HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

oilers and hawks

Old
11-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Hawkey

vCash: 500
Been watchin' Gagner since he came into the league and I don't think he will ever become a solid 2nd liner. Small players have to be excellent skating or have sick hands - Gagner hasn't shown to date that he has either of those.

The problem if he doesn't become a 2nd liner is that he doesn't really fit into a 'good' teams bottom 6. I think Oiler's brass realizes he is an tweener and as the team starts to mature he may not fit into the long-term plans of the Oilers. There's a reason why he is always mentioned in trade rumors and got a one year contract. If the Oilers got a tangible return I think he would have been gone already.

I wouldn't want him on the Hawks and would not trade him for Bolland straight up. The only problem with Bolland is his back, but when he is healthy he is an excellent 3rd line center on a cup-calibre team. With Bolland you have to look at more than just points, but in Gagner's case he is more just about points. So in that case I think it is worth having a player like Bolland (with the added risk) instead of Gagner.

Hawkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:50 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
This has been covered a million times. He's a #2C...
He is a mediocre #2C at best and there isn't much room for improvement.

He has been in the league for five years now and hasn't grown in any aspect at all. His stat lines are pretty much copy/paste from every year before.

His closest comp right now may be Tyler Bozak, and everyone seems fairly sure he is a #3C...

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 01:28 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
He is a mediocre #2C at best and there isn't much room for improvement.

He has been in the league for five years now and hasn't grown in any aspect at all. His stat lines are pretty much copy/paste from every year before.

His closest comp right now may be Tyler Bozak, and everyone seems fairly sure he is a #3C...
I agree with this. As far as 2C's go Sam Gagner is the bottom of the barrel. Its no wonder that Oiler fans have him in every trade proposal...

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 05:36 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
I have to ask...and Im being serious not trying to be a jerk here just trying to pick the OP's brain...

What's the rationale behind making it a 2015 1st lol? I mean other than the fact that 3 years from now EDM should be a powerhouse making their 1st a veryyy low pick hence way less enticing?
It's because in the oilers board he posted the trade without a first round pick and people were bashing him. We all said he would have to add at least a 1st round pick to make it reasonable. He disagreed.

So when he posted it here he probably wanted to add the first for it to be reasonable but didn't want to give a first with alot of value.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 05:42 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
I agree with this. As far as 2C's go Sam Gagner is the bottom of the barrel. Its no wonder that Oiler fans have him in every trade proposal...
Not really. Every one says its been settled because if you look at the top 60 scorers at C in the league he is #37. So out of the top 60(which would include number 1 and number 2 centers in the league) he is a second line center. Everyone assumes these perfect slots for 1 and 2 c but reality is gagner is a good second liner for most teams in the league.

I mean most posters are saying they would rather give the #2 spot to Pirri. Gagner is obviously an upgrade to pirri. Either way i think it doesn't have good value for Seabrook.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 05:49 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
It's because in the oilers board he posted the trade without a first round pick and people were bashing him. We all said he would have to add at least a 1st round pick to make it reasonable. He disagreed.

So when he posted it here he probably wanted to add the first for it to be reasonable but didn't want to give a first with alot of value.
I can't remember the last time a draft pick 3 years in advance has been traded in the NHL.

It was pretty clear what the intention was of adding a 2015 1st rounder, thanks for the insight though.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 07:48 PM
rockinghockey

If Gagner ever gets traded it is the only way we will see what his value will be as HF fans we are terrible at giving value to players, we either over value them or under value them.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote