HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2012, 06:09 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

vCash: 500
Hopefully this doesn't become a Scott Gordon-like losing streak.

Old
12-08-2012, 06:46 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Game over. 3-1 Loss. Nino with the unassisted lone goal in the 3rd.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:27 PM
InformTheMasses

This game was one of the worst games I ever attended. It was a complete waste of my time to go, and probably a waste of time to write about it or for anyone to read about.

The Sound Tigers defense corp is about as bad as you will find in organized hockey. As a team/group they can not keep a puck in the zone, and are unable to make passes out of their zone cleanly.

The Devils got to every puck and won most of battles in front of the net, along the boards, and in the corners.

Notable Scratches: Kabanov, de Haan, Hamonic, Ullstrom

Nilsson was not sharp, but wasn't bad. The three goals were 1) a deflection, 2) a 5-on-3, and 3) a 2 on 1 odd man rush. That said there were saves he should have made cleanly that he did not and left the puck sitting out front (which is like suicide with this defense).

I liked what I saw from Cizikas tonight, he hustled and played smart (AS ALWAYS) but he took a big shot off the leg/foot and struggled to get off the ice. Hopefully he doesnt miss much time, but if they continue to play like this as a team, it won't matter anyway.

I have to start questioning this coach, there are players that I KNOW are a lot better than what they are showing, and they ALL look lost.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:44 PM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
This game was one of the worst games I ever attended. It was a complete waste of my time to go, and probably a waste of time to write about it or for anyone to read about.

The Sound Tigers defense corp is about as bad as you will find in organized hockey. As a team/group they can not keep a puck in the zone, and are unable to make passes out of their zone cleanly.

The Devils got to every puck and won most of battles in front of the net, along the boards, and in the corners.

Nilsson was not sharp, but wasn't bad. The three goals were 1) a deflection, 2) a 5-on-3, and 3) a 2 on 1 odd man rush. That said there were saves he should have made cleanly that he did not and left the puck sitting out front (which is like suicide with this defense).

I liked what I saw from Cizikas tonight, he hustled and played smart (AS ALWAYS) but he took a big shot off the leg/foot and struggled to get off the ice. Hopefully he doesnt miss much time, but if they continue to play like this as a team, it won't matter anyway.

I have to start questioning this coach, there are players that I KNOW are a lot better than what they are showing, and they ALL look lost.
How did guys like Larsson and Josefson look if you dont mind me asking?

Old
12-08-2012, 07:51 PM
InformTheMasses

Larsson looked good just don't ask him to fight (Gallant handed him his lunch). Larsson looked like a player should look after spending a season in the NHL (NINO did NOT).

Not sure what I can tell you specifically about Larsson that you haven't already seen at the NHL level.... smooth, smart, handles well, good first passes, soft.

I didn't really focus on Josefsson, but he didn't open my eyes. In my opinion, given how terrible the Sound Tiger defense was if the Devils had a bona fide future NHL sniper/playmaker I would have noticed them a lot more, and they would have carved up McIver/Wishart/Landry/Ness/Cantin and even Donovan. Nobody on the offense jumped out at me, and thats probably why the Devils have the record they have.

Old
12-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Fire the coach and put Thompson back there. With the lockout he is being wasted.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

vCash: 50
Quote:

I'm in complete and utter shock at the free fall this team is in. I know I shouldn't be given the IDENTICAL situation the parent club finds itself in EVERY year at the SAME ****ing time.

This team should be a lot better than they've been playing. No BS excuse about CDH being out for the year.

I'm sure if Brent Thompson was coaching we'd be seeing better results...

And sign Kitchon for crying out loud!

Old
12-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Poulin 0n My St1ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
Fire the coach and put Thompson back there. With the lockout he is being wasted.
Exactly. Don't know why it was such a necessity to promote him so soon. Garth couldn't foresee this lockout being long-term?

Old
12-08-2012, 08:08 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin 0n My St1ck View Post
Exactly. Don't know why it was such a necessity to promote him so soon. Garth couldn't foresee this lockout being long-term?
I agree, Thompson coaching this team would make them much better.

Old
12-08-2012, 08:21 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:

I don't know about that. The one game I went to this year the Tigers were down 3-0 and scored towards the end of the 2nd to make it 3-1. Then once the 3rd period started he decided to take a run at Sami Vatenen for some reason, giving them a PP that they ultimately scored on. It seemed incredibly stupid and pointless. Maybe that was rare for him?

Old
12-08-2012, 08:36 PM
InformTheMasses

I don't want to say that is rare. He does have a penchant for taking some bonehead penalties for running players that lead to bad things. For example tonight, his one mistake was running a player on the PK, and hit the guy a good 3 seconds after he passed the puck. An interference call led to a 5 on 3 and that led to another goal. Ths are bonehead plays, and he needs to fix that, but it comes from aggression and trying to make a good hockey play and finish his checks, I can deal with that from young player.

The smarts I speak of, is his positioning (especially on the kill) getting in passing and shooting lanes. His communication with other players on the ice, in all situations is AMAZING. He is very sharp and has a great head, to me he seems to read the play faster than anyone on the ice (offensively and defensively) he is one of the best forechecking forwards outside of the NHL today (very important in todays NHL) and he always finishes his checks. I just love the way the kid sees and plays the game.

For what it's worth I lov Sundstroms forechecking ability as well. He played a bad game tonight though, like everyone else.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Zippy316

Quote:
Larsson looked good just don't ask him to fight (Gallant handed him his lunch). Larsson looked like a player should look after spending a season in the NHL (NINO did NOT).

Not sure what I can tell you specifically about Larsson that you haven't already seen at the NHL level.... smooth, smart, handles well, good first passes, soft.

I didn't really focus on Josefsson, but he didn't open my eyes. In my opinion, given how terrible the Sound Tiger defense was if the Devils had a bona fide future NHL sniper/playmaker I would have noticed them a lot more, and they would have carved up McIver/Wishart/Landry/Ness/Cantin and even Donovan. Nobody on the offense jumped out at me, and thats probably why the Devils have the record they have.
What happened with Larsson/Josefson.

I saw Josefson had a 5 minute boarding major and Larsson had a 10 minute misconduct as well.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:39 PM
InformTheMasses

Nelson was along the boards, Josefson ran him HARD into the boards. It looked bad, but Nelson stayed in the game. all players on ice came together, a lot of pushing, grabbing, and finally after a minute or so gallant and larsson dropped gloves (while refs were still grabbing on) which is good for larsson, because Gallant landed 2 or 3 quick overhand rights and larsson went down in a heap, could have been much worse for larsson if they were allowed to go. They gave Gallant and Larsson 10 minute mnisconducts instead of 5 minute fightings... not really sure why.

Old
12-08-2012, 09:55 PM
InformTheMasses

One last note. There was practically NOBODY in the building. For a Saturday late afternoon game with two somewhat local hockey teams farm teams in town while there is no NHL hockey it was extremely surprising.

I used to go to Albany games a lot, but only go to a couple games a year now over the last 2 seasons. This was the LOWEST Attendance night I saw EVER in that building.

I am not sure what to attribute it to most, people being fed up with Hockey given the NHL Labor situation? Local economy? Unemployment in the area? All three? Not sure but it was Alarming, I walked around the place several times, and couldn't help but think, if this continues, this team is leaving/folding.

It's too bad, I took my family of 4 and set ON THE RED LINE 12 rows up and paid $80 TOTAL. I have to think people can afford this, but maybe not, NY is in bad shape. In any event the NHL labor dispute is going to anger/push away a lot more people than they can even imagine.

Old
12-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Zippy316

Quote:
One last note. There was practically NOBODY in the building. For a Saturday late afternoon game with two somewhat local hockey teams farm teams in town while there is no NHL hockey it was extremely surprising.

I used to go to Albany games a lot, but only go to a couple games a year now over the last 2 seasons. This was the LOWEST Attendance night I saw EVER in that building.

I am not sure what to attribute it to most, people being fed up with Hockey given the NHL Labor situation? Local economy? Unemployment in the area? All three? Not sure but it was Alarming, I walked around the place several times, and couldn't help but think, if this continues, this team is leaving/folding.

It's too bad, I took my family of 4 and set ON THE RED LINE 12 rows up and paid $80 TOTAL. I have to think people can afford this, but maybe not, NY is in bad shape. In any event the NHL labor dispute is going to anger/push away a lot more people than they can even imagine.
Albany's been like that, they had one or two winning seasons in the last 10 or so years. The Devils own the Albany team and they don't care about winning, all they care about is developing the prospects. That and someone mentioned that TUC is absolutely huge, which definitely plays into the crowds looking smaller than they are.

It seems like the ideal location for an AHL team, but for some reason, it just hasn't worked. I'm surprised the Devils haven't been pressing Rutgers to make an arena or support an arena in the middle of New Jersey. It would be a perfect location for a Devil affiliate. They could pair up with Rutgers to if Rutgers ever decides they wants to go DI. Open up an arena on or near Rutgers campus and share it with them.

Old
12-09-2012, 08:32 AM
BillD

Quote:

Please elaborate on the Nino comment.

Old
12-09-2012, 11:56 AM
kirant
Kiprusoffarian

vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
It probably means than Nino did not really look like he gained much from his NHL year. It was not enough to exchange a full NHL year. By comparison, Larsson looks like a smart man, who picked up tips and tools from this NHL year.

At the same time, Nino did spend his year stapled on the 4th line with 2 players who had no right being in the NHL either. Also, Larsson is the better prospect, flat out. In quality and in upside. He made the lineup right out of being drafted. Niederreiter should only be making the NHL lineup this year or next.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:51 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Bridgeport up 3-0 on Syracuse after one. Goals from Landry, Cizikas and Sundstrom. Haven't seen any of the game, just the score, so I couldn't tell you how anyone has looked. Nilsson in net, 9/9 so far on shots.

Hopefully they can hang on and snap the skid.

Old
12-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Cizikas, Landry and Sundstrom have given the Sound Tigers a 3-0 lead at the end of 1 so far today. They really need the W today.

Old
12-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Wanderson

Is there any stream?

Old
12-09-2012, 03:32 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
Is there any stream?
Not sure.

BTW, Brock is having a good game. 1-2-3, not even through 2 periods yet. 5-1 BRI.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Bunk Moreland

It's all over in Bridgeport and the Sound Tigers have snapped their 8 game losing streak with a 7-2 victory over the Syracuse Crunch.

-Nilsson was in net making 37 saves.

-Lots of scoring for B'port with the newly appointed captain Colin McDonald taking charge scoring 2 goals and assisting on 2 others.

-Also scoring was Landry(1g 1a), Cizikas(1g), Persson(1g 1a), Sundstrom(1g) and Nelson(1g 2a). Nino has 2 assists as well.

Much needed win tonight and it was pretty much over halfway thru the second period. Hope they can turn this around and keep it going.

Old
12-09-2012, 04:46 PM
YashinWorksHard

Any news on Kabanov injury?

Old
12-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
Any news on Kabanov injury?
I messaged Michael Fornabaio, the Sound Tigers beat writer, on twitter about any updates on Kabanov. His response: There is not, yet.

Old
12-09-2012, 07:17 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post

kirant pretty much answered this one. Larsson when on the ice dominates the play and looks very confident making smart plays. Which you expect from a kid that spent the whole year last season in the NHL.

Nino on the other hand often looks invisible and you have to search oiut and find him on the ice, and if you dont pay attention and iso on him, a whole period can go by without even realizing he was on the ice. Not good for a kid that logged a full season in NHL.

I still think the kid has talent and he's producing points and goals, some more meaningful than others. But he is further away than many think.

edit: unles of course he plays on a line with Tavares. That changes everything, my 13 year old son can play on a line with Tavares and score 50 points in the NHL.

Closed Thread