HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Lockouts Affect on MInor Hockey

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2005, 10:17 PM
SabresGuy

vCash: 500
Lockouts Affect on MInor Hockey

How do you guys think the NHL lockout has affected the AHL? How about the lower leagues like the ECHL and UHL? DO you think it has improved the quality of play of these leagues?

Old
02-11-2005, 12:53 PM
ABunker

Ahl teams have a much more stable line up with the lockout in place. Of course the quality of play improves; most of the players displaced by NHL guys playing in the AHL are getting ice time in the ECHL and other leagues so their caliber of player is improved too. If the NHL settles, that all goes out the window of course.

Old
02-11-2005, 02:19 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresGuy
How do you guys think the NHL lockout has affected the AHL? How about the lower leagues like the ECHL and UHL? DO you think it has improved the quality of play of these leagues?
No, with the NHL on lockout and NHL players playing in the AHL, it has lowered the quality.

Old
02-14-2005, 01:10 AM
SabresGuy

Sabresfan27, I meant has it really made a difference for the AHL quality of play? Have you even been watching the league? I checked out a few AHL games and didnt think there was a noticable difference between this year and last year. The assumption that a bunch of lower level NHLers would improve the quality of the AHL is severely flawed in itself. I don't think it is acceptable to say that the play has automatically improved because a few borderline NHL players are playing AHL hockey. Surely the talent level has improved, but has the quality of play? And with some players flocking to Europe can anyone comment on whether or not the lower level leagues (ECHL and UHL) have seen the proposed "trickle down" effect? I am looking for comments from people that can make observations and not assumptions.

Closed Thread