HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Told The Barons That DST Started In The 3rd Period? OKC Vs. San Antonio 3:30PM

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2012, 07:21 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

vCash: 500
Watching Oilers Barons playing "conservative" is like watching OV saving it for the playoffs when you know you are just lying to yourself. At this point I am very concerned.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:28 PM
#ualberta

Well there goes schultz streak
How can this team get shut out so much fire power and no scoring
And i dont even want to know what happened yesterday

Old
11-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Anyway... Danis wasn't really to blame for the Barons' loss yesterday but I really want Nelson to go with Roy as the starter.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:33 PM
Baronsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
In terms of the young guys like Hall/Eberle/RNH/Schultz (which is what most of the folks seem to be spazzing out about) they have been utterly dominant on so many occasions and are producing regularly.

They have the odd game where they don't score 5 points between them - big deal.
They've both been pointless in half of the games played. So i would say its moreso they have the odd games they do get 5 points between the two than otherwise.

They have dominant games, but they aren't doing so consistently. But they also have games they don't produce as much. When they score, they do it in bunches and it really makes their stats look inflated. They've been fine, but they have not been dominant throughout many of the 10 games.

Schultz won't keep this pace up, imo. He will slow down eventually, and majority of his points come from the PP.

Anyone concerned with Pitlick/Lander? Neither has produced much of anything offensively. The way Pitlick finished last season I was hopeful of a quicker start out of him.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
Not trolling at all. It's been fun watching these guys be so good even when clearly they could be even better and are not getting the results they should be.

They are and will be just fine. Can't wait for the season to start.
Agreed.

I'm not sure what the panic is about, but it's interesting to see.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Third game in three nights.
OKC is "the team" to beat in the AHL.
NHLPA news looming in the back of their minds.

I'm not all that surprised, don't like seeing them shutout but its not like they didn't generate any chances.

Old
11-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Well, look at it this way, Torres and Stoll didn't exactly light it up on the Edmonton Roadrunners in 04/05 and that team was painfully mediocre. When they returned to the Oilers they put up career years.

Who knows...

Old
11-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Watching Oilers Barons playing "conservative" is like watching OV saving it for the playoffs when you know you are just lying to yourself. At this point I am very concerned.
If they are conservative at all I would suspect it is in reaction to them in recent games giving up breakaway after breakaway and partial breaks etc... game after game because they were all in and getting caught up ice all the time. I think it was last weekend that Roy had 4 clear cut breakaways on him in one game.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Not really suprised by the inconsistent results so far.

Much like the Oilers, too many young, inconsistent and mistake prone players in critical roles. NHL or AHL, it's a team game and they weren't going to go out there an outskill everyone on talent alone despite all the hype.

The big 4 look fine(ebs/nuge/hall/shultz), but outside a couple of exceptions the secondary players on the baron's roster have been extremely underwhelming. It's a concern for the future since the Oilers really need some of these guys to turn out as good NHL support players to compliment the frontline talent, and it's not looking good so far.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

How has Hartikainen looked the last few games? (haven't been able to watch the games)

Old
11-04-2012, 08:07 PM
senorchang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Well, look at it this way, Torres and Stoll didn't exactly light it up on the Edmonton Roadrunners in 04/05 and that team was painfully mediocre. When they returned to the Oilers they put up career years.

Who knows...
thank you.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:08 PM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Agreed.

I'm not sure what the panic is about, but it's interesting to see.
Agreed, there are a lot of new faces on the team this year, and it takes time to get chemistry, Hall will be fine after a few more games (although it looks really strange seeing him wearing #22, i know its just a number, but still it throws me off when i'm trying to pick him out on the ice)....anyways, there has been a lot of different line combos and D combos (remember, Davidson is gone for who knows how long, and Fedun also hasnt played in a year)...tough to get chemistry if your not playing with the same players all the time IMO.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
How has Hartikainen looked the last few games? (haven't been able to watch the games)
Despite being held off the score sheet I thought it was Hartikainen's best game. He looked better, more engaged and involved, playing with Arcobello and MPS.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
it almost feels like the team looks to rnh eberle hall and schultz to do all of the scoring and they can just coast.
Yeah, they have to end this effen labour dispute soon. It bad for the other players development to rely on the offence from the temporarily talent on the team.

Old
11-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Despite being held off the score sheet I thought it was Hartikainen's best game. He looked better, more engaged and involved, playing with Arcobello and MPS.
That's good to hear. I've always liked his work ethic and physicality. I think he would make a decent nhler one day

Old
11-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

I was much more concerned about giving up a 3 goal lead in the last two games. This is the 3rd game in 3 nights and in two different cities. I didn't even bother watching this one.

Oh well, maybe playing these crap schedules will make the PA appreciate the NHL a bit more...

Old
11-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Just like the Oilers, this club has no grit. Zero. You can have all the skill in the world but it's worthless if you're not willing to go into the corners and assert your will on the other team.
This is basically all I take out of a game like this. I could care less about the result. Hartikainen appears to be the ONLY player in the ENTIRE organization who can consistently lay the body and be physical, go to the corners to win battles etc. I wouldn't even consider Pitlick in this category, at least not yet. And Lord knows if he can even become an NHL player to start. Harti is the only guy who at this moment look to me like he could be a good player in the NHL in the not so distant future. A guy who can be physical, win battles along the boards and play hard nose hockey.

It's actually sickening how soft the organization is player personnel wise from the top down. They need size, they need grit in the worst way. Something has to change. Skill wise they are fine but oh boy are there ever problems with their depth and the rest of their forward core outside of Hall, RNH and Ebs. They have virtually nobody in the pipeline or on the big club who is large, nasty, be consistently physical and who can actually play hockey on top of all that either. Moroz doesn't count , it's too early to say about him.

Even as a bottom 6er, it's evident IMO that Paajarvi has almost no shot of being a consistent player for the Oilers. He brings nothing. He's fast but that's about it. Hockey sense is weak. Finish is weak. Soft. He could be a good defensive player but again the Oilers lack guys who can bang bodies and be nasty. Unless MPS can actually become an elite defensive forward I don't see the point of keeping him around for the future. Perhaps he could be converted to centre or defense.

Last edited by Philly85: 11-04-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old
11-04-2012, 09:25 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
This is basically all I take out of a game like this. I could care less about the result. Hartikainen appears to be the ONLY player in the ENTIRE organization who can consistently lay the body and be physical, go to the corners to win battles etc. I wouldn't even consider Pitlick in this category, at least not yet. And Lord knows if he can even become an NHL player to start. Harti is the only guy who at this moment look to me like he could be a good player in the NHL in the not so distant future. A guy who can be physical, win battles along the boards and play hard nose hockey.

It's actually sickening how soft the organization is player personnel wise from the top down. They need size, they need grit in the worst way. Something has to change. Skill wise they are fine but oh boy are there ever problems with their depth and the rest of their forward core outside of Hall, RNH and Ebs. They have virtually nobody in the pipeline or on the big club who is big, nasty, who can play hard and be consistently physical, who can actually play hockey either. Moroz doesn't count either, it's too early to say.
Teubert has been playing physical. And Im not sure why Moroz wouldnt count. Or Ewanyk for that matter or even Musil.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:30 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:

It's actually sickening how soft the organization is player personnel wise from the top down. They need size, they need grit in the worst way. Something has to change. Skill wise they are fine but oh boy are there ever problems with their depth and the rest of their forward core outside of Hall, RNH and Ebs. They have virtually nobody in the pipeline or on the big club who is large, nasty, be consistently physical and who can actually play hockey on top of all that either. Moroz doesn't count , it's too early to say about him.

Even as a bottom 6er, it's evident IMO that Paajarvi has almost no shot of being a consistent player for the Oilers. He brings nothing. He's fast but that's about it. Hockey sense is weak. Finish is weak. Soft. He could be a good defensive player but again the Oilers lack guys who can bang bodies and be nasty. Unless MPS can actually become an elite defensive forward I don't see the point of keeping him around for the future. Perhaps he could be converted to centre or defense.
I agree with all of that, and given how disagreeable I can be and how long that post is, I'm kind of in shock.

Well said

Old
11-04-2012, 09:43 PM
MessierII

Triple header is pretty rediculous at the pro level. Not suprised they struggled.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Dabomb

It is pretty disappointing to see alot of our depth role prospects struggle so far. One player who I've been quite disappointed in is Curtis Hamilton. He looked like such a promising 3rd/4th line role player and great PK'er during the WJC and I thought he was gonna fill in that role perfectly for the Oilers. But watching him play at the Pro level, its evident that he still very far from contributing anything at the NHL level. I'm not so concerned about our top 6 going forward, but the Oilers really need to address the bottom 6 and adding size into our lineup. Pitlick looks promising at times but I was hoping he'd add more offensively than he has so far. And whats happened to Lander? He looked good at times last year in the NHL but doesn't look like he's progressed this year. And if theres a young player I wouldn't mind packaging in a trade, it would be MPS. I don't think he has enough hockey smart to be in our top6 and doesn't bring enough grit to be in our bottom 6. Defensively, its a bit of a concern too, but I'm really happy with how Schultz and Marincin have played. With Klefbom, Gernat, and Musil still in our system, I'm not as concerned with that as I am with our 3rd and 4th line players.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Teubert has been playing physical. And Im not sure why Moroz wouldnt count. Or Ewanyk for that matter or even Musil.
Hmm well I haven't seen Musil so I can't speak on him. I am looking forward to catching him in a few Oil Kings game now. I was skeptical with that pick to begin with, but he does appear to be a fine young man. Has some size. Jack of all trades master of none is what I gather from reading other people's comments on him.

I admit I was a fan of Teubert before and was happy when he came to Edmonton from LA. But the guy lacks... several things, lol. I will be ecstatic if he can "turn the corner" and become a physical, decent bottom pairing guy in the NHL but as of right now I'm not getting my hopes up. I'll say I'm more excited about Moroz than I am of Ewanyk, but it's not saying much.

Last edited by Philly85: 11-04-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old
11-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

Why not? The 3 games I've watched that Pitlick has played in he's been a wrecking ball. Of those 3 games this is the first I've seen Hartikainen get involved. Pitlick is finishing checks (and big ones) and creating chances, he just hasn't had much luck with the puck going in.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:17 AM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
IMO Harski has had better games, but he did have a good game tonight.

Quote:

Harski's biggest knock has been consistency, this has been the longest stretch of games that I have seen him play well/hard. If he can do that he becomes a valuable NHL player. IMO saying that Harski can be consistently physical and then saying the opposite of Pitlick is unfair, Pitlick is 2 years younger and Harski has been far from a model of consistency up until he started playing with RNH and Eberle.

As for being soft, this is why we drafted guys like Ewanyk and Moroz. And while you can say it's too early re: Moroz, IMO this team lacks toughness that can play in a big way so it made sense to try to add him to our system, truth be told we could use 2-3 more in his mold.

Quote:
Why not? The 3 games I've watched that Pitlick has played in he's been a wrecking ball. Of those 3 games this is the first I've seen Hartikainen get involved. Pitlick is finishing checks (and big ones) and creating chances, he just hasn't had much luck with the puck going in.
Both are inconsistent in the physical game IMO, that said this season Harski has been the more consistent player night in and night out in that regard. Pitlick hits more, but Harski IMO uses his size/strength more.

11-05-2012, 02:30 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
How the hell did we NOT score? What the hell?!? How could they do this to Scultz??!?! I'm furious.

Closed Thread