HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 09:04 PM
InformTheMasses

vCash: 500
OT Game WInner

Persson (Donovan, Wishart)

Old
02-12-2013, 09:16 PM
IslandersFan17

Not sure if Nino's play reflected that of knowing Snow was there or not but def worthy of being called up IMO.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:51 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Nino recall imminent.
What's the chances Snow shocks us and calls us Brock Nelson instead of Nino.... Or calls up BOTH Brock and Nino??? Nobody can say Brock isn't deserving. As much as Brock could use another year in Bridgeport, I am totally psyched for this kid's future.

For many years we were screaming for more size at the center position... Well, regardless if the Isles choose to play him at center or wing, the kid is 6'3/6'4ish with tons of talent and great hands. I think I'm officially more excited for Brock over Nino and Strome..... Anders Lee or Brock... hmmmm.... love em both.. imagine them on the same line!!!

Old
02-13-2013, 09:01 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Probably. This kid is so talented, but also so fragile and immature. I once viewed him as a very safe pick meaning his 'floor' was an NHL third liner that would throw the body around and chip in goals at the very worst.

I view him much more of a Boom or Bust player now. I hope it's all roses from here, but Nino has shown the past 2 seasons that if things go 'south' there is NO bottom.
Well in Nino's defense, things went pretty far south last season and he answered with an All-Star year in the AHL. For a 20-year old kid from Switzerland playing in a foreign country, under the microscope of being a potential top-5 pick "bust", I'd say his response this year has been pretty impressive.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:43 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Well in Nino's defense, things went pretty far south last season and he answered with an All-Star year in the AHL. For a 20-year old kid from Switzerland playing in a foreign country, under the microscope of being a potential top-5 pick "bust", I'd say his response this year has been pretty impressive.
Well said, I have to agree here. We really could have seen the "bottom fall out" this year with Nino or seen a marginal production at best.

However, Nino was being called on as the go to guy in Bridgeport (as he should have been) and answered the bell in a big way.

That being said, I would not be the least bit surprised if Brock was called up as well. This kid has really developed well and pretty fast IMO. For only forty games in the minors Nelson has shown a lot of potential and I can see why they call him "silky."

Old
02-13-2013, 10:42 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
No question the response (for a period of time) was a good one. Then he gets upset and takes 3 weeks off and sulks when he 'feels' disrespected. Then Garth attends a game (supposedly) and he probably plays one of the most complete games I have ever seen him play, if not THE most.

What gives? I know he's only 20 but there are BIG red flags here.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:44 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
.....We really could have seen the "bottom fall out" this year with Nino or seen a marginal production at best.....
"
We aren't out of the woods yet. What if a week goes buy and no call-up is made? Does Nino go back in the tank?

I sure hope not, but given the track record I'm not optomistic.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:31 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
No question the response (for a period of time) was a good one. Then he gets upset and takes 3 weeks off and sulks when he 'feels' disrespected. Then Garth attends a game (supposedly) and he probably plays one of the most complete games I have ever seen him play, if not THE most.

What gives? I know he's only 20 but there are BIG red flags here.
He went through a slump. It happens to everyone. I understand how the timing looks, and I can't really say how he looked on the ice since I haven't caught a game since before the NHL season started, but I do know that he lost these players at that time as well: Ullstrom, Cizikas, McDonald, Hamonic; who were all big contributors in Bridgeport. He was also without Nelson and Kabanov, who were either hurt or just coming back from injury.

When you rip all of a team's weapons away and leave basically one guy, most teams are going to gameplan around that one guy. It's really not surprising that he went through a slump. It's also not surprising to see him start to play well now that Nelson and Kabanov are back, healthy and playing well.

Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe he has looked lazy on the ice. I just doubt he would play at half effort, especially if his goal was/is to play in the NHL or be traded. Playing well would help either of those things happen.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:37 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
We aren't out of the woods yet. What if a week goes buy and no call-up is made? Does Nino go back in the tank?

I sure hope not, but given the track record I'm not optomistic.
What track record? The one time he went through a slump after not getting invited to TC? What about in '10-11, when he was sent back to Portland after getting 9 games in the NHL, and put up 41 goals in 55 games?

There is no track record.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:56 AM
Brunomics

I'm at the point with the way they are producing they should bring up Nelson and Nino, scratch Aucoin and Mcdonald and see what they can get out of them because Aucoin has gone MIA and Mcdonald is at about his max.

Moulson-Tavares-Bailey
Grabner-Nielsen-Ullstrom
Okposo-Nelson-Nino
Martin-Cizikas-Boyes

Old
02-13-2013, 12:11 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
I'm at the point with the way they are producing they should bring up Nelson and Nino, scratch Aucoin and Mcdonald and see what they can get out of them because Aucoin has gone MIA and Mcdonald is at about his max.

Moulson-Tavares-Bailey
Grabner-Nielsen-Ullstrom
Okposo-Nelson-Nino
Martin-Cizikas-Boyes
If the Islanders are going to call up Nino, I highly doubt its for anything less than top six minutes.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
scott99

Not for nothing, but Donovan had a huge game too, If the Islanders start tanking, and they trade Streit or Vis (or both), Donovan will be one of the pp point men.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:33 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Not for nothing, but Donovan had a huge game too, If the Islanders start tanking, and they trade Streit or Vis (or both), Donovan will be one of the pp point men.
I hope so, although I wouldn't be surprised to see them roll this trainwreck out:

MacDonald/Strait - Hamonic
Strait/MacDonald - Carkner
Hickey - Finley

YAY.

I agree though, Donovan seems to be playing well. Hope he gets a shot at some NHL time before the year is up, so we can try to answer at least one question going into the offseason.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:33 PM
YashinWorksHard

Nice pass and vision by Kabanov in the third goal. How is he looking?

Old
02-13-2013, 12:41 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
I noticed that, didn't see him in any other highlights so tough to tell. I will say this, Kabanov looks big, or should I say tall.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:50 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
Once again, another injury shortened season. His injuries aren't the type to keep him out a week or two, he's missed more than half the season at least 2 or 3 of the past 4 seasons. The rest of this season and next season are crucial if KK is to have any future here. I'm totally rooting for him, as he seems like a genuinely good person and hard worker, whereas so many people wanted to write him off as a trouble-maker on draft day.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:52 PM
InformTheMasses

Kabanov and Persson were prominent in those highlights but have been Very quiet. Persson had been on a line with cizikas and mcdonald or sundstrom and ullstrom for most of the season. With 3 of them called. Up and sundstrom still hurt; it looks like he misses those guys pretty badly. Kabanov will take a bit as he missed a lot of time with a pretty significant injury. Too early to jump on his play yet.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:57 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Once again, another injury shortened season. His injuries aren't the type to keep him out a week or two, he's missed more than half the season at least 2 or 3 of the past 4 seasons. The rest of this season and next season are crucial if KK is to have any future here. I'm totally rooting for him, as he seems like a genuinely good person and hard worker, whereas so many people wanted to write him off as a trouble-maker on draft day.
he's not frail or injury prone..he got slashed with a skate blade. i think his future is fine..nothing is critical or crucial..he's 20

Old
02-13-2013, 12:59 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but was that not the knock on KK was having a smaller frame that would result in some potential injuries?

That being said, hard to develop if you are hardly on the ice... A shame because I remember reading about KK and thinking the kid might become one of the most dominant players in the game. I knew others saw KK as a better prospect than both Hall and Seguin at times.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:03 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but was that not the knock on KK was having a smaller frame that would result in some potential injuries?

That being said, hard to develop if you are hardly on the ice... A shame because I remember reading about KK and thinking the kid might become one of the most dominant players in the game. I knew others saw KK as a better prospect than both Hall and Seguin at times.
KK is 6'2 or 6'3. He gets props for his willingness to battle along the boards.

I think people question his scoring at the nhl level.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Hipster Doofus

Kabanov was hyped at 16 for being a dynamic offensive talent who can go end to end and take games over with his skill. In his draft year he had over a point a game before going to Russia at his dad's request and getting shunned on the team for originally defecting to Canada. He currently plays a puck possession friendly game where he likes to distribute the puck, work teh boards and create plays from down low, and still is a threat in transition and off the perimeter if a team's defense is moving/behind the play. Excellent puck skills and very agile and fast in open ice and behind the net. His upside is of a complimentary top 6 wing whose skillset means he should be a guy who can with your elite guys.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:22 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Kabanov was hyped at 16 for being a dynamic offensive talent who can go end to end and take games over with his skill. In his draft year he had over a point a game before going to Russia at his dad's request and getting shunned on the team for originally defecting to Canada. He currently plays a puck possession friendly game where he likes to distribute the puck, work teh boards and create plays from down low, and still is a threat in transition and off the perimeter if a team's defense is moving/behind the play. Excellent puck skills and very agile and fast in open ice and behind the net. His upside is of a complimentary top 6 wing whose skillset means he should be a guy who can with your elite guys.
The problem with KK is, he has NEVER shown that explosiveness he was hyped for as a 16 yo. I can't see anything from this guy that screams top 6 wing. I also don't see this top end speed you are talking about. Overall, I'd be shocked if he could ever score 15 goals in an AHL season, let alone the NHL. He has a terrible shot. Nothing about him screams elite, the last time he looked like an elite talent was at the Under-18's in 2009. 4 years later, he seems the furthest thing from an elite talent. Nice kid, but I think I have a better chance at being an NHL star than he does, and I'm 50.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:47 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
The problem with KK is, he has NEVER shown that explosiveness he was hyped for as a 16 yo. I can't see anything from this guy that screams top 6 wing. I also don't see this top end speed you are talking about. Overall, I'd be shocked if he could ever score 15 goals in an AHL season, let alone the NHL. He has a terrible shot. Nothing about him screams elite, the last time he looked like an elite talent was at the Under-18's in 2009. 4 years later, he seems the furthest thing from an elite talent. Nice kid, but I think I have a better chance at being an NHL star than he does, and I'm 50.
he has played 10...10 AHL games...take him from under the microscope for bit please...

Old
02-13-2013, 03:56 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
he has played 10...10 AHL games...take him from under the microscope for bit please...
I'm putting the last 4 years under the microscope, not his 10 AHL games.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:27 PM
bluechipbonzo

Kabanov will be a 25+ goal scorer at the AHL level next year. In two years, you'll see him in Brooklyn.

Closed Thread