Notices

Lets talk expansion and relocation and giant squid

Closed Thread

Old
09-20-2003, 06:57 AM
Boston Bruno

vCash: 500
Lets talk expansion and relocation and giant squid

Its been a few years. The dust has settled a bit.. the Thrashers look like they could be a playoff bound team?

What is your feeling about expansion now? Looking back, do you feel the NHL has done the right thing by expanding? Do you feel that the talent level in the NHL is still dilluted?

Over the years, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton, Carloina and Florida have all faced SERIOUS fiscal issues

Other than Florida (tampa too? memory is short), the expansion teams for a whole have been fairly steady?
(Anahiem, San Jose, Nashville ,Columbus, Minnesota, Atlanta)

Relocation?

Is there something to be said about wanting to see the Montreal Canadiens move to Toldedo and become the Toledo Mud Chickens?
Would you agree that the NHL would benifit from the complete destruction of Montreal by a giant squid?

If an american team was to fall by the wayside (Pittsburgh), would you think that a relocation to a CANADIAN team may be plausible via the next CBA and a stronger equilization plan?

Getting back to the giant squid for a minute, should he be radioactive and attack from the St Lawrence Seaway, or should he come via Antarctican Fishing Cargo boat as a small squid? Kept originally as Jean Phillipe Routi-Bouchards pet.. and one night drunk on Molson Export and phat on Poutine he casts his Squid buddy into the sewers of montreal.. where it grows to extra large proportions..

Then after the Habs lose 5-0 to Toronto on National CBC broadcast, the Squid is forced to leave the confines of Montreals sewer do to the copious amounts of tissues being flushed into the sewer..

Angered by his displacement, he begins to rampage..

Enough squid.. sorry about that, bloody tangents..

Could, or should the NHL go back into Quebec City? Regina? Perhaps a team on the East coast of Canada? How about a return to Winnipeg - they have almost 750 THOUSAND canadian people.. Thats gotta be better for a hockey draw than 100 million americans.

thoughts?

GO SQUID!

Old
09-20-2003, 10:12 AM
Ratty

I'm not so crazy about expansion.

But I do love calamari!!

Old
09-20-2003, 10:33 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Wow....I dont know what to say....go broons?

Old
09-20-2003, 10:40 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing one of those giant squids at the Smithsonian; isn't it that there have been only 9 giant squids known and none seen alive. I always love the stories of a fish thought extinct in 1943 caught of the Great Barrier Reef; or some fish with 6 eyeballs and 3 fins across its back discovered and immediately dated back to the Ice Age. What I am waiting for is a live Wooley Mamoth found in the artic only to find out he's Jordon Tootoo's pet dog

Old
09-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
I'm pretty sure I remember seeing one of those giant squids at the Smithsonian; isn't it that there have been only 9 giant squids known and none seen alive. I always love the stories of a fish thought extinct in 1943 caught of the Great Barrier Reef; or some fish with 6 eyeballs and 3 fins across its back discovered and immediately dated back to the Ice Age. What I am waiting for is a live Wooley Mamoth found in the artic only to find out he's Jordon Tootoo's pet dog
Correct on all counts. No Giant Squid has ever been seen alive...

The fish in question I believe was a coelacanth? In Madagascar?
(Most interesting things happen around Madagascar for some reason)

I dont know why I made mention of something a insane as the giant squid - I think I fell asleep watching Clash of the Titans again..

Old
09-20-2003, 01:54 PM
Jim Carey Price

Only place a team could survive in Canada these days is around Toronto..Hamilton tried to get one for the last round of expansion but lost out....There are also a lot of implications with the Leafs owning all these rights to having teams in the vincinity of Toronto that could thwart any ideas of relocating a team there

Old
09-20-2003, 08:03 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Thornton Fan
Only place a team could survive in Canada these days is around Toronto..Hamilton tried to get one for the last round of expansion but lost out....There are also a lot of implications with the Leafs owning all these rights to having teams in the vincinity of Toronto that could thwart any ideas of relocating a team there
for all the $$$$$ the government makes in taxes on beverages and such + parking + tourists-inside and outside to watch games, you'd think we'd use our heads and discard the 10% "entertainment tax". if that was done i think the nords/jets might still be alive and kicking. the fan base is there. paying an extra $5 million on a $50 million team would be incentive for any ownership in canada to relocate. then again...IMHO if Chretien had any clue whatsoever we'd have backed our neighbors better the last couple years. doh! i cant believe i said the "c" word where so many youngsters may/may not visit. jeepers h. chretien

Old
09-21-2003, 12:59 PM
Archer Daniels

vCash:
Rah !

Jumbo Joe did his time doin community service for the pub incident. I give him that. Yet I think he should give up the C because of it.
NO WAY is he the LEADER - he should be with Mike Keenan in Sunrise, instead of slammin down the Tequilla Sunrises in Ontario eh!
Long Live Iron Mikey!! RAH

Closed Thread