HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2013, 09:13 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

vCash: 500
they needed Matt Duchene and Victor Hedman at the 09 draft, as well as Tavares. They still need a #2 C a #1 dman and 1-2 solid 2-way wingers that don't kill them 5on5.

They CANNOT do this through the draft. The results of any NHL draft are 3-4 years AFTER the draft at the earliest. Only in RARE exceptions can a player jump in and actually improve the team. Not even Tavares did that. It took him three years to become a game-changer and he's pretty alone in that respect.

But Snow must know that, with his experience.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:21 AM
CodeE

But every year, more and more prospects from previous drafts are finding their way to the big club. You can't look at it in a vacuum (Islanders draft Seth Jones and he doesn't play immediately), more of a continuously flowing system: grab top draft picks, develop them, give them time, and eventually call them up to the NHL.

Ullstrom & Cizikas made the leap this year.

Nino, Strome, Donovan, Nelson, Mayfield, and others shouldn't be far behind.

Reinhart, Pokka, and whoever we take in the 2013 draft are even further behind.

Old
02-22-2013, 11:27 AM
IslesfanJT91

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Just saw this mock draft. They have us taking Monahan at #7

Old
02-22-2013, 09:59 PM
islandermaniac

the jonathan drouin show is continuing in halifax. many posters over the course of the last couple of seasons have suggested that his production has been due to nathan mackinnon.

well...

since mackinnon's injury, drouin has played 6 games. stats in those games:

6g, 11a, 18pts, +12.

now, this doesn't necessarily mean that he is a better pro prospect than mackinnon, but the kid is a dynamo. at this point, i would not want to bet against him being the next patrick kane.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:35 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

If we don't get a top 7 pick which is a real possibility i think we should gamble on Nichushkin who i believe is under contract in Russia until 2015 & sure to drop during the draft because of the Russian factor. He could be our Tarasenko & be ready by the time we move to Brooklyn. Heard Button raving about him and comparing him to Jagr in a podcast for what ever that is worth. Could be a dream with Tavares.

Old
02-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
No description needed

Old
02-24-2013, 01:47 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
No description needed

mackinnon obviously created that chance and drouin just tapped it in

Old
02-24-2013, 02:28 PM
scott99

I bet Drouin will quickly move up the draft board, producing without Mackinnon. Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov would be my guess for the top 4 now.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:01 PM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I bet Drouin will quickly move up the draft board, producing without Mackinnon. Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov would be my guess for the top 4 now.
He's been Top 4 on the draft boards for a few months now; a little late for that prediction.

Old
02-24-2013, 03:09 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesfanJT91 View Post
http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Just saw this mock draft. They have us taking Monahan at #7
I rather Shinkaruk (pure goal scorer), or Zadorav, another huge talented d-man

Old
02-24-2013, 03:56 PM
StumpNYI

Pooin' for Drouin?

Old
02-25-2013, 06:32 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Here are the NHL's early mock drafts. Far too early if you ask me.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Two of the three 'pickers' have the Isles grabbing (surprise, surprise) a Dman at sixth overall.

With not one of them having Wennberg in the first round whatsoever, I'm afraid I've seriously gotta doubt just how much they tend to know.

Old
02-25-2013, 08:21 PM
islandermaniac

bob mckenzie's top 5 players on the tsn intermission segment tonight.

players mentioned in order of height because bob says that size matters to the scouts:

valeri nichushkin: 6-4, 196
seth jones: 6-3.5, 208
aleksander barkov: 6-3, 209
nate mackinnon: 6-0, 182
jonathan drouin: 5-10.75, 185

the segment was due to drouin's ridiculous shift the other day and the host was asking if that play vaulted him to number one. bob said that despite drouin rising up the charts, nichushkin is generating even more buzz in the scouting community. he says a lot of scouts say that the top two players in the draft are jones and nichushkin.

button now has drouin at 2. jones is 1. mackinnon is 3. barkov is 4. nichushkin is 5. he agreed that size matters but wanted to point out that denis savard and pat lafontaine were smaller players who came from the q that ended up with hall of fame careers.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:07 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
bob mckenzie's top 5 players on the tsn intermission segment tonight.

players mentioned in order of height because bob says that size matters to the scouts:

valeri nichushkin: 6-4, 196
seth jones: 6-3.5, 208
aleksander barkov: 6-3, 209
nate mackinnon: 6-0, 182
jonathan drouin: 5-10.75, 185

the segment was due to drouin's ridiculous shift the other day and the host was asking if that play vaulted him to number one. bob said that despite drouin rising up the charts, nichushkin is generating even more buzz in the scouting community. he says a lot of scouts say that the top two players in the draft are jones and nichushkin.

button now has drouin at 2. jones is 1. mackinnon is 3. barkov is 4. nichushkin is 5. he agreed that size matters but wanted to point out that denis savard and pat lafontaine were smaller players who came from the q that ended up with hall of fame careers.
The more I research this draft, the more impressed I am with the top 12-15 picks. It is a really impressive top half of the first round. With that, even if the Isles compete for that 8th playoff spot and finish somewhere around .500, we'll end up with a very solid prospect. Although I'd be happy with any of the top 12 picks, there is a top tier of 7-8 players.

If we finished say 10-12, I'd be very happy with any of Rasmus Ristolainen, Ryan Pulock, Anthony Mantha, Darnell Nurse, etc.

If we finish in the 6-10 range, I'd jump for joy with Elias Lindholm, Sean Monahan, Nikita Zadorov, or if he slipped out of the top 5, Sasha Barkhov.

I think there is an elite top-5. I'd love any of them.. But if we end up with a top-5 pick, the guy who just recently grabbed my attention and other than his passport, is the absolute perfect pick for us..... Valeri Nichushkin!!!

I was a Seth Jones guy 100% up until this week. I still love him. But the more I look at Nichushkin, he is th absolute perfect pick. I didn't look at him up until this week because I swore never to take a Russian with a top-10 pick with the recent KHL shenaningans. If Nichushkin wasn't so perfect of a fit for us, I'd still pass, but he is the perfect winger for Tavares for the next 12 years. And as far as the Russian passport... well, he'll have plenty of company in Brooklyn. Brighton Beach bound!! They'll make him feel right at home!!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin or Barkhov. I was just as amazed with Drouin's recent videos as everyone else. But in the NHL, and as we saw with the Boston Bruins tonight, size matters!!

Everything I am reading about Nichushkin's game leads me to believe he would be the perfect winger for Tavares. He has size, is a very strong skater with speed. High compete level and very hard to knock off the puck... Here's the best part: Goes to the dirty areas and plays physical.. With that physical style of play and strong skating, he has excellent skills with the puck, could play in traffic, good shot, awareness, feel for the game and passing skills. Really seems to have all the tools...... The knock on Russians usually is they don't compete hard all the time, or don't play physical. They are saying the opposite about this kid. What is usually the knock on taller players, skating. Well his skating was described as excellent. When you usually have a big, tall physical kid, he usually is lacking a bit in overall skill and offense... Not the case with him. This kid has those qualities as well. As I said, I'm looking for any excuse to take the safe North American player, but if this kid is there (even 1st overall), as of right now, I'd take him. The only player I'm afraid to pass on is Jones.. So if Jones was gone and we're picking 2nd, it makes the decision a bit easier.

Along with Nichushkin, this looks like an elite top-5, compromised of Jones, Nichushkin, MacKinnon, Drouin and Barkhov, with perhaps Lindholm and Monahan just a touch behind. Throw in the two big defensemen in Zadorov and Nurse, along with Ristolainen, there's your top 10 (for the most part and subject to change a bit). I like Ryan Pulock over Nurse but that's nitpicking.

I would love Jones and can easily imagine either MacKinnon or Drouin on Tavares' wing as well. MacKinnon has speed and a right handed shot that remind me of Stamkos. I know he's a center, but I doubt he'd have trouble converting to wing. But we really can't go wrong with a top-5, 10, 12 pick.

It's exciting to know that even if we have a good 2nd half, we will be staring at a good prospect in the 10-15 range... and if we don't have a good second half, well we may just be able to grab Tavares' winger or that top pairing D-man we need...

Draft mode on!... Let this be the last top-10 pick for awhile... our system is loaded and I think beginning next year, it will all start coming together!!

Update:
"His contract with the KHL is for 2 more years. He hasn't said anything about coming over before the end of the deal because he simply can't. His deal doesn't allow it. From what I understand, unless the NHL and KHL change their policy with each other there is no chance he'll be in NA until the 15-16 season."

So this changes everything....... damn! ... Can we grab a 2nd first rounder if he is still on the board between 15-20 and take him?? Where is the point he is worth taking and waiting two years because he is that much between then the players left on the board??
Here's the deal.. Columbus has THREE first rounders. If two of the three are below our first rounder we trade our first rounder and mabe a 3rd rounder and a prospect for Columbus' 2 later first rounders....

If the Islanders were picking fifth and Columbus had the 1st overall, then the 10th and 17th picks, we trade:

Our 1st rounder (5th overall)
3rd rounder
Ville Pokka

for the 10th and 17th picks..........

Last edited by petrocelli: 02-27-2013 at 03:45 AM.
Old
02-27-2013, 03:16 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Imagine this on Tavares' right wing???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wp4T8lBBMPw

Old
02-27-2013, 05:55 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Imagine this on Tavares' right wing???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=wp4T8lBBMPw
I'm really torn about Nicushkin. That 2 year contract can turn into another 2 year contract. That being said, if its only 2 years, most Islander's prospects aren't coming to the Isles until 2 years after their draft year anyway, so it doesn't matter if he plays 2 years in Russia or Juniors. It didn't hurt Tarasenko. But look at Kuznetsov for Washington, will he ever come over ? The whole KHL thing scares me.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:05 AM
InformTheMasses

Nichushkin is really tempting but its not the islanders style to take this type of russian risk in the lottery portion of the draft, i don't see it happening at all.

Might we regret it? Ohhhhhh yeah. Kid is a beast, but remember if this kid signs to play in the nhl with another team. It doesn't mean he would have signed here. Even with the brooklyn factor and the russian community there.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:35 AM
kuwo

I asked this before, but I'd like to ask again. How do you feel about Curtis Lazar, if the Isles pick around 10th overall? I only saw him during the Subway Series and he did not do much there. However I like some things people on prospects board write about him. Fast, gritty, two-way scorer with solid skill and great shot. Intriguing skill set, not the best season for him production wise, however he still might score 40 goals. He is Reinhart's teammate, so could you guys who watch the Oil Kings share some thoughts? Does he compare to pre-injury Okposo?

Last edited by kuwo: 02-27-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old
02-27-2013, 07:37 AM
DeanCrandall

And once again our focus changes to draft picks before the rest of the league.

Old
02-27-2013, 08:26 AM
ferrisUML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
No description needed

Kid looks like he skates through center ice with his head down. Will not end well for him in the NHL.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo View Post
I asked this before, but I'd like to ask again. How do you feel about Curtis Lazar, if the Isles pick around 10th overall? I only saw him during the Subway Series and he did not do much there. However I like some things people on prospects board write about him. Fast, gritty, two-way scorer with solid skill and great shot. Intriguing skill set, not the best season for him production wise, however he still might score 40 goals. He is Reinhart's teammate, so could you guys who watch the Oil Kings share some thoughts? Does he compare to pre-injury Okposo?
He had dropped a bit last i heard, and thin he will end up going closer to 20 than 10

Old
02-27-2013, 09:53 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo View Post

Curtis Lazar has been red hot, leads Edmonton with 34 goals. Looks like he will go in the 10-15 range as of now so he's starting to rise again.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:01 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Nichushkin is really tempting but its not the islanders style to take this type of russian risk in the lottery portion of the draft, i don't see it happening at all.

Might we regret it? Ohhhhhh yeah. Kid is a beast, but remember if this kid signs to play in the nhl with another team. It doesn't mean he would have signed here. Even with the brooklyn factor and the russian community there.
Hey ITM, what if he attends the NHL combine and indicates that he wants to play in the NHL after his KHL contract ends. Does this make it a little easier to draft him?

Old
02-27-2013, 11:17 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Hey ITM, what if he attends the NHL combine and indicates that he wants to play in the NHL after his KHL contract ends. Does this make it a little easier to draft him?
I still don't think the Islanders touch him, especially where they will be drafting (likely 3-10).

He would be perfect for a team like Columbus to take with one of their 3 first rounders.

Old
02-27-2013, 11:24 AM
scott99

If we wind up picking 1-5, which I think we will be, I hope it's #4 and we pick Barkov. I'd hate to see Jones, Drouin, Mackinnon and Barkov go, and then we pick. Kinda like last year when we missed out on Galchenyuk at #3 and we picked #4 (though who knows, Isles still might have picked Reinhart).

Closed Thread