HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

NHL and WWII

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2005, 01:10 PM
salty justice

vCash: 500
NHL and WWII

Ive heard alot recently about how neither World Wars prevented the Stanley Cup from being rewarded, and I saw that during the war, the Red Wings won 2 Cups. But, were any Americans playing during the war? I know a lot of celebrities enlisted as there was a draft at the time. So how did the war affect the league?

Old
02-06-2005, 01:12 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

The Spanish flu (which was intertwined with the First World War) was the last thing to stop the cup finals.

Old
02-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBob
Ive heard alot recently about how neither World Wars prevented the Stanley Cup from being rewarded, and I saw that during the war, the Red Wings won 2 Cups. But, were any Americans playing during the war? I know a lot of celebrities enlisted as there was a draft at the time. So how did the war affect the league?

One effect of world war II was due to train shortages, regular season overtime was abolished, and games ending after 60 minutes were called ties. We didn't see return overtime until the five minute sudden death format emerged about 40 years later. What is interesting is that 60 years ago our forefathers weren't dumb enough to come to the solution of the shootout. They new that a tie was a hell of a lot better than a win decided by that mockery of the game of hockey.

Old
02-07-2005, 12:23 AM
CRUNK JUICE

Send a message via AIM to CRUNK JUICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
One effect of world war II was due to train shortages, regular season overtime was abolished, and games ending after 60 minutes were called ties. We didn't see return overtime until the five minute sudden death format emerged about 40 years later. What is interesting is that 60 years ago our forefathers weren't dumb enough to come to the solution of the shootout. They new that a tie was a hell of a lot better than a win decided by that mockery of the game of hockey.

I was going to argue with you about shootouts and them being a "mockery of the game," but then I saw your avatar and user title and almost fell out of my chair laughing. Very nice job.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Old
02-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious Vic
I was going to argue with you about shootouts and them being a "mockery of the game," but then I saw your avatar and user title and almost fell out of my chair laughing. Very nice job.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Allright, Vicious Vic, what's so funny about a special fantastic poodle going without her special treats, pampering, ribbons, bows, etc.????? Have a heart, feed a doggie in need.

Old
02-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Icer

Quote:
According to this site, between 1939 and 1942, 90 NHL players were either drafted or enlisted for service during WW2 and the quality of the league suffered. The site doesn't say whether or not they joined the American or Canadian armed forces. I would note that the bulk of the Red Wings players (and the NHL) were Canadian and I don't think Canada ever had a draft. I'm pretty sure Canada has always prided itself on its strictly volunteer armed forces.

In the OP you mentioned Detroit won two cups during WW2. The US participated in the war from 1941 to 1945 and Detroit only won one Cup during that period (1942-1943). I checked the roster for that team at hockeydb.com and didn't see a single American born player.

Hope this helps....

Old
02-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Hawker14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer
According to this site, between 1939 and 1942, 90 NHL players were either drafted or enlisted for service during WW2 and the quality of the league suffered. The site doesn't say whether or not they joined the American or Canadian armed forces. I would note that the bulk of the Red Wings players (and the NHL) were Canadian and I don't think Canada ever had a draft. I'm pretty sure Canada has always prided itself on its strictly volunteer armed forces.

In the OP you mentioned Detroit won two cups during WW2. The US participated in the war from 1941 to 1945 and Detroit only won one Cup during that period (1942-1943). I checked the roster for that team at hockeydb.com and didn't see a single American born player.

Hope this helps....
canada did have a draft for both world wars. however, in WWII, it wasn't until the end of the war that the conscripted men were sent oversees.

http://warmuseum.ca/cwm/newspapers/c...ription_e.html

Old
02-08-2005, 10:35 PM
David Puddy

Quote:
were any Americans playing during the war?
I came across this 1970 & 2004 comparison today, and I thought you might be interested in these statistics.

1970: 98% of the NHL players were Canadians
2004: 53% of the NHL players are Canadians

Here's a link to the page at the Hockey Hall of Fame's site.

- - - - - -
Also, here's a little story about the famous Boston Bruins line of Milt Schmidt, Woody Dumart and Bobby Bauer, they were given a nickname that related to their German ancestry by Providence Reds coach Albert Leduc.

The three linemates enlisted in Royal Canadian Air Force at the same time, and played their last game against the Montreal Canadiens on January 10, 1942 before going of to the service. At the conclusion of the game, the three men were carried off the ice on the shoulders of players from both teams as the crowd gave a standing ovation.

Closed Thread