HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-20-2013, 12:33 AM
  #301
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk
 
IslesRock4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 20,439
vCash: 500
Even though our defense (when Strait was healthy) consisted of 5 actual NHL quality defenseman, Seth Jones would just be amazing on this team. I hope Snow has his eye on him should we continue to suck. With at least one of Streit/Vis gone and least 2 of Nino/Strome/Nelson on the team next year, you'd have to think we go Dman if reasonable.

I hate the "lose really bad" mentality that Wang has placed in us, but I don't think our current roster is going anywhere. Imagine we decided to win a couple more games in 08-09?

__________________

IslesRock4 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 09:28 AM
  #302
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,163
vCash: 50
The odds of the Isles getting Seth Jones are so slim that it's just a tease for me to think about it. Even if they finish dead last, they need to win the lottery too, if I understand things correctly.

seafoam is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 09:33 AM
  #303
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
The odds of the Isles getting Seth Jones are so slim that it's just a tease for me to think about it. Even if they finish dead last, they need to win the lottery too, if I understand things correctly.
Yes, you are correct, but either way we should be fine as long as it ends up being a top pick. If we finish 2nd, that pick will carry a ton of value. MacKinnon could either be an immediate addition to our team, or could be a guy that other teams would pay through the nose for. Even if it's between 3-5 overall, chances are it will have enough value to be the centerpiece of a trade to get us a top-pairing guy.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 09:41 AM
  #304
IslandersFan17
Registered User
 
IslandersFan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach
Country: United States
Posts: 1,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
The odds of the Isles getting Seth Jones are so slim that it's just a tease for me to think about it. Even if they finish dead last, they need to win the lottery too, if I understand things correctly.
Correct, I might be the minority here, but even if the Islanders miss out on Jones I would love to land Barkov. I see the Islanders finishing in the top five, not the worst, I feel like the Blue Jackets or the Panthers will end up the worst. The Caps are an anomaly for me so I don't know where they finish but I figure we will be competing with them for a top pick.

IslandersFan17 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 10:47 AM
  #305
TeamKidd
Registered User
 
TeamKidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,669
vCash: 500
cmon, we're gonna end up with the 4th or 5th pick as usual...

TeamKidd is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 11:16 AM
  #306
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Yes, you are correct, but either way we should be fine as long as it ends up being a top pick. If we finish 2nd, that pick will carry a ton of value. MacKinnon could either be an immediate addition to our team, or could be a guy that other teams would pay through the nose for. Even if it's between 3-5 overall, chances are it will have enough value to be the centerpiece of a trade to get us a top-pairing guy.
You don't trade a MacKinnon. You put him next to Tavares and get them a power forward and count the goals on your pet porcupine.

A Pointed Stick is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 11:40 AM
  #307
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
You don't trade a MacKinnon. You put him next to Tavares and get them a power forward and count the goals on your pet porcupine.
this


Mack-JT-Nino

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 11:41 AM
  #308
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
cmon, we're gonna end up with the 4th or 5th pick as usual...
This is my thinking as well. We are destined to suck, but not suck enough to get one of the top 2.

Maybe Snow will offer up all of his picks for the #1 or #2 overall. We got criticized for it already, we might as well do it for real.

PWJunior is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 11:48 AM
  #309
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
This is my thinking as well. We are destined to suck, but not suck enough to get one of the top 2.

Maybe Snow will offer up all of his picks for the #1 or #2 overall. We got criticized for it already, we might as well do it for real.
exactley, whats another bowl of spagetti...


Top10 is going to be good....Im always for making the playoffs but this year feels a bit different for me....I really ant Jones for some reason....now I would still take the playoffs, but if were not going to make it then lets not make all the way and g for the top pick...

Building around a Franchise center and Potential franchise defensman would be awsome...

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 12:58 PM
  #310
YashinWorksHard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Spain
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
Before select Jones, i would like to see what we can expect from Reinhart, Pokka, Mayfield, Pedan, Pelech.. i think there are very good stuff. Do you guys think that Pokka, Reinhart or Mayfield specially can be ready to play in the NHL next year? De Haan too.

YashinWorksHard is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 01:02 PM
  #311
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,731
vCash: 500
Looks like it could be shaping up to be 1991 all over again.

Isles Pick #4

Consensus top 3 picks (Jones-Mack-Drouin) (in 91: Lindros, Falloon, Neidermeyer)

And the gem of the draft sitting right there to be taken Lindholm (Peter Forsberg)

Hopefully we get it right, if history repeats itself. (Not that we ever do).

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 01:04 PM
  #312
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
Before select Jones, i would like to see what we can expect from Reinhart, Pokka, Mayfield, Pedan, Pelech.. i think there are very good stuff. Do you guys think that Pokka, Reinhart or Mayfield specially can be ready to play in the NHL next year? De Haan too.
Reinhart is the only one that you listed that can play next year. They just have to decide if they want to develop his offensive game (by sending him to Juniors again) OR skip that and send him straight to the bigs. If they choose the latter, we may never fully know what we had.

Donovan makes the jump next year.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 02:14 PM
  #313
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YashinWorksHard View Post
Before select Jones, i would like to see what we can expect from Reinhart, Pokka, Mayfield, Pedan, Pelech.. i think there are very good stuff. Do you guys think that Pokka, Reinhart or Mayfield specially can be ready to play in the NHL next year? De Haan too.
BPA


also you dont pass on the potential that thid kid has...


IDC if we had Reinhart,Larrson,Fowler,and OEL. I still take Jones if hes there..


Mack would look sick next to Johnny though

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 02:22 PM
  #314
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
You don't trade a MacKinnon. You put him next to Tavares and get them a power forward and count the goals on your pet porcupine.
I'd trade MacKinnon all day if it got us back a young-prime top-pairing defenseman.

blinkman360 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 02:55 PM
  #315
19NYSports91
Registered User
 
19NYSports91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
BPA


also you dont pass on the potential that thid kid has...


IDC if we had Reinhart,Larrson,Fowler,and OEL. I still take Jones if hes there..


Mack would look sick next to Johnny though
I think Strome would move to RW and play with JT, Mackinnon would be 2nd line center.

19NYSports91 is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 08:30 PM
  #316
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I'd trade MacKinnon all day if it got us back a young-prime top-pairing defenseman.
maybe yandle? do you view him in that light?

islandermaniac is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 08:42 PM
  #317
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,163
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
maybe yandle? do you view him in that light?
Yandle is primarily an offensive defenseman. If the Isles were to essentially trade Nathan MacKinnon, they should be looking to aquire a young, stud, two-way defenseman such as Oliver Ekman-Larsson. However, I doubt Phoenix would even consider having discussions about trading OEL, who is becoming one of the better defenseman in the league, even with their offensive troubles. If the Isles were to dangle more such as Nino and Reinhart, maybe Maloney would pick up the phone.

seafoam is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 08:52 PM
  #318
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
maybe yandle? do you view him in that light?
How many PP Specialists do you want? I really don't understand the infatuation with Yandle. He'd be a nice add, but I wouldn't be packaging a ton of assets to bring him over.

Brent Seabrook and Alex Edler... now that's another story. Guys that can contribute offensively but shine defensively and have size/strength/skating......

Good luck getting either one of those guys though.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 08:59 PM
  #319
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
How many PP Specialists do you want? I really don't understand the infatuation with Yandle. He'd be a nice add, but I wouldn't be packaging a ton of assets to bring him over.

Brent Seabrook and Alex Edler... now that's another story. Guys that can contribute offensively but shine defensively and have size/strength/skating......

Good luck getting either one of those guys though.
just asking a question...hence the question mark...

islandermaniac is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 09:32 PM
  #320
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
just asking a question...hence the question mark...
Wasn't just at you, I swear I see Yandle's name on this board more than John Tavares'.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 10:04 PM
  #321
TeamKidd
Registered User
 
TeamKidd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,669
vCash: 500
remember that this year the worst team has a significantly lower chance of winning the draft lottery, only 25%...where it used to be nearly 50% (25% chance of their own ball, 25% chance of someone outside of the top five winning the lottery)...so even if we finish dead last, the likelihood of us ending up with jones...is small.

call me crazy but i havent given up on this year yet.

TeamKidd is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 10:38 PM
  #322
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
I think Jonathan Drouin is the guy. Whatever we have to do to get him

LotteryForLife* is offline  
Old
02-20-2013, 11:00 PM
  #323
redbull
Expect more
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
remember that this year the worst team has a significantly lower chance of winning the draft lottery, only 25%...where it used to be nearly 50% (25% chance of their own ball, 25% chance of someone outside of the top five winning the lottery)...so even if we finish dead last, the likelihood of us ending up with jones...is small.

call me crazy but i havent given up on this year yet.
ok. Crazy.

Isles need to go 21-11 to make the playoffs. Impossible.

Next: are you sure about the 25%? I don't recall anything being communcated about how the lottery percentages will shake out, except (or is it ACCEPT?) that it will include 14 teams instead of 5.

But it may be that the percentages won't change much.

Oh hell, i'll google this...

redbull is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 01:07 AM
  #324
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I'd trade MacKinnon all day if it got us back a young-prime top-pairing defenseman.
I sure am glad you're not the GM then. This team needs another highly skilled forward to pair with JT more than anything else

LotteryForLife* is offline  
Old
02-21-2013, 01:09 AM
  #325
LotteryForLife*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
How many PP Specialists do you want? I really don't understand the infatuation with Yandle. He'd be a nice add, but I wouldn't be packaging a ton of assets to bring him over.

Brent Seabrook and Alex Edler... now that's another story. Guys that can contribute offensively but shine defensively and have size/strength/skating......

Good luck getting either one of those guys though.
I'm not trading MacKinnon or Drouin for Keith Yandle. Sorry

LotteryForLife* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.