HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers to Complete "Wow Factor Trade"?

Closed Thread

Old
11-02-2012, 01:01 PM
blankall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
In what universe would the Oilers be better off with Greiss/Dubnyk over Luongo?

Because the Oilers have a young core, they have no use for above average goaltending for the next several years, because Luongo is over 30?

Only on HF...

They would be better off in the next 2-3 years with Luongo no doubt, but the Oilers need to think well beyond that. Their core is currently aged 19-22. If their core was 3 years older, Luongo would be a better option. However, if the Oilers take on Luongo now, it means they are burning around 3 years of Luongo's prime years while their core develops. Then they are stuck with the final years of Luongo's contract when they should be adding pieces for their window.

The timing is just off. Like I said, the Oilers are much better off going with Dubnyuk and adding a guy like Greiss. Hopefully, one work out and becomes a franchise goalie. If not, they can consider trading for an older more established goalie then.

I guarantee you the asking price for Luongo will not be any more expensive in 3 years than it is now. Also, noone expects the Oilers to win a cup in the next two years, even with Luongo. If they prove people wrong and become serious competitors througout the regular season, that's when you make the big splash move of acquirnig a contract like Luongo's.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Flyerfan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Highlight Reel View Post
Well, as previous history has indicated the Oilers organizations "WOW" factor definition and the rest of the worlds "WOW" factor definition are QUITE different.

Nonetheless, I can unfortunately see the Oilers moving PRV ++ for someone of Luongo's status. Anything less than a headline player will be a disappointment.
Kessel for 2 first rounders had the "wow" factor.

If the Oilers aren't moving the "Fantastic 4" nor Schultz it has to be picks &/or excess prospects. Paajarvi, a 1st in 2013 & a 1st in 2014 for Phaneuf would qualify.

Alternately, a young excess player (Paajarvi, Omark, whoever) & a 1st for Gardiner who can grow with the rest.

Both ways Burke deals a D which is the Leafs only strong point while adding a young forward & recouping @ least 1 first rounder.
Edmonton gains a better defense with @ least some experience (if Gardiner) or a lot (Phaneuf). They have enough young forwards so it's time to add to the back end. Since they are high on Dubnyk, Khabi can serve as backup for the remaining season & there are always experienced backups available as UFA.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
They would be better off in the next 2-3 years with Luongo no doubt, but the Oilers need to think well beyond that. Their core is currently aged 19-22. If their core was 3 years older, Luongo would be a better option. However, if the Oilers take on Luongo now, it means they are burning around 3 years of Luongo's prime years while their core develops. Then they are stuck with the final years of Luongo's contract when they should be adding pieces for their window.

The timing is just off. Like I said, the Oilers are much better off going with Dubnyuk and adding a guy like Greiss. Hopefully, one work out and becomes a franchise goalie. If not, they can consider trading for an older more established goalie then.

I guarantee you the asking price for Luongo will not be any more expensive in 3 years than it is now. Also, noone expects the Oilers to win a cup in the next two years, even with Luongo. If they prove people wrong and become serious competitors througout the regular season, that's when you make the big splash move of acquirnig a contract like Luongo's.
Or maybe Luongo carries them into the playoffs and they catch fire and win the cup. kind of like the Kings

Old
11-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Luongo probably has 3-4 years left and I'd say that's conservative. The Oilers don't expect their big 4 to be good in the next 3-4 years?

Not to mention Dubnyk does not have the ability to be a high-end starter. Gives the Oilers 3-4 years to develop their guy as well. Luongo was a tremendous mentor for Schneider, and would be in the twilight of his career for the next kid. In the mean time the Oilers get legitimate goaltending.

Believe me, only the fans are short-sighted enough to beleive that Luongo in Edmonton would be a bad idea. He's pretty much exactly what that team needs. If Oiler fans can look past the Canuck-stains on him, they'd see the benefits as well.
The Sedins are of a similar pedigree to the Big 4. It took them 5 years to reach their potential. The Oilers aren't going to be in a position to contend anytime soon.

Because his cap hit is way too high to be a back up at any point over the next 5-10 years, Luongo isn't a good fit for Edmonton or many other teams for that matter. Hilariously enough his best fit is with Vancouver (who'd be a much better team if they moved Schneider for a top 6 forward and played out the rest of their 2-3 year window with Luongo).

Old
11-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Or maybe Luongo carries them into the playoffs and they catch fire and win the cup. kind of like the Kings
How many teenagers did the Kings have in their top 6?

Old
11-02-2012, 01:06 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

Last time out of a lockout the Oil had a 35 y/o in net and he was stellar in their cup run.

I think with Luongo the Oilers are competing for the playoffs as early as this year. Having an elite goaltender back there would allow the team to play their up-tempo offensive game. Who knows what happens from there.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
The Kings traded for an overaged goaltender in the offseason?

Old
11-02-2012, 01:07 PM
blankall

Quote:
Lu being horrible in a few years seems to be the consensus around here. How many elite goalies fall off the face of the earth in their mid 30's though. I was always under the impression that 30's were prime years for goalie. It's not the same as skaters people!
Lu is already in his mid 30s. In 3 years he'll be getting into his late 30s. Some goalies paly well into their late 30s, but most don't.

And the ones that do play well into their late 30s can usually be had for cheap on short term contracts.

Look at the fate of: Turco, Khabibulin, Nabakov, etc....Even if they are still at the top of their game at 36+, their value has significantly decreased.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:08 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
Hmm. I think, as much as Oiler fans hate the idea, they would do good by moving Hall for a 25 minute top notch shut down Dman. Maybe they'll move Yak, but it's a bigger risk than moving Hall in my opinion.
Hall is the last one to be traded with RNH. Why does HFOil love Hall and he routinely ranks 1st out of the big 4 yet on regular HF he is always coming in last

Old
11-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilin Toronto View Post
But it's also assinine to suggest that Kredji is worth one of the big 4. We aren't going to give you the dream deal. You already had one this century.

A fair trade would be something in the neighborhood of:
Gagner + Paajarvi (a #2 C behind Seguin + a 20 year old prospect that's very highly regarded)

For

Kredji (He will then play on a line with his fellow countrymen, and Pardubice teammate in Hemsky)

I'm reluctant to give up on Gagner (23yrs) and more importantly Paajarvi, who just turned (21).
Theres a difference between "being worth" one of the big 4 "only worth trading Krejci for" one of the big 4.

Who besides them would be worth trading Krejci for? Keep in mind that Bostons an elite team in the East, and a team that has cup aspirations. Hemsky isnt worth Krejci and Hemsky is made of glass, and while our prospect pool isnt very deep, we have absolutely no need for prospects if it means trading Krejci.

Gagner and MPS is awful as well for the Bruins, there is absolutely no incentive for the Bruins to do that. It might not be awful value wise, but Gagner is a CLEAR downgrade to Krejci, and MPS is a question mark at this point. He wouldnt play ahead of Lucic, Marchand, Horton, Peverley or Caron and isnt a good fit at all to play on the third line.

Like 02N said, its only worth it to the Bruins if we get one of the big 4 back, and thats unlikely to happen.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Vancouver & Edmonton are possibly mentioned in the same sentence & the claws come out. If there is a trade the aftermath thread will be fun!

Old
11-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
How many teenagers did the Kings have in their top 6?
none, but how many 1st overall picks do the Kings have?

Those type of players develope a lot faster, except for the Sedins but they are an odd case.

My point is that goaltending is often the main ingredient to getting teams over the hump. Nobody seems to understand that on here and it's frustrating as hell.

When Quick became elite, the Kings were unstoppable.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper View Post
I note the exclusion of the big 4, but realistically for it to be a "wow factor trade" wouldn't it have to include one of them? I don't really feel wowed by gagner or hemsky. Maybe oilers fans do but I don't think any other teams fans do.
Well in the original rumour posted days ago Bob Stauffer said oiler fans would go wow and it wouldnt take one of the 3 1st overalls or Eberle.

So dont really know why people here are expecting the oilers to wow their team

Old
11-02-2012, 01:12 PM
OMGaudreau

Interesting that Stauffer talks up Bouwmeester on Edmonton radio, he does the exact opposite on Calgary radio. Stauffer know's Bouw has one level of intensity and that level is coast! I personally think it's Subban that Lowe is hinting at, but Montreal is looking for more sandpaper/defense that Edmonton does not have an abundance of.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:12 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
#Oilers2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Vancouver & Edmonton are possibly mentioned in the same sentence & the claws come out. If there is a trade the aftermath thread will be fun!
If the Luongo rumours are true and the Oil end up winning the cup with him in nets, Nuck fans will cry blood. On the other hand if he flops and what the Oil give up are significant pieces in Van, WE'LL flip . Should be fun for outsiders.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
The Kings traded for an overaged goaltender in the offseason?
I expect more from a hockey future staff member. Actually, no I don't...

Old
11-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
none, but how many 1st overall picks do the Kings have?

Those type of players develope a lot faster, except for the Sedins but they are an odd case.

My point is that goaltending is often the main ingredient to getting teams over the hump. Nobody seems to understand that on here and it's frustrating as hell.

When Quick became elite, the Kings were unstoppable.
If Luongo were Quick, Vancouver would be looking to win their third consecutive cup this season.

Luongo is a bad fit for the Oilers, the only way they would trade for him is they didn't have to give very much up at all. Even then I think it would be a mistake.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
The Hawks had Sharp, Hossa and talent at every position
Exactly. The oilers young guns need some veteran talent around them, unless you're going to tank until they are the veteran talent?

Old
11-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
If Luongo were Quick, Vancouver would be looking to win their third consecutive cup this season.

Luongo is a bad fit for the Oilers, the only way they would trade for him is they didn't have to give very much up at all. Even then I think it would be a mistake.
Luongo/Quick can't score goals, so no I highly doubt that.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaray_656 View Post
If the Luongo rumours are true and the Oil end up winning the cup with him in nets, Nuck fans will cry blood. On the other hand if he flops and what the Oil give up are significant pieces in Van, WE'LL flip . Should be fun for outsiders.
On the same hand if Van trade Luongo to Edm & Edm's player scores the GWG for a Cup. In Edmonton it would be a sight similar to Whyte Avenue in 2006 after the WCF.

Quote:
So Quick would have had 3 shutouts in the Finals in 2011, would he have scored goals for us?

Old
11-02-2012, 01:20 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
The Sedins are of a similar pedigree to the Big 4. It took them 5 years to reach their potential. The Oilers aren't going to be in a position to contend anytime soon.

Because his cap hit is way too high to be a back up at any point over the next 5-10 years, Luongo isn't a good fit for Edmonton or many other teams for that matter. Hilariously enough his best fit is with Vancouver (who'd be a much better team if they moved Schneider for a top 6 forward and played out the rest of their 2-3 year window with Luongo).
I agree with this... I still don't understand why they don't go this route.

By the time Luongo starts to regress (which could be a good amount of time), they'll be looking to rebuild around some young guys not named Sedin, so he can be their rebuild goalie, good team guy, that at least allows them to compete each game.

In the meantime, if they make the right Schnieder trade, they could still get that elusive cup they are looking for.

Put another way... (depending of course on what the CBA brings) Luongo is far more valuable to the team he is on than his trade value (which is not great due to few suitors and even fewer still who need his quality of goaltending in the window in which he's still capable of offering it).

Old
11-02-2012, 01:25 PM
OMGaudreau

I wonder how Luongo's Floridian wife would enjoy winter in Edmonton?

Old
11-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
I agree with this... I still don't understand why they don't go this route.
Because Luongo asked for a trade and Schneider has been sick in the regular season and playoffs? It's not that I don't like Lu but Schneider is unreal.

Old
11-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Mctopchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Exactly. The oilers young guns need some veteran talent around them, unless you're going to tank until they are the veteran talent?
I would love Luongo, im not saying hes bad, hes still elite.

Its that we need all the cap room we can get in 5 years. And by then Luongo wont be playing well enough to justify the contract (speculation on my part assuming he regresses like any other goalie)

Old
11-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Scurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Jankowski View Post
I wonder how Luongo's Floridian wife would enjoy winter in Edmonton?
Exactly, it's never going to happen. It's still crazy for Edmonton fan to say they don't want him.

Closed Thread