HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2013, 12:31 PM
scott99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
in no order here are some guys I like at 15.

Mantha-F
Zykov-F
Lazar-F
Pulock-D
Risto-D
Horvat-F
Zadorov-D
McCoshen-D my sleeper
I also like Max Domi F, he looks like the kinda forward who can actually hang with Tavares, good speed and very creative. Also very physical (not like his dad, but 10x more talented than his dad).

I'm very intrigued by Mantha, I don't know how a 6'4" 50 goal sniper can be practically ignored. I'd be happy with Lazar, Shinkaruk, Domi, Mantha or Zykov at forward (no particular order of preference), because they are all snipers. All scored in the high 35+ (Lazar, Shinkaruk, Domi), or 40 (Zykov) or even 50 goals (Mantha). All are good to great skaters.

On D, I'd be happy with Risto, Zadorov, Pulock or Morrisey at 15.

Love the goalie Furcale from Halifax, and would not complain if we picked him at 15.

Old
05-13-2013, 01:07 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I also like Max Domi F, he looks like the kinda forward who can actually hang with Tavares, good speed and very creative. Also very physical (not like his dad, but 10x more talented than his dad).

I'm very intrigued by Mantha, I don't know how a 6'4" 50 goal sniper can be practically ignored. I'd be happy with Lazar, Shinkaruk, Domi, Mantha or Zykov at forward (no particular order of preference), because they are all snipers. All scored in the high 35+ (Lazar, Shinkaruk, Domi), or 40 (Zykov) or even 50 goals (Mantha). All are good to great skaters.

On D, I'd be happy with Risto, Zadorov, Pulock or Morrisey at 15.

Love the goalie Furcale from Halifax, and would not complain if we picked him at 15.
with mantha, i believe the only reason he's not a top 10 draft prospect with that size and shot is the consistency of his compete level. the red flag that seems to be brought up by scouts is that he has a tendency to disappear for stretches, and unlike grigorenko last year, he doesn't have the excuse of injuries or illness to fall back on. the good thing though, is that he's at least acknowledged that fact in interviews.

my first choice would be to trade the pick for other assets(preferably in a package for bernier or a top pairing D). if there are no takers and the pick is kept, then my first choice, although increasingly unlikely due to his late season surge, would be lazar if available.
after that, it's a toss-up for me between ristolainen, pulock and erne in no particular order.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:07 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
He reminds me of Matthew Dumba, not big, but plays with an edge, and provides offense. I like him at 15 as well. The one cool thing is, unless we trade down, we are gonna get a really good prospect at 15. I like this years top 20.
Morrissey is much more sound in his own zone and is not a boom/bust prospect like Dumba.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:35 PM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
You forgot Brett Lindros and Martin Kariya LOL
And don't forget Rocky Trottier . . .

Old
05-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Jester9881

Quote:

I'm very intrigued by Mantha, I don't know how a 6'4" 50 goal sniper can be practically ignored.
He's got Oleg Kvasha disorder. Size, speed, skating, hands, shot.... no drive.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:54 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
He's got Oleg Kvasha disorder. Size, speed, skating, hands, shot.... no drive.
And yet he scored 50 goals, imagine if he had drive.

Old
05-13-2013, 07:30 PM
scott99

One sleeper pick for possibly round 3. Forward Pavel Buchnevich. The guy is an amazing talent. Most draft gurus have him in their top 50, though The Hockey News doesn't even have him in their top 100. The website MyNhlDraft (a good mock website) has him going in the first round at 22. Kinda reminds me of Kuznetsov, at 6'1" 170 with the height to add weight like Kuznetsov did. Also, the "Russian Factor" may make him drop a little. He certainly has 1st round talent.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:19 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
One sleeper pick for possibly round 3. Forward Pavel Buchnevich. The guy is an amazing talent. Most draft gurus have him in their top 50, though The Hockey News doesn't even have him in their top 100. The website MyNhlDraft (a good mock website) has him going in the first round at 22. Kinda reminds me of Kuznetsov, at 6'1" 170 with the height to add weight like Kuznetsov did. Also, the "Russian Factor" may make him drop a little. He certainly has 1st round talent.
A very strong player with a great skillset. Plays with a chip on his shoulder. Amongst boys his age, there really isn't any preventing him from getting the puck, entering the opposition zone and either making a decent pass or taking an extremely dangerous shot. Coming off the right side as a lefty shot, he had a great cut to the middle followed by a strong wrister or snapshot. It's downright Ovechkian in style. Difficult to separate from the puck once he has it, even if he can pushed off his skates when attacked aggressively, so to speak.

At times, was clearly Russia's most impressive player at the recent U18, even with Nichushkin in the line-up. Did appear to seek out Valery for passes too often and could have been more selfish on a number of occasions. Looks big on the ice and can really move.

Had a lot of body language at the U18 tournament, not all of which was particularly positive. There is a possibility that the kid can be a difficult teammate, as he would sometimes shake his head and need a couple of seconds to start moving when perhaps a player hadn't accepted one of his passes optimally or hadn't given him the puck in a certain situation. Also did a lot of headshaking with respect to referee decisions and trotted back to the bench in a kind of truculent, defiant manner. Saw him yapping with opponents after the whistle on a number of occasisons.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:10 AM
kuwo

There should still be some nice talent to choose from with our 3rd rounder. My favorite is huge USA winger Michael McCarron (trending upwards however), but also guys like Baptiste and Nastasyuk from OHL could be considered. Or even slovak winger Peter Cehlárik, who played majority of last season in swedish junior league, but near the end of the season got called up to senior Lulea team and scored 3 goals, added 3 assists in 8 regular season games in SEL and then scored 1 goal in 6 playoff games. Big lanky kid with solid skill and hockey sense, skating is an issue, one of the younger players eligible (august birthdate)...

Old
05-14-2013, 08:18 AM
JKP

Quote:
Watched Fucale a ton the last two years and would be delighted to get him at 15.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:24 AM
desmond

Lazar, Horvat and Zykov likely gone by the time we pick.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:26 AM
desmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Watched Fucale a ton the last two years and would be delighted to get him at 15.
If we are taking him, might as well trade down and get the second rounder back. He might not be taken in the first round.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:38 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond View Post
Lazar, Horvat and Zykov likely gone by the time we pick.
I think Zykov will be there, if not, someone in the top ten will slip to us. I think you're right about Horvat and Lazar. Horvat is having a HUGE playoffs, 16 goals in 21 games.

Chapin, thanks for the EXCELLENT scouting report on Buchnevich. I don't think he slips to the 3rd round for us, that would be pick 75, He'd really have to slip to go there, I really feel he goes in the top 50. You really should think about going into scouting or writing for one of the draft guides, that really was some awesome insight.

I've watched tournaments and if someone asked me about a prospect, my usual response is, "yeah he looked really good", lol, your insight really impressed me. It's not the first time either that you've given such detailed insight.

Old
05-14-2013, 11:41 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond View Post
If we are taking him, might as well trade down and get the second rounder back. He might not be taken in the first round.
I'd love that, some excellent talent in the second round. That being said, IF we trade down, most likely we get a LOW first and a LOW second round pick in return. I guess it's worth it, Furcale looks like a franchise goalie, and a low 2nd round pick still is in the early to late 50's, still some good talent available there.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:06 PM
boredmale

Quote:
I'd love that, some excellent talent in the second round. That being said, IF we trade down, most likely we get a LOW first and a LOW second round pick in return. I guess it's worth it, Furcale looks like a franchise goalie, and a low 2nd round pick still is in the early to late 50's, still some good talent available there.
Depends how low we trade down.

If we trade down 4-5 spots my guess the price is our first for the other teams first + their second(which would make that second 49/50). Now if we are trading from somewhere between 21-30 that pot would have to be sweatened. I think a perfect example might be Montreal who will probably pick 25th, if they want our pick I would demand either Calgary's or Nashville's pick(36th or 34th)

Old
05-14-2013, 12:10 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Depends how low we trade down.

If we trade down 4-5 spots my guess the price is our first for the other teams first + their second(which would make that second 49/50). Now if we are trading from somewhere between 21-30 that pot would have to be sweatened. I think a perfect example might be Montreal who will probably pick 25th, if they want our pick I would demand either Calgary's or Nashville's pick(37th or 34th)
Rather than trading down, I'd rather trade up this year and try to secure that one stud piece rather than trying to build yet more depth. There comes a time when the hoarding behavior of Snow has to stop.

I'm still kind of hoping to see that rumored 'all of our picks for your 1st' scenario actually happen. The Isles are the only team with the balls (or is it insanity) to pull that off.

Old
05-14-2013, 12:12 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Rather than trading down, I'd rather trade up this year and try to secure that one stud piece rather than trying to build yet more depth. There comes a time when the hoarding behavior of Snow has to stop.
If the Islanders are hellbent on drafting a goalie i rather trade down, otherwise I have no problem staying where we are.

I also wouldn't mind a shoot for the moon type pick like Petan(but I don't think it's a smart move at 15 to do that)

Old
05-14-2013, 01:59 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
If the Islanders are hellbent on drafting a goalie i rather trade down, otherwise I have no problem staying where we are.

I also wouldn't mind a shoot for the moon type pick like Petan(but I don't think it's a smart move at 15 to do that)
IF we go for a "shoot for the moon type of pick", I wouldn't mind going for Buchnevich and then maybe try to convince him to come over for major junior hockey. He may be one of these guys who moves up in the ratings late, seems like he had a very good WU18 tournament (as per Chapin). He may slip into the first round. Maybe that's why MYNHLDRAFT.com has him going 22nd. Be interesting to see where ISS has him in their last ratings (usually around May 25th).

Old
05-14-2013, 04:01 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

I'm still kind of hoping to see that rumored 'all of our picks for your 1st' scenario actually happen. The Isles are the only team with the balls (or is it insanity) to pull that off.
I was thinking this as well, but then again what if we could get another 1st in '14 by trading down? Especially if it's one of the bottom-10 or 14 teams looking to move up from the 2nd round? Could be worth the risk, IMO.

Old
05-14-2013, 04:13 PM
StrongIslanders90

I say we trade the pick for a player or stand pat...

If there is a guy we like and think he will be there at 20, then don't risk it get the player you want....
Now if there is someone they love that hey think will go before 15 then trade up using other picks if possible....

Trading the 1st for Bernier has been talked about so much and makes so much sense that I know that its not going to happen....This is what I would like to happen FWIW

Also While Fucale seems to be the top of the goalie hill in the draft, many feel Jarry is Justas talented but has not had the opportunity of a Fucale....

If we draft a goalie early, keep in mind goalies take 4-8 years usually to start making an impact at the pro level...

So if its an 18 year old we are banking on the development and waiting anywhere from when he is 22-26 to have an impact....

Old
05-14-2013, 06:05 PM
cjdv16

Every year there's a guy who slips....

Fowler
DelZotto
Forsberg
Cheraponov

Who's the guy this year that slips and do the Isles snatch that guy at 15?

(As you can tell, I've done zero draft research for obvious reasons .... and don't plan to)

Old
05-14-2013, 09:07 PM
SDIsles34

Does anyone know how to go about getting tickets to the draft on June 30th at the Prudential Center?

I can not find them for sale through any ticket sales outlet.

Thanks in advance.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:30 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Who's the guy this year that slips and do the Isles snatch that guy at 15?
My Money is on Hunter Shinkaruk falling a bit(although I am guessing not to 14th)

Last edited by boredmale: 05-14-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old
05-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Konk

At this point count me as calling Josh Morrissey for the Islanders pick if they keep it. Too much character and lots of upside. The Isles won't pass him up.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:56 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
At this point count me as calling Josh Morrissey for the Islanders pick if they keep it. Too much character and lots of upside. The Isles won't pass him up.
We lack a PMD with his kind of upside. I'd be on board.

Closed Thread