HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stick a fork in it!!!

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2005, 03:32 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1150
Stick a fork in it!!!

Fridays meeting just wrapped up after a mere 4 hours.Goodenow spoke briefly to the press and jumped in a cab to catch his flight back to Toronto.
As far as i'm concerned thats all she wrote for 04/05.
Its going to be much harder for me to ever feel the same love i've had for 40+ years.Regardless of which party we sided with i doubt anyone honestly considers the loss of the season a blessing in disguise as i've seen posted many times.
I now wonder how long they think this can go on and still have a viable league?

Old
02-04-2005, 03:59 PM
TrueBlue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
Fridays meeting just wrapped up after a mere 4 hours.Goodenow spoke briefly to the press and jumped in a cab to catch his flight back to Toronto.
As far as i'm concerned thats all she wrote for 04/05.
Its going to be much harder for me to ever feel the same love i've had for 40+ years.Regardless of which party we sided with i doubt anyone honestly considers the loss of the season a blessing in disguise as i've seen posted many times.
I now wonder how long they think this can go on and still have a viable league?

As we say in Mortal Kombat: FINISH HIM, and then you perform the Fatality. This Fatality will be performed by sticking a fork in it.

I don't know about blessing in disguise. But can I tell you one good thing about next year, with or without the NHl?

That is the baby Leafs coming to Toronto. This is going to be good hockey especially the baby Habs being 45 minutes away and in the same division. That's going to be good rivalry hockey. We'll have each other's prospects under a microscope. I believe this will raise the bar for our scouting department to try and draft the best possible players cause the fans will demand it now being in the spotlight. I think I'm more excited about the Baby Leafs coming to Toronto than the NHL resuming.

Old
02-04-2005, 06:21 PM
ATG

Bloody ****ers (shakes fist)

Last edited by ATG: 02-04-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old
02-04-2005, 08:31 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

personally i want to see big time changes
why do we have to have 30 teams ?

lets have 20
contraction is good
i dont care if there's no US tv deal :mad:

Old
02-04-2005, 08:43 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
personally i want to see big time changes

i dont care if there's no US tv deal :mad:
What is the current American tv deal worth?
Its rarely if ever mentioned as a significant source of revenue so it must be fairly lame anyway.

Old
02-04-2005, 11:03 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

why dont the owners get tough and say
'this is our best offer,
but if we wait any longer its likely not to be as good the more we lose money from waiting...

Old
02-05-2005, 03:03 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Fri, February 4, 2005

Plug your ears on this one

By MIKE ULMER

TRUST ME, you don't want a National Hockey League season. A season would require a complete capitulation by the players and, as difficult as it would be to endure a victorious Bob Goodenow, Gary Bettman's golden moment would be even worse to watch.

Bettman would try to be magnanimous, but cagey media types would not fail to notice that Goodenow will not be present at the press conference, having already embarked on his new career as the greeter at the Orangeville Wal-Mart.

CELEBRATORY SHOT

Before the press conference, the owners would be wearing 'Game On' hats with the tags still on and gather for a celebratory shot with each owner, extending his index finger while shouting: "Who's your daddy?"

Before reaching the podium, Bettman would have to run a gauntlet of wildly grinning owners and high-five Bill Wirtz who appears to be doing something that approximates the Funky Chicken.

Read ON: http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2005/02/04/920278-sun.html

Old
02-05-2005, 02:08 PM
TheBudsForever

Like I Said, They Deserve Each Other...

Here's hoping that the impasse consumes a second season and that 6 current American franchises go under costing alot of players their jobs and owners their investment. Honestly, at this point, I doubt too many of us are pining away for the return of hockey, as there are other things to do. Hardly the end of the world.

Pure greed from both players and owners created and continues to maintain the current situation. They both make me sick.

Alternatively, when this ends, here's hoping that many of the fringe American franchises have miserable interest in season's tickets. Again, I hope that a number of them go under wiping out their owner investments and costing players their jobs.

Here's also hoping that Bettman and Goodenow get fired.

Here's also hoping that we see a rival viable league spring up while the strike continues. Even the serious attempt at starting one up would put some real heat on both the owners and players.

A pox on them both.

Old
02-05-2005, 02:58 PM
leaflover
New hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBudsForever
Here's hoping that the impasse consumes a second season and that 6 current American franchises go under costing alot of players their jobs and owners their investment. Honestly, at this point, I doubt too many of us are pining away for the return of hockey, as there are other things to do. Hardly the end of the world.

Pure greed from both players and owners created and continues to maintain the current situation. They both make me sick.

Alternatively, when this ends, here's hoping that many of the fringe American franchises have miserable interest in season's tickets. Again, I hope that a number of them go under wiping out their owner investments and costing players their jobs.

Here's also hoping that Bettman and Goodenow get fired.

Here's also hoping that we see a rival viable league spring up while the strike continues. Even the serious attempt at starting one up would put some real heat on both the owners and players.

A pox on them both.
I agree,as a fan thats the only silver lining for this lockout.It would be ironic that by trying to slit its own throat the NHL inadvertantly fixed its ugly on-ice product.

Dumb luck.

Old
02-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
I agree,as a fan thats the only silver lining for this lockout.It would be ironic that by trying to slit its own throat the NHL inadvertantly fixed its ugly on-ice product.

Dumb luck.
This is a great read

http://newyorkpost.com/sports/39987.htm

I love that last part ..

"Finally, you've got to love this part of the league's last proposal, Section 12 that provides for an independent audit of club finances with penalties of $2M and the loss of a first-round pick for a first offense of failing to disclose required information, and a fine of $5M and loss of three first-rounders for a second such offense.

But I thought Arthur Levitt already vouched for the accuracy of the league financial reports?"......

So Bettman is telling the NHLPA ..Don't worry ..that he is putting controls in the CBA that is intended to address the Owners that are prepared to ..

** LIE ..CHEAT..AND STEAL **

.. to misrepresent revenue and Bettman says ** TRUST ME ** ..Lets be ** PARTNERS ** to the NHLPA and you get 55% of everything we are able to catch them not hiding..

Old
02-06-2005, 04:35 PM
leaflover
New hope

Its pretty difficult to disagree with much of that.
Interesting how the theme of many recent NHL lockout articles are has switched from *hope for a season* to *why the season will be lost*.
Seems the only ones incapable of reaching this obvious conclusion is the league itself.

Closed Thread