HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL announces cancellation of 2013 Winter Classic (NHL issues official announcement)

Old
11-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
NHL announces cancellation of 2013 Winter Classic (NHL issues official announcement)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

One of the NHL's cornerstone events over the last few years is off the regular season schedule, as the league will announce the cancellation of this season's Winter Classic this afternoon.

The move has been speculated for some time, as the league's payment plan for use of The Big House at the University of Michigan calls for $250,000 to be paid to the school on Nov. 2. The rest of the payment schedule was to have $1 million paid on Dec. 7 and on Dec. 28 and $650,000 on Jan. 18.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...gs-source-says

The NHL has decided to cancel the Winter Classic, which was slated to feature the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at the University of Michigan's football stadium in Ann Arbor on Jan. 1, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun on Friday.
Friday, however, was the darkest day yet.

"It's definitely very disappointing," Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard said. "Not only was I looking forward to it but so were all my friends and family. It was going to be a great event not just for us but all the businesses and hotels and fans excited to see us and Toronto play."

A source familiar with the league's plan had told LeBrun the decision to cancel the game was green-lighted after a final internal meeting at NHL offices in New York on Friday morning. The league is expected to announce the cancellation on Friday afternoon.

Official NHL announcement:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

Last edited by mouser: 11-02-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: NHL link
Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:26 PM
hyduK

Even as a fan of Detroit I don't care about the game itself, never been a fan of the winter classic.

But this can't result in anything good when it comes to playing hockey this year.

hyduK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:26 PM
Model62

Hmm.

I guessed with all the whispering about phone calls and emails between Daly and S. Fehr that this decision would be pushed back a few days.

If these reports are accurate, not a positive sign.

Model62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Disappointed, but not surprised. I have been in the camp that expected a full season to be lost.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:29 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model62 View Post
Hmm.

I guessed with all the whispering about phone calls and emails between Daly and S. Fehr that this decision would be pushed back a few days.
That never made any sense. If it could be pushed back, it could be pushed back more than a couple of days since the NHL would still have to cough up the $250K and the next payment would not be due for a while.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:30 PM
wilty00

vCash: 1004
Not particularly upset about the lack of winter classic, but that can't mean good things for the negotiation process.

Luckily I'm comfortably numb at this point anyway.

wilty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
we'll know in a half and hour.

p.s. You suck NHL!

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:31 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 50
There we go. If true, it needs a miracle to see any NHL hockey this season.

W75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:33 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 4
Releasing news during the media dump time that is Friday afternoon just before they close shop for the weekend so as to avoid immediate media backlash. How gutsy of them.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Model62

Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
That never made any sense. If it could be pushed back, it could be pushed back more than a couple of days since the NHL would still have to cough up the $250K and the next payment would not be due for a while.
I don't understand this.

Model62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Reality Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Disappointed, but not surprised. I have been in the camp that expected a full season to be lost.
I wasn't expecting this day to come. But now that it has, a full season will be lost.

This league is a damn joke and I never want to hear again on this website how so and so(ESPN, National Media etc..) are being mean and/or ignoring the NHL.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/

One of the NHL's cornerstone events over the last few years is off the regular season schedule, as the league will announce the cancellation of this season's Winter Classic this afternoon.

The move has been speculated for some time, as the league's payment plan for use of The Big House at the University of Michigan calls for $250,000 to be paid to the school on Nov. 2. The rest of the payment schedule was to have $1 million paid on Dec. 7 and on Dec. 28 and $650,000 on Jan. 18.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...gs-source-says

The NHL has decided to cancel the Winter Classic, which was slated to feature the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs at the University of Michigan's football stadium in Ann Arbor on Jan. 1, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun on Friday.
Friday, however, was the darkest day yet.

"It's definitely very disappointing," Red Wings goaltender Jimmy Howard said. "Not only was I looking forward to it but so were all my friends and family. It was going to be a great event not just for us but all the businesses and hotels and fans excited to see us and Toronto play."

A source familiar with the league's plan had told LeBrun the decision to cancel the game was green-lighted after a final internal meeting at NHL offices in New York on Friday morning. The league is expected to announce the cancellation on Friday afternoon.
Another source saying that it's Cancelled:

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/nhl-has-ca...urce-1.1021453

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:35 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Releasing news during the media dump time that is Friday afternoon just before they close shop for the weekend so as to avoid immediate media backlash. How gutsy of them.
It has much more to do with today being the deadline for them to only owe $100,000. Besides, most media works over the weekend, too. The backlash will come no matter what.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:37 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Or it was just coincidentally the day the rent cheque was due.
They didn't spontaneously spring this news... Its been coming all week.

DL44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:40 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
It has much more to do with today being the deadline for them to only owe $100,000. Besides, most media works over the weekend, too. The backlash will come no matter what.
Didn't realize today was the deadline.... though I wonder if the deadline was specifically chosen for this very purpose. Mostly used in government circles, but it's a very common tactic for major executive offices like the POTUS and governors to release loads of information that they'd rather not get much media attention near the end of Friday for that very reason. They're out of office for the next two days even if the media's still working (and many reporters would prefer to take the weekend off, too), public attention span is short, and there'll be new news come Monday anyway. Obviously, not that simple with the NHL as this will still be the big news next week, but the fact remains that they'll still avoid the immediate media reaction as they'll be out of the office even if the media's still reporting it.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:45 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
As someone who'se also been expecting a full season lockout, this does not surprise me at all. Really it was only a matter of time....

I do feel bad for the Detroit and Toronto fans who were looking forward to this though.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:45 PM
santiclaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
I wasn't expecting this day to come. But now that it has, a full season will be lost.
You folks are working on a much shorter timeline than Bettman and Fehr. The negotiations last time around went into February, if memory serves. We would be only three weeks into the season right now. If you expected this to be settled in a couple of weeks, you haven't been paying attention. This was always going to be a nasty, lengthy fight given the history involved. The NBA doesn't have anywhere near the acrimony between the players and owners as the NHL, and look how long it took them to settle.

Players are not missing their money yet. Majority of sponsors haven't pulled out yet. NBC is just beginning to express its disappointment. There is still LOTS of time to play a partial season despite all gloom and doom pronouncements. We'll probably start in December.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:52 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
I'll echo what others have said already. The chances of hockey this season is a long shot. Really sad day for the NHL.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Man this is brutal. I expected a shortened season, but not a full season lost. I am definitely in the latter camp now.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:05 PM
fastvoteman

I feel bad for all the people who planned to attend the event. Many have booked airplane tickets and hotel rooms which in some cases are non refundable. Many young hockey fans' dreams have also been shattered.

Not to mention the boost the event was to give the city of Detroit and surrounding areas.

I'm happy that the players are losing even more money due to this being cancelled. When will they smarten up?

fastvoteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:07 PM
TrillMike

Not a fan of either team playing, but it's great for the game. It's sucks.

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:07 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Stupid NHLPA

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Stupid NHLPA
Both sides are being stupid and causing this. No need to single one out.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:32 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Stupid NHLPA

Yes, when will they learn to give in to every single demand. Shame on them for wanting to negotiate fairly. Maybe the NHLPA should give the NHL a take it or leave it proposal.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:32 PM
CorbeauNoir

Guess I'm not as cynical as most around here, the WC has usually been a game I've looked forward to, particularly disappointed given the Wings' involvement for this one. Really stupefying to see all this momentum in the league being flushed down the toilet

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote