incentive to coming here?

Leafssss is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:14 PM
  #120
trellaine201
Registered User
 
trellaine201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Left coast
Posts: 6,451
vCash: 500
I'd trade rasmus in a heart beat.

trellaine201 is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:18 PM
  #121
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 11,793
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Anyone else think AA isn't hiring a manager because he wants Greinke to choose one as incentive to coming here?
Why would that matter? Pitchers spend more time with the pitching coach, not the manager.


Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
I'd trade rasmus in a heart beat.
I'd only trade him if we have a stronger candidate for centre field this year (and even then I'd transition him to LF). Bourn isn't coming here, Gose needs some seasoning in the AAA, Rasmus can also rebound from his poor play these last two seasons. So I don't understand why you would want to trade him.

Also his value is at an all time low.

Eyedea is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:19 PM
  #122
Woodman19
#TeamBernier
 
Woodman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,548
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Anyone else think AA isn't hiring a manager because he wants Greinke to choose one as incentive to coming here?
No, I think we have not found one yet because we are still looking and interviewing the candidates.

Woodman19 is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:21 PM
  #123
topched
Registered User
 
topched's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
Sorry, when was this? I seem to remember them trading Rasmus and then playing Jon Jay, who is better.
Colby vs. Starting outfielder for San Fran in '10 and '12


141 .244 HR 5 RBI 34 Runs 56 SB 26

105 .220 HR 11 RBI 34 Runs 42 SB 5

151 .223 HR 23 RBI 75 Runs 75 SB 4

Argument isn't about whether Rasmus is better than 2010 Jon Jay. If we had a wealth of riches in the OF i'd trade one for a starter and 2 relievers too. Solid proof that you can win with league average quality players at certain positions. We don't need Curtis Granderson hitting 8th in our lineup.

topched is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:22 PM
  #124
The Man in White
Registered User
 
The Man in White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,031
vCash: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
I'd trade rasmus in a heart beat.
Of course you would.

The Man in White is offline  
Old
11-02-2012, 03:23 PM
  #125
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke
 
Nazem Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Francais-land
Country: France
Posts: 10,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Colby vs. Starting outfielder for San Fran in '10 and '12


.244 HR 5 RBI 34 Runs 56 SB 26

.220 HR 11 RBI 34 Runs 42 SB 5

.223 HR 23 RBI 75 Runs 75 SB 4

Argument isn't about whether Rasmus is better than 2010 Jon Jay. If we had a wealth of riches in the OF i'd trade one for a starter and 2 relievers too.
I see your point now.

Nazem Gretzky is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.