HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New NHL Proposal..REJECTED!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2005, 12:53 PM
TrueBlue

vCash: 500
New NHL Proposal..REJECTED!!!!

The NHL proposal included a revised salary arbitration system, a maintenance of guaranteed player contracts and a individual team payroll range between $32-million and $42-million. It would run through the 2010-2011 season, though the Players' Association would hold the unilateral right to re-open the agreement after 2008-2009.

If they do not accept this offer, the NHL has been impaled. FATALITY!

Last edited by TrueBlue: 02-02-2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old
02-02-2005, 01:06 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

NHL tables new proposal to union
Canadian Press
2/2/2005

It would appear that the talking is over, at least for today.

After meeting for less than two hours, the National Hockey League and the NHLPA have broken up talks after the league presented a new CBA proposal to the union.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...33&hubName=nhl

Old
02-02-2005, 01:12 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

NHLPA rejects latest offer

While the two sides continue to meet a source tells Sportsnet the NHL made its proposal today, one that was almost immediately rejected by the Player's Association. Details to follow.

(CP) -- The NHL's labour talks resumed Wednesday morning in the New York area with the smallest group to date and the season hanging in the balance. Despite reports stating the meeting ended after two hours, NHL sources have told Sportsnet the meeting is still ongoing.

Wednesday's session at an undisclosed location began just after 10 a.m. EDT and included only NHL executive vice-president and chief legal officer Bill Daly, league outside counsel Bob Batterman, NHL Players' Association senior director Ted Saskin and the union's outside counsel John McCambridge.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050202_115722_4956

Old
02-02-2005, 01:19 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-

Old
02-02-2005, 01:33 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
NHLPA rejects latest offer

It's just wierd. I lost all hope for this season a while ago BUT everytime they sit down to talk the hope creeps back in to me even thought I don't want it to. Then the talks are broken off & I get dissapointed. This happened so many times that it's taking its toll on me & getting me really angry. I try to so hard not to care, but just can't. This one today was supposed to be the one that started the ball rolling, I guess it don't look like that.

Old
02-02-2005, 01:39 PM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs

It's just wierd. I lost all hope for this season a while ago BUT everytime they sit down to talk the hope creeps back in to me even thought I don't want it to. Then the talks are broken off & I get dissapointed. This happened so many times that it's taking its toll on me & getting me really angry. I try to so hard not to care, but just can't. This one today was supposed to be the one that started the ball rolling, I guess it don't look like that.
You echoed the sentiments of all fans.

Old
02-02-2005, 01:57 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

For those interested the proposal has been posted

http://www.nhlcbanews.com/news/nhlproposal020205.html

Old
02-02-2005, 02:09 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Meetings have ended. PA has recommended that they meet tomorrow with Goodenow and Bettman rejoining the meetings - 640 AM

Old
02-02-2005, 02:27 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by think/blue
Meetings have ended. PA has recommended that they meet tomorrow with Goodenow and Bettman rejoining the meetings - 640 AM
NHLPA STATEMENT FOLLOWING MEETING IN NEWARK

NEWARK, NJ (February 2, 2005): At the conclusion of today's meeting in Newark, National Hockey League Players' Association (NHLPA) Senior Director Ted Saskin released the following statement:

"The League today presented a written proposal with minor variations of concepts that were presented orally by the NHL last Thursday. We told the League last week and again today that their multi-layered salary cap proposals were not the basis for an agreement.

Given the status of negotiations, the NHLPA suggested that the parties meet again tomorrow with Bob Goodenow and Gary Bettman joining the meeting."

Old
02-02-2005, 02:46 PM
MOGiLNY

Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
Yeah it seems to me that the league has been making the same offer since September whereas the players have been trying to come up with new ideas that would work for both sides. Not only that, but players were willing to take HUGE paycuts back when they offered to cut back 24% of their salaries.

Old
02-02-2005, 03:04 PM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGiLNY
Yeah it seems to me that the league has been making the same offer since September whereas the players have been trying to come up with new ideas that would work for both sides. Not only that, but players were willing to take HUGE paycuts back when they offered to cut back 24% of their salaries.

I thought Worrell was Lilja! At least he thinks he is. :lol

Old
02-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
I thought Worrell was Lilja! At least he thinks he is. :lol
Most bizarre reply ever.

Old
02-02-2005, 03:09 PM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Most bizarre reply ever.

Did you hear about Worrell being stopped for DUI? He told the cops he was Andreas Lilja. I was responding to his avatar.

Old
02-02-2005, 03:11 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Did you hear about Worrell being stopped for DUI? He told the cops he was Andreas Lilja.
Yeah I heard about that.

Quote:
I was responding to his avatar.
The one with Mats Sundin in it?

Old
02-02-2005, 03:15 PM
TrueBlue

Quote:

It's all about the 'right' deal and the NHL is willing to wait out a long time for that to happen.
Players are the losers in this whole mess.

Although I'm quite impressed with Bettman on how he has got all the backings from the owners. I've never seen support like this before so they must be really convinced on what Bettman told them about the numbers and cost certainty.

Old
02-02-2005, 03:20 PM
TrueBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Yeah I heard about that.

The one with Mats Sundin in it?

Yes the one with Mats in it, your favourite captain in the world.

Old
02-02-2005, 03:59 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Meaningless. I laughed out loud when I saw that proposal. It doesn't fix anything in the long term. If the NHL had accepted that proposal, current and future contracts would jump back to pre 24% levels. So in effect, the paycut would hurt those with long term contracts, but those without contracts or short term contracts would be little effected.

Old
02-02-2005, 04:17 PM
MOGiLNY

Send a message via MSN to MOGiLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Meaningless. I laughed out loud when I saw that proposal. It doesn't fix anything in the long term. If the NHL had accepted that proposal, current and future contracts would jump back to pre 24% levels. So in effect, the paycut would hurt those with long term contracts, but those without contracts or short term contracts would be little effected.
My point is that players have made different attempts at the CBA while the NHL just keeps offering the same rules over and over.

I do agree that that paycut offer wasn't the greatest idea, but at least the players are trying to find some common ground..

Old
02-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Sundinisagod
the tank is real

Quote:
My point is that players have made different attempts at the CBA while the NHL just keeps offering the same rules over and over.

I do agree that that paycut offer wasn't the greatest idea, but at least the players are trying to find some common ground..
The players aren't looking for a middle ground either, they want it their way that's why there is no hockey. Their proposal was nothing but a weak pr move to get fans back on their side.

Old
02-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Verbal Kint*

Ooooh, big surprise.

Old
02-02-2005, 04:54 PM
mooseOAK*

I think that the NHLPA believes that the owners don't want to cancel the season and are just pushing them to the wall one more time to see if the NHL will cave. Especially now that there is little chance for them to make a lot of regular season money and the playoffs are a big source of revenue for the teams.

Old
02-02-2005, 05:31 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 825
Quote:
It's all about the 'right' deal and the NHL is willing to wait out a long time for that to happen.
Players are the losers in this whole mess.

Although I'm quite impressed with Bettman on how he has got all the backings from the owners. I've never seen support like this before so they must be really convinced on what Bettman told them about the numbers and cost certainty.
I've seen a few owners paraded out by Bettman to regurgitate his song and dance,but i doubt anyone truly beleives all 30 owners are fully supportive of the mess Bettman has the league in.

Old
02-02-2005, 05:38 PM
TheBudsForever

They Deserve Each Other ....

Both the NHLPA and the owners deserve the misery and damage that they are inflicting upon themselves and the game. It's the story about GREED that cuts two ways. The players who wanted more and more $'s which dumb owners were willing to give.

Bettman and owners who were happy to sell franchises to soft markets with whispered promises of cost containment, all the while splitting fat franchise fees. Trying to sell the NHLPA on a platform that calls for concessions to save stuggling NHL teams in poor hockey markets is a non-starter. That's the scabby ratty looking tail trying to swing the dog.

Honestly, I hope that that the strike goes on and a few of the fringe market NHL clubs go under. In that scenario, both players and owner get penalized for their stupidity and greed. In my books, they all richly deserve that.

Bettman and the owners think they are dealing from a position of strength now but they'll be singing a different tune if the strike starts to eat into season 2. By then, even with help from the $300 million war chest, the weak clubs will be in danger of going under and the money making clubs like Toronto are going to start getting pissed off with the profits they are losing out on.

By the same token, if you're a NHL player, your're starting to get hungry and very unhappy at the thought of all the salary money you've foregone.

A $32 million cap is a crock. Do the numbers in terms of number of players on a team and what that means an average player would earn ? Tell me that a Euro player given the choice of making just a little less playing at home is going to come over here to play more games in a much more physical North American game.

A smaller amount of teams also means better hockey as the remaining NHL teams would be able to pick their players from a much bigger selection pool.

In short, a pox on the NHLPA and Bettman and the owners.

Bring on the summer!

Old
02-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
I've seen a few owners paraded out by Bettman to regurgitate his song and dance,but i doubt anyone truly beleives all 30 owners are fully supportive of the mess Bettman has the league in.
No Sh**, particularly the bringing in a 3rd party to go through and audit the books. The larger clubs with multiple interests get creative with their books and spread the revenues and expenses more so for tax purposes than anything else. With an independant, those business schemes are gone.

This latest proposal took as many steps forward as it did backwards. They've allowed mutual arbitration *BUT* the league has the right to revoke arbitration altogether by lowering the UFA age to 28. Hellllooooo, double whammy, no doubt the NHL wouldn't have a problem lowering the age. More Supply = Less Demand = Lower Salaries "AND" eliminate Arb at the same time. Anyone seriously believe this isn't a clause they'll enact?

Group 5 & 6 Free agency eliminated? I thought the league was trying to segregate the PA by showing favour towards low income players, now they're penalizing them.

But my favourite has got to be "Sure, we'll take your 24%, install a hard cap, we really don't want a luxury tax, but we'll concede and allow you one, as long as it's under the hard cap number." WOW, what a compromise. Don't allow teams to go over the cap, AND penalize teams that come even close to it.

Maximum contract terms - 3 years (grandfathering in effect).

So, where again is the negotiating part?

Oh right, they won't be treated like GM employees now, they'll form an Owner-Player Council.

What a load of Crock.

So much more venting to do, screw it I'm goin' home.

Old
02-02-2005, 08:17 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Those paycuts were offered with the NHLPA, and the players knowing they could make it all back in a few years, it was a false offer made to make the players look good in the fans eyes.

Closed Thread