HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2013, 06:53 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredmale
I wouldn't be surprised if a few teams are weary about using a high first rounder on him but 14 teams, I don't think so.
Yep, we'll see.

I don't know if his fall will be more Grigorenkian oder Cherepanovian, if at all.

One thing I can definitely see though is that Philly takes him.

For what it's worth, he told Russian media in Sochi that he hopes to be drafted by Philly or the Rag$. It wasn't the first time.

Then again, he's displayed some big mood swings on a number of occasions and seems to say different things every other week.

Which leads to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Nicushkin is coming to North America. He won't be playing in Russia next season. Therefore he probably gets drafted in the top 5. If he had a contract for the next 3 seasons in Russia, he might have fallen out of the top 10.
I wouldn't assume this based on a few tweets. First he signed the mandatory 2-year contract with his hometown team, then Dynamo Moscow traded for his rights - paying handsomely. Valery himself said he'd be looking to go the same route as Tarasenko, meaning 2 years at home in the KHL, then straight to the NHL.

Now he supposedly has 'torn up' his Russian contract or won't be reporting to Moscow?

I doubt seriously that the KHL is just gonna let that happen. If he did indeed sign that 2-year contract, which was never in any way disputed, I think they'll have their ways to make him live up to it.

Anything else could be likened to a political defection.

Which is naturally possible... I just wouldn't be putting any likelihood into him being in NA next season.

Old
05-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strometrooper View Post
The thing with Snow is NO ONE KNOWS what he will do. That is both good for us as a team and annoying as fans.
Indeed. And we shouldn't forget that this is the first time in his tenure where the team doesn't have a pick in the top 6.

Quote:
Would I love us to trade for Bernier, hell yeah. Will he, I have no frickin clue.
I know it's not really a great measurement stick, but Bernier played 13 games in Germany's 2nd league during the lockout and he did fine. However, we're talking about a league that is slightly below the ECHL level and he certainly didn't dominate with regularity (nor did teammate Bruno Gervais for that matter). Word is, there were more than a few goals against that had people scratching their heads.

Now, I wouldn't put too much weight in his layoff venture to Germany, but I would say that it's terribly difficult to say what a kid like this can do with the starter's job handed to him WHEN he's been a permanent back-up to someone as good as Quick. It's not an envious situation, but there's certainly no telling how he's going to react from playing a quarter or less of his team's games for 3 years running.

This said, he is coming off a real good stint this past season, although again it's clear who is given the reins once PO time comes.

In any case, I guess I'm afraid of what he would cost AND what it would say about where things stand with Poulin, Nilsson and Koskinen (who again had a monster season in Finland).

Old
05-24-2013, 07:31 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
I gather from responses of people here that no one thinks Snow is gonna do anything drastic in this draft. What I mean is no one is saying Snow will try to move up in the draft. I think there is a good chance he will as there are a lot of good bodies in the top 10. Waiting for someone to drop is too late IMO.
My guess is that the team already knows EXACTLY who they want at 15 and that it's a guy they expect to be there. I'd bet that even if some bigger name drops considerably, they'll still take the kid they've been targeting there the whole time.

Who that is is an entirely different story. History says it'll be a guy who spent this past season in North America.

Quote:
While I really like us to pick Zadarov, I am not sure the team will make an 8th straight D pick. Snow has been saying he wants to build the team organically through the draft...well, we need star wingers. That is what I think he is gonna do. Either make a leap to top 3 and pick Drouin or even try for MacKinnon...at the very least do the compulsory 29 team call to see what the AVS are asking for top spot, though, I doubt they trade it.
This is something I don't see happening. A somewhat immediate answer for top six wingers will likely not be coming in this draft. A wing at 15 is a big possibility, but I'm betting that Snow already feels that Okposo, Bailey and Niederreiter are three of the top four wingers he needs in the top six heading forward. Next season will be used to start seeing if Lee or Grabner could eventually become a long-term answer there as well, although Grabner seems to have solidified himself as a 'joker' on the 3rd line with a 1st pairing PK gig. That's fine.

Then's there's the all-important question as to whether, or better yet, which of Nelson and Strome are scheduled to become a winger moving forward.

Quote:
CDH was a leap, but not a huge one and I believe that without injuries, he would have been at the very least, an NHL regular. He still might be.
Actually, this was prolly the biggest leap any GM has made at the draft in a decade or so. Maybe some others used the pick they had to take someone off the board, but no-one has come close to doing so much wheeling and dealing just to end up grabbing someone off the board.

I.e. this was as big a leap as we've seen from a GM in quite some time.

Unless I'm forgetting something...

Quote:
I am pretty sure we are going to choose a goalie...I just don't know if it should be Fucale or not or even choosing him at 15.
There are some other very good goalies that can be had later in the draft.

Old
05-24-2013, 07:49 AM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
My guess is that the team already knows EXACTLY who they want at 15 and that it's a guy they expect to be there. I'd bet that even if some bigger name drops considerably, they'll still take the kid they've been targeting there the whole time.

Who that is is an entirely different story. History says it'll be a guy who spent this past season in North America.

This is something I don't see happening. A somewhat immediate answer for top six wingers will likely not be coming in this draft. A wing at 15 is a big possibility, but I'm betting that Snow already feels that Okposo, Bailey and Niederreiter are three of the top four wingers he needs in the top six heading forward. Next season will be used to start seeing if Lee or Grabner could eventually become a long-term answer there as well, although Grabner seems to have solidified himself as a 'joker' on the 3rd line with a 1st pairing PK gig. That's fine.

Then's there's the all-important question as to whether, or better yet, which of Nelson and Strome are scheduled to become a winger moving forward.

Actually, this was prolly the biggest leap any GM has made at the draft in a decade or so. Maybe some others used the pick they had to take someone off the board, but no-one has come close to doing so much wheeling and dealing just to end up grabbing someone off the board.

I.e. this was as big a leap as we've seen from a GM in quite some time.

Unless I'm forgetting something...

There are some other very good goalies that can be had later in the draft.

You are forgetting someone - he plays for us and his name is Thomas Hickey. He was a huge reach at the time of his selection according to most.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:12 AM
boredmale

Quote:
I don't know if his fall will be more Grigorenkian oder Cherepanovian, if at all.
I don't think Grigorenko really "fell" in the sense that his stock dropped with like 1-2 months till the draft. He stock was falling by January and he basically went where alot of people expected him(hell some said they wouldn't touch him with the 25th pick)

Cherepanov's drop was at the height of we hate drafting Russian because we are scared they won't come over phase by most teams. Many teams still hold that feeling but I think more teams have loosened up on that stance. This though is a better example of a guys stock falling bigtime on draft day(as opposed to Grigs).

Quote:
One thing I can definitely see though is that Philly takes him.
Actually Philly would be one team that I wouldn't be surprised if they passed on him. My other guesses for the we will pass on Russians in the top 14 would be Nashville, Phoenix and Columbus

Old
05-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
You are forgetting someone - he plays for us and his name is Thomas Hickey. He was a huge reach at the time of his selection according to most.
Indeed he was considered a pretty considerable reach - in the weakest draft of the decade, I might add.

However, for my part, I did trickily account for this kind of thing in my example () when I wrote:
>>>
<<<

LA simply took Hickey at spot 4. I don't recall them having made a few deals to move up just to end up reaching.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:02 AM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Indeed he was considered a pretty considerable reach - in the weakest draft of the decade, I might add.

However, for my part, I did trickily account for this kind of thing in my example () when I wrote:
>>>
<<<

LA simply took Hickey at spot 4. I don't recall them having made a few deals to move up just to end up reaching.
You are correct. It was early in the morning when I skimmed your post and missed some of the finer details.

My bad.

Although in Snow's defense, deHaan wasn't a huge reach at that spot, there were just a couple of D-Men rated higher than him like Kulikov.

Old
05-24-2013, 07:35 PM
frankieboy

Quote:
You are correct. It was early in the morning when I skimmed your post and missed some of the finer details.

My bad.

Although in Snow's defense, deHaan wasn't a huge reach at that spot, there were just a couple of D-Men rated higher than him like Kulikov.
I think you just said that de Haan wasn't a reach where they took him, but most lists had him in the mid-20s. Like you said, Kulikov was there for the taking. I was telling my wife right before the pick that the Islanders were going to grab Kulikov. de Haan was a reach by about 10-15 picks.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:06 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
I think you just said that de Haan wasn't a reach where they took him, but most lists had him in the mid-20s. Like you said, Kulikov was there for the taking. I was telling my wife right before the pick that the Islanders were going to grab Kulikov. de Haan was a reach by about 10-15 picks.
I thought for sure it was going to be Kulikov as well. It was the obvious pick. That being said, Kulikov certainly hasn't blown away the NHL just yet.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I thought for sure it was going to be Kulikov as well. It was the obvious pick. That being said, Kulikov certainly hasn't blown away the NHL just yet.
I thought when they made the trade to move up from 16 to 12 they were going to take Zack Kassian a big wing to play with Tavares.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:35 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
I thought when they made the trade to move up from 16 to 12 they were going to take Zack Kassian a big wing to play with Tavares.
I thought that too with Kassian be John's version of Clark Gillies.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:53 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
I thought it was Kassian as well. Was very disappointed that it wasn't. Still am to this day actually. Kassian is close to 'arriving' and a perfect fit for JT's right side.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Degeneration Rex

Memorial Cup Sem-final
Portland 2, London 1, advance to final Sunday vs Halifax.
Rattle with the go ahead goal for Portland,
Domi with London's goal.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 05-24-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old
05-24-2013, 09:41 PM
frankieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I thought it was Kassian as well. Was very disappointed that it wasn't. Still am to this day actually. Kassian is close to 'arriving' and a perfect fit for JT's right side.
Your post actually jogged my memory. I actually wanted Kassian, although I thought the Isles would grab Kulikov because of the lack of d-prospects at the time). I was really pulling for the Kassian pick, but I was unsure because, if I remember correctly, I think Kassian either laid out Tavares or gave him a concussion. I don't recall the details, but it was something that indicated that there might be some bad blood. Still, the team needed, and stills needs, large wingers with snarl.

Old
05-24-2013, 10:27 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Memorial Cup Sem-final
Domi with London's goal.

Great stuff, I think a lot of people (myself included) thought and hoped a few months ago that MacKinnon, Druoin and Jones would face each other for the Memorial Cup. Should be fun. Can't wait for Sunday Night.

Old
05-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Degeneration Rex

Friday"s Portland vs London will be replayed at 1PM Saturday on NHL Network.

NHL Network has the championship game Portland vs Halifax live Sunday at 7 PM.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 05-25-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old
05-25-2013, 07:40 AM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Great stuff, I think a lot of people (myself included) thought and hoped a few months ago that MacKinnon, Druoin and Jones would face each other for the Memorial Cup. Should be fun. Can't wait for Sunday Night.
Go Moose Go!!

Old
05-25-2013, 07:46 AM
scott99

Quote:
My uncle and I, two draft fanatics (he's a Ranger's fan), we watch the complete draft together every year. He was hoping we picked Kassian as well, though he said, "grab Kulikov here and you've won the draft", we picked De haan and he said "bad pick, AND they gave up way too much to get him". I agreed 100% at the time, but who'd have thought he'd have so many major shoulder injuries by the time he was 20.

Old
05-25-2013, 07:50 AM
scott99

Quote:
Memorial Cup Sem-final
Domi with London's goal.
Even in defeat it seems like Domi is clutch. His Memorial Cup performance may have boosted him to the top 10, may not be there for us at 15.

Old
05-25-2013, 07:56 AM
scott99

Two guys we haven't really spoken about that might be the pick at 15 are, Andre Burakowsky, a big left wing with speed and hands, playing against the big boys in Sweden. And Pavel Buchnevich, 6'1" wing (skinny right now at 170, but so was Kuznetsov), with a ton of talent. Might be worth the risk, due to the fact we have so much forward prospect talent, any forward we pick is probably 3 years away anyway. Those 2 guys could be the pick, though I'm hoping its Domi or Mantha, in that order.

Old
05-25-2013, 08:15 AM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
I said huge reach. By that I mean taking a 2nd rounder in the 1st. 10-15 picks early is a reach, just not a huge one.

Old
05-25-2013, 09:54 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

I wanted Rundblad at the time, but I didn't mind the de Haan pick. Still don't, actually. Yeah, he's had some injury problems, but his upside is still pretty big, IMO. If he can stay healthy I can see him turning into another version of McDonagh. Maybe slightly less defensively but slightly better offensively.

I think he's a perfect fit for Hamonic's left side. If we can get a RH PMD to eventually pair with Reinhart(Letang's a UFA after next year... I can dream), I think our top-4 will be in pretty good shape going forward.

Old
05-25-2013, 09:59 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I wanted Rundblad at the time, but I didn't mind the de Haan pick. Still don't, actually. Yeah, he's had some injury problems, but his upside is still pretty big, IMO. If he can stay healthy I can see him turning into another version of McDonagh. Maybe slightly less defensively but slightly better offensively.
Sort of sucks all the injury issues De Haan has. That pick forever will be labelled as a bad pick when it's more a case of bad luck

Quote:
I think he's a perfect fit for Hamonic's left side. If we can get a RH PMD to eventually pair with Reinhart(Letang's a UFA after next year... I can dream), I think our top-4 will be in pretty good shape going forward.
Poluck is a RHD and will probably be around when we pick

Ristolainen is a RHD I would love have drop drop to us. Reinhart/Ristolainen would be an awesome 1-2 punch

Old
05-25-2013, 10:11 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Sort of sucks all the injury issues De Haan has. That pick forever will be labelled as a bad pick when it's more a case of bad luck

Poluck is a RHD and will probably be around when we pick

Ristolainen is a RHD I would love have drop drop to us. Reinhart/Ristolainen would be an awesome 1-2 punch
I really hope Risto falls to 15. If that happens and we take him, IMO we'd immediately have the best blue-line system depth in the NHL.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:13 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:

If there is a way for the Isles to move up and get Ristolainen, I think he's the perfect guy to round out the defense corps. Risto is pretty advanced and could be ready with another year in Finland and some time in the AHL to get used to the NA game. Add in a Mayfield-Pedan 3rd pairing and we've got the beastliest defense in the division in about 2-3 years.

Ristolainen-Reinhart
Hamonic-CDH/Donovan
Mayfield-Pedan
Pokka-Pelech

Of course, not all prospects pan out. That's why you stack the system to hedge your bets. I'd like our chances with that crop. Ristolainen (or Zadorov or Pulock or Nurse) would set us up defensively for a long time. I want that big, RH shot d-man though. I lusted after Larsson in 2011 and more Hamilton as he was my #1.

I think the Devils at #9 could be a trading partner. Their system is not great and if the Isles were to give them the #15 + 3rd + 4th for the #9, I'd think they would consider it. The Isles don't need picks and need a high end prospect rather than adding more depth. The Devils (with the probable loss of next year's 1st rounder) may want to trade down and get more picks to help re-stock the system. If Ristolainen is sitting there at #9 (the Devils do have Larsson who is very similar), then I hope Snow gives Lou a call.

Please, please.

Last edited by PWJunior: 05-25-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Closed Thread