HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 20 All-Time Flames Players (#13)

View Poll Results: 13th greatest all-time Flames player?
Joel Otto 0 0%
Jim Peplinkski 0 0%
Doug Riseborough 0 0%
Tim Hunter 0 0%
Sergei Makarov 0 0%
Joey Mullen 7 25.00%
Paul Reinhart 9 32.14%
Brad McCrimmon 0 0%
Rejean Lemelin 0 0%
Alex Tanguay 0 0%
Phil Housley 2 7.14%
Dion Phaneuf 0 0%
Willi Plett 0 0%
Robert Reichel 0 0%
Robyn Regehr 0 0%
Jamie Macoun 0 0%
Mike Bullard 0 0%
Carey Wilson 0 0%
Cory Stillman 0 0%
Craig Conroy 7 25.00%
Colin Patterson 0 0%
Dan Quinn 0 0%
Daymond Langkow 0 0%
Fred Brathwaite 0 0%
German Titov 0 0%
John Tonelli 0 0%
Mike Cammalleri 0 0%
Nick Fotiu 0 0%
Rob Ramage 0 0%
Steve Konroyd 0 0%
Valeri Bure 0 0%
Martin Gelinas 0 0%
Tony Amonte 0 0%
Stephane Yelle 0 0%
Guy Chouinard 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Rolen
setoguchi sucks

vCash: 500
Top 20 All-Time Flames Players (#13)

The rankings should be based on what the player accomplished in Calgary and not overall in his career.

Ranks

1. Jarome Iginla- 69%
2. Al MacInnis- 61%
3. Theoren Fleury- 66%
4. Lanny McDonald- 53%
5. Miikka Kiprusoff- 63%
6. Joe Nieuwendyk- 48%
7. Mike Vernon- 38%
8. Kent Nilsson- 33%
9. Haken Loob- 47%
10. Gary Roberts- 40%
11. Gary Suter- 26%
12. Doug Gilmour- 20%

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 03:37 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
This has to be Guy Chouinard he played all but one of his seasons with the Flames and is in the top 10 for goals, assists, and points he was the first Flame to get 50 goals in a season no one else comes close on the list to what he accomplished as a Flame. He is easily the most underrated Flame on this list.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:08 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

vCash: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
This has to be Guy Chouinard he played all but one of his seasons with the Flames and is in the top 10 for goals, assists, and points he was the first Flame to get 50 goals in a season no one else comes close on the list to what he accomplished as a Flame. He is easily the most underrated Flame on this list.
Quote:
The rankings should be based on what the player accomplished in Calgary
Three seasons in Calgary. No SCF appearances. No Cup. Lots of other guys on that list belong ahead of him.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:10 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Three seasons in Calgary. No SCF appearances. No Cup. Lots of other guys on that list belong ahead of him.
I thought it was with the Flames in general I guess I misread. I think it should be with the organization as the Atlanta Flames are part of our past.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 04:47 PM
PierreMcGuire*
How dissapointing

Reinhart.

PierreMcGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I think it should be with the organization as the Atlanta Flames are part of our past.
I disagree. Phoenix really hasn't honored any of the Jets. Carolina hasn't done so with the Whalers. Colorado hasn't with the Nords. The new Jets aren't really keeping the Thrashers history. I doubt many of us care about the Atlanta days. When I think of the Flames, I think of CALGARY.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 05:47 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
Gilmour is a bit high, isn't he? 3.5 seasons in Calgary, and he's good for 12th all time.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 998
Mullen, then Reinhart

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 10:58 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Forwards have been way over favored thus far.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Housley. Hands down.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:49 PM
FLAMESFAN

I'm going with Reinhart. Regher should start to get some consideration soon too.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 01:53 PM
FLAMESFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Gilmour is a bit high, isn't he? 3.5 seasons in Calgary, and he's good for 12th all time.
Personally I had/have Reinhart, Conroy, Regher, then Gilmour & Mullen. So I agree with you a bit.

Old
11-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
Housley. Hands down.
Definitely ahead of any other defenseman on this list.

Old
11-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janks View Post
Housley. Hands down.
I honestly missed his name completely.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 03:05 PM
pdd

I am amused by all the Housley support after how much flak I took for basically demanding his presence earlier in the process...

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
I am amused by all the Housley support after how much flak I took for basically demanding his presence earlier in the process...
Thanks for taking one for the team?

Old
11-07-2012, 04:50 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
In terms of career? Sure, he wasn't that significant in his years in Calgary though, great player no doubt. I would say Reinhart, even Ramage had a bigger team impact though.

Old
11-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Money Baer
Unsustainable

Quote:
Definitely not.

Compare what Reinhart did in Calgary, then compare that to what Housley did in Calgary.

Housley might have had the better career, but Reinhart did more/played more for the flames.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 05:29 PM
FLAMESFAN

I'm not sure if the Housley support is sarcastic or not, but it should be. I don't have him in the top 20, and I find it hard to see how someone can argue he is.

Old
11-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Definitely not.

Compare what Reinhart did in Calgary, then compare that to what Housley did in Calgary.

Housley might have had the better career, but Reinhart did more/played more for the flames.
Paul Reinhart was a decent PMD on a good team scoring a lot of points during a high scoring era. Unfortunately he was made of glass, and he played like it - a lot. If he was able to stay healthy, we might be having a different discussion, and he wouldn't have been given away for nothing near the end of his short career. Sure, he did play more for the Flames, and scored more points, but I don't think that's the whole criteria for this scenario. Once Suter & Macinnis established themselves, he was quickly relegated to a supporting role.

Phil Housely helped keep the Flames from being a complete laughing stock during the dead puck era. However, one could argue that a few first overall picks during the Young Guns period would have benefited the team in the long run. Assuming, of course, the right player(s) would have been drafted...

Old
11-07-2012, 08:26 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Forwards have been way over favored thus far.
Tough to say, Calgary had a lot of good forwards and its hard to rate a defenseman from the 80's and early 90's since their was so much scoring.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 01:59 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Paul Reinhart was a decent PMD on a good team scoring a lot of points during a high scoring era. Unfortunately he was made of glass, and he played like it - a lot. If he was able to stay healthy, we might be having a different discussion, and he wouldn't have been given away for nothing near the end of his short career. Sure, he did play more for the Flames, and scored more points, but I don't think that's the whole criteria for this scenario. Once Suter & Macinnis established themselves, he was quickly relegated to a supporting role.

Phil Housely helped keep the Flames from being a complete laughing stock during the dead puck era. However, one could argue that a few first overall picks during the Young Guns period would have benefited the team in the long run. Assuming, of course, the right player(s) would have been drafted...
Uh pretty sure you did not watch him play much from this assessment. Most of his injury issues were during the tail end of his career when his back gave out. He was normally a healthy player for most of his career. Also how does McInnis and Suter being better make Reinhart worse? That's such a flawed argument. Calling him a decent PMD is also completely inaccurate. He was regularly above the 50 point mark as a defender, something only a handful of defenders did each year even in that era while playing twice the defensive game Housley did. Your argument as to why that makes Housley better is non existent. Housley had literally no defensive game. Purely a point getter much like Wideman, and in his time in Calgary his averages were worse than Reinhart. The fact anyone can have Housley over Reinhart is just hard to fathom.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:11 AM
FLAMESFAN

Not only should Reinhart be ahead of Housley, Regher should too.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Stewie Griffin
Driving a Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Uh pretty sure you did not watch him play much from this assessment. Most of his injury issues were during the tail end of his career when his back gave out. He was normally a healthy player for most of his career.
Uh, you sure you did? His back injuries plagued him for most of his career - the pain just became unbearable near the end, forcing his retirement. The pain that he was in was quite obvious in some games - for someone who implies to have watched him play you seem to conveniently ignore the fact that he completely shied away from the physical aspect of the game as a result of these injury problems.

Quote:
Also how does McInnis and Suter being better make Reinhart worse? That's such a flawed argument.
I didn't say that they made him worse, please don't put words into my mouth. I said the emergence of Suter & MacInnis relegated Reinhart to a secondary role with the team - because they were better.

Quote:
Calling him a decent PMD is also completely inaccurate. He was regularly above the 50 point mark as a defender, something only a handful of defenders did each year even in that era while playing twice the defensive game Housley did. Your argument as to why that makes Housley better is non existent. Housley had literally no defensive game. Purely a point getter much like Wideman, and in his time in Calgary his averages were worse than Reinhart. The fact anyone can have Housley over Reinhart is just hard to fathom.
Funny how you bring up points not being an issue, right after you use that as your claim that Reinhart was so much better than... anyone. If you thought by bringing in Housely the Flames were getting a Norris defenseman, that's on you. However, his offensive vision & hockey IQ was unmatched - possibly by any defenseman to ever play in Calgary, and yeah he was a sieve defensively but IMO he made up for it by his offensive contributions.

Look, I'm not saying Reinhart was a terrible player - and if that was the impression you get, that's not my intent. What I'm saying is that Reinhart could have been quite good had he not had injury troubles. That's kept him at "decent" in my mind. If he didn't have those problems, he most likely would have been a perennial all-star, but he did. Maybe it's my disappointment that he didn't evolve into that player which has tainted my view of him, I'll admit that. As a result of what he didn't contribute (just as much as what he did) I measure his impact to the team as less than Housley's impact.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:32 AM
FLAMESFAN

Macinnis & Suter would have made almost any Dman 3rd. It's not like Housley was a physical Dman either. This is more than just how many points someone put up, were they a leader on the team and did they do alot in the community? When I think of Housley (and I don't that often), he just doesn't stand out in my memory as a Flame.
Looking back at the Dmen we had in Housley's second stint with us how did we not make the playoffs? Housley/Morris/Gauthier/Lydman/Regher/Albelin/Smith/Hulse/Simpson