HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, expansion and relocation, and NHL revenues.

Dater: Phoenix reason for lockout

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2012, 10:44 AM
azaloum90

vCash: 500
Dater: Phoenix reason for lockout

http://sulia.com/source/S-241041/

Quote:
Phoenix is in such bad financial shape and still doesn't have a buyer locked in, so the league, which owns the team, wants the lockout to last longer so it doesn't take such a big financial bath on the Coyotes. Lots of speculation the team will really move this time, but because it can't be done right away, Bettman and Co. will blow up a season just so they don't have to lose another $30 million-plus on the Coyotes this year.
Time will tell if the players were a little too paranoid on this, but the fact remains: the Coyotes have no owner other than Gary Bettman and Co. STILL.
Could still be a conspiracy, but definitely holds some face value

Old
11-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Darth Bangkok

$30 million doesn't seem like a number that would make it worth it to lose a whole season.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Butch 19
King me

They moved Atl in 6 weeks, they can to the same with Phx.

Just send the Coyotes on a long road trip to start the season, then have them land in QC and play their home games there.

And the NHL can just sit back and watch the purchase offers pour in.

Simple? Yes.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Mike Jones

I'm wondering if the league is trying to make it easier to contract the franchise because I don't think there's anyone wanting to buy it at this point.

Edit: But I agree with the next poster - Phoenix cannot be the only reason why the league is speeding down this stupid, needless, self-destructive path.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:49 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post

Tin hat time ....

Really, ths lockout costs the league far more than what they have to sink into Pheonix. It does not even enter their minds.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:52 AM
pepty

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
Tin hat time ....

Really, ths lockout costs the league far more than what they have to sink into Pheonix. It does not even enter their minds.
This Dater is quite a piece of work.

He is the guy that told us the lockout would last over a year because the players
want revenge on Bettman.

Old
11-01-2012, 10:52 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 595
The Op left this part out:

"Here's the latest conspiracy rumor going around with a bunch of players..."

It's completely non-sensical. Lets lose hundreds of millions of dollars to save $30 million. Only a player woudl think that makes sense considering they're forgoing the whole season to save a 12% escrow giveback.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post

Just send the Coyotes on a long road trip to start the season, then have them land in QC and play their home games there.

Simple? Yes.
I wonder how easy this really would be. I mean Quebec is the most viable option this year with fanbase thirsting for a NHL franchise. If they were to move to QC, my guess is there are alot of people who would be willing to purchase a QC franchise. I could see it though.

If it were feasible to do so, it would be awesome. I would definetly drive a couple hours north to go watch a game, even in the middle of winter. I thin k the question would be, is the Colisee ready to roll in the even this were in actuality? I mean I know it's been basically vacant, but they should do it just so we can see this scoreboard and I can call it the torture machine

Old
11-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Henkka

Somebody will buy the Coyotes instantly, when the players share of HRR is reduced to 50%.

That's how I see it.

Coyotes is a partial reason for the lockout from owners side, but not the main reason. The main reason is to avoid 2/3 teams to become all "Coyotes" (finacially).

Old
11-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
The Op left this part out:

"Here's the latest conspiracy rumor going around with a bunch of players..."

It's completely non-sensical. Lets lose hundreds of millions of dollars to save $30 million. Only a player woudl think that makes sense considering they're forgoing the whole season to save a 12% escrow giveback.
That quote completely changes the tone of the article. The article didn't make any sense without it.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:23 AM
scotchex

Quote:
No, it doesn't. This theory is so stupid. It's beyond nonsensical and into brain-damaged territory.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Riptide

Quote:

Except that to date the NHL hasn't really lost much (if any) money on Phoenix as they've received 50m from Glendale to try and keep them there.

11-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post

Simple? Yes.
You need a potential owner, and a new location WITH an arena. Winnipeg had that. Quebec City does not.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Crease

How are the finances of the Coyotes currently conducted, given that the NHL is a non-profit entity? Are the losses disbursed among the other 29 franchises? In other words, a $30 million operating loss would equate to a $1.03M reduction from another franchise's portion of shared revenue?

Old
11-01-2012, 11:31 AM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
I think the opposite would be true.
I think the longer the lockout drags on, the worst it bodes for the future of Phoenix.

Old
11-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
You need a potential owner, and a new location WITH an arena. Winnipeg had that. Quebec City does not.
Re: The Arena part... Couldn't a team theoretically play in the Nords old arena until a new one is built?

Old
11-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
Re: The Arena part... Couldn't a team theoretically play in the Nords old arena until a new one is built?
Didn't they tear it down?

Old
11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

I'm calling BS. The league is going to risk doing signficant damage to a $3B annual enterprise to avoid $30M of losses? That woudl be the ultimate case of penny wise and pound foolish.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
This Dater is quite a piece of work.

He is the guy that told us the lockout would last over a year because the players
want revenge on Bettman.
He's a terrible beet writer and the Avs need someone new. He's so unprofessional at times which is ironic because he constantly talks about journalistic integrity and not talking about pure speculation when it comes to trade rumours or whatever.

Although I agree with the sentiment that Phx is an unnecessary problem, move the team but it's hard to have faith in this league when they would rather expand again rather than relocating teams in the future even though you know that if they expand to other markets then the good ones will be taken and teams like Phx will either contract or move to another poor market.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:13 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bangkok View Post
$30 million doesn't seem like a number that would make it worth it to lose a whole season.
Probably a bit more than $30mil. If the team were relocated to a place that could make a $10-20mil profit, then we're talking a $40-50mil difference.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Phelan

If the league owns Phoenix, then all it would take is over 50% of the owners' to say "We want Phoenix to vote to end the lockout." then they would, or maybe I'm wrong.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:15 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
I'm sure that their drain on league coffers played a role in all this, but it'd be pretty disingenuous to try and claim it was the primary or even one of the biggest reasons. NHL owners want to share a smaller portion of the pie with players than they currently are, and that'd be the case if they had packed up their bags and moved up to Canada years ago.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 11-01-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old
11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
He's a terrible beet writer ...
Yeah - you gotta leave that stuff to the Ukranian writers.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Didn't they tear it down?
... Daters' definitely barking up the wrong tree with this one. You dont wash an entire season to save $20-30M in Arizona. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. Pretty hilarious really.... as for the quoted, where have you guys been? Not only does Quebec City have a better than suitable existing facility in the Colisee (which is still standing & received major upgrades over the summer), they also have a willing buyer in Pierre Karl Peladeau of media giant Quebecor who came in second to the Molsons in buying the Habs a couple of years ago.... oh, and did I mention the new arena? Shovels in the ground.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:22 PM
klozge
Avs

Nothing worth to talk about, really. Just Dater making up stuff again. His "bunch of players" are probably HB Boards posters.

Closed Thread