HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Konk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
If we wind up picking 1-5, which I think we will be, I hope it's #4 and we pick Barkov. I'd hate to see Jones, Drouin, Mackinnon and Barkov go, and then we pick. Kinda like last year when we missed out on Galchenyuk at #3 and we picked #4 (though who knows, Isles still might have picked Reinhart).
If the Isles pick 5-6 where they're slotted right now, I think they'll wind up with Lindholm.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:48 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
If the Isles pick 5-6 where they're slotted right now, I think they'll wind up with Lindholm.
Lindholm seems like the "right" pick in that spot as far as bpa(assuming jones, Mac, drouin, barkov are taken).
If you were to go D in that spot who would be your front runners? Risto, Zadorov, Pulock?

Old
02-27-2013, 04:48 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
Lindholm seems like the "right" pick in that spot as far as bpa(assuming jones, Mac, drouin, barkov are taken).
If you were to go D in that spot who would be your front runners? Risto, Zadorov, Pulock?
I wouldn't pass on Lindholm for any defenceman (other than Jones of course) but if he's gone when we pick.....

Nurse before any of the three defenceman you listed, though Pulock is close for me, I'd still go Nurse.

Old
02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
Darnell Nurse. Pulock is a little older and more polished but Nurse has a lot of upside.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:01 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I wouldn't pass on Lindholm for any defenceman (other than Jones of course) but if he's gone when we pick.....

Nurse before any of the three defenceman you listed, though Pulock is close for me, I'd still go Nurse.
That's what I thought last year, thought Forsberg and Grigorenko would go top 7 or 8 at worst, and they went 11 and 12. Lindholm could drop like they did, could be a run on D-men like there was last year. Could be

Jones
Drouin
Mackinnon
Barkov

Then something like
Ristolinen
Zadorav
Pulock
Nurse

Then
Nicushkin
Lindholm

You never know, Forsberg and Grigorenko were listed higher than were they were taken.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:06 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
You never know, Forsberg and Grigorenko were listed higher than were they were taken.
Don't pay too much attention to the lists, they are okay for a guide but they are far from perfect.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:13 PM
scott99

Quote:
Don't pay too much attention to the lists, they are okay for a guide but they are far from perfect.
Oh, believe me, I use them for entertainment purposes. BUT, if ALL the guides feel pretty much the same thing about a player, and remember, some of these guides pay their own scouts to help prepare the guides, so if guys like those two drop, it's pretty interesting. Pretty much everyone had Forsberg in the top 5. Grigs was all over the place.

Old
02-27-2013, 06:44 PM
islandermaniac

well, the scouts say that nichushkin and jones are the best two players in the draft. if jones, drouin, mackinnon, and barkov are gone when the isles pick, i might just be tempted to call nichuskin's name if i were snow (although that would be going against my personal rule about russians). the kid is, according to all accounts, head and shoulders above anyone else who could be available at the 5th pick.

Old
02-27-2013, 07:09 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
well, the scouts say that nichushkin and jones are the best two players in the draft. if jones, drouin, mackinnon, and barkov are gone when the isles pick, i might just be tempted to call nichuskin's name if i were snow (although that would be going against my personal rule about russians). the kid is, according to all accounts, head and shoulders above anyone else who could be available at the 5th pick.
For me he starts getting interesting at #7, I would make sure all potential impact players are gone before I gambled on him. These may change but I have had these groupings for quite a while (before WJC)

Top Group
S.Jones
J.Drouin
N.MacKinnon

2nd Group
Lindholm
Barkov
Nurse
Pulock

Then the (Risto, Zadorov, Monohan group). That's where I would begin to think about taking the immensely talented Nichushkin, but certainly not before the top 7.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:38 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
For me he starts getting interesting at #7, I would make sure all potential impact players are gone before I gambled on him. These may change but I have had these groupings for quite a while (before WJC)

Top Group
S.Jones
J.Drouin
N.MacKinnon

2nd Group
Lindholm
Barkov
Nurse
Pulock

Then the (Risto, Zadorov, Monohan group). That's where I would begin to think about taking the immensely talented Nichushkin, but certainly not before the top 7.
Since we're making lists, can I play??

Pure potential, no consideration of passport or KHL deals.

Top tier

Jones
Nichushkin
MacKinnon
Drouin
Barkov (Top 5 tier)

Lindholm
Monahan
Ristolainen (Top 8 tier)

Zadorov
Pulock
Nurse (Top 11 tier) (Top 11 tier)

***Sleeper to crack this group is Anthony Mantha. 6'4 180 pounds and 45 goals in 60 games... 45 goals in 60 games in the QMJHL... How come this kid never gets mentioned??

Hunter Shinkaruk is on just about every top-10 list I've looked at, but the stats don't blow me away enough to select a 5'11 175 pound winger in the top 10. Drouin and MacKinnon are on another level.

I'm gonna fax my list over to Garth now...

Old
02-27-2013, 10:13 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
I'm really torn about Nicushkin. That 2 year contract can turn into another 2 year contract. That being said, if its only 2 years, most Islander's prospects aren't coming to the Isles until 2 years after their draft year anyway, so it doesn't matter if he plays 2 years in Russia or Juniors. It didn't hurt Tarasenko. But look at Kuznetsov for Washington, will he ever come over ? The whole KHL thing scares me.

"Hey ITM, what if he attends the NHL combine and indicates that he wants to play in the NHL after his KHL contract ends. Does this make it a little easier to draft him?"

Good point about the 2 year contract. As you said, most picks usually spend at least two years, if not more, being developed in juniors before making the team after being drafted. Even top-5 overall picks like Strome, Nino (in a pinball type of way), and most likely Reinhart spend 2-3 years being developed in juniors, so if Nicushkin comes to the combine and expresses a strong desire to come to North America after his two year contract, what do you do???

I think you must look at the point in the draft where his grade is that significantly higher than the players left on the board, and you make that gamble. Some teams may not consider him until the third round because of their stance on the Russian factor. Other teams may take him top-10. It really is a crap shoot. I guess you just have to wait for the interviews and off-season scouting process to convene before deciding. If I'm the Isles, after the top 12 picks, I'd easily consider taking him. We have a deep prospect pool. We need a difference maker to play with Tavares alot more than another 2nd/3rd liner. I'd gamble on him after the top 10.

As ITM said, Columbus is in the best position to take him with their 3 first rounders. If we happened to fall out of it (I hope we don't), I wonder if the Isles could get a first rounder for Visnovsky as a playoff rental?? Steep price just for a one season playoff rental. Probably a second rounder more likely, but I'd love to see every effort made to resign Vis rather than trade him anyway. Point I was making, if we could somehow manage to get our hands on a second first rounder, I'd use one of those picks to gamble on Nicushkin.

Old
02-27-2013, 10:27 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Wow, I just watched a few videos on Darnell Nurse. Ok, I have to change everything again!!! lol..... Seriously, Button gave him top grades for skating, competitiveness and hockey sense..... He called him an elite defenseman in the making... I didn't realize he could skate that well for a big, tough guy..... If I can't have any of the top 5, I want Nurse at 6....... Here's my new tier:

Jones
Nicushkin
MacKinnon
Drouin
Barkov

Nurse

Lindholm
Monahan

etc etc

** Updates of my rankings are given in real time as I eat popcorn, watch videos, and change my expert opinion every other youtube video I watch.. Like a true expert!!

How about this in a few years:

Nurse Reinhart

Hamonic Mayfield

Pedan Donovan

Pelech De Haan

wow..... that's not even considering Pokka, Russo, Kichton or current Isles MacDonald or Strait.

Old
02-28-2013, 01:25 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post

** Updates of my rankings are given in real time as I eat popcorn, watch videos, and change my expert opinion every other youtube video I watch.. Like a true expert!!
That's because you left the beer out of that equation.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Darnell Nurse. Pulock is a little older and more polished but Nurse has a lot of upside.
And he'd be a better sell in Brooklyn...

Old
02-28-2013, 09:17 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Indeed. Nurse is climbing and I think he will end up being the consolation prize behind Jones as the second drafted defenseman in the draft.

From what I've read, albeit it's not a lot, Nurse has stepped up this year when injuries hit the Greyhounds blueline. Scouting reports say he is a big, mean, defenseman who can skate and put up points. He's been shaky in his own zone, but has improved with more responsibility and ice time. A top pairing of Nurse and Reinhart would be scary.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:00 AM
scott99

Quote:
Wow, I just watched a few videos on Darnell Nurse. Ok, I have to change everything again!!! lol..... Seriously, Button gave him top grades for skating, competitiveness and hockey sense..... He called him an elite defenseman in the making... I didn't realize he could skate that well for a big, tough guy..... If I can't have any of the top 5, I want Nurse at 6....... Here's my new tier:

Jones
Nicushkin
MacKinnon
Drouin
Barkov

Nurse

Lindholm
Monahan

etc etc

How about this in a few years:

Nurse Reinhart

Hamonic Mayfield

Pedan Donovan

Pelech De Haan

wow..... that's not even considering Pokka, Russo, Kichton or current Isles MacDonald or Strait.
With the immediacy of Youtube, and the access to videos of the prospects, every prospects video can make them look great. Except for Loic Leduc, our incredible 4th round pick in 2012.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:48 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
So Nurse is going to be a big sell in Downtown Brooklyn because he is black (albeit very light skinned)?? haha.. I love it....... I highly doubt the Black Community is going to raise up in support of the Isles because of the new light skinned black dude on the blue line.. The same that I don't see one extra black guy in the seats at Nassau Coliseum since Okposo, nor did I did any more Asians when Richard Park was in the lineup... But it's a hopeful thought.... Maybe Seth Jones would be a better sell since his dad actually is an assistant coach with the Brooklyn Nets (Popeye Jones)...

Old
02-28-2013, 01:44 PM
scott99

Quote:
So Nurse is going to be a big sell in Downtown Brooklyn because he is black (albeit very light skinned)?? haha.. I love it....... I highly doubt the Black Community is going to raise up in support of the Isles because of the new light skinned black dude on the blue line.. The same that I don't see one extra black guy in the seats at Nassau Coliseum since Okposo, nor did I did any more Asians when Richard Park was in the lineup... But it's a hopeful thought.... Maybe Seth Jones would be a better sell since his dad actually is an assistant coach with the Brooklyn Nets (Popeye Jones)...
I went to a few extra games when Mathieu Schneider was an Islander, because I'm Jewish.

Old
02-28-2013, 02:02 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
The guy would have to be a star imo...If we Landed Jones and he lived up to the hype there is no doubt in my mind that many black fans will take notice and look up to him and want to support him...

Old
02-28-2013, 02:12 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Actually, don't discount Richard Park's Korean following. Unfortunately, there aren't that many die hard Korean hockey fans on LI (when I lived there) yet he was very well known to people in the Korean community. My parents knew who he was and they know NOTHING about hockey.

But to get back on topic, I don't care what race or nationality they are... I want the best player period. If we're at #1, I want Jones. If we're in position and Nurse is the one, you pick him. Except for Russians, it's all about the KHL/NHL Russian factor with them.

Old
02-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Hipster Doofus

Jones is the no doubter anywhere. Pulock has a RH shot while Nurse is a lefty, given we took Reinhart, not sure I go back to back like that. That being said, gotta like his upside.

Our only righty shots on the blueline longterm are Hamonic then Pokka and Mayfield.

Old
02-28-2013, 11:01 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Jones is the no doubter anywhere. Pulock has a RH shot while Nurse is a lefty, given we took Reinhart, not sure I go back to back like that. That being said, gotta like his upside.

Our only righty shots on the blueline longterm are Hamonic then Pokka and Mayfield.
Kichton isnt usually listed as a right handed shot for some reason, but he is

Old
02-28-2013, 11:10 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

I find Nurse intriguing. Damn you Petrocelli.

I still want MacKinnon. I think he would be the Yang to Tavares' Ying. I could care less which plays center.

Of course if Jones materialized you take him, but there is no way we get that lucky.

Old
03-01-2013, 06:52 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I find Nurse intriguing. Damn you Petrocelli.

I still want MacKinnon. I think he would be the Yang to Tavares' Ying. I could care less which plays center.

Of course if Jones materialized you take him, but there is no way we get that lucky.
Pointed Stick (I just blushed when i said that)..... I would def take MacKinnon over Nurse. Right now i have Nurse 6th rated, but i would actually take him 5th, due to the fact one of the guys i have ranked ahead of him, Nicushkin, i would pass on in the top 7 or because of his KHL deal...... Just take Nicushkin to Brighton Beach and Coney Island to see all the hot Russian girls down there and he'll feel right at home...

Old
03-01-2013, 08:16 AM
IslandersFan17

I don't remember a lot of Reinhart talk until closer to the draft. Any chance Nurse has that same rise/impact on the top five?

I mean Jones, Mac, Barkov, Drouin... Nicushkin who I loved head and shoulders above anyone else in this class is undraftedable. So who else would be in the top five over Nurse? Lindholm?

Closed Thread