HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Autumn Thunder: No Ben and No Hockey Make Pittsburgh Something Something

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 07:34 PM
End of Line
Human After All

vCash: 500
Gotta give massive props to the offensive line. Adams went up against a top 5 pass rusher and held his own other than 2 plays where he didn't. When DeCastro is healthy, this line is going to be great.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
11-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Haha.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/P...-Giants-110412

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Steelers tried to beat themselves before they beat the New York Giants.

Overcoming unusual sloppiness, the Steelers dominated the second half for a 24-20 victory Sunday as Isaac Redman rushed for 147 yards and the winning touchdown from 1 yard with 4:02 to go.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:40 PM
JTG

I wouldn't be opposed at all in keeping Adams on the right side when Gilbert is healthy, nor would I be opposed to drafted another tackle this draft and using Gilbert as a swing man.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
I don't understand, are you choosing where you move to based on if their football fans accept fans of other fans as neighbors?
Well obviously not since Idaho is an area I am considering and there is nothing pro-wise there. It's more of an issue of whether or not I'll get harassment if I wear a Giants hat or not. It was more tongue in cheek than serious as financial reasons are why I am getting the hell out of this state. I visited Pittsburgh back in April and went to a Pirates game and just loved the whole experience despite it consisting of a long drive getting to there, seeing the game on a cold dreary day and pirates losing and then spending the rest of the day holed up at the motel before hitting the road early the next morning to head back. There was a lot more I wanted to see and experience but I was incredibly impressed by the friendliness of the people at PNC park and it made me want to be a part of the Pittsburgh area.

Another thing I noticed is that normally I HATE driving in a city. I get incredibly flustered and often I task my wife with having to do that as she's from NYC and is used to it. Driving through Pittsburgh was not stressful at all. Granted my experience just consisted of going to the ballpark and out but whenever you want to do something in the NYC area you basically always take the train/rail because being in a car is a nightmare people do everything to avoid. Lots of great things about Pittsburgh, some might just not know how good they have it living there.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Well obviously not since Idaho is an area I am considering and there is nothing pro-wise there. It's more of an issue of whether or not I'll get harassment if I wear a Giants hat or not. It was more tongue in cheek than serious as financial reasons are why I am getting the hell out of this state. I visited Pittsburgh back in April and went to a Pirates game and just loved the whole experience despite it consisting of a long drive getting to there, seeing the game on a cold dreary day and pirates losing and then spending the rest of the day holed up at the motel before hitting the road early the next morning to head back. There was a lot more I wanted to see and experience but I was incredibly impressed by the friendliness of the people at PNC park and it made me want to be a part of the Pittsburgh area.

Another thing I noticed is that normally I HATE driving in a city. I get incredibly flustered and often I task my wife with having to do that as she's from NYC and is used to it. Driving through Pittsburgh was not stressful at all. Granted my experience just consisted of going to the ballpark and out but whenever you want to do something in the NYC area you basically always take the train/rail because being in a car is a nightmare people do everything to avoid. Lots of great things about Pittsburgh, some might just not know how good they have it living there.
Gear and car decals are good to go, but don't fret when your Flag gets folded up nicely and put on your porch chair. Be a fan, but don't be a nuisance in a hard core (any team here) country. Hang it on your game-room wall.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:57 PM
JTG

Well, if you're worried about money, Pittsburgh is a pretty damn good place to move to.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Gear and car decals are good to go, but don't fret when your Flag gets folded up nicely and put on your porch chair. Be a fan, but don't be a nuisance in a hard core (any team here) country. Hang it on your game-room wall.
Only decal on my car is a Penguins one. Only Giants stuff I own is a JPP jersey and a Giants hat and my son has a little Manning jersey. I usually don't go head first into the sports gear. I am not like Carl from Aqua teen Hunger Force.

My son is decked out in penguins gear when he plays hockey. I don't get any grief about it here but it's mostly because nobody cares. CT doesnt have a team, half the state is split between NY teams and BOS teams. It would be almost weird living in a place where they care about their teams. I'd love to be able to get my son involved in that community and into the local youth hockey scene. We'll see how things unfold but Pittsburgh is tied for 2nd on the shortlist.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:03 PM
End of Line
Human After All

With the game being on MNF next week, that'll be 8 out of the 9 games I've been able to watch on TV. From the looks of it, with the schedule going forward I'll be able to watch all the games this season on TV minus 3. Best it's been in a long, long time.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
So I missed almost all of the game.

How much of Redman's game was him, how much was it the O-line, and how much of it was ineptness on the Giants' behalf. I know they had an undrafted cancer patient starting at MLB so that probably couldn't have helped things.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
11-04-2012, 08:07 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post

How much of Redman's game was him, how much was it the O-line, and how much of it was ineptness on the Giants' behalf. I know they had an undrafted cancer patient starting at MLB so that probably couldn't have helped things.
Redman was consistently getting yards after contact IIRC, but the line looked good.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:08 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
With the game being on MNF next week, that'll be 8 out of the 9 games I've been able to watch on TV. From the looks of it, with the schedule going forward I'll be able to watch all the games this season on TV minus 3. Best it's been in a long, long time.
week 12 is the first time a Steelers game wont be on here in WNY

Old
11-04-2012, 08:11 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I wouldn't be opposed at all in keeping Adams on the right side when Gilbert is healthy, nor would I be opposed to drafted another tackle this draft and using Gilbert as a swing man.
Adams have been a pleasant surprise for us. I thought he needed a year before he gets full time starter. Let's hope he stays out of trouble.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Redman was consistently getting yards after contact IIRC, but the line looked good.
Always nice when what is effectively your third string running back (at this point) can almost outgain the opposition on his own.

Less good when one corner almost hits triple-digits in penalty yards...but I saw the first one and that's the kind of play that makes me hate the spot of the foul rule.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:13 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Well, if you're worried about money, Pittsburgh is a pretty damn good place to move to.
Yeah, money is the biggest concern and the initial motivator to us coming to the conclusion that we simply just cant afford to live in the Northeast anymore. Theres a very bad combination of little to no jobs and rising expenses. Just comparing to places I looked in Idaho we could get a cheaper but much bigger house and go from spending 6600 a year in property taxes to 1400. You add up that difference over a 30 year mortgage and you've saved some serious money. Not to mention all of the other reductions in expenses. Cheaper utilities, no car tax, cheaper gas, cheaper food, you name it.

The big thing though is it's so damn expensive to move. Just getting a PODS or two will be about 4 grand. We would be renting out our house because like most people in this area we're currently underwater on our mortgage. So that means we gotta spend some to get this place in rental condition, that means repairing a central air unit that I tolerated it's issues but a tenant wont, thats a few thousand alone. It's going to suck but we need to bite the bullet and will be much better off in the long run for doing it.

I've mainly used sights like trulia and message boards like city-data to get a feel on the areas. Seems like the more cost effective areas of Pittsburgh are the towns to the northwest of the city like Beaver. Are those places dumps? Seems like the taxes drop sharply when you get out of Allegheny (spelling?). My ideal situation would be to have about an acre of land, a 3brm or greater house and about a 20-30 min drive to a place like PNC park. I am looking around anywhere from 150-250k. For me to get a place like that in CT around my area it would cost about 450k and have about a 8-10k yearly property tax to go with it.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:14 PM
sniugneP

Quote:

Combination of all 3.

Really like what Haley did for offense so far.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:16 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Always nice when what is effectively your third string running back (at this point) can almost outgain the opposition on his own.

Less good when one corner almost hits triple-digits in penalty yards...but I saw the first one and that's the kind of play that makes me hate the spot of the foul rule.
His first pass interference was bad call, his second PI was definitely on him. Overall, Lewis played a very solid game. He has gotten better in every game

Old
11-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:

There's a type of person called "yinzer" here. They will hate you for not being a die hard fan and not willing to re-mortgage your house just to buy season tickets. Normal people won't care about your sports allegiance.

Driving through the city, especially through any of the tunnels, during rush hour sucks more than anything, and is (IMO) the worst thing about Pittsburgh.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:38 PM
crane

This is the only win for the Steelers that I am happy about. The other wins were against inferior teams, and I wasn't even impressed at all in those games. The Giants are a great team. I could see them in the Superbowl again.

I'd love to see a Giants vs Steelers Superbowl, but I doubt that the Steelers are good enough this year.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Black Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane View Post
This is the only win for the Steelers that I am happy about. The other wins were against inferior teams, and I wasn't even impressed at all in those games. The Giants are a great team. I could see them in the Superbowl again.

I'd love to see a Giants vs Steelers Superbowl, but I doubt that the Steelers are good enough this year.
The way that the AFC is turning out I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the top 5-6 teams in the Super Bowl.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Impressed with how much adversity they overcame today.

Offense was clutch and defense finally got some big stops at the end of a game.

The WR and RB depth is really paying off.

Ramon Foster has eased the loss of DeCastro a bit. He's turning into a very solid NFL guard.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:42 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Old
11-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

vCash: 977
Quote:

Old
11-04-2012, 10:37 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I think we need to repost those tweets from Mikey P about how bad those calls were all week long. What a joke. I'm so pumped they pulled it out. That was resilient. Something they haven't showed for awhile.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Iggy Smalls

Quote:
"Does this count as a blow to head, too?"

Old
11-04-2012, 11:07 PM
H382

vCash: 564
Quote:
Yeah, money is the biggest concern and the initial motivator to us coming to the conclusion that we simply just cant afford to live in the Northeast anymore. Theres a very bad combination of little to no jobs and rising expenses. Just comparing to places I looked in Idaho we could get a cheaper but much bigger house and go from spending 6600 a year in property taxes to 1400. You add up that difference over a 30 year mortgage and you've saved some serious money. Not to mention all of the other reductions in expenses. Cheaper utilities, no car tax, cheaper gas, cheaper food, you name it.

The big thing though is it's so damn expensive to move. Just getting a PODS or two will be about 4 grand. We would be renting out our house because like most people in this area we're currently underwater on our mortgage. So that means we gotta spend some to get this place in rental condition, that means repairing a central air unit that I tolerated it's issues but a tenant wont, thats a few thousand alone. It's going to suck but we need to bite the bullet and will be much better off in the long run for doing it.

I've mainly used sights like trulia and message boards like city-data to get a feel on the areas. Seems like the more cost effective areas of Pittsburgh are the towns to the northwest of the city like Beaver. Are those places dumps? Seems like the taxes drop sharply when you get out of Allegheny (spelling?). My ideal situation would be to have about an acre of land, a 3brm or greater house and about a 20-30 min drive to a place like PNC park. I am looking around anywhere from 150-250k. For me to get a place like that in CT around my area it would cost about 450k and have about a 8-10k yearly property tax to go with it.
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in about northwest areas of Pittsburgh. I grew up in Beaver, have lived in many different areas of Pittsburgh and even in Charlotte NC for a few years. Beaver is a fantastic town with a thriving Main Street that is pleasant to walk through. I don't recall there being any boarded up businesses and it reminds me of some of the newer towns down south that are new, clean and very safe. Beaver is one of the best "towns" I've been to, and I've traveled all over the country. Brighton Twp and Beaver make up the Beaver School district. Beaver is mostly a small town setting and Brighton Twp is more of a country feel to it. I live in Brighton Twp now and I love it. It's a great school district with plenty of community activities for all ages. If you have more questions about the area let me know. I would be glad to help.

Closed Thread