HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2013, 10:58 AM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Sort of sucks all the injury issues De Haan has. That pick forever will be labelled as a bad pick when it's more a case of bad luck

Poluck is a RHD and will probably be around when we pick

Ristolainen is a RHD I would love have drop drop to us. Reinhart/Ristolainen would be an awesome 1-2 punch
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I really hope Risto falls to 15. If that happens and we take him, IMO we'd immediately have the best blue-line system depth in the NHL.
The Isles have their right handed offensive defenseman prospect in Ville Pokka. I would be suprised to see Pulock or Ristolainen picked at #15. Plus I think Ristolainen is going i

Old
05-25-2013, 10:58 AM
seafoam

I think Ristolainen is going to drop to the late first round.

Old
05-25-2013, 11:13 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I think Ristolainen is going to drop to the late first round.
Why do you say that? He's consistently highly ranked by most sources. He might fall out of the top-10, but not by much IMO.

Old
05-25-2013, 11:28 AM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Why do you say that? He's consistently highly ranked by most sources. He might fall out of the top-10, but not by much IMO.
He doesn't use his size, and when he does, he targets players smaller than him. I can remember him getting pushed over by players smaller than him at the WJCs a few times. He has all of the physical tools to become one of the best defenseman in the draft which is why he is rated in the top 15. I think when the draft is all said and done, we will see him drop to the late first or even early second.

Old
05-25-2013, 11:30 AM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
Your post actually jogged my memory. I actually wanted Kassian, although I thought the Isles would grab Kulikov because of the lack of d-prospects at the time). I was really pulling for the Kassian pick, but I was unsure because, if I remember correctly, I think Kassian either laid out Tavares or gave him a concussion. I don't recall the details, but it was something that indicated that there might be some bad blood. Still, the team needed, and stills needs, large wingers with snarl.
It was the top prospects game. He ran Tavares and injured his shoulder. I wanted him too, but would have been overjoyed at getting Kulikov. To say the strategy turned into a train wreck would be fair. There are too many names we could have had that have done well...

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 05-25-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old
05-25-2013, 01:28 PM
boredmale

In the take it for what it's worth, here is what Redline Reports(who for the sake of argument rated Tavares 3rd in his draft year) thinks about Mantha

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...eport/2125625/

Quote:
FALLING

Anthony Mantha: Will never be accused of playing with too much intensity… or heart… or effort for that matter.
and

Quote:
-A couple of observations from the early stages of the Quebec League playoffs. First off, let us begin by saying that Val-d'Or winger Anthony Mantha is a first-round talent - no question. However, if we were drafting, say… 24th overall and Mantha was the highest rated player left on our board when it came time to make the pick? Well, let's just say we would somehow manage to find someone else we liked just a little bit better.

Honestly, does this guy even have a pulse? He plays with absolutely zero fire or passion and, as we like to say: If he ain't scorin', he ain't helpin'.

At a little more than 6-3, 200 pounds with great hands, you would think teams would be lining up to take him in the top 10. And we honestly do believe that he could become a 30-goal scorer at the NHL level. But it would be the softest 30 goals in the history of goaldom. And somebody in your organization along the way would have to teach him how to at least spell the word "compete," because it's absolutely certain at this stage that he has no clue about the meaning of that word.

Old
05-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
And yet he scored 50 goals, imagine if he had drive.
In the Q....

Maybe Steve Bernier is a better example?
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=62298

Old
05-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
In the take it for what it's worth, here is what Redline Reports(who for the sake of argument rated Tavares 3rd in his draft year) thinks about Mantha

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...eport/2125625/

and
Weird timing lol.

This is exactly why I said he has "Kvasha disease"

Old
05-25-2013, 04:18 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Weird timing lol.

This is exactly why I said he has "Kvasha disease"
When every scouting report I read seems to bring up the fact he has consistency issues, that does set up some red flags. I am guessing there is some point in the first round you just say screw the consistency issues and hope he has enough skill that he is still a good player despite it but I don't believe it's 15.

It should be pointed out if Mantha was born 1 day earlier he would have been able to been drafted last year so when you comparing him to some guys you have to factor in the fact he is 6 months to a year older then some other guys.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:44 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

I'd be ecstatic with Zadorov, Nurse, Ristolainen or Gauthier..... Neither Zadorov or Nurse are going to be there at #15. It seems less and less likely that Ristolainen or Gauthier will be there either, although with many players such as Domi, Horvat and Gauthier rising, somebody has to fall, and Ristolainen may be one of those guys that falls a tier, and thus, the Isles get a crack at him...

My fall back options on defense are nothing to sneeze at in, Ryan Pullock and Mirco Mueller. Pullock gets more press, but as Mirco Mueller gets more and more comfortable with the North American game, he gets that much better and more confident. He is 6'3+ and plays a a two-way game reminiscent of that of his ex-teammate, Ryan Murray in Everett. Not a flashy player, just a guy that can play both ends of the ice, very intelligent with great size and will log many minutes. SO although #15 might be kind of high for Mueller, I like this kid alot.

Fall back options on offense to the top 10 and players such as Gauthier, Horvat and Domi are, Mantha and Zykov.... Besides Zykov and Mantha who both get thrown around alot as backup options, I'd rather have one of the defenseman (Ristolainen, Pullock or Mueller) or Gauthier, Horvat and Domi.....

one "off the board" player, I'd like to see us end up with even if it is just in a trade up, trade down with, and doesn't include us using the #15 pick on or trading it away, is Justin Bailey......... Bailey is an exciting player that looks to go in the second round (we don't have a second round pick, traded it for Visnovsky)..... If we can get a second rounder without giving up the farm, Bailey is a 6'3, right handed shot that throws the body around and scores "goal scorer's goals".. He goes hard to the net, has good hands and plays physical.....

Here's a Bailey highlight video.. PLEASE watch the highlight of this highlight video, as Bailey works from behind the net to score a goal at 4:20.. They show it in real time, then show the replay. You need to see the replay to appreciate the hard work on this goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aWzJ3zQa1U

D-men
Nurse (not gonna happen)
Zadorov (not gonna hapen)
Ristolainen (the more guys like Horvat, Domi and Gauthier rise, the better the chance)
Pullock (good chance)
Mueller (in our love of Swiss players, this 6'3 D-man is a solid two-way player.)

Forwards
Gauthier (he's my guy, but I see him moving up the charts. He will be gone).
Domi (a little too small for my liking.. we already have Cizikas, although Domi has more offensive ability.. pass)
Horvat- he's moving on up as London moved on in the Memorial Cup.. could be Snow's type of character guy.
Mantha- don't like the knocks on his compete level, but if he convinces teams that isn't a problem, how can you not like a 6'4, 50 goal scorer with great hands in traffic.
Zykov- I don't know much about him, except he scred 40 goals in his first year in North America, and he's built like a truck at 210 solid pounds. Prototypical size for a forward in today's NHL.

My sleeper: Justin Bailey.. watch the video... a 6'3 righty winger that grinds, scores and has the skill to score goal scorer's goals.... I like him alot if we trade down in the first or somehow get a 2nd rounder back!!

Old
05-25-2013, 11:00 PM
scott99

There's a video of a Mantha interview, and he mentioned that he's working on playing with more intensity because scouts told him that was a concern. The fact that he's heard what the scouts are saying, and he's working to improve himself, I don't think it's going to be an issue. We'd be dumb not to take him at 15. 6'4" and can skate and score ? Won't be the NHL for 3 years, I think he'd be worth going for the home run swing.

Old
05-26-2013, 02:38 AM
original islander

Quote:
There's a video of a Mantha interview, and he mentioned that he's working on playing with more intensity because scouts told him that was a concern. The fact that he's heard what the scouts are saying, and he's working to improve himself, I don't think it's going to be an issue. We'd be dumb not to take him at 15. 6'4" and can skate and score ? Won't be the NHL for 3 years, I think he'd be worth going for the home run swing.
I remember Torrey going for a home run swing at pick 17 for a selfish player who didn't play defense or pass by the name of Mike Bossy. Scoring ability is in many ways an instinct and size can't be taught. On the other hand a player can be motivated to play harder. At 15 I think it's a no-brainier to take Mantha.

Old
05-26-2013, 06:40 AM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
I remember Torrey going for a home run swing at pick 17 for a selfish player who didn't play defense or pass by the name of Mike Bossy. Scoring ability is in many ways an instinct and size can't be taught. On the other hand a player can be motivated to play harder. At 15 I think it's a no-brainier to take Mantha.
The problem is we've been burned by many of these players in recent times - Kvasha, Isbister to name a few. Snow's track record is targets players of certain character and drive in his draft. Mantha does not sound like he fits that criteria.

Old
05-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Two guys we haven't really spoken about that might be the pick at 15 are, Andre Burakowsky, a big left wing with speed and hands, playing against the big boys in Sweden. And Pavel Buchnevich, 6'1" wing (skinny right now at 170, but so was Kuznetsov), with a ton of talent. Might be worth the risk, due to the fact we have so much forward prospect talent, any forward we pick is probably 3 years away anyway. Those 2 guys could be the pick, though I'm hoping its Domi or Mantha, in that order.
Have been watching Burakowsky (Burakovsky) for several years now. He's definitely got a few things to like, but there's been a LOT of inconsistency in a short period of time. I don't know for sure, because he has a few nice tools, but I really don't think he's going top 20. If he does, then chances are a team saw him on a few good nights and really likes the possibilities. I'd have to say that alone amongst Swedish forwards, every team has Lindholm and Wennberg ahead of him and a number of teams might also have de la Rose ahead of him.

As for Buchnevich, he's extremely talented. The kid has game. He has undeniable skills. At the recent U18, I felt that if you only look at his skill set and impact on games, he was one of the tournaments top 3 players, hands down. This said, there's not only the Russian factor, but a lot of indicators that his head may not be screwed on right. He had a lot of negative body language in the tournament.

In light of this, I really can't say where a team is going to take him, but based on talent and the sheer promise of being an impact guy, he's definitely a top 60 pick.

Old
05-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
The Isles have their right handed offensive defenseman prospect in Ville Pokka. I would be suprised to see Pulock or Ristolainen picked at #15. Plus I think Ristolainen is going i
Glad you mention this.

I personally have my doubts that Ristolainen is going top 12. He's a thoroughbred, but there are concerns about just how much upside the guy has and he's been in a bit of a lull since the WJC whereas others have been climbing in the second half of the season.

This said, the fact that we have the righty shooting Pokka automatically means that we already have many of Ristolainen's attributes in another player, another Finn no less. With so much similar talent hanging around 8-20, I have a bit of a hard time thinking he'll be the guy the Isles will target, much less move up to get.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:14 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
This said, the fact that we have the righty shooting Pokka automatically means that we already have many of Ristolainen's attributes in another player, another Finn no less. With so much similar talent hanging around 8-20, I have a bit of a hard time thinking he'll be the guy the Isles will target, much less move up to get.
Pokka and Mayfield are the only right handed defensemen prospects we have, the rest are lefties(Reinhart, Donovan, De Haan, Pelech, Pedan). In the case of Ristolainen I wouldn't trade up for him but if he falls I seriously would consider drafting him

Russo is also a righty(and Leduc if you want to consider him a prospect)

In all reality all things being equal I will lean for a forward over defenseman, also all things being equal I am looking for right hand shots both defense and forward

Last edited by boredmale: 05-26-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old
05-26-2013, 10:20 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

I like the idea of grabbing a forward, assuming it's not a reach. Guys like Zykov, Lazar, Domi, Gauthier, Mantha, Erne, etc.

Assuming all of Nino, Nelson and Strome make the jump at some point next season, it would be nice to have another big-upside forward prospect waiting in the wings.

Old
05-26-2013, 09:33 PM
Degeneration Rex

Halifax wins the Memorial Cup, 6-4 over Portland. MacKinnon with the Hat Trick and 2 assists.

Old
05-26-2013, 09:51 PM
duster19

Any possibility fla would take a moulson and our 1st for 2 overall and get maclinnon? assiming jones goes 1. jt and mackinnon would be insanity. cant imagine any of the top 3 picks getting dealt

Old
05-26-2013, 09:56 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Halifax wins the Memorial Cup, 6-4 over Portland. MacKinnon with the Hat Trick and 2 assists.
Rex, what did you think of Mackinnon's performance. He reminds me so much of Crosby. Strong and fast, and clutch ! I think it was a great game for all the draft eligible players available in that game. Mackinnon obviously dominated, but I think Petan, Bjorkstrand and Jones all played quite well for Portland, and Drouin was no slouch with 4 assists, add in 39 saves for Fucale. But man, Mackinnon had 7 goals and 5 assists in 4 tournament games. Insane. Drouin had 2 goals and 6 assists. Great game and great tournament. Hell I'd do like last season, offer all of our picks plus 2014's #1 pick for Mackinnon, I think he's gonna be THAT special.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:02 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Rex, what did you think of Mackinnon's performance. He reminds me so much of Crosby. Strong and fast, and clutch ! I think it was a great game for all the draft eligible players available in that game. Mackinnon obviously dominated, but I think Petan, Bjorkstrand and Jones all played quite well for Portland, and Drouin was no slouch with 4 assists, add in 39 saves for Fucale. But man, Mackinnon had 7 goals and 5 assists in 4 tournament games. Insane. Drouin had 2 goals and 6 assists. Great game and great tournament. Hell I'd do like last season, offer all of our picks plus 2014's #1 pick for Mackinnon, I think he's gonna be THAT special.
Not that Fucale was terrible, but the few games I seen him play cements my opinion I don`t want to draft him 15th. If the Islanders want to pick Fucale trade down to like 25th

Old
05-26-2013, 10:09 PM
duster19

Quote:
I agree. Kid has something else.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Outstanding, assuming that Avs take Jones, Florida gets the center to build around. Dominated the tournament offensively like Crosby, his all around ability kind of reminds of Toews since he does a lot of other things besides just scoring.. Clearly elevated his game to new heights,, looks like Nate abnd Seth have pulled away from the rest of the pack. Really can't go wrong with either. MacKinnon"s game did all the talking for him, if there were any questions he put them to rest.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 05-26-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old
05-26-2013, 10:36 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Outstanding, assuming that Avs take Jones, Florida gets the center to build around. Dominated the tournament offensively like Crosby, his all around ability kind of reminds of Toews. Clearly elevated his game to new heights,, looks like Nate abnd Seth have pulled away from the rest of the pack. Really can't go wrong with either. MacKinnon"s game did all the talking for him, if there were any questions he put them to rest.
MacKinnon has got some wheels. He reminds me of Roenick more than anyone else with that speed and shot off the rush. MacKinnon and Huberdeau are going to be a nice pair for the Panthers to build their offense around.

Old
05-26-2013, 10:38 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
MacKinnon has got some wheels. He reminds me of Roenick more than anyone else with that speed and shot off the rush. MacKinnon and Huberdeau are going to be a nice pair for the Panthers to build their offense around.
Yes, he was flying out on the ice, just did it all.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 05-26-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Closed Thread