HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 11:18 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Central Scouting has Lazar number 20 North American.
So right in our range. Considering he's teammates with Reinhart, I'm sure the Isles have done their homework on Lazar.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:31 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
So right in our range. Considering he's teammates with Reinhart, I'm sure the Isles have done their homework on Lazar.
I could def see a Lazar in the 1st and Jarry later for the Isles

Lets get them Oil Kings

Old
04-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Degeneration Rex

Others who have drawn some attention here, Bo Horvath (15) and Kerby Rychel (17).

Old
04-24-2013, 11:38 AM
boredmale

The Islanders might be smart to trade down 4-5 spots(assuming we pick 15-20th) and pick up an addition second rounder

Old
04-24-2013, 11:50 AM
doublechili

Not sure if this has already come up, but would anyone consider making a mega-offer for the 1st overall pick at the draft in order to pick Seth Jones? I can't even imagine what it would take. Reinhart, Nino, Isles' 2013 1st, +?

BTW, this would have as much to do with marketing as it would with hockey (see Brooklyn connection and JayZ wanting to sign Jones to a marketing/endorsements contract).

Old
04-24-2013, 11:50 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
The Islanders might be smart to trade down 4-5 spots(assuming we pick 15-20th) and pick up an addition second rounder
I wouldn't mind this at all....this draft is pretty deep imo...there will be plenty of talent in the 2nd round...

Old
04-24-2013, 11:51 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I could def see a Lazar in the 1st and Jarry later for the Isles

Lets get them Oil Kings
Jarry is the third rated North American goalie.

Old
04-24-2013, 11:55 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Not sure if this has already come up, but would anyone consider making a mega-offer for the 1st overall pick at the draft in order to pick Seth Jones? I can't even imagine what it would take. Reinhart, Nino, Isles' 2013 1st, +?

BTW, this would have as much to do with marketing as it would with hockey (see Brooklyn connection and JayZ wanting to sign Jones to a marketing/endorsements contract).
I would have no problem trading some young guys, but I need a younf prime player in return....

Jones looks like the real deal but he is still just a prospect and don't think we give all that up for just another prospect.. I respect is talent and would LOVE to have him on the squad but at this point it just is not realistic

Old
04-24-2013, 11:57 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Jarry is the third rated North American goalie.
Whats your point? that hes not that good? or that he wont be there in the 3rd round?

Old
04-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Whats your point? that hes not that good? or that he wont be there in the 3rd round?
Never implied that Jarry was no good, just gave the Central Scouting rating for what that's worth. Personal opinion he does not make it to third round, think he will go sooner.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:26 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Never implied that Jarry was no good, just gave the Central Scouting rating for what that's worth. Personal opinion he does not make it to third round, think he will go sooner.
you may be correct...He;s very talented and has not had the chance to start and show what he can really do...
Im hoping that the depth of the offensive and defensive talent in this draft will push him back towards us..

I do agree that he will most likely be gone in the 2nd though..

Old
04-24-2013, 12:31 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

It's funny this thread is finally starting to get some play since we clinched last night. You could almost see tumbleweeds and hear crickets in here.

It's kind of weird not discussing the cream of the crop prospects, but I don't mind it at all. We have everything we need in the system to continue to improve now IMO, this draft might be the one when Snow finally pulls off a deal and includes our 1st rounder. The Visnovsky move has turned out to be a major coup and it only cost us a mid-late 2nd. I hope there is some major salary cap related carnage this offseason because we could make out like bandits.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:33 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It's funny this thread is finally starting to get some play since we clinched last night. You could almost see tumbleweeds and hear crickets in here.

It's kind of weird not discussing the cream of the crop prospects, but I don't mind it at all. We have everything we need in the system to continue to improve now IMO, this draft might be the one when Snow finally pulls off a deal and includes our 1st rounder. The Visnovsky move has turned out to be a major coup and it only cost us a mid-late 2nd. I hope there is some major salary cap related carnage this offseason because we could make out like bandits.
agreed, I don't even really care about the draft at this point and since 2008 It was all I cared about...

The Viz-Hickey pairing has been great...Viz is a +11 and Hickey is a +9

if we make a pick then I look at the guys in the later rankings but yes this is the perfect time for Garth to pull off a move involving the 1st rounder...Wont hurt our system one bit imo

Old
04-24-2013, 12:39 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
agreed, I don't even really care about the draft at this point and since 2008 It was all I cared about...

The Viz-Hickey pairing has been great...Viz is a +11 and Hickey is a +9

if we make a pick then I look at the guys in the later rankings but yes this is the perfect time for Garth to pull off a move involving the 1st rounder...Wont hurt our system one bit imo
Garth should just offer all of his picks to move up into the top 5 or something and be done with it. That way we can get criticized again because all of this good mojo from us AND fans of other teams is creeping me out.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Konk

Quote:
Central Scouting has Lazar number 20 North American.
Central Scouting's lists aren't really a good barometer, they're more for reference. If you want to gauge where Lazar will go wait for Bob McKenzie's list.

Lazar is the type that can go early or drop late as teams have varying opinions on him. Bo Horvat is similar in that sense. Someone in the top 15 could really value one of these guys and they'll be off the board before the Isles get a chance.

Old
04-24-2013, 12:52 PM
Degeneration Rex

Agree, lists are fun to look at but it's true McKenzie"s list seems to be the closest to what actually happens.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:10 PM
seabass45

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post

Is Jones that much better than Reinhart? I'd consider it, I guess, but I think it's more likely that the Isles trade them for an established young star. The hype says that Jones can step right in, but the same has been said for other top dman picks and look how that's gone (Larsson, Hedman come to mind).

Old
04-24-2013, 02:37 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
Is Jones that much better than Reinhart? I'd consider it, I guess, but I think it's more likely that the Isles trade them for an established young star. The hype says that Jones can step right in, but the same has been said for other top dman picks and look how that's gone (Larsson, Hedman come to mind).
Reinhart isn't even in the same ballpark as Jones. He's like in the Yankees AA practice field in Tampa, while Jones is hanging with A-Rod and Jeter at Steinbrenner Stadium. Jones is way better than Larsson and Hedman as well. They've been talking about Jones since he was 15, best defensive prospect in a generation. I've seen him play, and I believe the hype.

Old
04-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
IMO and my opinion is worthless, he is the best d prospect since Pietrangelo and Doughty but i think he will be better then booth. I am not big on comparisions, but if he were to hit max potetial he could be Ray Bourquish and if he does not he will be a better version of Braydon Coburn. I also think he could step in right now and play top 4 minutes with the Isles. It would be a major overpayment to try and get him. Think Nino,Strome and a 1st and I don`t think that does it.
I think this may be the year the Isles trade down and draft a goalie like Fucale. I could picture them trading there 1st to phili for Phili`s 1st in 2014, 2nd in 2013 and 2014 give or take a pick or player or 2.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:25 PM
CodeE

FWIW, I'm drafting the Islanders in a hfboards mock draft where posters draft for their favorite team. Had pick #20 and was looking at the following board:

Quote:
1. FLA HockeyRulez selects: Nathan MacKinnon, C, Halifax (QMJHL)
2. COL Hasbro selects: Seth Jones, D, Portland (WHL)
3. CAR DaveG selects: Jonathan Drouin, LW, Halifax (QMJHL)
4. TB Backstrom #19 selects: Elias Lindholm, C, Brynas (Elitserien)
5. NSH MDZ selects: Aleksander Barkov, C, Tappara (SM-liiga)
6. CGY Hitmen Heart selects: Valeri Nichushkin, LW, Chelyabinsk (MHL)
7. EDM Joey Moss selects: Sean Monahan, C, Ottawa (OHL)
8. PHI BillyShoe1721 selects: Darnell Nurse, D, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
9. BUF Jesker selects: Rasmus Ristolainen, D, TPS (SM-Liiga)
10. NJ kaelanstorm selects: Anthony Mantha, RW, Val-d'Or (QMJHL)
11. PHX 7even selects: Hunter Shinkaruk, LW, Medicine Hat (WHL)
12. DAL Modo selects: Alexander Wennberg, LW, Djurgarden (Allsvenskan)
13. DET Cup selects: Nikita Zadorov, D, London (OHL)
14. WPG Holden Caulfield selects: Frederik Gauthier, C, Rimouski (QMJHL)
15. CBJ Timeless Winter selects: Kerby Rychel, LW, Windsor (OHL)
16. CBJ (via NYR) Timeless Winter selects: Max Domi, C, London (OHL)
17. BUF (via MIN) Jesker selects: Ryan Pulock, D, Brandon (WHL)
18. WSH Langway selects: Bo Horvat, C, London (OHL)
19. OTT Hale The Villain selects: Andre Burakowsky, LW, Malmo (Elitserien)
At the end of the day I wanted to take the home run swing so I narrowed it down to Erne, Morrissey, and Lazar, choosing Erne in the end because Tavares could use a talented power forward on his wing.

Still should give you guys a decent idea that we are absolutely out of range for a lot of the top guys, but there should definitely be some interesting players available when it's time to draft.

Old
04-24-2013, 04:43 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
FWIW, I'm drafting the Islanders in a hfboards mock draft where posters draft for their favorite team. Had pick #20 and was looking at the following board:

At the end of the day I wanted to take the home run swing so I narrowed it down to Erne, Morrissey, and Lazar, choosing Erne in the end because Tavares could use a talented power forward on his wing.

Still should give you guys a decent idea that we are absolutely out of range for a lot of the top guys, but there should definitely be some interesting players available when it's time to draft.
Lazar would be my pick

Old
04-24-2013, 05:23 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Either Lazar, Zykov, or Morrisey for me. I don't know much about Erne.

Old
04-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

You guys can all stop with the pick predictions because this is what will happen!!

Islanders trade Nino and the #1 pick in 2013 Draft to Florida for there #1 overall pick and draft Seth Jones.

Old
04-25-2013, 04:13 PM
InformTheMasses

The Rychel pick at 15 stings. I really want him wherever the Isles pick.

Three Man Race at 20

My preference would be

1. Robert Hagg
2. Curtis Lazar
3. Valentin Zykov

Old
04-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Konk

I've said it a few times here, Lazar is my favorite player in this draft. Unfortunately I think he's going to be highly sought after and I have a feeling he won't be around for the Islanders to select.

I could honestly see Minnesota picking Lazar, Ottawa grabbing Horvat, and the Isles choosing between Burakovsky and Rychel. In that scenario I would expect them to take Burakovsky, who is not as developed as Rychel, but may have more long-term upside. That's typically what the Islanders draft for is ultimate upside, not immediate impact.

Ryan Hartman is also intriguing.

Closed Thread