HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Where does Sobotka fit in?

Old
07-06-2013, 08:04 PM
JamieG

vCash: 500
Where does Sobotka fit in?

With the additions of Lapierre and Derek Roy, where does that leave Sobotka?

Kept on hearing that Hitchcock loved him so much, but is he a healthy scratch now and headed for waivers?

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:05 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 50
Sobotka stays on the third or fourth line.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
On the 3rd line, perhaps the 4th line. Why would this knock him out of the lineup?

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:11 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Honestly no one will know anything until training camp. The Blues have to make some type of move but Armstrong is the only one that knows what.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:16 PM
JamieG

Quote:
On the 3rd line, perhaps the 4th line. Why would this knock him out of the lineup?
Because it's 2 more players for probably the 3rd and 4th line.

Is Sobotka a full time wing now?

I was hoping he would really get a chance to establish himself next year and contribute to the Blues success, but these moves leave me with the impression that he's not really in the plans.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Stang

Sobi can play just about anywhere, I wouldn't worry about that.

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 1691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Sobi can play just about anywhere, I wouldn't worry about that.
Basically this.

Bluesman91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Alklha

Sobotka is an everyday player next season for us, unless we are involved in a huge trade and he needs to be included ( la McClement).

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:46 PM
BBSuns

Sobotka is the Blues best FO guy..dont understand why hed move over to wing because Lapierre is here. pretty sure Armstrong said they brought in Lapierre to be their 4th line guy

BBSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:47 PM
JamieG

Further to my point though, in reading several "projected lines" BEFORE the Roy and Lapierre signings, most had Sobotka as a wing on the fourth line.

A few had him as the 3rd line center.

You seriously think two new players taking up roster spots isn't going to leave Sobotka out in the cold?

I hope you're all right, but I think this pushes him to the door. It's Boston all over again for VS.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:58 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Sobotka will always be in the lineup when healthy.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Alklha

Sobotka is a much better player than Lapierre, Porter, Reaves, Cracknell or Aucoin. None of them make him expendable.

While I think the ideal position for Sobotka is the fourth line, I wouldn't have any worries about him ending up as #3C or a top 6 winger mid game if anything happened. I'm not keen on going into a season with him in the top 9, but if injuries forced him into that role, he has shown himself capable.

There is no reason to trade a player that gives you that when his cap hit is so small.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:20 PM
BlueDream

Lol, why in the world would Sobotka ever be placed on waivers...?

Right now he's slated to start on the 4th-line LW, next to Lapierre and Reaves or Porter which should be an awesome line to watch.

If there are injuries, he can easily move up to the 3rd and be just fine.

He's a perfect player to have in the bottom 6.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:21 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

The hand-wringing over Sobotka's role is unwarranted. He's highly valued by the team, and numerous times he filled roles when someone else was injured or struggling. His little turn behind the net, come out in front, turn around and fire the puck in to win the game....we'll get to continue seeing that.

His best role is probably 4th line winger, and being the utility guy to slide up the line-up when something goes wrong. He's like a bottom 6 version of Alexander Steen (but more effective at center). However, slating him as the starting 3C doesn't leave the Blues anywhere to go when someone gets hurt. He may get time there this season, but its as a fill-in to adjust to injuries.

I'll give a shot at making lines, assuming its Halak that is moved for futures and everyone else is signed and stays here.

Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
Steen-Roy-Stewart
Perron-Berglund-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Lapierre-Porter
Aucoin/Reaves

Pietro-Bouwmeester
Shattenkirk-Jackman
Leopold-Polak
Cole

Elliott
Allen

Another scenario is Perron getting moved and having Jaskin on that 3rd line, with Allen in the AHL.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:26 AM
BlueSinceBirth

Sobotka is probably Hitch's favorite player so he will have a regular spot. I think Sobotka's role on this team is underrated by non-Blues fans.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:21 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

I think a deal may get done but if not, he is your 4th line center with Porter and Reaves leaving Lapierre and Cracknell as the alts.

The signing of Lapierre and Acouin were for depth imo. I do not see them as starters. I am sure they will be given their fair shot but I really don't see them breaking up the CPR line in the beginning of the year unless is it for Sobotka. I would take either Sobotka or any member of the CPR line (if it stays together) over either Lapierre and Acouin.

I guess we will just have to see but Hitch will find a spot for Sobotka

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:04 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips View Post
I think a deal may get done but if not, he is your 4th line center with Porter and Reaves leaving Lapierre and Cracknell as the alts.

The signing of Lapierre and Acouin were for depth imo. I do not see them as starters. I am sure they will be given their fair shot but I really don't see them breaking up the CPR line in the beginning of the year unless is it for Sobotka. I would take either Sobotka or any member of the CPR line (if it stays together) over either Lapierre and Acouin.

I guess we will just have to see but Hitch will find a spot for Sobotka
You're under-rating Lapierre here. He's the projected 4th line starter at Center for sure. Porter can move to the wing, with Sobotka at the other wing.

Cracknell's slow foot speed prevents him from being a regular NHL player. He's fine as an injury reserve, and I really root for the guy. Reaves is going to have to earn his way onto the ice, but I think we'll see Hitchcock rotating guys around on the 4th line depending on match-ups and size.

Scott Nichol would have been the regular 4th line center last season barring injury.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Izzy
#SloveniaForGold2018

vCash: 270
I really hope Reaves doesn't get moved out of the lineup.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:44 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 0
It doesn't make much sense to play him on the 4th line or be a healthy scratch.

He's either on the third line or traded.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:52 AM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman11 View Post

putting him on the 4th line makes perfect sense.... especially with lapierre and reaves/porter.... and it's not like we won't have injuries.... Oshie, roy, etc.... so sobotka will get his fair share of time in the top 9 anyway.... there's a reason it's called depth.... and if we were to move depth for an allstar... sobotka isn't the guy we'd move

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:00 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

We'll see...

Old
07-07-2013, 11:02 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:

You realize that's where he started last season (the 4th line) too, right? But injuries and Steen's inability to be effective enough at Center gave him a chance, and he ran with it. Its awesome to have enough skilled players that you can make 3 dangerous lines, and still have a guy like Sobotka stowed away on the 4th line.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:27 AM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
You're under-rating Lapierre here. He's the projected 4th line starter at Center for sure. Porter can move to the wing, with Sobotka at the other wing.

Cracknell's slow foot speed prevents him from being a regular NHL player. He's fine as an injury reserve, and I really root for the guy. Reaves is going to have to earn his way onto the ice, but I think we'll see Hitchcock rotating guys around on the 4th line depending on match-ups and size.

Scott Nichol would have been the regular 4th line center last season barring injury.
I am underrating Lapierre here for sure. I understand that Cracknell may not be the best player for the job but when you have synergy like they had last year, there would be no reason for me to break them up to start the season. Having Sobotka on the 3rd line makes more since to me because of his versatility. I realize there isn't space right now and that is why I still think there may be a deal.

I do agree with all your points especially the rotation of the fourth line depending on who we are playing

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Alklha

Quote:

What is this? Sobotka has shown how effective he is on the fourth line, whether it is at centre or left wing. There is absolutely nothing to gain from trading a player like Sobotka; you don't get value in trade and you don't save cap space. Having a guy on the fourth that has shown capable of moving up the lineup is invaluable during games as well.

The CPR line was immense for us, but it 15 games or so. People need to clam down with the love in considering that Sobotka is a significantly better player than any of those 3.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:59 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
You realize that's where he started last season (the 4th line) too, right? But injuries and Steen's inability to be effective enough at Center gave him a chance, and he ran with it. Its awesome to have enough skilled players that you can make 3 dangerous lines, and still have a guy like Sobotka stowed away on the 4th line.
Yes I do realize that was his original role, but I would like to see him get more than 4th line and PK minutes.

I like the idea of Reaves, Lapierre, Porter on the 4th line. Also think that a Schwartz, Sobotka, Oshie line could be very effect in all zones because I expect to see Oshie's conditioning to be better this year.

I also realize we're not the coach and we're just spit firing ideas, and there could be another deal before camp.