Miks Indrašis Is a Beast Thread

Old
11-03-2012, 05:54 AM
Latgale_fan

vCash: 500
Miks Indrašis Is a Beast Thread

KHL PROFILE:
http://www.khl.ru/players/14733/

Miks Indrašis, born 1990, is currently the top goalscorer of Dinamo Rīga and second in scoring overall with 8+8 in 21 games. Could be called a late bloomer, as only 9 months ago it didn't seem that he will ever do anything much in the KHL, but was noticed by coach Ted Nolan who took him to the WC and now he's improving day by day. Few days ago a fantastic game vs SKA Saint Petersburg, 2 goals + an assist and one of the goals scored also the winning goal 8 seconds before the end of the game.

Some highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCoxV4V8lKo
the goal vs Italy in WC 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8rVu...eature=related
Opp opp opp - oppa Granlund style, in Russian major juniors MHL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVDdJOqBrZs
and.... in KHL too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivrp8Nlp97I
First goal in the KHL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3_1y2Fg5MY&feature=plcp
And of course the latest game in KHL, his best carrer game IMHO... Actually now has 2 goals during one season in KHL, scored in the first 10 seconds of the game

In the last three games he's had he has 4+3... mighty impressive continuation of the big WC surprise. He's got size, he's got skill- the sky's the limit!

Last edited by Latgale_fan: 01-24-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latgale_fan View Post
KHL PROFILE:
http://www.khl.ru/players/14733/

Miks Indrašis, born 1990, is currently the top goalscorer of Dinamo Rīga and second in scoring overall with 8+8 in 21 games. Could be called a late bloomer, as only 9 months ago it didn't seem that he will ever do anything much in the KHL, but was noticed by coach Ted Nolan who took him to the WC and now he's improving day by day. Few days ago a fantastic game vs SKA Saint Petersburg, 2 goals + an assist and one of the goals scored also the winning goal 8 seconds before the end of the game.

In the last three games he's had he has 4+3... mighty impressive continuation of the big WC surprise. He's got size, he's got skill- the sky's the limit!
It could be classic example of how a young player can blossom if a coach just express and shows his confidence in them. Compared to other very talented players that are drafted or picked young for a club and then left hanging on their own without support with no or limited playing time. It shows that Nolan is really a good coach! It's not only about strategy and tactics but also getting the best out of your playing material.
From what I saw from the WC he was the biggest surprise, really coming from no-where (Ryan Lasch probably also surprised a lot of north american viewers, though in Finland they already knew).

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 08:17 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
I was probably was of his biggest doubters here in the last spring, but slowly he starts to convince me that he is there for the staying. A lot to learn in his own end, but taking into consideration the lack of any talant upfront in our NT pool, makes him indispensable already.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

I was just looking through some KHL stats today, I noticed Indrasis has been playing supremely well at the KHL level. I remember watching him in the WC last year and being very very impressed with his play, and he seems to have continued this into the KHL this year. Very impressive.

Does he have any NHL potential/desire to cross Atlantic you think? I have not really watched much Riga games this year, I have been mostly focused on Slovan (my adopted KHL team sorry ), Barys (lots of Winnipeggers + Antropov) and Donbass (Ponikarovsky) games. He has NHL size at 6'3'' 190lbs (according eliteprospects), and still pretty young at 22.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Reynys

He was at the Black Hawks training camp this past summer. Also I remember he replied that he would like to come across, when interviewed at WC.

Reynys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 02:09 PM
Latgale_fan

Well, according to some coaches he still has to sort out some stuff in his head (from junior team to jump to WC level and KHL top line guy scoring crazy goals can require some adjusting) and he was sent for a brief stint down to the farmclub but anyway he's back, now 36 games 13+12= 25 points and....

... today he scored a Granlund style goal in the KHL to get 1 point for Dinamo Rīga. I hope the video will soon follow.
PS: And here it is. Ala Granlund at KHL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivrp8Nlp97I

Hard to say about NHL potential. Not lot of guys who get a job there at the age of 22-23 if undrafted. If he continues to improve in all fronts then he knows. At least the size is not the issue and he's working to become phisically stronger, and the skill is also not an issue as you saw and will see when the video of today's goal is online. Some miracles happen, Skrastins was drafted at 24, though he was a d-man. Will see how he does next season. If he continues to progress further, who knows. Don't think he'd be against moving to the NHL Though there were signs mid season that all these things started to get to his head, hope that won't be a concern further on...

Last edited by Latgale_fan: 01-24-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old
01-23-2013, 07:50 AM
BalticWarrior

Indrasis has,arguably,the best hands in Dinamo rigas history,except maybe Darzins.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:09 AM
Justinov

Quote:
... today he scored a Granlund style goal in the KHL to get 1 point for Dinamo Rīga. I hope the video will soon follow.
PS: And here it is. Ala Granlund at KHL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LABSbMFywMQ
Very nice goal. You need great (lacrosse) hands to do that
Interesting to see if this kind of scoring will continue to be allowed if more and more players start using it in more and more situations...
OR is it a great development for hockey that you get way much dangerous being behind the net with the puck on your stickblade?

For instance carrying the puck on the blade (lacrosse style) is that actually allowed for instance in a shootout? or have both the man and the puck to move constantly forward on the ice? As an old lacrosse players you might envision someone training to do it from the start of the shootout and carrying it all the way to the goalie and just poke the stick through the goal with the puck on it.....then its across the line. Then you dont even how to shoot it
Im amazed actually that so many hockey players through time in Canada that also played lacrosse as sommerpractice havent started to do this things much earlier.

Old
01-23-2013, 08:49 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Indrasis has,arguably,the best hands in Dinamo rigas history,except maybe Darzins.
Darzins hands were better for sure and I'm not even talking about that Schremp fella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
For instance carrying the puck on the blade (lacrosse style) is that actually allowed for instance in a shootout? or have both the man and the puck to move constantly forward on the ice? As an old lacrosse players you might envision someone training to do it from the start of the shootout and carrying it all the way to the goalie and just poke the stick through the goal with the puck on it.....then its across the line. Then you dont even how to shoot it
Im amazed actually that so many hockey players through time in Canada that also played lacrosse as sommerpractice havent started to do this things much earlier.
It's allowed, many guys have done that to some extent including above mentioned Schremp. And players didn't start to do this whole lot earlier because composite sticks and curved blades are relatively new inventions. Well maybe not curved sticks but sticks with such a big curve. You couldn't do this with Gretzky's or Lemieux 's stick no matter how good your hands are.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 09:30 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
Darzins hands were better for sure and I'm not even talking about that Schremp fella.

It's allowed, many guys have done that to some extent including above mentioned Schremp. And players didn't start to do this whole lot earlier because composite sticks and curved blades are relatively new inventions. Well maybe not curved sticks but sticks with such a big curve. You couldn't do this with Gretzky's or Lemieux 's stick no matter how good your hands are.
Yeah well too bad we didnt get to see his infamous hands,so i`m not counting him.

Old
01-23-2013, 02:03 PM
Justinov

Quote:

Off course...totally forgot to think about that! Thanks for the little history class
So then are you guys for or against this kind of development? You want it to become common?
In floorball (swedish: innebandy) it started as well with one guy and is now more and less "standard" skill.

Old
01-23-2013, 06:17 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
So then are you guys for or against this kind of development? You want it to become common?
I see no problem with that. Just another way to punish your opponents for giving you too much time and too much space. I think that's why still nobody has scored such goal in the NHL. Because you have less time and it's much harder to get into the crease there.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2013, 08:51 PM
ozo

Quote:

Hard to say about NHL potential. Not lot of guys who get a job there at the age of 22-23 if undrafted. If he continues to improve in all fronts then he knows. At least the size is not the issue and he's working to become phisically stronger, and the skill is also not an issue as you saw and will see when the video of today's goal is online. Some miracles happen, Skrastins was drafted at 24, though he was a d-man. Will see how he does next season. If he continues to progress further, who knows. Don't think he'd be against moving to the NHL Though there were signs mid season that all these things started to get to his head, hope that won't be a concern further on...
We heard the same stories about Darzins (and to some extent in Redlihs case as well) as well and look how he looks put on a roster of a competative team. Yeah, he has been unlucky with injuries, but still, his and Indrasis numbers are vastly improved by the amount of the quality icetime they see/saw every game and that's it.

I'm looking at them and no way I can see them becoming regular NHL'ers.

Old
01-24-2013, 08:13 AM
Justinov

Quote:
I see no problem with that. Just another way to punish your opponents for giving you too much time and too much space. I think that's why still nobody has scored such goal in the NHL. Because you have less time and it's much harder to get into the crease there.
Yeah so you simply avoid it by increased physicality againt players behind the goalie.
So unless stick technology goes towards shapes where these kinds of lacrosse plays combines both easier and faster it's will only be seen fairly rarely.

Old
01-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
We heard the same stories about Darzins (and to some extent in Redlihs case as well) as well and look how he looks put on a roster of a competative team.
I'm looking at them and no way I can see them becoming regular NHL'ers.
I never said I see Indrašis as a regular NHL at the moment but he has several advantages if compared to Dārziņš (namely, he's not afraid to play phisically) and Rēdlihs is a midget... Plus he's couple years younger than those two.

Also I don't see a problem with Rēdlihs or Dārziņš playing as they play in those competitive teams because realistically they never had a shot at NHL and also would not be suited for the league. It was pretty much given that they'd struggle in top KHL teams that talent wise are built up like a regular NHL team...

At the moment Indrašis is very raw but what sets him apart from these two is that he has all the raw requirements to make it there, if he improves. Imagine if he added another 10 kilos or or bit more of muscle. I'm afraid Rēdlihs and Lauris can improve as they want but they are not such players... Of course, it's hard to say how would he fare with less playing time but I guess like with Crosby and Malkin, if you score, you get your minutes...

Let's be honest, Indrašis is faster, more physical and probably also ''better hands'' version of Lauris... Plus he's good few years younger. For his minuses- still need some muscle and better understanding of the game overall. But IMHO if he improves, he can become say a great KHL club's leading scorer.

Also there are not exactly a lot of players in the U23 age group that have been better at scoring in KHL this season... you've got Kuznetsov and Tarasenko (who's already in NHL) and that's pretty much all (might've been Yakupov, he's also in NHL now). Sure that might not say much and there are great teams for whish to score is much harder than in Dinamo Riga but... just a fact.

Last edited by Latgale_fan: 01-24-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old
01-24-2013, 09:08 PM
ozo

I'm not sure where that supposed physicality of Indrasis can be seen. Yes, he visits the dirty areas of the ice a bit more than Darzins, but still there's no particular NHL jump in him in my opinion.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:18 AM
BalticWarrior

Another great goal by Miks

Old
08-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Latgale_fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnk5goIEapA

Was quiet for some time but today in Prague Cup, from 4:36, great moves and a goal at the end

Old
08-12-2013, 11:32 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnk5goIEapA

Was quiet for some time but today in Prague Cup, from 4:36, great moves and a goal at the end
I would say that move is becomming his trademark,he does have some smooth hands thats for sure.

Old
08-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalticWarrior View Post
I would say that move is becomming his trademark,he does have some smooth hands thats for sure.
Yeah he tried in the last game vs the VHL team and they barely stopped him... I wish he'd get bit more kilos though. He seems bit bigger than last year but still. A bit more strength + these hands and he'd be a true star in the KHL.

Old
08-13-2013, 04:21 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Paul Szczechura said he thinks that Indrasis is one of the best players in the league. That's a pretty bold statement.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Latgale_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Paul Szczechura said he thinks that Indrasis is one of the best players in the league. That's a pretty bold statement.
I think he meant more like that he has a potential to become one of the best players in the league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2qg8JOBCqM

Another good goal, 1:15 onwards

Old
08-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Latgale_fan

Added two goals in 3 Dinamo Riga's prep games before the KHL season, though this time nothing spectacular.