HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers to Complete "Wow Factor Trade"?

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2012, 01:24 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
IMO, it will either be nothing at all or a "wow" trade that just involves a player that people are not talking about, but no one that high profile.

It's obvious Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, and for that matter Schultz are untouchable, so it can't be anything too "wow", but we could trade for a solid piece with non-core assets.
This seems likely. I just don't see how Edmonton could bring in a significant addition without sending something significant the other way.

Old
11-06-2012, 01:45 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

vCash: 500
I think it's fair to say the big 4 aren't going anywhere. Tambo may not be the brightest person in the world, but even he isn't that dumb to trade one of them away, unless an untouchable piece from another team (I'm talking Pietrangelo/Doughty level) is coming back. I love Subban and would definitely want to add him, but not for Yakupov, Hall, Ebs, or RNH. If there are no other pieces Montreal is interested in, then there's no deal to be made.

Old
11-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 1200
I don't see what kind of impact player would be on the market for less than one of the big 4, though. Excepting Luongo, of course.

Players who might be available, like Yandle, Krejci, etc, I don't see being moved for something comprised of Hemsky/Gagner/MPS/etc.

Old
11-06-2012, 01:52 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Honestly, If subban for eberle was offered, I would do it.

Subban would add another dimension to the oilers, and with all the forward talent, Losing Eberle would not be as big as a blow as people think.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:09 AM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I don't see what kind of impact player would be on the market for less than one of the big 4, though. Excepting Luongo, of course.

Players who might be available, like Yandle, Krejci, etc, I don't see being moved for something comprised of Hemsky/Gagner/MPS/etc.
Don't think Stauffer said impact player.
In my mind putting the pieces together its probably Bouwmeester which is more "meh" than "wow"
Stauffer has links to the Bouwmeester family.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:14 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
Don't think Stauffer said impact player.
In my mind putting the pieces together its probably Bouwmeester which is more "meh" than "wow"
Stauffer has links to the Bouwmeester family.
Calgary has shown they're in win-now mode, what do the Oilers have to tempt them? And who would replace him?

Old
11-06-2012, 02:14 AM
soothsayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
That seems to fly in the face of making a "wow factor" trade. You have to give to get.
You are under the assumption that a "wow" trade implies "wow" players. From the sounds of the rumors that are afoot around Edmonton, its either Luongo or Bouwmeester. Stauffer's hints lean toward Bouwmeester. In either case, the player could be had without one of the pieces mentioned in the post you quoted. In short, the "wow" seems to refer to the significance of the trade, not to the player(s) that the Oilers would be getting.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:17 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soothsayer View Post
You are under the assumption that a "wow" trade implies "wow" players. From the sounds of the rumors that are afoot around Edmonton, its either Luongo or Bouwmeester. Stauffer's hints lean toward Bouwmeester. In either case, the player could be had without one of the pieces mentioned in the post you quoted. In short, the "wow" seems to refer to the significance of the trade, not to the player(s) that the Oilers would be getting.
Then the term "wow" is being used very loosely, soothsayer.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
No, it really doesnt.
It does in the context of a "wow factor" trade.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:18 AM
SDig14

People are thinking too big, which leads to all the crazy talk about our young players.

I bet it's more along the lines of a Jaybo, Paul Martin, etc type of pickup, a guy making bigger money with not much term left that may or may not cost all that much.

I personally don't see why the flames trade Jaybo since they somehow believe they can contend, but the rumours asking price isn't close to the kids, so I could see management looking into it, notwithstanding the NMC.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:19 AM
soothsayer

Quote:
Then the term "wow" is being used very loosely, soothsayer.
Bouwmeester to Edmonton would make Alberta say "wow", at least.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:21 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Bouwmeester to Edmonton would make Alberta say "wow", at least.
Yeah, but see... I'd only consider it a wow factor trade if other people said wow too, and while adding Bouwmeester helps Edmonton, that really isn't wow worthy. It would just be a lot of hyperbole to make it sound better than it really is. This just goes back to "wow" being used too loosely.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:21 AM
soothsayer

Quote:
People are thinking too big, which leads to all the crazy talk about our young players.

I bet it's more along the lines of a Jaybo, Paul Martin, etc type of pickup, a guy making bigger money with not much term left that may or may not cost all that much.

I personally don't see why the flames trade Jaybo since they somehow believe they can contend, but the rumours asking price isn't close to the kids, so I could see management looking into it, notwithstanding the NMC.
Stauffer's hints really make it sound like Bouwmeester. He says a cap-squeezed team looking to get rid of a good player who is overpaid to the point where he could be a candidate for a buyout. I can't help but think Bouwmeester.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:22 AM
soothsayer

Quote:
Yeah, but see... I'd only consider it a wow factor trade if other people said wow too, and while adding Bouwmeester helps Edmonton, that really isn't wow worthy. It would just be a lot of hyperbole to make it sound better than it really is. This just goes back to "wow" being used too loosely.
I think you may be taking "wow" in a strange way. Think "wow" as in "what the ****", or my favorite, "HUH!?"

Old
11-06-2012, 02:23 AM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Calgary has shown they're in win-now mode, what do the Oilers have to tempt them? And who would replace him?
A few months back some Calgary radio guys agreed Bouwmeester value at 2nd and B prospect (take that as you wish), that fits in with cost like Stauffer is hinting. Stauffer knows the Bouwmeester family so probably has some idea that he would waive for Edm. Would Calgary move him? Who knows?

Old
11-06-2012, 02:24 AM
SDig14

Quote:
You have to keep in mind it's someone else's definition of that term as well.

For all we know its one of those "wow, they got X player for a lot less than I thought they would", even though the player isn't a wow player in their own right.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:38 AM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

Quote:
You have to keep in mind it's someone else's definition of that term as well.

For all we know its one of those "wow, they got X player for a lot less than I thought they would", even though the player isn't a wow player in their own right.
Or that they payed a lot more than people thought they would...

Old
11-06-2012, 02:48 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 133
Quote:
It does in the context of a "wow factor" trade.
Maybe in a "wow" "Look how stupid Edmonton is" kind of way. Other than that, no.

What happened to my post btw?

Seems to have been erased.

PK Subban is a good and valuable player, but not first overall good and valuable.

And Bob Stauffer is an insufferable wind bag and paid shill of the Edmonton Oilers. This is likely nothing more than a diversion to try and make the fans forget about the crazy owner and the new arena debacle.

Old
11-06-2012, 02:57 AM
Whale

All you have to do is look at the potential assets both teams are comfortable moving and you can see that there is definitely room for a wow factor trade

Loungo - True #1 who thrives under run and gun hockey
Raymond - Speed is Edmontons mantra and he would instantly improve the PK
Ballard - Won fastest skater at Canucks skill comp, is also not a puck possession style player who would thrive in Edmontons run and gun style

Gagner - Son of Dave, can play RW or center, is about as perfect a fit for us as imaginable on the second line
Hemsky - Again, would be amazing on the second unit, getting both would actually give the Canucks a second PP unit that is almost as good as the first
Teubert/Picard - The Canucks would love to add a young RHD and there are two to choose from that would fit the teams needs perfectly down the road
Khabibulin - Would be excellent safety net for Schnieds in his first year as a starter, would allow us to get Lack in a few games this year - when he inevitably gets injured. No need to rush Lack.
Pajaarvi - Would fill out the Canucks core of young power forwards with a LW to go with Kassian, Gaunce and Jensen.

And even better yet, the cap hit is pretty much even and the length of contracts would fit both teams long term plans quite well.

To Van:

Gagner (1yr, $3.2, RFA)
Hemsky (2yr, $5.0, UFA)
Kabibulin (1yr, $3.75, UFA)

$11.95 total cap hit

To Edm:

Loungo (9yr, 5.33, UFA*)
Ballard (3yr, 4.25, UFA)
Raymond (1yr, $2.27, UFA)

$11.85 cap hit

I think to get access to Pajaarvi or Teubert the Canucks would probably have to throw in other picks and prospects. Really the Oilers could solve pretty much every problem the Canucks face, even Lander would be interesting to them. If Tambo thinks that this is something that can happen I wouldn`t be surprised if he did make an offer that the Canucks can`t refuse.

I think that the whole `not trading within the division` thing is pretty much a fan delusion. Teams make trades that they think will help them be a better team, true, we would be facing Luongo many times a season, but for the first two we have a lot more firepower. I would say its a saw off, but that both teams resolve a lot of issues in the short and long term. Looks like there is at least a hockey trade to be made there, maybe even worth of being called `wow factor`.

There are problems too. If the Canucks don`t get back a defenceman they do start to lack a bit of depth at the back. On the other hand, Connaughton, Andersson and Sauve are all at the age where they need to start getting some NHL icetime or we might as well just fire Dave Gagne. Personally I think that KCon and Andersson look ready to be at least as effective as Ballard.

For Edmonton, giving up Gagne does seem to weaken the teams depth at center. However, it could also be argued that it makes more sense to move Hall back to center and split the big 4 into two pairs. RNH with Yakupov and Hall with Eberle. Frankly, that gives me chills it is so similar to Gretzky - Kurri, Messier - Anderson. And you have a Coffey, and now there is talk we may trade you a Fuhr fanboy.... oh dear, seems the Oilers are a Semenko, Lowe and Huddy away from reincarnating.

It would be nice to have some Canuck - Oilers games with more emotion than Oilers Dmen being reduced to tears by the twins

Old
11-06-2012, 03:51 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
That seems to fly in the face of making a "wow factor" trade. You have to give to get.
That depends on the other teams reasoning for making such a trade. If it's as much of a case of wanting to shed salary as it is to revamp their team then it could still be a wow type trade. This is the NHL, we've seen many really good players get traded for less than great returns.

With that being said, I'm not holding my breath for some kind of out of this world deal.

11-06-2012, 05:32 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Stauffer's hints really make it sound like Bouwmeester. He says a cap-squeezed team looking to get rid of a good player who is overpaid to the point where he could be a candidate for a buyout. I can't help but think Bouwmeester.
If I remember right Stauffer is a personal friend of Bouwmeester or on of his family. He's been flogging this dead horse for some time now, just treat it as one of Stauffer's Brain Farts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Maybe in a "wow" "Look how stupid Edmonton is" kind of way. Other than that, no.

What happened to my post btw?

Seems to have been erased.

PK Subban is a good and valuable player, but not first overall good and valuable.

And Bob Stauffer is an insufferable wind bag and paid shill of the Edmonton Oilers. This is likely nothing more than a diversion to try and make the fans forget about the crazy owner and the new arena debacle.
He does like to hear himself talk, if it wasn't for the quests he has on the show, no one would listen except Epstein's Mother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
That depends on the other teams reasoning for making such a trade. If it's as much of a case of wanting to shed salary as it is to revamp their team then it could still be a wow type trade. This is the NHL, we've seen many really good players get traded for less than great returns.

With that being said, I'm not holding my breath for some kind of out of this world deal.
Until the CBA is signed, I don't see any WOW trade happening. If it does it will involve Yakupov, his stock seems to raise each day. Just have to watch the Barons and you see the Barons lack a skilled, big C.

The Oilers seem to be set at D, so I don't see any trade evolving a defenseman.

Word to the wise, any rumor coming from Bob Stauffer, treat it as one of his Brain Farts and forget about it. It's a poor attempt by a loud mouth looking for ratings and attention.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:41 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Honestly, If subban for eberle was offered, I would do it.

Subban would add another dimension to the oilers, and with all the forward talent, Losing Eberle would not be as big as a blow as people think.

with the amount of games that hall and rnh missed last season having eberle in the lineup made a big difference for them. sure adding another stud defenseman would be amazing but im sure edmonton would want to see if the addition of schultz will help. edmonton also has a few other young defensive prospects who will be nhl ready soon that while arent as good as subban, are good enough to justify not trading eberle.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:43 AM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
there's no one on the oilers that i would want for luongo.
pass.
: laugh:

Old
11-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
: laugh:
Obviously he means not including the Big 4, lets be realistic here.

I could definitely see him not wanting anyone else currently on the Oilers for Luongo, I wouldnt trade anything significant for Hemsky/Whitney/MPS/Gagner at this point, wouldnt make sense for the Bruins. Luongo is a good goalie, makes no sense to give him up for something that wont make the Canucks better for THIS year, given that they are an elite team and have cup aspirations.

Old
11-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Oilin Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Obviously he means not including the Big 4, lets be realistic here.

I could definitely see him not wanting anyone else currently on the Oilers for Luongo, I wouldnt trade anything significant for Hemsky/Whitney/MPS/Gagner at this point, wouldnt make sense for the Bruins. Luongo is a good goalie, makes no sense to give him up for something that wont make the Canucks better for THIS year, given that they are an elite team and have cup aspirations.
Are you really being realistic here. There's nobody...not even Justin Schultz. Vancouver threw a hissy fit because he chose Edmonton over Van. You mean you don't want Hemsky, PRV, Gagner, Klefbom, Marincin, Musil, Smid....?

I'm sure none of the mentioned above would even make the team!

Closed Thread