HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders- Inhibited by budget, questions

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2003, 11:35 PM

vCash: 500
Islanders- Inhibited by budget, questions

An interesting article by Rob Parent of ESPN about finance restrictions, players and a realistic outlook for the season -

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/s...age=2003tc/nyi

After a period of oasis for Islanders fans -- back-to-back playoff seasons, that is -- their team once again appears to be stranded in Atlantic Division limbo.

While contenders look at 2003-04 as one more championship chance before a long period of economic reconstruction sets in, Islanders owner Charles Wang can only look at the contractual ties that not only bind Mike Milbury's wondrous powers of management creativity ... but also put the Isles a reported $23 million into the red last season.

For the Islanders and their fans, then, the depression before the labor war is at hand. Having learned that Alexei Yashin ($8.4 million this season and just seven more ludicrously overpaid seasons beyond that) and Michael Peca (nearly half a million for each of his 13 goals last season) couldn't buy anything more than a preliminary-level playoff pass, Milbury would like to pad his roster, but the budget won't allow such luxuries.

So the Isles are left to hope that standout performances by Jason Blake (25 goals) and Dave Scatchard (27 goals) were signs of seasons to come rather than one-year anomalies. They'll also count heavily on a defense charged with the mission of protecting kid goaltender Rick DiPietro, as he finally has the chance to live up to his hype.

Another year, another coach: Yes, the Milbury merry-go-round continues. Gone is Peter Laviolette and staff. So hello Steve Stirling, who's been a faithful friend of Milbury's.
Maybe that means Stirling will be allowed to last the season. But it doesn't mean the 53-year-old coach will know how to avoid the confluence of locker room dissentions that resulted in sending Laviolette to the scapegoat's box.

It also doesn't offer a clue about how a coach whose long resume is mostly comprised of college and minor-league duties is expected to get inside the heads of Yashin and Peca.

The savior in crease: No, not DiPietro. Not yet. First, the long-awaited former No. 1 overall pick has to prove he's worthy of the No. 1 goaltending job that will be offered him.
For now, the savior is Sudarshan Maharaj, and of course you've never heard of him. Just know that in the NHL, a guy with a name like that is known as "Sudsie" and he's 39, was born in Trinidad, and his appointment as a "goaltending consultant" indicates the Isles don't have complete faith in legendary coach Billy Smith's ability to turn DiPietro into the miracle worker this team needs him to be.

One man is an Island: In this locker room, that would be none other than Yashin, the $90 million star now two largely unsuccessful years into searching for some competent linemates on this Island.
He's put up some impressive numbers, and came back from a subpar regular season to be enough of a force to make the Senators blink before eliminating the Isles last spring. But Yashin knows he'd be much better served by having a sniper by his side to create scoring chances for. Having one of those might even motivate Yashin into staying awake through an entire season.

But even the Islanders are suspecting by now that Oleg Kvasha might not be the answer to this sniper search.

As long as Milbury has to count on such question-mark players, the fans never need to concern themselves with Stanley Cup speculations.

Rob Parent of the Delaware County (Pa.) Times is a regular contributor to ESPN.com.

Old
09-20-2003, 03:36 AM
Brain Hemorrhage

...This was the same thing I have been saying on this board for 2 weeks now.

Old
09-20-2003, 08:16 AM
NYIsles1*

I looked at this article, and it may be fair about a few things but the usual extra negative spin from Parent is reserved for the Isles while it is absent from some other teams outlooks with a lot of the same questions.

Somehow Snow's outstanding second half and the Isles defense were not even mentioned in the article. I guess it would hurt the negative theme. So would the Isles outscoring every team in the division last season.

At least Parent did not have to correct all the background info this time, so it's an improvement.

John LeClair and Tony Amonte deserve a lot more criticism than Alexei Yashin when it comes to production and recent playoffs.

I would like Manny Lagace or Zach Bierk to come here and replace Snow but I would take Garth over Jeff Hackett without a second thought after last season. If the Isles are not a contending team according to Parent because they do not have a name-player for Yashin than Philadelphia has a weakness in goal that eliminates them from being a contending team also. Let's not even touch Czerkawski's 30 goal average his last three years here.

I do not see the Isles in a position worse than most teams and they have a competitive payroll. How it was used to build a team opens fair questions.

Isles have an outside chance to contend for a cup but a lot of things have to happen and the same can be said for most of the teams in the league.

Old
09-20-2003, 10:24 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIsles1

Somehow Snow's outstanding second half and the Isles defense were not even mentioned in the article. I guess it would hurt the negative theme. So would the Isles outscoring every team in the division last season.

At least Parent did not have to correct all the background info this time, so it's an improvement.

John LeClair and Tony Amonte deserve a lot more criticism than Alexei Yashin when it comes to production and recent playoffs.

I do not see the Isles in a position worse than most teams and they have a competitive payroll. How it was used to build a team opens fair questions.

No mention that key players Niinimaa and Peca were really hobbled last yr.Having both healthy from the start, will give this yr's team a huge boost.

I do agree when he writes the isles are stuck in limbo with their budget restrictions.Competitive,but not able to get past the elite teams.

Isles have needed a 1st line winger and crease clearing d-man for a few seasons now.With a tight budget,they either need shrewd trading from the gm or for their top prospects to develop and contribute.

Old
09-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Fan101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
No mention that key players Niinimaa and Peca were really hobbled last yr.Having both healthy from the start, will give this yr's team a huge boost.

I do agree when he writes the isles are stuck in limbo with their budget restrictions.Competitive,but not able to get past the elite teams.

Isles have needed a 1st line winger and crease clearing d-man for a few seasons now.With a tight budget,they either need shrewd trading from the gm or for their top prospects to develop and contribute.
Believe it or not the Cup Champs NJD also have to watch the spending. I believe a reason for trading Sykora last year was his impending contract and this season they didn't offer Niewendiuk much money either.

Isles have to watch expenses but so do NJD, TAM, BUF, BOS, Ducks etc. BTW the team with severe financial problem is BUF.

Old
09-20-2003, 04:18 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan101
Believe it or not the Cup Champs NJD also have to watch the spending. I believe a reason for trading Sykora last year was his impending contract and this season they didn't offer Niewendiuk much money either.

Isles have to watch expenses but so do NJD, TAM, BUF, BOS, Ducks etc. BTW the team with severe financial problem is BUF.
I'm not arguing that the Devils don't have to watch their spending but the patient,competent Lou L. is heads above the impatient,gambling MM.

With little wiggle room in the nyi budget and their best skilled prospects still a few yrs away,the nyi need some savvy trading from their gm to go from playoff contender to serious cup contender... and I have very little faith in MM's ability to get this team to the next level.

Closed Thread