HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Autumn Thunder: No Ben and No Hockey Make Pittsburgh Something Something

Closed Thread

Old
11-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Sivek

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I'm sorry, but a play that should have been caught for a touchdown was not the worst playcall of the day.
It was a bad call in the sense that it was a low percentage play. You have a clearly hurt QB, a WR with questionable receiving skills and a one route pass progression. It was fade to Wallace or nothing.

Even though the play should have been a TD if Wallace keeps his feet in, I think the process of coming to the decision to throw a fade with a hurt qb to a guy who can only run fast is a very questionable decision.

On the other hand, Dwyer was running strong all game and I'm pretty sure he could of picked up 2 yards on 2 carries.

Old
11-18-2012, 10:56 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I think we dropped the ball at a chance to win a HUGE game. We made some mental errors. We also wasted our best defensive game of the year.

But.... did anyone really expect us to win?

Old
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Also, I think it's quite clear who the #1 RB is from here on out.
I'd bet anything Mendenhall is still the starter come next game, though he'll end up roughly splitting reps with Dwyer.

Old
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Also, I think it's quite clear who the #1 RB is from here on out.
You would think so, but how many touches did Mendenhall get in the fourth?

Old
11-18-2012, 11:00 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
I'd bet anything Mendenhall is still the starter come next game, though he'll end up roughly splitting reps with Dwyer.
Despite getting the same amount of snaps, Dwyer had 1 more, he out gained Mendy by 22 yards. I really hope Mendy is gone after the season.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
11-18-2012, 11:03 PM
sniugneP

Agreed. Dwyer should get a lot of carries instead of sharing with other RBs. If Mendy is gone after season, we won't have speed at RB position except Rainey.

Last edited by sniugneP: 11-19-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old
11-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Despite getting the same amount snaps, Dwyer had 1 more, he out gained Mendy by 22 yards. I really hope Mendy is gone after the season.
I can't any see any scenario that would have him coming back. Being a RB, he's got to try to cash in asap. He'll try to hook up with some scrub team on a 1-yr deal and try to have a huge year and then get paid.

He'd be splitting carries next year if he came back and will never have a chance to cash in big if he stays.

Old
11-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
The Steelers will have more interest in bringing Mendenhall back than he will have in returning...and it's all about money.

Mendenhall has to go for the payday. He's an oft-injured running back, his next contract may well/probably will be his last one. He'll get more money to be a 1A back elsewhere than he could here.

Dwyer should and will be the #1 guy going into next season. I expect Redman will be brought back to be the #2.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
11-19-2012, 01:22 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Apparently Tomlin was quoted as saying Leftwich's performance was "great."

...yeah

Old
11-19-2012, 01:36 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post

...yeah
He probably shouldnt have used the word great, but he isnt going to throw anyone under the bus. Thats not his style.
frustrating game. Handed the ratbirds 10 points in the first quarter. I didnt expect the Steelers to win. Just a frustrating loss.
Leftwich probably gets another start tho. Only losing by 3 to Baltimore likely gives him another shot.
As far as Batch goes he probably would fit better under Haleys dink and dunk system. But can you trust him not to break as soon as he gets hit?
I hate Mendenhall. Guy is dumber then a doorknob.

Old
11-19-2012, 03:30 AM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Quote:

...yeah
Eh I'm not as pissed as I am at Lefty as I am in Tomlin and his continued awful coaching. Leftwich did all he could, probably has broken ribs or something. He gets a chance to start for the 1st time in 3 years, of course he's not going to want to come out. Its Tomlin's job to take him out and go with Batch. You know, the qb who isn't wincing in pain after every ******* throw.

In other news, Dorian Johnson committs to Pitt!!

And MACK Leftwich is the man.

Old
11-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Leftwich played well for a backup guy. I don't think you could have realistically expected a ton more from your backup. The interception was big but didn't bother me. I thought the Ravens had a great scheme on that play. The announcers mentioned how the DB usually stays further underneath in that coverage but on that play he dropped much deeper and undercut the route of the WR. That wrinkle fooled Lefty but probably could have fooled Ben and a lot of other QB's too.

The WR's really let the O down with the drops. Dwyer ran well though.

I thought the D played great. They deserved a win. They really only gave up 3 points if you think about it.

I think they lost the game on the punt return TD. You can't afford to give away 10 points (PR TD and Wallace's fumble that led to a chip shot FG) when you don't have Ben and you're playing a good team like the Ravens. Steelers made two big errors in a game that they had no margin for error if they wanted to win.

Disagree about the coaching. I thought the team played as well as it could under the circumstances (decimated with injuries). They could have felt sorry for themselves and mailed this one in. The excuse was there but they fought like hell and just came up short.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:22 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Keenan Lewis played solid last night as well. Seems to settling into the #2 CB spot quite well.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:36 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Keenan Lewis played solid last night as well. Seems to settling into the #2 CB spot quite well.
If he can start turning around for the ball, he will be great. He was terrible up until this season. He's finally coming into his own.

Also, has the defensive scheme changed a little? I feel our defense is finally making plays. Especially the secondary, which was torched all year long. If Harrison can start coming around, we'd be very good once fully healthy. And I know James got a sack last night, but he almost gives ZERO pressure throughout the game. At least in the past he'd be right at the QB every pass.

Any football gurus noticing what our secondary is doing differently?

Old
11-19-2012, 10:39 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

I thought Heyward played a lot better than Hood has all year. I think it's stupid how it took for Hood to get injured till he saw more snaps with how bad Hood has looked at times.

Old
11-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Being a Pats fan and not a fan of either team, I love watching the Steelers and Ravens go head to head, great rivalry

Old
11-19-2012, 11:03 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
I thought Heyward played a lot better than Hood has all year. I think it's stupid how it took for Hood to get injured till he saw more snaps with how bad Hood has looked at times.
I thought I was the only one to notice. He was getting pressure on almost every time Flacco dropped back and he tackles down field as well, something Hood sucks at. Unlike last week, where the Chiefs were blowing Hood off the line every play, the Rat Birds weren't able to do that with Heyward in there.

Old
11-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Penguins23
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Yeah there was a point in the first half where I think he had the tackle on 4 out of 5 consecutive plays.

11-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
the Big East should just disband as a football conference and focus on basketball.

it's down to:
Cincinnati
Connecticut
Louisville
Temple
USF

and any one of those can be poached by the ACC to make up for Maryland.

forgot that Boise State and SDSU are joining. WTF.

Old
11-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Can't stand all these teams changing conferences in CFB. It's hard to keep up with who's playing in what conference at this point.

I agree about Keenan Lewis too. He's been playing well for over a month now. Steelers made a very smart coaching move putting him on Boldin and Jones and letting the faster Ike Taylor handle Smith. That helped Lewis quite a bit.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:06 PM
sniugneP

With Maryland leaving, which college will join ACC? I'm betting UConn or Louisville.

Old
11-19-2012, 01:15 PM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
Eh I'm not as pissed as I am at Lefty as I am in Tomlin and his continued awful coaching. Leftwich did all he could, probably has broken ribs or something. He gets a chance to start for the 1st time in 3 years, of course he's not going to want to come out. Its Tomlin's job to take him out and go with Batch. You know, the qb who isn't wincing in pain after every ******* throw.

In other news, Dorian Johnson committs to Pitt!!

And MACK Leftwich is the man.
Yeah, the coaching was the big let down in this game. You can't expect Leftwich to pull himself unless the ribs are broken and tearing him up. Tomlin ultimately needs to step in and bring Batch in. Kick/Punt coverage has been bad all year and that was the biggest factor in the loss. The next biggest factor was offensive play calls and personal calls. Down by 3 with over 15 minutes to go and Mendenhall and the longer passing game take over. The last one was Wallace. He either holds on to the ball or catches that touchdown and Steelers win. He does both and probably a double digit win for them.

The absolute worst part is: Ravens made one play all night and the Steelers let them win off of it. Ravens' offense and defense played like ****. Flaco once again had a completely under whelming under pressure performance and Rice was a non factor. Their defense was average at best. They don't get one or both of those turnovers and it is a poor performance. Wallace gave up a really bad fumble and they got the pick off an under thrown ball imo. It very well could have been coverage too, but the ball came up short like a lot of others.

Old
11-19-2012, 04:56 PM
BigBenSF*
Worst Behavior

vCash: 1441
@AdamSchefter: Filed to ESPN: Free-agent WR Plaxico Burress is expected to go to Pittsburgh to meet with and take a physical for the Steelers. Need WR help

Old
11-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Sivek

If Palko is signed to serve as an extra qb these next few weeks, I'm going lose my ****.

Last edited by Sivek: 11-19-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old
11-19-2012, 05:19 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I for one would love plax back. Our red zone threats would be spread out between him, heath and Wallace.

With no brown or cotchery its a good move.

Closed Thread