HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread Part II

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2013, 05:34 PM
InformTheMasses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I haven't seen the Soundtigers play, so I can't assess they're play. From what I've read, they don't seem to be a very good team. That being the case, why are so many Islander fans clamoring for Nino, Nelson, Ness or Donovan to be given a chance with the Islanders. With 4 high end prospects, why does Bridgeport struggle? I read their defense is awful!
Well it's been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread before. The reason for the lack of success in Bridgeport is not because the core of young players isn't good enough (Nino, Nelson, SUNDSTROM, Persson, Donovan, Nilsson etc) it's because the players that they surround them with are substandard. (By the way, I don't hear or see anyone clamoring for Ness, he simply is not an NHL prospect at this point).

This team his been ravaged with injuries (Sundstrom, Nilsson, de Haan, Kabanov, Nelson and others have all missed significant time this year due to various injuries) Thats a major hit. Pair that with the call-ups of Cizikas, McDOnald, Ullstrom, Poulin and the roster is seriously depleted.

The depth guys that were signed to be 3rd and 4th liners like Sean Backman, Matt Watkins, Brandon DeFazio, Kenny Reiter etc are all getting 1st 2nd line minutes or starting in goal. Instead of playing 4th line type minutes.

The team right now, barely resembles what it did when the season began. And the defense (after Donovan, the only NHL caliber defenseman on the roster) is one of the worst Defense corps I have ever seen at any level.

By the way. I am not clamoring for any of these guys to be called up (except maybe Donovan, who I feel is ready).

Nelson, Going to be a good player, very nice all around game. Getting better all of the time, but still inconsistant (to be expected from a young player) he is good but not ready.

Nino - I'm really not sure, he's another inconsistent one but I'm very underwhelmed with his overall game. I suppose he can play a role on an NHL team as a 20 year old and possibly get by, but I wouldn't move mountains to get him on a bus to NVMC. He can still improve a lot, and would prefer him to do that in CT.

Donovan, He has outgrown Bridgeport IMO. He's ready to make the jump and even if he struggles in the NHL at the beginning it won be becuase of lack of development, he has put in his time and achieved a lot at every stage.

Ness - Forget about him. Can't begin to explain how much more effective Kichton is at the same game. Katic was always better too, and still is.

de Haan - Broken, needs to playa full season in Bridgeport for conditioning and proof of durability purposes.

Sundstrom IMO may very well turn out to be the best of the bunch, unfortunately he has been out for a month. There isn't any weak part of his game, and he will prove to be a quick mover. Wouldn't surprise me to see him in Long Island sooner than most think.

Nilsson - News of his illness has me concerned. I hope he is able to recover but I am cautious with my optimism until I know more. I really thought (and may still think) that he will be our franchise goaltender with ability to be an above average #1 goalie at the NHL level for a long time. BUT we have to see if whatever he is suffering from can be dealt with without negative implications on the ice. I hope this is true, but we will have to wait and see.

The future isn't as bleak as it may seem. It's just a little cloudy with some injury concerns and aiting for the talented defenceman to sign and come through the system. Hopefully next year everyone stays healthy, more talent is added from Juniors (Pedan, kichon, Theoret, Strome? etc) and then the guys that we sign like watkins and Defazio can actually play on the 3rd and forth lines like they are supposed to, instead of first line and Powerplay minutes.

I think that should make a big difference.

Old
03-03-2013, 07:13 PM
InformTheMasses

Todays Goals from Brock Nelson and Scott Campbell:

Sound Tigers lose 3-2 in OT.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
It's amazing, Kreider for the Rangers gets the yo-yo treatment (called up sent down, repeat), yet Nelson doesn't get a sniff of the NHL.
We should be happy about that!

Last thing we need is to be giving him some yo-yo treatment.

I'm all for Niederreiter and Nelson being left on the farm and asked to play a key role in ALL situations.

Old
03-03-2013, 08:53 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
We should be happy about that!

Last thing we need is to be giving him some yo-yo treatment.

I'm all for Niederreiter and Nelson being left on the farm and asked to play a key role in ALL situations.
Nelson has been playing great, and should be rewarded for his great play. They have Reasoner in between Ullstrom and Grabner, what a waste, can you imagine Nelson centering Grabner and Ullstrom, oh my, that would be much more dangerous offensively. AND make team better.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Bridgeport loses 3-2 in OT tonight. Are 7 points out of a playoff spot. Goals by Halmo and Nino.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:57 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
Bridgeport loses 3-2 in OT tonight. Are 7 points out of a playoff spot. Goals by Halmo and Nino.
Halmo Deflection Goal from Matt Donovan and Brock nelson:

Nino Goal From Kirill Kabanov and Brock Nelson:

Horrible Quality, Manchester jumbotron feed.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:05 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Halmo Deflection Goal from Matt Donovan and Brock nelson:

Horrible Quality, Manchester jumbotron feed.
I love how Nino fought for that goal, gets knocked down, gets back up and scores, love that goal, nice passes from KK and Brock Nelson. It was also funny when the guy from Manchester tries to break up the goal celebration.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:32 PM
InformTheMasses

I'll be at the game tonight in Albany, wont post any clips until tomorrow.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:53 PM
InformTheMasses

Faceoff in 10 min. Johan sundstrom was not announced as a scratch. Excired to see him back on the ice again.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Kabanov got hit into the boards and has not returned. No call on the play

Old
03-08-2013, 07:37 PM
InformTheMasses

Kabanov has returned, seems fine. Team looks awful. Looks like they haven't practiced all week. End of 1 bst trail 1-0

Old
03-08-2013, 08:29 PM
InformTheMasses

Much better second period. Tied at 2 going into third. Nino deflection and ness crashing the net for a putback. Nelson drew 2 penalties withim 10 seconds led to a 5 on 3 goal.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:10 PM
seabass45

@JoeYerdonPHT was at the game and apparently got booted out of the locker room after trying to talk to DP. After a win, no less!

Old
03-09-2013, 05:17 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
@JoeYerdonPHT was at the game and apparently got booted out of the locker room after trying to talk to DP. After a win, no less!
Sounds like this writer/blogger was looking to stir the pot, show how cool he is. Below is a tweet about RD.

https://twitter.com/JoeYerdonPHT
Joe Yerdon‏@JoeYerdonPHT
I witnessed Rick DiPietro win an AHL game. Take that, bucket list.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
That entire line has been money ever since they put it together. They actually make each other better players. Same can be said for the Ullstrom/Persson/Sundstrom (UPS) line.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:12 AM
InformTheMasses

Highlights from last nights game. The official scoring on the first goal is wrong (Nelson gets secondary assist NOT Landry, also announcer thinks Brock Nelson is Johan Sundstrom). I said Backmans goal was soft when I saw it in person, looks even softer on video... Wow their goalie gave the game away.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:16 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Nelson has really picked his game up... Excited to see him in an Islanders uniform. I think he is going to fir in perfectly. Just such an intelligent player with a good overall game.

Old
03-09-2013, 05:55 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

Happy for Ricky.. Hope he keeps it up and provides stability for BST the rest of the way.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Isles Enforcer

Ugh, Brock Nelson just took a cheap shot by Greg Amadio. Blood all over the ice and he's leaving the ice.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:01 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Ugh, Brock Nelson just took a cheap shot by Greg Amadio. Blood all over the ice and he's leaving the ice.
last thing i wanted to hear...I hope hes ok. Damn kid cant catch a break, he was really startng to heat up again

Old
03-12-2013, 08:06 PM
Isles Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
last thing i wanted to hear...I hope hes ok. Damn kid cant catch a break, he was really startng to heat up again
Nelson back for the second period.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:08 PM
bluechipbonzo

Garf's got a ferry ticket for Nino.

Nino showing he's ready...

Last edited by bluechipbonzo: 03-12-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old
03-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Isles Enforcer

Btw 1-1 in the second

Matt Watkins with the BPT goal. Unassisted

Old
03-12-2013, 08:12 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Nelson back for the second period.
That's good news. He's been a little banged up this year with the broken jaw and now this. He's a tough kid. When he puts on another 10-15 pounds..

Old
03-12-2013, 08:14 PM
Isles Enforcer

Nino makes it 2-1

Nino third goal in three games. 25 goals this season

Closed Thread