HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 05:21 PM
InformTheMasses

vCash: 500
Islander 1st round picks since Garth Snow took over.

Bailey, Tavares, de Haan, Strome, Nelson, Nino, Reinhart.

The one thing these players have in common is that they are all leaders. High Character guys that know the game really well and are known for their intelligence on and off the ice.

The one exception is Nino. (honestly I think the Islanders were locked in on Ryan Johansen and when CBJ surprised everyone and took Johansen, the Isles decided to take his teammate and WJC star) I also think this is why they traded up into the first round to get Brock Nelson in order to get that heady center with size. (This is just a 'theory' I have )

If a guy like Rychel is on the board I think they take him, he has those attributes in spades. I think Ryan Hartman of Plymouth (OHL) is a candidate as well for the same reasons.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:43 PM
Beastrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post

The one thing these players have in common is that they are all leaders. High Character guys that know the game really well and are known for their intelligence on and off the ice.

If a guy like Rychel is on the board I think they take him, he has those attributes in spades. I think Ryan Hartman of Plymouth (OHL) is a candidate as well for the same reasons.
Do you know anything about Nicolas Petan? He put up crazy numbers for the portland winterhawks im guessing that the huge knock is his size only 5'9 and that he played on the winterhawks but 120 points for a 17 year old damn.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Konk

Quote:

The one exception is Nino. (honestly I think the Islanders were locked in on Ryan Johansen and when CBJ surprised everyone and took Johansen, the Isles decided to take his teammate and WJC star) I also think this is why they traded up into the first round to get Brock Nelson in order to get that heady center with size. (This is just a 'theory' I have )

Definitely possible and he would be a good pick.

Burakovsky is also very intelligent and a high character player, I wouldnt be surprised if either one was the Islanders pick and would be pleased either way.

Old
04-25-2013, 06:09 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
Do you know anything about Nicolas Petan? He put up crazy numbers for the portland winterhawks im guessing that the huge knock is his size only 5'9 and that he played on the winterhawks but 120 points for a 17 year old damn.
In the first round? I wouldn't touch Petan. I take nothing away from the season he had. He is having an excellent season (Dont forget hes playing for a power house and skating next to Ty Rattie). I think 5'9" is a generous listing, and I dont think he weighs 165 lbs with ALL of his equipment on. Too many things have to go right for him to make him a worthwhile 1st round pick even if it is 20 overallISH.

If I'm going to take a diminutive sized player it would be Hartman or J.C Lipon. Lipon is an overager and played for Team Canada this year. He plays with a lot more jam. He got his height bumped up to 6'0" this season, but pretty sure he isn't. Even still he could be a real solid player and is a much more complete player, albeit not as explosive.

Interesting thing about Lipon is that he will turn 20 in July (He's also that elusive Right Handed Shot/RW). He could sign and suit up for Bridgeport right away. He might need a year or two there, but he could be a guy who makes it to the show pretty quick for a late 1st round pick. I like his game too.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:07 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:

I'm not sure if Nino is a high character guy.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:09 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Yeah, I said there was one exception and why I THINK the Islanders took him.

Old
04-25-2013, 07:14 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah, I said there was one exception and why I THINK the Islanders took him.
I didn't read that. I was freaking out once I read what they all have in common. My bad

Old
04-26-2013, 02:25 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
At the time of the draft, most scouts labeled Nino as being a character player. As far as I can tell, it wasn't until the trade demand that people started to question his character.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:36 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
At the time of the draft, most scouts labeled Nino as being a character player. As far as I can tell, it wasn't until the trade demand that people started to question his character.
Exactly. Wasn't Nino singlehandedly responsible for the Swiss success in the WJC? I always had the notion that he also was one of these focused, reliable, character types that all teams crave, but of course that might have changed.

I think Snow's had that strategy all along looking for good lockerroom guys with lots of character, not just in the 1st round but in later rounds too. After all he drafted the likes of Cizikas and Martin as well as no-show guys like Clark for being the types they are.

And for once, it feels so good not having to look at the top five of this draft but more at the guys down the middle of the 1st round!

Old
04-27-2013, 06:42 AM
MichaelK

So in the latest mock draft in the Mock Draft forum I was able to steal Swedish forward (although listed as a LW I think he offers some flexibility) Alexander Wennberg

Old
04-28-2013, 04:02 PM
StrongIslanders90

If we end up will Anthony Mantha I would be esstatic...

Old
04-28-2013, 04:22 PM
kuwo

Michael McCarron from USNTDP could be an excellent third round pick if he's still available. Huge right-handed aggressive winger...watched some of USA WHC U18 games, he really created havoc every time he was around the net and actually looked like a fine skater with solid skill and shot...

Old
04-28-2013, 09:10 PM
LAIslanderFan

Since the Islanders finished better then 14 teams, are they guaranteed the 15th pick in the lottery, or will the playoffs determine where they're drafting?

If the playoffs will be the determining factor, and the Isles are knocked out by the penguins, will that guarantee the 15th pick?

Old
04-28-2013, 09:19 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Since the Islanders finished better then 14 teams, are they guaranteed the 15th pick in the lottery, or will the playoffs determine where they're drafting?

If the playoffs will be the determining factor, and the Isles are knocked out by the penguins, will that guarantee the 15th pick?
If Islanders get knocked out in round 1 or 2 we pick 15. If we make the Semi Finals we pick 27th, if we lose in the Stanley Cup finals 29th and win the Stanley Cup we pick 30th.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
If we end up will Anthony Mantha I would be esstatic...
Considering where they ended up in the standings, I agree Mantha at 15 would be a great pick.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:05 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

I haven't been paying attention to the draft rankings for a while (playoffs baby), but I'd be very intrigued with Ristolainen at #15. Not sure if he'd be available, but I love the idea of adding a big RHS d-man like him. Hedge our bets with Mayfield and Risto.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:39 PM
steveat

This draft we have a lot of assets to play with

Think about it. We have not only prospects that can pitch in next year, but actual players than are can add to a teams scoring.

We can trade rights to Streit, Boyes, Aucoin, Reasoner...you might laugh, but there are a ton of teams missing bottom 9 players and any of these guys can fill a void.

Add people like Kitchton, Donovan, Hickey, Finley (we created value for Hickey and Finley), Tim Thomas, Jonessu..

This draft..maybe outside the top 3....i think we have a fair shot ...IF we want to. I say outside the top 3 because I don't think any team picking in the top 3 will trade for anything, unless it is massive overpayment.

Realistically, we could trade back in the top 10 and possibly the top 5. (my opinion)

Old
04-29-2013, 01:48 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

I think we should either stand pat or use the pick to bring in a defenseman. If we keep the pick, A PMD would be ideal, and there's a chance that one or two of Pulock, Ristolainen, Morrissey, Hagg will be there at 15(if that's where we end up). We could also use some depth at wing, where a guy like Mantha or Erne could be on the board. Or of course, the goalie Fucale. Having him could be a great backup plan in case both Poulin and Nilsson flop. Even if one of them does pan out, we can impliment a 1A/1B type of situation once Fucale is ready; or we can use him as trade bait since there always seems to be teams looking for a potential franchise goaltender.

Either way, the Isles should have a lot of options at the draft. I believe that our forward group should be set, once you replace Boyes and Aucoin with Strome and Nelson, respectively. You can even replace Joensuu with Anders Lee, depending on how JJ looks in the postseason. We only have a few holes, and a ton of picks, prospects, and cap space to address them. This team is really starting to take shape.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:56 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
We can trade rights to Streit, Boyes, Aucoin, Reasoner...you might laugh, but there are a ton of teams missing bottom 9 players and any of these guys can fill a void.
Striet might get some interest(trading negotiating rights), but the other 3 no teams will give up any assets just for negotiating rights, they will just wait till July 1. All 3 are a dime a dozen type players

Old
04-29-2013, 03:16 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Striet might get some interest(trading negotiating rights), but the other 3 no teams will give up any assets just for negotiating rights, they will just wait till July 1. All 3 are a dime a dozen type players
the most we could get for the rights to Striet would be a 5th-7th rounder

In a perfect world

EDM wins the Draft Lottery

and we trade

Rights to Striet,Sudstrom,and NYI 1st for EDM 1st and we draft Jones and call it a day....

I could dream right....

EDM wins they take Mackinnon or Jones and don't look back imo

I Always believe in BPA but I would love a winger like Mantha or Zykov...

Old
04-29-2013, 03:23 PM
boredmale

Quote:
I can see a 4th rounder(or 5th at worst)

Quote:
Rights to Striet,Sudstrom,and NYI 1st for EDM 1st and we draft Jones and call it a day..
No way the Oilers make this deal if he had Streit signed to a cap friendly deal for the next 3 years. The Oilers don't even make this deal(Rights to Striet,Sudstrom,and NYI 1st for EDM 1st) if say a team below them wins the lottery and they pick 8th

Old
04-29-2013, 03:56 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

In a perfect world

EDM wins the Draft Lottery

and we trade

Rights to Striet,Sudstrom,and NYI 1st for EDM 1st and we draft Jones and call it a day....

I could dream right....

EDM wins they take Mackinnon or Jones and don't look back imo

I Always believe in BPA but I would love a winger like Mantha or Zykov...
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I can see a 4th rounder(or 5th at worst)

No way the Oilers make this deal if he had Streit signed to a cap friendly deal for the next 3 years. The Oilers don't even make this deal(Rights to Striet,Sudstrom,and NYI 1st for EDM 1st) if say a team below them wins the lottery and they pick 8th
see bolded underlined please

Old
04-29-2013, 04:26 PM
GilliesGirlie

How nice to not be excited about the draft lottery!

Old
04-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliesGirlie View Post
I'm proud to say this is the first year I had no idea when it was even going on until the day of in quite a while

Old
04-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliesGirlie View Post
Since I am used to watching the lottery might as well see who gets Seth Jones.

Closed Thread