HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-21-2013, 05:50 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotteryForLife View Post
I sure am glad you're not the GM then. This team needs another highly skilled forward to pair with JT more than anything else
Amen - Number 1 need for this franchise!

Old
02-21-2013, 09:20 AM
steveat

Found this kid in the Prospects section. This kid is a monster!

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...you-re-a-giant

I think we should have him on our radar for when he becomes draft eligible in 6 years.

8-)

Old
02-21-2013, 09:58 AM
Isles Junkie

depressing realistic thread is depressing

Old
02-21-2013, 10:22 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Amen - Number 1 need for this franchise!
The number 1 need for this franchise is a player to play with Tavares or second line center? Mackinnon should be the 2nd line center so he wouldn't even be playing with Tavares.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:38 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
The number 1 need for this franchise is a player to play with Tavares or second line center? Mackinnon should be the 2nd line center so he wouldn't even be playing with Tavares.
Never watch any Pittsburgh games? Sometimes Gino and Syd play together, sometimes not. It is a wonderful problem to have so I'd take MacKinnon in a heartbeat.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:38 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
If we were able to get MacKinnon, I'd want him on the top line to give JT a RW that can make things happen.

I think Strome is coming along fine as the projected #2C.

Old
02-21-2013, 11:15 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

I love the draft, i love the research, and i love the idea of the new shiny toy that is going to save us. This year, Seth Jones has me excited... I really think this kid is going to be special....

But i think this year is different.. I think we have to be better this year and if not make the playoffs, be in the hunt right up until the end of the year and have a .500 record (or better) or else we stand to see this team damaged beyond repair.... If we dont win this year, i can see many of the players giving up and starting to believe it will never change........ I think this year is different than the others because the difference between winning and losing is the difference between guys like Street, Lubo and Nabokov showing an interest in resigning, as well as other free agents showing an interest in joining us as we head to Brooklyn...it us also the difference between josh bailey being offered another contract with us, or him not resigning and us never seeing him pan out as an Islander..it is the difference of enough excitement building for a potential important player in Anders Lee signing with us at the end of the year.......

There comes a time when a team must turn a corner or at least show a decent amount of improvement or the results could be damaging beyond repair..... It can cost us many players and set us back that much further because of the young players that choose to jump ship.. More losses equal even less revenue.. Can this team afford less revenue... Heck, if we lose this year, we may not have to worry about Anders Lee walking, Wang might not be willing to open the check book for him, or any other players that could help the team. Like i said earlier, it may be the end of Bailey and Okposo as well...

So as much as i want Seth Jones, i think we are in a 'win now' position more then ever before... We need to win to build momentum and hope.. If not for any else moreso than for JT!!!! Give Johnny some hope and reason to believe this ship is headed somewhere...

Old
02-21-2013, 12:00 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
If we were able to get MacKinnon, I'd want him on the top line to give JT a RW that can make things happen.

I think Strome is coming along fine as the projected #2C.
I rather put Strome on a line with Tavares since Mackinnon is going to be the better overall player. You already know the Tavares line is going to produce because of Tavares, I rather put Mackinnon on the second line because you will have 2 really good scoring lines.

The biggest need on this team is NOT a RW to play next to Tavares. Does Crosby play with really good players?

Last edited by 19NYSports91: 02-21-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old
02-21-2013, 12:15 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Never watch any Pittsburgh games? Sometimes Gino and Syd play together, sometimes not. It is a wonderful problem to have so I'd take MacKinnon in a heartbeat.
They play together when they're down by 2 or more goals, completely different than having them on the same lines throughout the whole game. Obviously they play on the PP together too. When did I say I wouldn't take Mackinnon?

Jones
Mackinnon
Drouin
Barkov

Old
02-21-2013, 12:50 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
They play together when they're down by 2 or more goals, completely different than having them on the same lines throughout the whole game. Obviously they play on the PP together too. When did I say I wouldn't take Mackinnon?

Jones
Mackinnon
Drouin
Barkov
My point was more to that they could play together. We have an overabundance of centers, and with MacKinnon, who brings an equally balanced game of scorer and playmaker, just like Tavares, I'd want to give them a long look together. That MacKinnon has a gritty,physical game as well makes it a no-brainer for me. I'd call him the perfect compliment to Tavares, but more that they would make a dynamic tandem.

Look at the breakdowns in scoring Tavares suffers from periodically. No help from his linemates doing the bulk of the work in the offensive zone, so he tries to do it all and gets shut down, easily. You put MacKinnon on his line and who do you focus on now? Plus he can pick up the corner work, and John can play his game in the crease, and all you need at that point is a competent forward who can give and receive a pass without anyone pressuring them (as Tavares and MacKinnon will automatically occupy the other team) and bingo, you now own the best line in the NHL.

I will call it now. If we do manage to get MacKinnon, he will become John's linemate, and they will go on to become the next Kane/Toews of the NHL and IMO, better than they do.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Konk

At this point the MacKinnon talk is slightly premature as the Isles are still doing marginally better than Florida, Buffalo, Columbus, and Washington.

They're in the running for Elias Lindholm (who can play C/RW), not Jones or MacKinnon. If Buffalo and/or Washington turn it around, then they might be in the running for Drouin which gives Tavares a linemate worth talking about. I don't think they'll finish quite low enough for Jones/MacKinnon either way.

Old
02-21-2013, 02:37 PM
ferrisUML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
At this point the MacKinnon talk is slightly premature as the Isles are still doing marginally better than Florida, Buffalo, Columbus, and Washington.

They're in the running for Elias Lindholm (who can play C/RW), not Jones or MacKinnon. If Buffalo and/or Washington turn it around, then they might be in the running for Drouin which gives Tavares a linemate worth talking about. I don't think they'll finish quite low enough for Jones/MacKinnon either way.
You didn't get the memo? This is the year we win the lottery.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:12 PM
Tavares2Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrisUML View Post
You didn't get the memo? This is the year we win the lottery.
No, we only win the lottery when Rick DiPietro is the projected #1 lol.

Old
02-21-2013, 04:36 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares2Hall View Post
No, we only win the lottery when Rick DiPietro is the projected #1 lol.
well...rick dipietro was NOT the number one ranked player when the isles selected him. the isles had a great chance to select the higher ranked gaborik or heatley. mike dinglenuts milbury wanted to create a scene...and he did. he decided he knew more than any hockey mind that ever lived. turns out, he didn't...the rest is history.

Old
02-21-2013, 05:49 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post

Unless something changes, like a new coach who deserves to be in the NHL, or some player upgrades, this club is heading south to the top 3. And with the way Druin is now projected as the possible 1/2, and the noise Barkov keeps making, I think MacKinnon is definitely a possibility.

Old
02-21-2013, 06:03 PM
scott99

The Isles will **** it up enough to get the #5 pick. And miss out on the elite picks, like last year when they missed out on Galchenyuck. This year they'll miss out on Jones, Mackinnon, Barkov & Drouin.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:40 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
The Isles will **** it up enough to get the #5 pick. And miss out on the elite picks, like last year when they missed out on Galchenyuck. This year they'll miss out on Jones, Mackinnon, Barkov & Drouin.
What about Sean Monahan, I've heard the term Toews-lite being thrown around when referring to him.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:53 PM
IslandersFan17

More and more likely we will be able to draft my boy Barkov.

Old
02-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Unless something changes, like a new coach who deserves to be in the NHL, or some player upgrades, this club is heading south to the top 3. And with the way Druin is now projected as the possible 1/2, and the noise Barkov keeps making, I think MacKinnon is definitely a possibility.
You're right about bottom three after tonight, I'm sure the Isles will be there with Washington and Florida winning so far. However, Drouin is only seen as 1/2 on HF. Scouts still see 1. Jones, 2. MacKinnon, 3. Drouin.

If history repeats itself, they've had a Drouin before, so maybe the Islanders will end up with a Drouin again?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=1438

Old
02-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I believe the bolded part, as I referenced from a prior post above, is the number one need.

I'm hoping the solution for the second line center is already here in the system in the form of Nelson or Strome.

Old
02-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Then what is Ryan Strome?

Old
02-21-2013, 10:01 PM
HumphreyBrogart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Then what is Ryan Strome?
You know based on what little I've seen of him, I'm seeing Strome project as being our mini-Tavares doing for our second line what Tavares does for the first: elevate the play of his wingers with his vision, high hockey IQ, and relentlessness. This could give us a really nice 1-2 punch. Of course Nelson could end up in that spot and Strome could play first line wing. That wouldn't be a terrible thing either, but I see the first scenario as a decent possibility.

Old
02-22-2013, 01:11 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Alot of recent posts saying our biggest need is a winger for Tavares. That very well may or may not (#1 defenseman) be our biggest need, but I certainly don't think it is our biggest need in this upcoming draft, because what does that mean of Ryan Strome (top 5 overall), Nino Niederreiter (top 5 overall), and Brock Nelson (late first round pick playing much better than anticipated)??? ..... In other words, yes a winger for Tavares is a need, but hopefully we have that guy already in the system.......... I wouldn't mind grabbing a Mackinnon or Droiun, but not at the expense of the BPA (Jones), who also serves a huge team need.

Old
02-22-2013, 06:30 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Alot of recent posts saying our biggest need is a winger for Tavares. That very well may or may not (#1 defenseman) be our biggest need, but I certainly don't think it is our biggest need in this upcoming draft, because what does that mean of Ryan Strome (top 5 overall), Nino Niederreiter (top 5 overall), and Brock Nelson (late first round pick playing much better than anticipated)??? ..... In other words, yes a winger for Tavares is a need, but hopefully we have that guy already in the system.......... I wouldn't mind grabbing a Mackinnon or Droiun, but not at the expense of the BPA (Jones), who also serves a huge team need.
True, stating that the franchise's biggest need is to get the ideal winger for Tavares is a general statement about the 'state of the nation', so to speak.

It's not a statement on what the goal of the 2013 draft should be.

That first round goal should be BPA, as pretty much always.

Fortunately, the way things are shaping up, lots of interesting kids in the top 15. Sure hope Snow doesn't trade our first rounder.

Old
02-22-2013, 08:46 AM
Beastrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

Fortunately, the way things are shaping up, lots of interesting kids in the top 15. Sure hope Snow doesn't trade our first rounder.
I think if they are not in the top 10 they will trade the pick. After jones and 6 or 7 forwards i think the islanders will go ryan pulock or trade the pick.

Closed Thread