HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Autumn Thunder: No Ben and No Hockey Make Pittsburgh Something Something

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-09-2012, 09:52 PM
  #401
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward
 
MrBurgundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 17,245
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Yea redman is nothing special. Mendenhall is insanely skilled, and if this line stays run blocking how it is, you'll see a ton of production out of him.

He's also the only homerun hitter out of the backfield other than rainey. Redman and dwyer are too slow. I'd re-sign Mendy short term and let redman walk this offseason. Mendy, dwyer, rainey is more than good enough.
The only problem is that most of our yards are coming after first contact, and Mendenhall isn't the kind of back that can break tons of tackles.

MrBurgundy is online now  
Old
11-10-2012, 12:40 PM
  #402
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: bay area
Country: United States
Posts: 2,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
Yea redman is nothing special. Mendenhall is insanely skilled, and if this line stays run blocking how it is, you'll see a ton of production out of him.

He's also the only homerun hitter out of the backfield other than rainey. Redman and dwyer are too slow. I'd re-sign Mendy short term and let redman walk this offseason. Mendy, dwyer, rainey is more than good enough.
100% disagree with this. Why would you pay Mendenhall 4x the money when you can have a guy who can split time with Dwyer and wear the defense out by running it right down their throats? The thing I first loved about Redman coming out of his first training camp and preseason was that he wasn't a guy who would wiggle around in the backfield for 2 seconds before either being tackled for a loss or falling down after 3 yards. Redman is a guy with heart, a guy who may get tackled after 3 yards but he dives for 3 more. A Dywer-Redman duo would wear the defense out, they are both big backs and will be at full energy all the time if they alternate snaps. Then you have Rainey, who has Willie Parker potential as a 3rd string back.

Just a quick note about Mendenhall:

In 3 seasons, Mendenhall has had only 5 100+ yard games: at Buffalo, at Tampa, at Atlanta, vs. Jacksonville, and vs. St. Louis. All those teams are pretty awful save for Atlanta. When it comes to the "eye test" I would say that Mendenhall has really only impressed me a couple of times, none last season and only against Atlanta the season before. I know people want to keep Mendy around because he has so much talent, but he's been the starter for 5 seasons and been completely underwhelming. The Steelers have no reason to resign him unless he takes a huge paycut, and I doubt that will happen as teams who need a RB will be throwing big bucks at him

TL;DR: Redman > Mendenhall at 1/4 the price

BigBenSF* is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 04:07 PM
  #403
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
I absolutely love to watch Johnny Manziel plays. Texas A&M leads Alabama, 14-0.

sniugneP is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 04:20 PM
  #404
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
I absolutely love to watch Johnny Manziel plays. Texas A&M leads Alabama, 14-0.
seconded. what a kid.

Crafton is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 04:25 PM
  #405
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Wow! They scored 3 TDs on first 3 drives against Alabama defense.

Play calling is unbelievable. Alabama is confusing.

sniugneP is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 05:03 PM
  #406
HuskerTornado
Monster Snow Goon
 
HuskerTornado's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 12,536
vCash: 500
...why isn't it hockey season yet?

HuskerTornado is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 05:11 PM
  #407
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Wow! They scored 3 TDs on first 3 drives against Alabama defense.

Play calling is unbelievable. Alabama is confusing.
20-14 TAMU at the half. great game so far. hoping the second half holds up.


Last edited by Crafton: 11-10-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Crafton is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 05:48 PM
  #408
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerTornado View Post
...why isn't it hockey season yet?

Crafton is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 06:49 PM
  #409
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Great TD pass by Johnny! TAMU leading 29-17 in 4th.

sniugneP is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 07:17 PM
  #410
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
TAMU just beat Alabama!

I think Alabama will drop to #3, behind KSU and Oregon if they both win tonite. No way Notre Dame get ahead of Alabama.

sniugneP is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 07:18 PM
  #411
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Manziel should be #2 in Heisman race, IMO.

sniugneP is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 07:52 PM
  #412
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 55,472
vCash: 500
Lock Haven won a game for the first time since 2007 today.

Damn.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 09:02 PM
  #413
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,559
vCash: 500
i can definitely live with a K-State-Oregon final.

Crafton is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 09:04 PM
  #414
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
i can definitely live with a K-State-Oregon final.
Yeah, that's what I'm shooting for. Don't want to see a SEC team in final.

sniugneP is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 09:11 PM
  #415
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm shooting for. Don't want to see a SEC team in final.
But I'd rather see an SEC team than Notre Dame. I'm really afraid that Oregon will lose to OSU or in the PAC 12 championship and we'll see ND in the title game against K-State

AgentM is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 09:31 PM
  #416
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
I think USC will beat ND.

sniugneP is offline  
Old
11-10-2012, 09:48 PM
  #417
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!
 
BUCKSHOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 17,678
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
100% disagree with this. Why would you pay Mendenhall 4x the money when you can have a guy who can split time with Dwyer and wear the defense out by running it right down their throats? The thing I first loved about Redman coming out of his first training camp and preseason was that he wasn't a guy who would wiggle around in the backfield for 2 seconds before either being tackled for a loss or falling down after 3 yards. Redman is a guy with heart, a guy who may get tackled after 3 yards but he dives for 3 more. A Dywer-Redman duo would wear the defense out, they are both big backs and will be at full energy all the time if they alternate snaps. Then you have Rainey, who has Willie Parker potential as a 3rd string back.

Just a quick note about Mendenhall:

In 3 seasons, Mendenhall has had only 5 100+ yard games: at Buffalo, at Tampa, at Atlanta, vs. Jacksonville, and vs. St. Louis. All those teams are pretty awful save for Atlanta. When it comes to the "eye test" I would say that Mendenhall has really only impressed me a couple of times, none last season and only against Atlanta the season before. I know people want to keep Mendy around because he has so much talent, but he's been the starter for 5 seasons and been completely underwhelming. The Steelers have no reason to resign him unless he takes a huge paycut, and I doubt that will happen as teams who need a RB will be throwing big bucks at him

TL;DR: Redman > Mendenhall at 1/4 the price
this. Spot on

__________________






BUCKSHOT is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 12:21 AM
  #418
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Manziel should be #2 in Heisman race, IMO.
1. Collin Klein
2. Braxton Miller
3. Johnny Manziel
4. Kenjon Barner
5. Marqis Lee

Watching Manziel, he is one of the most reckless players I have ever seen mainly when he runs the ball. He is going to get lit up bad someday.

__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 03:37 AM
  #419
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,774
vCash: 500
Still think Alabama is the best team but SEC is murderers row. Has to suck having to deal with TAMU, Kevin Sumlin's ridiculous offense and their beast young QB just a week after surviving a dog fight with LSU. Such is life in the SEC though.

Last thing I want is Notre Dame in the final. They don't pass the eye test for me. Alabama, Oregon, K-State etc. would all blow the doors off Pitt and some other teams that Notre Dame squeaked by.

Agree with letting Mendy walk in UFA unless he can be re-signed at a bargain rate. Dwyer and Redman can easily handle the RB duties.

Captain Hook is online now  
Old
11-11-2012, 10:17 AM
  #420
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 55,472
vCash: 500
As long as it's not Notre Dame in the Championship I don't care. At least I don't have to worry about the ****eyes this year.

As much as I don't care about either school I have to admit that a Kansas State-Oregon match-up does excite me a little. I really wish I could root for Oregon...I just can't root for anyone who wears the crap that they do.


As for the running backs...I'm pretty much in-line with the consensus thought here. I'd love to bring Mendenhall back on a short-term, limited money deal but I doubt that's possible so I'd prefer Redman.

I can see a situation where Mendenhall would agree to a short-term, limited money deal though. He needs to prove he can stay healthy before anyone is going to throw a lot of money at him and contracts aren't guaranteed in this league - so someone being willing to throw a 4th year at him doesn't really do anything if he can't stay healthy...but a 4 year deal would certainly come with a higher amount of guaranteed money.

Redman should be retainable for cheap...but who knows. I can see a situation where we have the same backfield next year as we do this year, but I fully expect Mendenhall to be gone elsewhere to be a 1a-type running back.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 11:45 AM
  #421
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
1. Collin Klein
2. Braxton Miller
3. Johnny Manziel
4. Kenjon Barner
5. Marqis Lee

Watching Manziel, he is one of the most reckless players I have ever seen mainly when he runs the ball. He is going to get lit up bad someday.
I give a nod to Manziel over Miller since he just beat a best defense in nation and the fact he plays in best conference.

Agreed with reckless part but I think fearless is a word to best describe him. You have to take some chances to beat a best team.


Last edited by sniugneP: 11-11-2012 at 11:52 AM.
sniugneP is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 12:30 PM
  #422
End of Line
Moderator
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 19,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
I give a nod to Manziel over Miller since he just beat a best defense in nation and the fact he plays in best conference.

Agreed with reckless part but I think fearless is a word to best describe him. You have to take some chances to beat a best team.
The SEC isn't that great this year.

End of Line is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 12:35 PM
  #423
Mr. T
Registered User
 
Mr. T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,911
vCash: 500
Anyone but Notre Dame.

Mr. T is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 12:38 PM
  #424
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson
 
Crafton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,559
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
The SEC isn't that great this year.
most leagues seem to be down this year when compared to years past.

Crafton is offline  
Old
11-11-2012, 12:41 PM
  #425
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
The SEC isn't that great this year.
Yep, but still a best conference anyway. Big Ten is having a down year.

sniugneP is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.