HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2013 Draft Thread

Old
05-25-2013, 06:15 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Ended up going with Dickinson over Dauphin and Dano, but it was a hard choice. I think Dauphin and Dano are probably better players right now, but I think Dickinson has the best skill set and highest offensive ceiling of the three. He's not a 1 zone player, either. He's shown me enough that I believe he's a 3 zone talent with a high hockey IQ who is a fairly safe bet to have an NHL career in some capacity. He also has leadership qualities, and a good attitude (both humble and coachable) from what I've read.

With all that said, he's definitely a pick based on potential that should not be expected to contribute for awhile. His shift-to-shift inconsistency is notable. Also, his physical play (with regards to initiating contact, and battling through the contact of others) needs improvement...although it started making strides late this past year.

The fact that he worked to dramatically improve the defensive side of his game and succeeded (voted 3rd best defensive forward in the western conference in the OHL coaches poll this season) gives me confidence that his current problems don't stem from desire/work ethic. He'll be better at fighting through contact as his projectable 6'2'' frame fills out (he's only at ~175 lbs right now).

Shift-to-shift consistency is something that many talented young players struggle with, and it's something that is very correctable. I'm not seeing enough red flags in terms of attitude and work ethic to scare me off here.

With regards to the other guys I considered, I like both Dauphin and Dano quite a bit. I just don't think their ceiling is quite as high, even if they might be more likely to hit theirs than Dickinson. I would be happy if the Blues ended up with any of the three at #47.

I feel that Wallmark is generally underrated right now, but I don't like him quite as much as the other three I've mentioned. I wouldn't be surprised if he was chosen in the second round by someone at the draft.

Bailey has a great shot and some nice qualities, but he's more Jeff Carter (stylistically) than Getzlaf. Not my first choice for the Blues at this point. I'm also somewhat concerned by his injury history.

Lodge is ultimately too one-dimensional for my liking given the other options available.
I like the choice and certainly wouldn't have a problem with it. I haven't followed him as closely as some of the others. I doubt he is on the board when the Blues pick, which is one reason why I haven't paid attention. If he falls, then I would take him in a second.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2013, 09:02 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Finished the Habs board draft as the Blues;

47th: Marko Dano
86th: Myles Bell
94th: Andreas Johnson
116th: Andrei Mironov
176th: Gustav Rydahl
206th: Luca Hischier

Don't hate me too much!

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Calgary does have the first rounder, so I'm not sure if anyone is interested in our final ranking for the 2013 draft, but it's here for curiosity's sake: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...013-nhl-draft/

What may be of more interest is our Prospect Profiler. It features over 100 draft eligibles in a snapshot profile. Definitely a quick and easy resource that's fun to take a look through: http://futureconsiderations.ca/playe...earsearch=2013

For the hardcores out there, we do have our 2013 NHL Draft Guide that features a top-210 ranking with profiles (and a host of other features). For 20 bones, it comes as a dual PDF. One is optimized for smart devices (iphone/ipad/ect) and the other is a text only edition for those that want to print it out. For everything that's in it, you can surf over here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...l-draft-guide/

Old
06-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Alklha

So what are the predictions for trades in the lead up to the draft? Will be be busy? Who are you hoping we pick?

Depending on who is available, I'm liking Marko Daňo at 47 and Jackson Houck at 83. Despite all the talk, I'm expecting us to be pretty quiet at the draft. Really hope I'm proves wrong and both Halák and Perron are moved to improve us down the middle.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 09:36 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
So what are the predictions for trades in the lead up to the draft? Will be be busy? Who are you hoping we pick?

Depending on who is available, I'm liking Marko Daňo at 47 and Jackson Houck at 83. Despite all the talk, I'm expecting us to be pretty quiet at the draft. Really hope I'm proves wrong and both Halák and Perron are moved to improve us down the middle.

If they can trade up in the draft....Frederick Gauthier
If he falls and wouldn't be surprised if he does, Nicolas Petan despite his size

Justin Bailey, Laurent Dauphin

later rounds
Matt Buckels, Jonathon-Ismael Diaby, Tyler Hill, Bogdan Yakimov, J C Lipon Adam Tambellini

With the cap decreasing for each NHL team in the next few years, I can see where fewer Europeans will be willing to come over. Many already go home, if they have to spend any time in the minors. I would stick to Canadien and US born skaters more than ever.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 12:10 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:

I agree. I think there will be rumors, but we won't actually get anything done. Trading is a two way street, and no matter how badly Army may want to strike a deal, if the player's not available for what he's offering, it's just not going to happen. We have the assets to overpay for a player that he thinks would drastically improve the team, but I don't think Army views this as the right season to do it. I personally see this season or next as the ideal time to really try to take the next step, but by everything Army has said, it seems he's pretty content with keeping the same/similar roster for the foreseeable future.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Blues0307

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Getting back in the 1st round would be nice since this is such a good draft. Our prospect pool is getting thin.

Blues0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Finished the Habs board draft as the Blues;

47th: Marko Dano
86th: Myles Bell
94th: Andreas Johnson
116th: Andrei Mironov
176th: Gustav Rydahl
206th: Luca Hischier

Don't hate me too much!
I don't think the Armstrongs would take so many Europeans in one draft, but I'm not opposed to any of those selections, except Johnson. He's the son of a guy the Blues drafted 10-15 years ago, who first told the Blues he was interested in coming over, then told them after they spent a fairly high pick on him that he had no interest whatsoever in coming to North America.

"The sins of the father," and all that...

Dano, Bell and Mironov aren't bad picks, though. Not at all.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 02:03 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 270
I'd like Dano, kind of a higher-end version of Sobotka.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 03:02 PM
Christmas Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Go for Weegar.

Christmas Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2013, 10:13 PM
mk80

I would love to see us get back in the first round as this is one of highest quality drafts I have seen in a while. I'd be ok with giving up Halak to trade up, as long as we would also get another player in a trade like that.

Last edited by mk80: 06-29-2013 at 11:41 PM.
mk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 02:16 AM
Jzk

vCash: 750
Gonna be boring without trades.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 02:19 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

If we end up with a first, I wouldn't mind a skilled center. Someone like Domi, who I think could end up being a good one.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 04:16 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
Gonna be boring without trades.
All it takes is one trade and then- Here we go, watch the Trade market get into high geer!

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 05:30 AM
GrandPapillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I'd like Dano, kind of a higher-end version of Sobotka.
Put me down with Dano as well. He reminds me of a weird Sobotka/Perron hybrid.

GrandPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 07:09 AM
Alklha

Finally draft day... predict the top 5!

Avalanche - Jones
Panthers - MacKinnon
Lightning - Barkov
Predators - Drouin
Hurricanes - Nichushkin

Nice to have a draft where there is a real debate with everyone in the top 4. I think the Avs have been bluffing with all their talk of a forward, possibly to see what the Lightning would offer to move up.

Old
06-30-2013, 01:03 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I'll go off the board a bit

Avs-Mackinnon
Panthers-Barkov
Lightning-Drouin
Preds-Jones
Canes-Nichushkin

Old
06-30-2013, 02:59 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I'll go off the board a bit

Avs-Mackinnon
Panthers-Barkov
Lightning-Drouin
Preds-Jones
Canes-Nichushkin
You'll probably be right about the first overall, at least. I just can't believe that the Avs would pass on Jones.

Got to say, I've had Nurse in the 10-12 range, but I imagine that he interviewed incredibly well. Wouldn't be surprised to see Edmonton taking him.

Old
06-30-2013, 03:04 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Jones
MacKinnon
Drouin
Barkov
Carolina trades pick

Old
06-30-2013, 03:07 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

I expected a better booing session for the Commish.

Old
06-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Alklha

Carolina really liked Nichushkin. If they trade their pick, I imagine they don't like what they heard from him. Which wouldn't surprise me too much.

Old
06-30-2013, 03:10 PM
ExJbeck

It has to be Jones.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 03:10 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Here we go boys!

Old
06-30-2013, 03:11 PM
Alklha

They are insane. The consensus #1, hometown boy and a position of real need and they pass. It was close between them at least.

But at least Stastny is available

Old
06-30-2013, 03:12 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

I'd have taken Jones and traded Johnson for a lefty.