HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 07:43 AM
kuwo

vCash: 500
How about the slipping Curtis Lazar? Not the most productive year for him, but according to reports he is a fast and gritty scorer and currently leads (with Samuelsson) the Oil Kings in goals...

Old
02-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Mantha is a monster, could be Ryan Malone with a bit more skill...

I love Pulock and Nurse on D...
Nurse is one nasty player and he has skill too. Wouldn't be upset with him
if the Islanders draft from 8-15.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:33 PM
CREW99AW

Are scouts backing off earlier claims, that the 2013 draft is the best since 2003?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...of-talent.html
2013 NHL draft lacks depth of talent
Brian Costello
2013-02-05 11:40:00
There’s good news and bad news for teams getting off to sluggish starts this lockout-shortened season. The good news is there’s some high-end young talent available in the 2013 NHL draft – Nathan MacKinnon, Seth Jones and Jonathan Drouin at the head of the class – for the bottom-feeders to feast on. The bad news? Contrary to popular belief, the 2013 draft isn’t nearly as deep as scouts initially projected the past couple of seasons.

“The 2013 draft won’t come close to 2003,” another scout said. “Let’s make that clear right now. Take away the first eight or 10 picks and you’re looking at guys who can contribute on the third and fourth lines, not the first line.”

Old
02-05-2013, 02:36 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
if we lost the next two can we officially begin the "Death for Seth" campaign?

Old
02-05-2013, 02:51 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Are scouts backing off earlier claims, that the 2013 draft is the best since 2003?

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...of-talent.html
2013 NHL draft lacks depth of talent
Brian Costello
2013-02-05 11:40:00
There’s good news and bad news for teams getting off to sluggish starts this lockout-shortened season. The good news is there’s some high-end young talent available in the 2013 NHL draft – Nathan MacKinnon, Seth Jones and Jonathan Drouin at the head of the class – for the bottom-feeders to feast on. The bad news? Contrary to popular belief, the 2013 draft isn’t nearly as deep as scouts initially projected the past couple of seasons.

“The 2013 draft won’t come close to 2003,” another scout said. “Let’s make that clear right now. Take away the first eight or 10 picks and you’re looking at guys who can contribute on the third and fourth lines, not the first line.”
This will massively inflate top 10 picks values and deflate late round picks.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:08 PM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
How about we compete for a full year for a change?

Old
02-05-2013, 04:45 PM
CodeE

Quote:
I want us at the basement of the east before I start hearing any more "Moans for Jones".

Old
02-05-2013, 11:34 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
I want us at the basement of the east before I start hearing any more "Moans for Jones".
Death moans for Seth Jones? Not bad.

Old
02-06-2013, 09:06 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeE View Post
With the rest of the NHL getting their legs back and the Islanders being exposed in a few areas, might not be long until we are there.

- No top end talent outside of Tavares/Grabner

- No top tier defenders

- Weak coaching staff

etc...

Old
02-06-2013, 10:47 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
With the rest of the NHL getting their legs back and the Islanders being exposed in a few areas, might not be long until we are there.

- No top end talent outside of Tavares/Grabner

- No top tier defenders

- Weak coaching staff

etc...
To play Devil's advocate, the Isles have actually played well enough to have won both games, giving up 5 goals and only scoring 2. These non top tier defenders gave up 2.50 goals against in the last 2 games, The Isles ran into 2 great goaltending perfomances. I would say Moulson is a top end talent, all he's done is scored 30+ goals the last three seasons in a row, even on a low scoring Islander's team, not many players can claim they've scored 30+ goals 3 straight seasons. If the losing continues, yeah I'd start to worry, but the Isles are playing very solid, hard working, hard skating hockey.

Old
02-06-2013, 11:49 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
To play Devil's advocate, the Isles have actually played well enough to have won both games, giving up 5 goals and only scoring 2. These non top tier defenders gave up 2.50 goals against in the last 2 games, The Isles ran into 2 great goaltending perfomances. I would say Moulson is a top end talent, all he's done is scored 30+ goals the last three seasons in a row, even on a low scoring Islander's team, not many players can claim they've scored 30+ goals 3 straight seasons. If the losing continues, yeah I'd start to worry, but the Isles are playing very solid, hard working, hard skating hockey.
I see what you are saying but
- Coming close and winning are two different things. You are what your record says you are. Winning the battles in the game is far different than winning the battle on the scoreboard. These are two teams whom we vastly have outplayed earlier this year. Hot goaltender or not the good teams find ways to bury pucks.

- I know it seems like a stretch but Moulson does not score 30 goals unless playing with Tavares. Tavares made PA a millionaire... Johnny is almost as responsible for the goals as Moulson. That is not to say you can plug in just anyone at LW and expect that output. However, Moulson is basically useless in any other facet of the game unless right infront of the cage.

The past couple of years we have seen stretches of the Islanders making their opponents earn their points instead of just expecting them. However, you can not expect a team with those roster to not eventually be exposed. Don't get me wrong I like the additions of the Aucoin's, Boyes, etc... However, there is just not enough on this roster to compete with the division let alone the Eastern Conference.

I firmly believe that, at some point the Islanders will have to call up the Nino's, Donovan's, and eventually the Nelson's of the organization.

IMO, this is still a lottery team and will continue to be one unless they figure out a way to get some legit NHL help around Tavares and around the blueline.

Old
02-06-2013, 12:06 PM
scott99

Quote:
I see what you are saying but
- Coming close and winning are two different things. You are what your record says you are.
So you are saying the Rangers at 4-5 are a lottery team ? Going by what you are saying, we are better than the Rangers and Flyers, because "You are what your record says you are". I hate the Rangers, but I'd be shocked if they didn't turn it around and make it very far in the playoffs. That being said, though I agree that the Islanders don't have a good enough team to make the playoffs, they certainly didn't play poorly enough the last two games to be all doom and gloom, in fact, they outplayed both teams in both games. Teams go through goal scoring droughts, hopefully it's only 2 games.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:05 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
So you are saying the Rangers at 4-5 are a lottery team ? Going by what you are saying, we are better than the Rangers and Flyers, because "You are what your record says you are". I hate the Rangers, but I'd be shocked if they didn't turn it around and make it very far in the playoffs. That being said, though I agree that the Islanders don't have a good enough team to make the playoffs, they certainly didn't play poorly enough the last two games to be all doom and gloom, in fact, they outplayed both teams in both games. Teams go through goal scoring droughts, hopefully it's only 2 games.
At the time absolutely! I believe they will turn it around as well, however, until then they are what their record says they are. Why is that hard to believe? Because their roster is stacked with superstars? Most of whom find them selves being benched in the third frame of games because Torts is tired of the lack of motivation? Furthermore, the Blue Jackets would love for the Ranger to finish with a lottery record.

Outplaying teams, but not beating them is not going to get the Islanders anywhere. You need to win the battle on the scoreboard.

What I am saying is I would love for the Islanders to be in a position to draft Nichushkin and give Tavares a legit LW.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:21 PM
scott99

Quote:
At the time absolutely! I believe they will turn it around as well, however, until then they are what their record says they are. Why is that hard to believe? Because their roster is stacked with superstars? Most of whom find them selves being benched in the third frame of games because Torts is tired of the lack of motivation? Furthermore, the Blue Jackets would love for the Ranger to finish with a lottery record.

Outplaying teams, but not beating them is not going to get the Islanders anywhere. You need to win the battle on the scoreboard.

What I am saying is I would love for the Islanders to be in a position to draft Nichushkin and give Tavares a legit LW.
Nicushkin will be a 2nd round pick this year, I'be be VERY angry if we wind up with a lottery pick, and waste it on a Russian who is already signed until 2016 in the KHL. But I get your point, I'm a big Barkov fan, and wouldn't mind seeing the Isles grab him. Lotsa great prospects available in 2013.

Old
02-07-2013, 10:35 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Keep this thread warm. If the Isles do their usual month long dive we will be picking in the top two. Tonight they went three deep and with the way they played I don't see this thing turning around soon.

So would we all agree Barkov is way to dangerous to burn a top three selection on despite his skills?

Old
02-07-2013, 10:39 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Keep this thread warm. If the Isles do their usual month long dive we will be picking in the top two. Tonight they went three deep and with the way they played I don't see this thing turning around soon.

So would we all agree Barkov is way to dangerous to burn a top three selection on despite his skills?
Well there's only 4 guys I would take before him.

Jones
Lindholm
MacKinnon
Drouin

Old
02-08-2013, 09:47 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Scott, still want to defend this team after last nights performance against their supposed biggest rival? We are being exposed big time and honestly, I do not see much relief insight.

I am not crying to the heavens and being a debbie downer here. However, we are at a point where we are going to be discussing ANOTHER top five pick at the very least.

Hopefully, just hopefully, this top five pick will not want out of town.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:52 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Well there's only 4 guys I would take before him.

Jones
Lindholm
MacKinnon
Drouin
I think Barkov is the second best FORWARD in this draft. Other than Mac, there is no forward I would rate above Barkov. If I am not mistaken there is little to no Russian factor other than his father. I understand he holds Russian citizenship but plays in Finland.

Barkov might not be the most NHL ready prospect but IMO Barkov has one of the highest ceilings in this class. If I am the Islanders I would love to add someone like Barkov.

17 years old and is 6'3" and 205 that sounds absolutely awesome to me.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:53 AM
YashinWorksHard

In my opinion Barkov is the best player in this draft. Anyway, i think Snow will spend his pick in a Defense or Winger rather than a Center. We got a lot of depht with Strome, Nelson, Sundstrom, Cizikas.. but Barkov would be the best player who drafted by the Isles since Tavares, easily.

Old
02-08-2013, 10:54 AM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
Garth Snow has never drafted a player in the first round not playing in North America in his draft year.

Old
02-08-2013, 11:00 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Could we at least play 10 games with our roster at full strength (Bailey, Visnovsky), before we cash in the chips and start the draft watch??

Bailey and Visnovsky are set to join us and could really help this team. We have played 10 games, so let's give this another 10 games and look at where we are after game 20.

What's the rush to start the draft watch??

Old
02-08-2013, 11:13 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Could we at least play 10 games with our roster at full strength (Bailey, Visnovsky), before we cash in the chips and start the draft watch??

Bailey and Visnovsky are set to join us and could really help this team. We have played 10 games, so let's give this another 10 games and look at where we are after game 20.

I agree, it's still too early to write this team off.

As for the rush for the draft watch, it's been this way for a while now around here.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:49 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post

I am sorry, I like Bailey as much as the next fan. I have really stood by Josh and believe the kid does deserve a shot at the top line when he comes back. However, in way shape or form am I going to act like we are getting Corey Perry inserted into the lineup with Josh back. We are talking about a player whom has never managed more than 35 points in a season.

As far as Visnovsky. I really hope we have a PP QB but other than that I don't think Visnovsky is going to be a huge addition. I know, I know, our PP is awful so any help will be a big addition. However, in the same regard, Visnovsky is not known for being a top tier shut down defender. Thus, the Islanders will still be hurting in that area.

I am not saying all is doom and gloom. However, the additions of these two guys is not going to totally change the ship here. The course this roster is heading is still top five pick IMO.

Old
02-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
I keep looking at Seth Jones videos and i dont see anything exciting. Whats the difference between him and Erik Johnson?

Also Nathan Mackinnon looks like he hasnt hit puberty yet. At 5'10 170lbs are we seriously wanting to tank for these guys?

Old
02-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
I keep looking at Seth Jones videos and i dont see anything exciting. Whats the difference between him and Erik Johnson?

Also Nathan Mackinnon looks like he hasnt hit puberty yet. At 5'10 170lbs are we seriously wanting to tank for these guys?
I have seen Jones 10 or 12 times and he literally has the ability to control and slow down games. The kid if he stays healthy is everything he has been billed. He is a future studd and would already be in the NHL if drafted.
I can`t speak for knowing anything about Nathan Mackinnon

Closed Thread