Closed Thread

Old
11-24-2012, 11:37 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
According to Stewart Mandel at CNNSI, there are going to be 70 bowl eligible teams, so no 5-7 teams. GT will probably get a waiver for the reason you stated.
looks like I miscounted.... I think I missed Minnesota at the bottom of the Legends division of the Big 10

Old
11-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

vCash: 500
Re-posting this from the Week 13 thread:

The winner of the Kent State-Northern Illinois MAC championship will finish 12-1 and almost certainly ahead of the Big East champ. There's a possibility that will be good enough for a top 16 spot in the BCS, which would give them an automatic berth into a BCS game (probably knocking either Oklahoma or an ACC at-large team out).

If UCLA loses next week to Stanford that's one team the MAC champion is likely to pass, but there might still be too many teams ahead of them to get into the top 16. If it did happen, the BCS games would probably look like:

BCS: Notre Dame (BCS no. 1) vs. Alabama (BCS no. 2)
Rose: Stanford (Pac-12) vs. Nebraska/Wisconsin (B1G)
Fiesta: Kansas State (Big XII) vs. Oregon (BCS at-large)
Sugar: Florida (BCS at-large) vs. Louisville/Rutgers (Big East)
Orange: Florida State/Georgia Tech (ACC) vs. Kent State/Northern Illinois (BCS at-large)

Old
11-25-2012, 01:31 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Still looking like the Cotton Bowl will be TU vs. TAMU?

Also, Kent State and NIU are 18 and 19 in the AP poll, and taking out tOSU, they only have to jump one team (UCLA) to get into the top 16. Looks pretty good for them.

Old
11-25-2012, 01:35 PM
GodTukka*

Oh god, the ACC champion vs Kent State would be a total slaughter.

Still would be cool for Kent State to bust the BCS

Old
11-25-2012, 06:43 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

The MAC winner might still get screwed by Boise's reputation.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:12 PM
The Last Baron*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
The MAC winner might still get screwed by Boise's reputation.
Boise State would be more competitive than a MAC team.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:25 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Nobody would watch that Orange Bowl either way.

Old
11-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodTukka View Post
Oh god, the ACC champion vs Kent State would be a total slaughter.

Still would be cool for Kent State to bust the BCS
I think they would keep it somewhat respectable (as in like 2 TDs) against GT.

Old
11-26-2012, 08:05 AM
PredsV82
No

Quote:

The winner of the Kent State-Northern Illinois MAC championship will finish 12-1 and almost certainly ahead of the Big East champ. There's a possibility that will be good enough for a top 16 spot in the BCS, which would give them an automatic berth into a BCS game (probably knocking either Oklahoma or an ACC at-large team out).

If UCLA loses next week to Stanford that's one team the MAC champion is likely to pass, but there might still be too many teams ahead of them to get into the top 16. If it did happen, the BCS games would probably look like:

Orange: Florida State/Georgia Tech (ACC) vs. Kent State/Northern Illinois (BCS at-large)

another flaw of the system that essentially punishes the loser of the SEC championship game by them falling behind Fla (and presumably out of the BCS)even though they were ranked 2-3 going in...

Old
11-26-2012, 08:08 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Well, that part sucks for the SEC, but it's possible with any other conference. Just no other conference is good enough to have their championship game be a top 3 matchup every year.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
11-26-2012, 08:18 AM
PredsV82
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Well, that part sucks for the SEC, but it's possible with any other conference. Just no other conference is good enough to have their championship game be a top 3 matchup every year.
it doesnt suck for the SEC because the conference gets its money regardless

but it would suck for georgia, who beat Florida in the regular season and won their division, if the 'reward" for winning their division but losing the conference championship game is to play in a lesser bowl than the team they beat to win the division...

Old
11-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

I have a hard time feeling any sympathy for Georgia potentially not going to a BCS game with their absurdly soft schedule this year. If they lose to Alabama they will be 1-2 against actual good opponents this year, with one of those losses being a 4 touchdown blowout. A&M, LSU, and South Carolina would all have more impressive resumes just among SEC 2-loss teams.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:01 AM
End of Line
Human After All

Jerod Smalley ‏@JerodNBC4
RT @JGuyMAC: Orange Bowl reps just called and will be sending representatives to this Friday's MAC Championship. Things just got real.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
11-26-2012, 10:09 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:

I really hope this doesn't happen as I'd have no interest in seeing those Sugar and Orange bowl games.

Old
11-26-2012, 04:03 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
I have a hard time feeling any sympathy for Georgia potentially not going to a BCS game with their absurdly soft schedule this year. If they lose to Alabama they will be 1-2 against actual good opponents this year, with one of those losses being a 4 touchdown blowout. A&M, LSU, and South Carolina would all have more impressive resumes just among SEC 2-loss teams.
Which is another example of how weak the sport was this year, that one of Georgia or the offense-optional Florida team will get into a BCS Bowl is absurd.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Which is another example of how weak the sport was this year, that one of Georgia or the offense-optional Florida team will get into a BCS Bowl is absurd.
What's absurd about Florida getting into a BCS bowl? Yeah their offense isn't pretty but they have the best combo of defense/special teams in the country. They've gone 11-1 against arguably the country's toughest schedule with a 4-1 record against teams in the BCS top 15(I doubt there's a team in the country that gets through that without a loss). They've earned their spot.

Old
11-26-2012, 10:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
What's absurd about Florida getting into a BCS bowl? Yeah their offense isn't pretty but they have the best combo of defense/special teams in the country. They've gone 11-1 against arguably the country's toughest schedule with a 4-1 record against teams in the BCS top 15(I doubt there's a team in the country that gets through that without a loss). They've earned their spot.
They earned their spot, in a bad year for it. In a better year with more potent offenses, they'd be 8-4 at best.

Old
11-26-2012, 11:22 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
They earned their spot, in a bad year for it. In a better year with more potent offenses, they'd be 8-4 at best.
That argument doesn't hold any weight considering they beat the 4th and 8th best offenses in the country, holding each well below their season averages. Offenses around the country this year aren't any less potent than they have been in recent years.

Old
11-27-2012, 08:13 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
That argument doesn't hold any weight considering they beat the 4th and 8th best offenses in the country, holding each well below their season averages. Offenses around the country this year aren't any less potent than they have been in recent years.
My point was already that offenses are lacking talent this year. We all know Florida has a great defense, but everyone knows Florida is where they are because of their great defense. They don't have a good offense. 6 turnovers vs. Georgia, struggled to beat Missouri, needed a blocked punt to beat ULL, struggled with an FCS defense. I don't think they'd be #4 if they didn't rout a team Georiga were routed by, but they are because the Pac 12 is worse and K-State got blown out in their only loss.

The SEC let a freshman run around to a Heisman Trophy with a team that was supposed to get smoked in their first year in the SEC, so clearly they are less revered this season. To their credit, Florida beat them. But my point is the overall depth of the sport was lacking this year. It is considered that Alabama is not as good as the past few years, and they're still probably going to the National Championship Game. If they lose to Georiga, few people think they're any good. It's basically been a year of survival. How many "great" players are juniors or seniors this year on offense? The best one had his knee explode a few weeks ago

Old
11-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Florida is an example of a team who didn't look as good on the field as their resume looks on paper, but at the end of the day they are 11-1 and clearly that deserves a BCS slot. Saban whining about how the SEC championship game loser will fall out of the BCS for Florida rings pretty hollow.

Old
11-27-2012, 01:27 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
My point was already that offenses are lacking talent this year. We all know Florida has a great defense, but everyone knows Florida is where they are because of their great defense. They don't have a good offense. 6 turnovers vs. Georgia, struggled to beat Missouri, needed a blocked punt to beat ULL, struggled with an FCS defense.
Right their offense is a dumpster fire but I don't see how winning with defense/special teams makes them bad or that they wouldn't win in a "good" year. An elite defense is going to win games in any era..that's been proven time and time again at the college and NFL level. It's always better to have a great defense and bad offense than a great offense and bad defense. Look at West Virginia this year and most Texas Tech teams over the last two decades. They play down to their competition but in big games Florida has proven themselves.

Quote:
I don't think they'd be #4 if they didn't rout a team Georiga were routed by, but they are because the Pac 12 is worse and K-State got blown out in their only loss.
Well yeah, they've beaten good teams and other teams in front of them lost. That's how the rankings have always worked. Florida is also a fumble at the goal line away from maybe being the #1 team in the country. I think they're a good team, if you put them in another era I don't think they're outside the top 15 with the defense they have. I just disagree that them getting into a BCS bowl is worse than the auto bid Big East/ACC teams where you have 7-5 teams or teams that lost to an FCS opponent getting in just because they won their conference.

Quote:
The SEC let a freshman run around to a Heisman Trophy with a team that was supposed to get smoked in their first year in the SEC, so clearly they are less revered this season. To their credit, Florida beat them. But my point is the overall depth of the sport was lacking this year. It is considered that Alabama is not as good as the past few years, and they're still probably going to the National Championship Game. If they lose to Georiga, few people think they're any good. It's basically been a year of survival. How many "great" players are juniors or seniors this year on offense? The best one had his knee explode a few weeks ago
I don't think college football is any worse or better than it's been in previous years. It just seems like every year people say it's a down year for the sport, with the exception of 2007 which was crazy I don't think that's the case. People romanticize the past and act like top 10 teams of the past didn't have any flaws. To me, defenses are worse than in the past when you look around the country and see the scores that are being put up as well as the shoddy tackling. Same with the NFL. I think there are some very good players on offense(Miller, Lee, Manziel, Barkley, Smith, etc), there's just not the elite Tebow, Newton, Bush this year that stands out.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

http://twitter.com/BryanDFischer/sta...89122287316992
Quote:
RT @themarkup: Atlanta Journal Constitution reports #TAMU to Capital One Bowl, #UGA to the Cotton.

Old
12-01-2012, 10:14 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

****. Glad that Georgia didn't fall as far as many thought, but I was hoping A&M would head to the Cotton Bowl again.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Nebraska getting violated at the B1GCG might end up knocking the Land Thieves out of the BCS.

Old
12-01-2012, 11:56 PM
guyincognito

It's possible. ESPN seems to be discounting it but both Boise and NIU should be in the top 16 in the human polls. Boise has no CPU help but NIU is going to have some CPU points, they had them coming in and a win over Kent State is worth something in most of the CPU polls.

Closed Thread