HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"All Things AHL" Part II...

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Thanks for the updates ChicagoBlues.

If Leopold was to go on IR, do you think the Blues would be looking to call up Shields? Or, even with his current play, do you think he would be better served staying in Chicago?

Old
11-09-2013, 09:08 PM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Thanks for the updates ChicagoBlues.

If Leopold was to go on IR, do you think the Blues would be looking to call up Shields? Or, even with his current play, do you think he would be better served staying in Chicago?
As much as I don't want to say it, I think Chorney is better off on the call up. He was bad on Thursday, but much better tonight. Shields is good, but I would not call him up just yet. However, depending on the matchup, Shields might be able to handle a highly protected role. The kind of guy who, sometime soon, needs to see what it takes at NHL level so he can take those lessons back down to the A and apply them.

And it's my pleasure to contribute in this way. Every game is on TV and, when I can, I will "blog" it.

EDIT: I didn't state the obvious, Shields plays RD and Chorney plays LD, but Chorney can also play RD. Shields is less versatile than Chorney, but a better RD than Chorney. Shields was very good on offense on Thursday, but a tad loose down low on D. Tonight he was staying home. Nice adjustment.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 11-09-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old
11-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

ChicagoBlues, how has Jaskin looked since he came back? Also, how has Hakanpaa looked? Thanks in advance!

Old
11-11-2013, 12:51 PM
STL fan in IA

Looks like Leopold will be out a minimum of 2 months with hand ligament surgery. Who gets the D call-up from the Wolves? I would guess Chorney but there really aren't any good options IMO. Time to test the depth!

Old
11-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Looks like Leopold will be out a minimum of 2 months with hand ligament surgery. Who gets the D call-up from the Wolves? I would guess Chorney but there really aren't any good options IMO. Time to test the depth!
Looks like Cole has a new job! He seems to have been playing fairly well lately. So, I think he can be a reasonable replacement for Leopold, who was playing adequately, but had his weaknesses. The difference is that Cole has an upside, which can be approached through more regular play, and Leopold does not. So, The Blues may even improve (after a while) with Cole playing.

Old
11-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
As much as I don't want to say it, I think Chorney is better off on the call up. He was bad on Thursday, but much better tonight. Shields is good, but I would not call him up just yet. However, depending on the matchup, Shields might be able to handle a highly protected role. The kind of guy who, sometime soon, needs to see what it takes at NHL level so he can take those lessons back down to the A and apply them.

And it's my pleasure to contribute in this way. Every game is on TV and, when I can, I will "blog" it.

EDIT: I didn't state the obvious, Shields plays RD and Chorney plays LD, but Chorney can also play RD. Shields is less versatile than Chorney, but a better RD than Chorney. Shields was very good on offense on Thursday, but a tad loose down low on D. Tonight he was staying home. Nice adjustment.
Given the strength of the Blues top 2 defensive pairings, we do have the luxury of sheltering a third pairing player is we needed to. Just that the call up is only likely to enjoy the press box unless we see another injury, so I'd agree Chorney is the most likely.

You're right that Shields will need to learn what he needs to do to take the next steps, but I imagine he'll have to wait for a shorter term injury call up (or until expanded rosters).

Old
11-11-2013, 02:26 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Looks like Cole has a new job! He seems to have been playing fairly well lately. So, I think he can be a reasonable replacement for Leopold, who was playing adequately, but had his weaknesses. The difference is that Cole has an upside, which can be approached through more regular play, and Leopold does not. So, The Blues may even improve (after a while) with Cole playing.
Well, of course Cole gets in the lineup but I think it's a pretty safe bet that the Blues call up a d-man. If they don't do it soon, they'll at least do it later in the week when they head on the road (like all teams, they would want at least 1 spare on road trips). I was just trying to get people's opinions on who they think that call-up will be. I say Chorney. I wished the Blues had better options though.

Old
11-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Well, of course Cole gets in the lineup but I think it's a pretty safe bet that the Blues call up a d-man. If they don't do it soon, they'll at least do it later in the week when they head on the road (like all teams, they would want at least 1 spare on road trips). I was just trying to get people's opinions on who they think that call-up will be. I say Chorney. I wished the Blues had better options though.
I'd guess the call-up will be Chorney, and that he'll just sit in the pressbox.

Old
11-11-2013, 03:19 PM
ChicagoBlues

Link to Wolves' current statistics.

Minor league D-men who are current Blues property:

Chorney RD/LD
He can play both sides and is better when his partner (usually Shields) stays home because Chorney tends to roam a little. Smallish, but high hockey IQ and inconsistent.
Polak would be a good partner.

Fairchild RD/LD
He is capable of playing both sides if needed, but preferable on the right side at ES. A very smart player who just needs to slow down the play in his head. A little bit like Kris Russell.

Shields RD
He can do it all, but Alklha nailed it. Shields needs to prove his consistency, but needs a NHL game or two on the ice and a game or two in the press box. This should happen when there is not a long-term injury situation. His hyper-awareness allows him to make micro-adjustments in his positioning when away from the puck. His calm nature allows him to slow down the play and make good decisions and his super-high level of confidence allows him to believe that he can play with the big boys.

Edmundson RD
He is a skinny bean pole, but mean and Coach Anderson actively calms him down to refocus. I'll keep a closer eye on him in the next few games. Tends to get caught of position once in a while and I think this is due, in part, to his emotional style of play. He and Fairchild might need to find a way to meditate a little and breath.

Hakanpaa LD
I have no information on him except he is not injured and has sat out the last couple of games. I would expect him to be in at least two of the next three games. Wolves play 3 games in 4 days starting Wednesday. He is on my radar to watch more closely, though.

Ponich LD
I have got nothing on him. He is with Kalamazoo of the ECHL.

-------------

With the Wolves playing 3 games in 4 days coming up, I would expect Chorney to be called up sooner rather than just prior to the Blues upcoming road trip in order to not risk injury to Chorney. After Chorney, the Blues are in trouble. For those who think the Blues have tons of defensive depth, think again.

At this point, depending on the Blues' future forward needs (READ: Whoever gets injured), I would expect Jaskin to be called up if a 2nd/3rd line player is injured and Bolduc or Shattock if two 4th liners get injured.

Besides Shields, Tyler Shattock is another forgotten prospect. His role is limited, but he is damn good at it!!

Jaskin needs to work on foot speed and on-ice awareness, but he is a load.

Old
11-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Link to Wolves' current statistics.

Ponich LD
I have got nothing on him. He is with Kalamazoo of the ECHL.

-------------

With the Wolves playing 3 games in 4 days coming up, I would expect Chorney to be called up sooner rather than just prior to the Blues upcoming road trip in order to not risk injury to Chorney.
I assume that Ponich will be brought up by The Wolves to fill out the defence.

Old
11-11-2013, 04:54 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I assume that Ponich will be brought up by The Wolves to fill out the defence.
That's my guess too, Robb.

So far Ponich has played 4 games for Chicago and 2 for Kalamazoo.
Here's the summaries (Nov. 6, Nov. 8) for the two games in which Ponich has played.

In the scoring section hover over the +/- symbol and you'll see that Ponich was on the ice for an opposing goal late in the third period TWICE; once in each game. EDIT: The bigger picture, I suppose, is that the Kalamazoo coach trusted Ponich to be on the ice late in the third period. I guess that might mean something.

Veilleux, btw, has played 2 games in Kalamazoo, has no points and is a -2.

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 11-11-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old
11-11-2013, 05:44 PM
ChicagoBlues

I think it is important to note that about halfway through the 3rd period Anderson put out Jaskin on the 1st line with Locke and Bolduc. Jaskin stayed on the 1st line for the rest of the game.

Old
11-12-2013, 10:46 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
The Notorious

vCash: 1050
Shane Harper isn't property of the blues is he?

He's playing really well in the AHL, wonder if he has any NHL future.

Old
11-13-2013, 09:15 AM
aparch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow View Post
Shane Harper isn't property of the blues is he?

He's playing really well in the AHL, wonder if he has any NHL future.
http://www.chicagonow.com/howlin-wol...per-to-wolves/

Apparently the kid can do things Crosby can't. Either hasn't quite developed or hasn't had the faith of coaches to utilize him properly.

Old
11-13-2013, 09:16 AM
aparch

And, with the Colaiacovo re-signing, that answers any questions about the depth of talented defensemen the Blues have in Chicago.

Old
11-13-2013, 09:28 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Duel Cancer Survivor

Yeah so much for help from the depth of our AHL team eh? I see, all I am going to say about this asinine signing of Cola is if another D-Man goes down for a extended period, the Blues are in big trouble.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:08 AM
ChicagoBlues

C'mon peeps...the ledge is getting thin.

The Blues have tremendous prospective depth on defense, and that is it.

2MM is basically right that Fairchild would have been next in line ahead of Chorney, but he was injured. In fact he finished last season on the IR and has played in only 4 games so far between the ECHL and AHL this season.

Besides, 2012-2013 was Fairchild's second pro season and his development was disrupted by injuries. It feels like he's been in the AHL for longer, but the reality is that he has not. And we all know that most d-men take a few years at the pro level to properly develop into an NHL-level type d-man.

I had a strong feeling that Whitney would be claimed, but signing .gifMan serves the same purpose.

Let's just try to have some clarity on the defense situation and not get ahead of ourselves. Let them develop!

Shane Harper is Wolves' property in the AHL and belongs to a team other than the Kalamazoo Wings of the ECHL. He's got wheels, quickly recovers to the defensive zone, is mostly heads-up and is a stout dude. Only 5'11", but hovers around 193-195 lbs.

He took a slow, deliberate route in his development with an extra year in juniors and coming up through the minor-pro systems.

He has no bearing on the Blues directly, but plays with Rattie, so that is the only reason I pay attention to him.

Let the defensemen develop and try to have some larger perspective on this.

Choose the red pill and you will see!

Old
11-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
The Notorious

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
Yeah so much for help from the depth of our AHL team eh? I see, all I am going to say about this asinine signing of Cola is if another D-Man goes down for a extended period, the Blues are in big trouble.
Cola really won't play unless Cole gets hurt. Who knows who gets sent down after Leopold comes back, but right now Cola is the backup to Cole.

Chicago has good young defensemen, it's just a matter of them not being ready. Hakanpaa, Edmundson, Shields just aren't ready yet. This team has those 3 and Vanelli and Schmaltz in the waiting. The defensive core of this team isn't too bad, it just may take some time to get everyone up to speed.

If anything, we now know that Fairchild and Chorney aren't the answers. Fairchild may not even have a NHL future at all anymore.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Celtic Note
Ugly as Sin

Quote:
C'mon peeps...the ledge is getting thin.

The Blues have tremendous prospective depth on defense, and that is it.

2MM is basically right that Fairchild would have been next in line ahead of Chorney, but he was injured. In fact he finished last season on the IR and has played in only 4 games so far between the ECHL and AHL this season.

Besides, 2012-2013 was Fairchild's second pro season and his development was disrupted by injuries. It feels like he's been in the AHL for longer, but the reality is that he has not. And we all know that most d-men take a few years at the pro level to properly develop into an NHL-level type d-man.

I had a strong feeling that Whitney would be claimed, but signing .gifMan serves the same purpose.

Let's just try to have some clarity on the defense situation and not get ahead of ourselves. Let them develop!

Shane Harper is Wolves' property in the AHL and belongs to a team other than the Kalamazoo Wings of the ECHL. He's got wheels, quickly recovers to the defensive zone, is mostly heads-up and is a stout dude. Only 5'11", but hovers around 193-195 lbs.

He took a slow, deliberate route in his development with an extra year in juniors and coming up through the minor-pro systems.

He has no bearing on the Blues directly, but plays with Rattie, so that is the only reason I pay attention to him.

Let the defensemen develop and try to have some larger perspective on this.

Choose the red pill and you will see!
I agree that we have solid prospect depth. The only problem is they are a year or two away from being ready. AND that is ok IMO.

We were able to go out and sign a depth guy (Cola) and all seems to work again.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:23 AM
ChicagoBlues

^Dazz rite!

Old
11-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

Signing Cola was actually a good decision when you think about it. It gives the Blues a defenseman capable of filling in on the third pairing and not sucking too bad, and it leaves the defensive core of Chicago intact. It's a win-win. And with what I've heard about Edmundson I'm starting to get excited.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:32 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daley Tarasenkshow View Post
Cola really won't play unless Cole gets hurt. Who knows who gets sent down after Leopold comes back, but right now Cola is the backup to Cole.

Chicago has good young defensemen, it's just a matter of them not being ready. Hakanpaa, Edmundson, Shields just aren't ready yet. This team has those 3 and Vanelli and Schmaltz in the waiting. The defensive core of this team isn't too bad, it just may take some time to get everyone up to speed.

If anything, we now know that Fairchild and Chorney aren't the answers. Fairchild may not even have a NHL future at all anymore.
I disagree with that projection of Fairchild. He has high hockey IQ, skates well, plays with his head up, passes well and is surprisingly active in his own zone.

Fairchild needs to slow down a little, so that he avoids stupid mistakes, meaning he gets a little greedy with some long passes. He gets a little nervous sometimes. He is a little bit like Kris Russell. Even Shattenkirk makes dumb-ass plays now and again. Fairchild has an NHL future, but needs at least this season to get his legs back under him and hopefully his play continues on the current upswing that merits a call-up.

Shields is closer than Edmundson.

Old
11-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

Quote:
I disagree with that projection of Fairchild. He has high hockey IQ, skates well, plays with his head up, passes well and is surprisingly active in his own zone.

Fairchild needs to slow down a little, so that he avoids stupid mistakes, meaning he gets a little greedy with some long passes. He gets a little nervous sometimes. He is a little bit like Kris Russell. Even Shattenkirk makes dumb-ass plays now and again. Fairchild has an NHL future, but needs at least this season to get his legs back under him and hopefully his play continues on the current upswing that merits a call-up.

Shields is closer than Edmundson.
That should be expected though. Shields is in his third full pro season and this is Edmundson's first pro year of any kind.

Old
11-13-2013, 11:40 AM
ChicagoBlues

Yeah...Shields is so far ahead of Edmundson that he was almost completely forgotten in the Blues HF Boards prospect rankings.

This tiny fact highlights the sad reality that we fans lack clarity. When I can I will keep a close eye on Shields and the same for Hakanpaa.

Old
11-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

Quote:
Yeah...Shields is so far ahead of Edmundson that he was almost completely forgotten in the Blues HF Boards prospect rankings.

This tiny fact highlights the sad reality that we fans lack clarity. When I can I will keep a close eye on Shields and the same for Hakanpaa.
I didn't mean that in a bad way. I just meant that I would expect a guy that is in his third full pro season should be a little more developed than a guy who's in his first pro season. It's not a slight on either one of them.

Closed Thread