HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Am I the only one not missing hockey as much as I thought I would?

Old
11-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Am I the only one not missing hockey as much as I thought I would?

Oh do not get me wrong, I love watching the Pens. And will be right back there when they are back. But it occurred to me that I had not thought much about the Pens of late at all. I do not stop into HF boards as often either. This may be my first post in a couple of months.

I just have found a lot of other stuff to fill my time and enjoy. In the end there are many competitors for your entertainment time and money.

I also never thought that the regular season was all that important. It is a good time filler, but at the end of over four score of games played you get what? A better seeding? We have seen how that is a very limited advantage over the years. An extra home playoff game? Ditto. So it is not like I was missing anything meaningful in my mind. Any more than seeing the upcoming Hobbit movie will be.

Oh I would have loved watching the games if the season had not been interrupted and going to the games, but I do not feel like I missed much as I contemplated today why it was that I had not missed it all that much.

I certainly do not miss paying the couple hundred dollars per game just on tickets, then more on everything else for each game. The Pens have already saved me a couple thousand dollars plus by canceling this many games. In the end if we end up with a couple months or so of a regular season and a playoffs, I will not feel like I missed much of anything. Now if we lose the season entirely as happened in 2005 it would be a very different story. But so far? Meh, it does not bother me overly much.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 06:46 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

I'm not missing it at all, but probably because I'm older now. I have different priorities in my life and watching a game ultimately isn't that important to me.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 06:51 PM
frankthefrowner

Just had a baby I'm plenty busy

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 07:08 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

I miss NHL games.

I'm watching KHL games via streams, and I've come to appreciate the style of play and I'll still probably watch a few games once the lockout is over. But, it's not the same.

I don't have any vested interest in any of the teams. I watch Magnitka to see Malkin, Kulyomin and Gonchar. I follow Lokomotiv because of last years tragedy. Compared to the Pens, which I've been following since the late 80's ... it makes watching the KHL games less stressful, but it's not, well, the same. Given time, I'm sure I'd develop that level of attachment, but it's just not there, and it makes a difference, I think.

I also miss being able to watch games in HD with surround sound, or to be (realistically) able to actually go to a game.

I miss the faster pace of the NHL, the physicality.

So, yeah, I'm not missing hockey, but I am missing NHL/Pens games.

DegenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 07:40 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I miss it but no shortage of other things to focus on. Ultimately it's not that important.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 07:45 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
I was doing fine with not missing it until last night. Last night I went to my first live OHL game and now my severe hockey cravings and withdrawls are back.

At least I have my Kitchener Rangers to follow/actually go see live...but it's just not the same.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

It's not the same but the fact that you get to watch Macaroni soothes all wrongs.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:50 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
It's not the same but the fact that you get to watch Macaroni soothes all wrongs.
Actually Macaroni is out injured....fractured finger.

http://www.therecord.com/sports/rang...actured-finger

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 08:49 PM
Ozz

I'm doing all right so far. However, once it gets back I'm going to go from "doing all right" to "can't wait for the next game". I get that way every off-season; I hardly think about it until it starts back up and then it's immediate fanaticism. That aside, I'm plenty busy anyway so I keep my mind occupied.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:11 PM
Til the End of Time

i almost want the lockout to continue for awhile, it gives me more free time to focus on school and such. someone mistakenly told me the lockout had ended, and my initial reaction was "eff i dont have time to watch or pay attention to the games right now, stayed locked out for a little while longer."

to me the only legit downside is that we are missing more of crosbys prime years, which may hurt his ranking on the all-time player lists. regular season games arent very important but they matter for legacies.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

My new job has me getting home at 9 every night so I'll be seeing less anyway.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:16 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

I,ll be very happy when the Pens are back, but for now, I get my sports fix elsewhere. I watch the NBA, the NFL, the Q (a little) and the MLS playoffs. I work out 4 times a week, play hockey on Mondays and badminton on Thursdays. Add school, homeworks and hanging out with friends and family to that and I don't have time to miss the NHL that much. Will sure be glad when it is back and I'll probably just watch less basketball haha.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
My new job has me getting home at 9 every night so I'll be seeing less anyway.
What industry / what time do you start?

Old
11-07-2012, 09:49 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I've had a lot of time to myself, working out, etc. I'm never pressed with anything cus a Penguin game just isn't on.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Don't let 'im fool ya folks.

Cole sits at home every night, staring at a blank TV screen with a squeaky clean hockey white-board in his lap, a set of new dry erase markers by his right side, and hockey almanac by his left. And a single acidic tear, rolling down his mug.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
What industry / what time do you start?
sales and marketing. learning to become a training manager eventually. 11:30 - 8:30 days.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2012, 11:16 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Don't let 'im fool ya folks.

Cole sits at home every night, staring at a blank TV screen with a squeaky clean hockey white-board in his lap, a set of new dry erase markers by his right side, and hockey almanac by his left. And a single acidic tear, rolling down his mug.
I just rock slowly back and forth waiting to discuss gap control.

Good news is... my webcam is up and running. Once I get a video editor that can allow me to use game footage, I can do some video stuff in the future. It's on the horizon here at HF.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:08 AM
JTG

I do because it gave me enjoyment 2 or 3 times a week. It'd be 2 or 3 hours were regardless of what I am doing, I typically take out to go have a few beers with my buddies, or take it to completely unwind at home and banter with you lovely folks.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 06:42 AM

Hockey is one thing... the NHL is another. I don't miss the NHL that much.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Shady Machine

I miss it because there really isn't much hockey to watch in Cleveland. That said, it's given me more quality time with my wife rather than her falling asleep on the couch while I watch the game haha.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I just rock slowly back and forth waiting to discuss gap control.
Haha. Mumbling to yourself as you stare... "...retrievals...focus on... retri... watch the gap control... puck contr.... controlling pucks.... important."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Good news is... my webcam is up and running. Once I get a video editor that can allow me to use game footage, I can do some video stuff in the future. It's on the horizon here at HF.
Nice. If you don't have a haircut like this:

my image of you will be forever changed and I might not be able to watch.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:50 AM
M0NTY26
Force from Ma'gorsk

Not one bit. It's largely in part due to the fact I've totally separated my life from it. I said if they aren't going to give me hockey then I'm not going to give them money. So, I've stopped listening to NHL on XM, which has literally been the only station I've listened to for the past 3-4 years. I haven't turned on NHL Network for months. I don't visit NHL.com and I even changed my homepage from the Pens to YouTube. On top of that, the only reason I used twitter was to follow players and insiders, so I don't visit twitter anymore.

Outside of NHL 13 and a rare visit to this site, I don't see much hockey related. I'm sure as more time passes I'll get over this anger stage and start missing it, but I'm to pissed to miss it.

M0NTY26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:09 AM
cassius

Not at all.

Hockey is a niche sport and it only survives because of diehard fans. This (absurd) lockout has put my interest level at an all time low.

I'm embarassed to support a league who continually makes bad decisions that negatively impact both the fans and the business. With all of the nonsense lately, it's gotten to the point where I am embarassed to call myself a fan of the NHL.

You look at the MLB, NFL, and NBA - all are legitimate leagues that are run well. Not so much with the NHL... they are totally 100% incompetent.

At this point, I wouldn't mind seeing the NHL back on a low-rent TV Network "Outdoor Life Network" because that is where they belong.

It's a lot better saving a bunch of $ and having more free-time. I really couldn't care less whether there is a season or not at this point.

Last edited by cassius: 11-08-2012 at 11:18 AM.
cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:19 AM

Has anyone else been watching Russia vs the Q on NHL Network? Its been awesome and Zlobins been looking pretty good. Also its getting to WJC time of year.... screw the NHL.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 12:29 PM
MonsterSurge

I enjoy watching my minor league/junior games and attending minor league/junior games. Games on TV don't stop me from attending live games.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote