HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW William Carrier (2013, 57th overall, STL; traded to BUF)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2012, 08:39 PM
  #26
WildcatMapleLeafs28
Registered User
 
WildcatMapleLeafs28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlantic Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Wow, good stuff. Would love the Habs to pick him up.

For those who watch him often, who is a comparable NHLer to him?

What is his upside?

I don't watch him often enough.
Mantha's 2 points behind the two but also 2 games behind. They're all producing at the same pace. MacKinnon's play has seemed to slow down in the last few games. No goals in 5.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 08:54 PM
  #27
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 37,644
vCash: 831
Maybe it would've sounded more impressive if I had said he's tied with Mackinnon in scoring on a terrible Cape Breton team.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2012, 10:44 PM
  #28
Tarasenko
Unregistered User
 
Tarasenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: uriname
Posts: 1,353
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
Wow, good stuff. Would love the Habs to pick him up.

For those who watch him often, who is a comparable NHLer to him?

What is his upside?

I don't watch him often enough.
I'd compare him to Erik Cole.

Tarasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:11 AM
  #29
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,468
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
I have seen a lot of Carrier, less this year but I don't really like his upside. I think the team that drafts him to be a 2nd/3rd line grit/cycle forward will get good value really late 1st or early 2nd.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 08:31 PM
  #30
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,367
vCash: 500
Why isn`t this kid talked about more? Seems to stand out in all highlights I watch even against top teams, he seems to have the total package and skills of a player who could be chosen in the top 15 of the draft.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:22 PM
  #31
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 37,644
vCash: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Why isn`t this kid talked about more? Seems to stand out in all highlights I watch even against top teams, he seems to have the total package and skills of a player who could be chosen in the top 15 of the draft.
I've been wondering the exact same thing.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 09:54 PM
  #32
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I've been wondering the exact same thing.
Reminds me of a better skating Bobby Ryan only reason I can see the lack of knowledge about him is where he plays in Cape Breton.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:24 PM
  #33
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,894
vCash: 500
When he gets a chance in big games (U18s, Canada/Russia Superseries, and a couple games when Cape Breton was packed with scouts) he doesn't show up. He's a shell of the player he usually is for whatever reason. Seems like he doesn't know how to play with skilled players because in Cape Breton it's just him and he tries to do it all himself, then when he passes the guys can't do anything lol weird situation being a skilled player on such an awful team.

Right now he's beaten up a bit, I bet he's dying for Christmas break. He took a puck off the leg and missed a game, came back and took another puck off the same leg in the same place lol

There are some rumblings he'll get traded to a contender but I still think it's unlikely.

I've thrown his name around a lot over the last year+ but the last few weeks I've kept quite cuz I know he's not 100% atm

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 10:39 PM
  #34
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
When he gets a chance in big games (U18s, Canada/Russia Superseries, and a couple games when Cape Breton was packed with scouts) he doesn't show up. He's a shell of the player he usually is for whatever reason. Seems like he doesn't know how to play with skilled players because in Cape Breton it's just him and he tries to do it all himself, then when he passes the guys can't do anything lol weird situation being a skilled player on such an awful team.

Right now he's beaten up a bit, I bet he's dying for Christmas break. He took a puck off the leg and missed a game, came back and took another puck off the same leg in the same place lol

There are some rumblings he'll get traded to a contender but I still think it's unlikely.

I've thrown his name around a lot over the last year+ but the last few weeks I've kept quite cuz I know he's not 100% atm
Doubtful unless the Eagles want to lose the trade... A guy who will put up big offensive numbers for at least another season after this would cost a fortune... No team can theoretically pay for him IMO.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2012, 08:08 AM
  #35
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDucks View Post
Doubtful unless the Eagles want to lose the trade... A guy who will put up big offensive numbers for at least another season after this would cost a fortune... No team can theoretically pay for him IMO.
Some teams couple probably get him for a prospect + picks but I've been saying all along, looking at the Eagles recent track record in the drafts, why would you gamble on draft picks who may just go home lol

He's the best forward they've ever had with James Sheppard the only other guy you could make an argument for, to give him away before he's even drafted is silly but rumors are rumors

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:33 AM
  #36
Slashers98
Registered User
 
Slashers98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,273
vCash: 500
LW William Carrier - Cape Breton Screaming Eagles, QMJHL (2013 draft)

William Carrier The Next Ones: NHL 2013 Draft Prospect Profile:
http://thehockeywriters.com/william-...spect-profile/

The kid is flying under the radar.

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 08:52 AM
  #37
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
The kid is flying under the radar.
It's justified now since he hasn't played in 2013 (December injury) and was bad the couple weeks before his injury. Still like him as a prospect but this season was a huge disappointment.

All he has to do is continue working on his skating & figure out how/when to use his teammates (in fairness he's never had any) and he'll be a solid pickup for a team in the 2nd round (I could see him dropping to round 3)

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 05:56 PM
  #38
shello
@WShello9
 
shello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ile-Perrot, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,422
vCash: 500
I'm still very high on the kid, showed me enough last year to win me over. I'll agree however that I expected more from him this season, and might've turned it around if it wasn't for the injury.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:24 PM
  #39
Mats86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
I think he could slide

Mats86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 09:48 PM
  #40
EL Bandito
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Edwardsville, IL
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to EL Bandito
I'd be extremely happy if the Blues used their 2nd rounder from Ottawa on Carrier. I think he's extremely underrated and great value in the mid 2nd round.

EL Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:21 PM
  #41
Trvp Lord
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Bandito View Post
I'd be extremely happy if the Blues used their 2nd rounder from Ottawa on Carrier. I think he's extremely underrated and great value in the mid 2nd round.
You think he's going to go in the middle of the 2nd round?

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2013, 06:21 AM
  #42
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvp Lord View Post
You think he's going to go in the middle of the 2nd round?
He could go anywhere from 25 to 120 it just depends on how much certain teams value him. He was up in the first round before his injury, some teams could still think of him as a 1st rounder

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 08:41 PM
  #43
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,894
vCash: 500
Caught the Bruins game last night and started thinking of Carrier when watching Jagr. The way he uses his big frame to protect the puck, near impossible to knock over, and not afraid to throw the body. Carrier doesn't have near the skill or work ethic but he plays a similar style as old aged Jagr

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 06:45 AM
  #44
Dr Quincy
Registered User
 
Dr Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Caught the Bruins game last night and started thinking of Carrier when watching Jagr. The way he uses his big frame to protect the puck, near impossible to knock over, and not afraid to throw the body. Carrier doesn't have near the skill or work ethic but he plays a similar style as old aged Jagr

The comparison I've seen a couple of times is Erik Cole. Decent size and speed and uses both offensively.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2013, 07:19 AM
  #45
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
The comparison I've seen a couple of times is Erik Cole. Decent size and speed and uses both offensively.
Not a fan of Erik Coles game at all so I won't ever like that comparison lol

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 07:59 PM
  #46
Akipa
HFB Partner
 
Akipa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
Wide range of places he could go because team would have to take a chance on him considering small sample size. Top shelf Prospects has him at number 45. Quite low compared to most analysts.

Full scouting report: http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/05/...ct-profile-45/

Akipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:29 PM
  #47
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 500
Loved this pick. But it's really hard to tell what type of player he will be. I see so many good things but then I'll hear things as being a 3rd line or grinder.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2013, 11:52 PM
  #48
RJQuack
Registered User
 
RJQuack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Loved this pick. But it's really hard to tell what type of player he will be. I see so many good things but then I'll hear things as being a 3rd line or grinder.
Can't see him being a grinder, maybe in the worst case...

Incredible offensive player though, can do it all. Literally, there was no one else in Cape Breton. Great shot, good skater, strong and crafty hands.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:31 AM
  #49
Vor
RIP Lounge
 
Vor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Searching 4 a Lounge
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,105
vCash: 50
I think he's the kind of player where if he goes to an actual good team, he'll explode and people will wonder how in the hell he made it so far into the 2nd round. 57th overall is insane, if he was on a competitive team he would have gone 1st round for sure i think.

I also struggle to come up with a good NHL player comparison for him. I dont think he really plays a lot like anyone, he plays like...Will Carrier.

Vor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:55 AM
  #50
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott
 
Steve Doan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eureka
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 9,884
vCash: 500
How far away in his development is he from being NHL ready?

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.