HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was Matthew Finn The Steal Of The 2012 NHL Entry Draft?

Old
11-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Agreed. There is something to be said for players who arent flashy, but are very reliable and make good decisions both offensively and defensively. Ryan Suter is probably the best example of this in the NHL.
You and LR are right on this one, both Percy and Finn have the instincts, intelligence, Ice Q, whatever term we want to use to know less is more. There is little wasted energy with these guys. It is present the first time you watch them play, it's not a skill that can be taught, you either have it or not. You don't suddenly develop Ice Q with 3 years of minors, that is what the Leafs are leaning to the past couple of drafts, high intelligence character guys. Got to like the direction we are heading.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:03 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
You and LR are right on this one, both Percy and Finn have the instincts, intelligence, Ice Q, whatever term we want to use to know less is more. There is little wasted energy with these guys. It is present the first time you watch them play, it's not a skill that can be taught, you either have it or not. You don't suddenly develop Ice Q with 3 years of minors, that is what the Leafs are leaning to the past couple of drafts, high intelligence character guys. Got to like the direction we are heading.
I agree 100%.

But why not take that strategy? They were both 2nd picks in the order that the Leafs drafted after guys that had a specific skillset that the Leafs were looking to fill.

I relate these guys a lot to Karl Alzner. Former Calgary Hitmen captain played the game the right way. Never had the most skills on the ice but knew where to be and when to be there.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
I agree 100%.

But why not take that strategy? They were both 2nd picks in the order that the Leafs drafted after guys that had a specific skillset that the Leafs were looking to fill.

I relate these guys a lot to Karl Alzner. Former Calgary Hitmen captain played the game the right way. Never had the most skills on the ice but knew where to be and when to be there.
You made me think of something with The Hitman, Mat Dumba is often criticized for having low hockey IQ for being too noticable, but we have some(not you Showtime) saying Pulock isn't noticable, Finn is not Blacker. Almost to critique the understated effective defenceman.

I don't like to pigeon hole d men for most know I like noticable guys like Dumba and our own Morgan Rielly. I just don't understand why some posters cannot recognize both types of D men and appreciate what they are. Ryan Murray is another that some said wasn't too impressive in the subway series. I saw nothing wrong with his game.

And again when Mat Dumba plays a more conservative style some critiqued him for not being noticable in the series. Mat can't win with these guys.

Old
11-20-2012, 10:46 PM
showtime8

Quote:
You made me think of something with The Hitman, Mat Dumba is often criticized for having low hockey IQ for being too noticable, but we have some(not you Showtime) saying Pulock isn't noticable, Finn is not Blacker. Almost to critique the understated effective defenceman.

I don't like to pigeon hole d men for most know I like noticable guys like Dumba and our own Morgan Rielly. I just don't understand why some posters cannot recognize both types of D men and appreciate what they are. Ryan Murray is another that some said wasn't too impressive in the subway series. I saw nothing wrong with his game.

And again when Mat Dumba plays a more conservative style some critiqued him for not being noticable in the series. Mat can't win with these guys.
Its tough for some people to grasp this because people need to see 10 goals a game go in the opponents net and get pissed off when you let the same amount in.

I would rather have 5 defensemen play nothing but what's in the title of their position. DEFENSE. Guys like Morgan Rielly are good to have, that's not the intention of what I'm saying. But keep the puck out of the net and play a less exciting game...that's fine with me.

I look at it like this.... if you are scared to bring the puck into the corners of the defensive zone, then the team has done their job. If you see guys pulling up instead of wanting to compete for a puck, then its good. Picture guys going into the corner with Zdeno Chara, Robyn Regehr, Chris Pronger, etc. you are not going to enjoy your life for the next 60 minutes of the game.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:40 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:

Kind of like when Gunnarsson is always near the top of the disposable defenders when it comes to the future line-up of the Leafs.

He's already doing at the NHL level what people hope some prospects might be able to do in the future.

Many times I see Carl going into the boards in a puck battle and with very small maneuvers comes out with the puck without wasted energy trying to bang for bang sake. Some just think hitting is the desire when in fact puck possession is what keeps the opposition in check.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:45 AM
darrylsittler27

Gunner's situation is unique...

He is underpaid and in time will want a raise.At $1.8 million he is very tradeable.Pretty soon Holzer,Blacker,Percy,Reilly,Finn and Granberg will arrive.Certain things are inevitable.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 08:54 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Finn is out with mono and will miss tonight's game.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:06 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
He is underpaid and in time will want a raise.At $1.8 million he is very tradeable.Pretty soon Holzer,Blacker,Percy,Reilly,Finn and Granberg will arrive.Certain things are inevitable.
We certainly hope that the prospects will make players expendable.

Easily afford to give a raise to a NHL player over giving the same money to a prospect.

Timing has to be right, it isn't like the Leafs will continuously be breaking prospects into the line-up.

Burke's team has to be competitive / contender within the next 3 years, and I'm not sure it would be with no veterans on defense.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:32 AM
CG14

The dreaded junior hockey mono diagnosis

CG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:56 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Saying something is "understated" is misunderstanding. Just beacause someone excels positionally, or at making smart passes, instead of scoring/hitting, doesn't make those "understated" skills.

Some people here are overstating the "understated" thing, and painting "jack of all trades/masters of none" kids out to be heroes.

Some kids score points, some dominate physically, some are shut-down guys. "Understated" is a myth.

Steady Eddy..... Now that's real, and understated.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:35 PM
darrylsittler27

Leafs should load up on second rounders.

Going back to the days of Gary Leeman(50 goals),Todd Gill,Domi,Potvin,Kulemin etc.,the Leafs have done well with 2nd rounders.Probably better than with their first rounders.As a strategy, I think we should clog up the second round in this year's draft and put our scouts to work.There is less pressure,less of a need to rush them and they start out getting paid less.So far Burke has picked up the likes of Blacker,Ryan,Ross and Finn in the 2nd round,not bad.He also used one as a chip to trade up and get Biggs.IF Kadri and Frattin make the team I could see MacArthur easily landing a second(or higher) and we can pray a desperate team offers one for Connolly,although,I do doubt it.

P.s no first rounder for Luongo,thanks.

Last edited by darrylsittler27: 11-21-2012 at 12:51 PM.
darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 12:46 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Collect 2nds to use to move back into a loaded 1st round. Just too much talent there not to try to move back in the last 10-15 picks.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:07 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
And that would apply to him only rather than other prospects for what reason(s) exactly?

I'm waiting with bated breath...
See: Josh Nicholls

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 05:38 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG14 View Post
The dreaded junior hockey mono diagnosis
I do believe his hockey dream is over a-hee-heehee. -Dr. Hibbert

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 07:37 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
See: Josh Nicholls
You really want me to list all the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th+ round picks that had illustrious careers?

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Interactif
Realism ** Optimism

Reliving the Finn Pick

Incase it was missed this summer.

Mckenzie on Matt Finn. TSN rated him 21st overall, a solid 1st rd pick that slipped a bit "Hockey sense off the charts, a really smart 2 way hockey player"

Button: "when you talk about hockey sense off the charts, plays in every situation, efficiently goes about his business, he seemingly never makes a mistake".

10 mins mark of video.

Great pick to add to Rielly and Percy.

Old
11-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Torgo

is he injured? I have not seen his name on game report sheets the last few games but didn't find any info about an injury.

Torgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 05:14 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Mono.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:16 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Mono.
Career ending Mono.

Old
11-22-2012, 08:21 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
Career ending Mono.

joke right?

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:23 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

guys wat is the full name of mono
i am confused

Old
11-22-2012, 08:43 PM
ToneBone03
LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
i am confused
Mononucleosis. Usually associated with fatigue (same cases extreme fatigue). Most commonly spread through kissing (hence why it's called "the kissing disease").

ToneBone03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Budsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebel111 View Post
i am confused
Mononucleosis

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001617/

Quote:
You should also avoid contact sports while the spleen is swollen (to prevent it from rupturing).
Quote:
Expectations (prognosis)

The fever usually drops in 10 days, and swollen lymph glands and spleen heal in 4 weeks. Fatigue usually goes away within a few weeks, but may linger for 2 to 3 months.

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2012, 08:46 PM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneBone03 View Post
Mononucleosis. Usually associated with fatigue (same cases extreme fatigue). Most commonly spread through kissing (hence why it's called "the kissing disease").
He kissed some tainted lips

Old
11-22-2012, 08:54 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

that kind of disease, he should not rush at all, it is critical to have rest, wish a speedy recovery to Finn