HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

WSOF on NBC 11/3..

Old
11-04-2012, 02:14 PM
m9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I only ever remember Silva initiating a takedown once. And he has been KO'ing suckers for what, six, seven, eight years now? Silva would beat Spong's ass, in whatever fashion he wanted to, including a straight up stand up war if he chose, which I believe he would.
Agree. IMO he would just clinch with him and work from there.

But it's funny that someone brings this up as a legit question. Beating up one can can and now asking how he stacks up to the best ever?

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 02:56 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBauer View Post
Anderson Silva is not on Spong's level in striking, not a single person Anderson has koed is even close to Spong or the competition he has fought.
Completely and utterly ridiculous.

Spong isnt the first or even the best K1 fighter to cross over to mma. NONE of the others have had near the success of Anderson Silva. Not one has ever been a champion in the UFC.

Mark Hunt has a 8-7 record in mma.

Alistar Overeem was KO'd by Shogun twice.

Semmy Schilt has a 26-14 record in mma. Schilt was KO'd by Gilbert Yvel and Sergei Kharitonov.

Tyrone Spong has exactly one fight in mma. And he fought Travis Bartlett who has defeated..........well...........nobody really.

So take that weak ass **** that Anderson Silva doesnt have the striking to stand up to Spong and hit the road.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 11-04-2012 at 03:13 PM.
I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Completely and utterly ridiculous.

Spong isnt the first or even the best K1 fighter to cross over to mma. NONE of the others have had near the success of Anderson Silva. Not one has ever been a champion in the UFC.

Mark Hunt has a 8-7 record in mma.

Alistar Overeem was KO'd by Shogun twice.

Semmy Schilt has a 26-14 record in mma. Schilt was KO'd by Gilbert Yvel and Sergei Kharitonov.

Tyrone Spong has exactly one fight in mma. And he fought Travis Bartlett who has defeated..........well...........nobody really.

So take that weak ass **** that Anderson Silva doesnt have the striking to stand up to Spong and hit the road.
Agreed completely.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Has Spong ever fought with the MMA gloves before? Anderson's speed+accuracy+power+small gloves = Spong getting ****ed up.

Too many mismatches but overall an entertaining card. A couple of nice knockouts.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:10 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Agree. IMO he would just clinch with him and work from there.

But it's funny that someone brings this up as a legit question. Beating up one can can and now asking how he stacks up to the best ever?
Reason I ask is Spong is a very legit kickboxer who is significantly bigger and stronger than Anderson, so I was curious as to whether people thought Anderson would stand with him. As Liquor mentioned, seeing Anderson initiate a takedown is an extremely rare occurrence, so I was curious how people thought he would approach this fight.

Also, if Anderson would be favored in a fight with Spong (outside of Anderson's weight class, and assuming he didn't just attempt takedowns/subs the entire time) and most people would favor JDS over Overeem, then I think it's fair to say that K-1 credentials are quite overrated.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Reason I ask is Spong is a very legit kickboxer who is significantly bigger and stronger than Anderson, so I was curious as to whether people thought Anderson would stand with him. As Liquor mentioned, seeing Anderson initiate a takedown is an extremely rare occurrence, so I was curious how people thought he would approach this fight.

Also, if Anderson would be favored in a fight with Spong (outside of Anderson's weight class, and assuming he didn't just attempt takedowns/subs the entire time) and most people would favor JDS over Overeem, then I think it's fair to say that K-1 credentials are quite overrated.
It's fair to say K-1 credentials are overrated because arguably the two best MMA fighters/strikers (and champions) are favoured over Overeem/Spong?

Anderson and JDS have never competed in K-1 but it wouldn't be surprising if they won K-1 titles, their striking is that good. Anderson and JDS are also a lot quicker than Overeem and Spong so you have to factor that in as well when talking about their striking.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:33 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
It's fair to say K-1 credentials are overrated because arguably the two best MMA fighters/strikers (and champions) are favoured over Overeem/Spong?

Anderson and JDS have never competed in K-1 but it wouldn't be surprising if they won K-1 titles, their striking is that good. Anderson and JDS are also a lot quicker than Overeem and Spong so you have to factor that in as well when talking about their striking.
I guess I just feel like someone from a particular specialization should be able to beat an MMA fighter in it. But that being said, the way MMA is growing the sport is getting some of the absolute best from various backgrounds so I guess it shouldn't surprise me all that much.

I was just curious what people's thoughts were because you'll hear some who feel the level of competition (striking wise) is so much higher in K-1 than MMA that they'd always favor that guy in a stand-up battle, whereas you'll get others who feel Anderson and JDS would likely beat anyone in the world standing.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:37 PM
kurt
the last emperor

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
I guess I just feel like someone from a particular specialization should be able to beat an MMA fighter in it. But that being said, the way MMA is growing the sport is getting some of the absolute best from various backgrounds so I guess it shouldn't surprise me all that much.

I was just curious what people's thoughts were because you'll hear some who feel the level of competition (striking wise) is so much higher in K-1 than MMA that they'd always favor that guy in a stand-up battle, whereas you'll get others who feel Anderson and JDS would likely beat anyone in the world standing.
Yeah, there are a few MMA athletes that are more than just MMA athletes, they're also world class in other disciplines (wrestling, jiu jitsu, boxing, judo, sambo, muy thai, etc).

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 05:44 PM
m9

The problem is that K1 fighters have to fight differently when they fight MMA because they have to protect themselves against the takedown. Even if the fight stays standing its a different element than a K1 fight because of that.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
The problem is that K1 fighters have to fight differently when they fight MMA because they have to protect themselves against the takedown. Even if the fight stays standing its a different element than a K1 fight because of that.
And as we saw with Spong...once a guy hits the canvas in MMA they don't stop.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 08:40 AM
DaaaaB's

In a K-1 fight, Spong beats Silva 9 times out of 10. In an MMA fight, obviously Silva wins everytime. Spong's striking is easily just as good as Silva's and he's bigger and stronger.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 02:25 AM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
That's the big difference when a pure kickboxer goes into an MMA fight. They have to develop the ground game since that was never a concern to them.

Mark Hunt has an 8-7 record, but only one loss was due to a KO or TKO. The rest all came from submissions on the ground, which is had to do with someone like Hunt.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote