HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

NHL and WWII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2005, 01:10 PM
  #1
salty justice
Registered User
 
salty justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Albania
Posts: 7,162
vCash: 500
NHL and WWII

Ive heard alot recently about how neither World Wars prevented the Stanley Cup from being rewarded, and I saw that during the war, the Red Wings won 2 Cups. But, were any Americans playing during the war? I know a lot of celebrities enlisted as there was a draft at the time. So how did the war affect the league?

salty justice is offline  
Old
02-06-2005, 01:12 PM
  #2
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 29,771
vCash: 500
The Spanish flu (which was intertwined with the First World War) was the last thing to stop the cup finals.

Hasbro is online now  
Old
02-06-2005, 06:16 PM
  #3
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBob
Ive heard alot recently about how neither World Wars prevented the Stanley Cup from being rewarded, and I saw that during the war, the Red Wings won 2 Cups. But, were any Americans playing during the war? I know a lot of celebrities enlisted as there was a draft at the time. So how did the war affect the league?

One effect of world war II was due to train shortages, regular season overtime was abolished, and games ending after 60 minutes were called ties. We didn't see return overtime until the five minute sudden death format emerged about 40 years later. What is interesting is that 60 years ago our forefathers weren't dumb enough to come to the solution of the shootout. They new that a tie was a hell of a lot better than a win decided by that mockery of the game of hockey.

Bring Back Bucky is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 12:23 AM
  #4
CRUNK JUICE
Registered User
 
CRUNK JUICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,139
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CRUNK JUICE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Bucky
One effect of world war II was due to train shortages, regular season overtime was abolished, and games ending after 60 minutes were called ties. We didn't see return overtime until the five minute sudden death format emerged about 40 years later. What is interesting is that 60 years ago our forefathers weren't dumb enough to come to the solution of the shootout. They new that a tie was a hell of a lot better than a win decided by that mockery of the game of hockey.

I was going to argue with you about shootouts and them being a "mockery of the game," but then I saw your avatar and user title and almost fell out of my chair laughing. Very nice job.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

CRUNK JUICE is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 09:14 AM
  #5
Bring Back Bucky
Registered User
 
Bring Back Bucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Delicieux!
Country: Heard and McDonald Islands
Posts: 7,824
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious Vic
I was going to argue with you about shootouts and them being a "mockery of the game," but then I saw your avatar and user title and almost fell out of my chair laughing. Very nice job.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Allright, Vicious Vic, what's so funny about a special fantastic poodle going without her special treats, pampering, ribbons, bows, etc.????? Have a heart, feed a doggie in need.

Bring Back Bucky is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 10:46 AM
  #6
Icer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBob
Ive heard alot recently about how neither World Wars prevented the Stanley Cup from being rewarded, and I saw that during the war, the Red Wings won 2 Cups. But, were any Americans playing during the war? I know a lot of celebrities enlisted as there was a draft at the time. So how did the war affect the league?
According to this site, between 1939 and 1942, 90 NHL players were either drafted or enlisted for service during WW2 and the quality of the league suffered. The site doesn't say whether or not they joined the American or Canadian armed forces. I would note that the bulk of the Red Wings players (and the NHL) were Canadian and I don't think Canada ever had a draft. I'm pretty sure Canada has always prided itself on its strictly volunteer armed forces.

In the OP you mentioned Detroit won two cups during WW2. The US participated in the war from 1941 to 1945 and Detroit only won one Cup during that period (1942-1943). I checked the roster for that team at hockeydb.com and didn't see a single American born player.

Hope this helps....

Icer is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 12:16 PM
  #7
Hawker14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icer
According to this site, between 1939 and 1942, 90 NHL players were either drafted or enlisted for service during WW2 and the quality of the league suffered. The site doesn't say whether or not they joined the American or Canadian armed forces. I would note that the bulk of the Red Wings players (and the NHL) were Canadian and I don't think Canada ever had a draft. I'm pretty sure Canada has always prided itself on its strictly volunteer armed forces.

In the OP you mentioned Detroit won two cups during WW2. The US participated in the war from 1941 to 1945 and Detroit only won one Cup during that period (1942-1943). I checked the roster for that team at hockeydb.com and didn't see a single American born player.

Hope this helps....
canada did have a draft for both world wars. however, in WWII, it wasn't until the end of the war that the conscripted men were sent oversees.

http://warmuseum.ca/cwm/newspapers/c...ription_e.html

Hawker14 is offline  
Old
02-08-2005, 10:35 PM
  #8
David Puddy
Registered User
 
David Puddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theBob
were any Americans playing during the war?
I came across this 1970 & 2004 comparison today, and I thought you might be interested in these statistics.

1970: 98% of the NHL players were Canadians
2004: 53% of the NHL players are Canadians

Here's a link to the page at the Hockey Hall of Fame's site.

- - - - - -
Also, here's a little story about the famous Boston Bruins line of Milt Schmidt, Woody Dumart and Bobby Bauer, they were given a nickname that related to their German ancestry by Providence Reds coach Albert Leduc.

The three linemates enlisted in Royal Canadian Air Force at the same time, and played their last game against the Montreal Canadiens on January 10, 1942 before going of to the service. At the conclusion of the game, the three men were carried off the ice on the shoulders of players from both teams as the crowd gave a standing ovation.

David Puddy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.