HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

2012-13 College Bowl Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-24-2012, 11:37 PM
  #51
PredsV82
No
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grumpyville
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 16,369
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
According to Stewart Mandel at CNNSI, there are going to be 70 bowl eligible teams, so no 5-7 teams. GT will probably get a waiver for the reason you stated.
looks like I miscounted.... I think I missed Minnesota at the bottom of the Legends division of the Big 10

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 11:53 AM
  #52
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 38,554
vCash: 500
Re-posting this from the Week 13 thread:

The winner of the Kent State-Northern Illinois MAC championship will finish 12-1 and almost certainly ahead of the Big East champ. There's a possibility that will be good enough for a top 16 spot in the BCS, which would give them an automatic berth into a BCS game (probably knocking either Oklahoma or an ACC at-large team out).

If UCLA loses next week to Stanford that's one team the MAC champion is likely to pass, but there might still be too many teams ahead of them to get into the top 16. If it did happen, the BCS games would probably look like:

BCS: Notre Dame (BCS no. 1) vs. Alabama (BCS no. 2)
Rose: Stanford (Pac-12) vs. Nebraska/Wisconsin (B1G)
Fiesta: Kansas State (Big XII) vs. Oregon (BCS at-large)
Sugar: Florida (BCS at-large) vs. Louisville/Rutgers (Big East)
Orange: Florida State/Georgia Tech (ACC) vs. Kent State/Northern Illinois (BCS at-large)

Epsilon is online now  
Old
11-25-2012, 01:31 PM
  #53
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 22,636
vCash: 500
Still looking like the Cotton Bowl will be TU vs. TAMU?

Also, Kent State and NIU are 18 and 19 in the AP poll, and taking out tOSU, they only have to jump one team (UCLA) to get into the top 16. Looks pretty good for them.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 01:35 PM
  #54
GodTukka*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,611
vCash: 500
Oh god, the ACC champion vs Kent State would be a total slaughter.

Still would be cool for Kent State to bust the BCS

GodTukka* is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 06:43 PM
  #55
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
The MAC winner might still get screwed by Boise's reputation.

Brad Tolliver is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 09:12 PM
  #56
The Last Baron*
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
The MAC winner might still get screwed by Boise's reputation.
Boise State would be more competitive than a MAC team.

The Last Baron* is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 09:25 PM
  #57
TheMoreYouKnow
Registered User
 
TheMoreYouKnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eire
Posts: 9,202
vCash: 500
Nobody would watch that Orange Bowl either way.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline  
Old
11-25-2012, 09:31 PM
  #58
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 15,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodTukka View Post
Oh god, the ACC champion vs Kent State would be a total slaughter.

Still would be cool for Kent State to bust the BCS
I think they would keep it somewhat respectable (as in like 2 TDs) against GT.

Big Poppa Puck is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 08:05 AM
  #59
PredsV82
No
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grumpyville
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 16,369
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Re-posting this from the Week 13 thread:

The winner of the Kent State-Northern Illinois MAC championship will finish 12-1 and almost certainly ahead of the Big East champ. There's a possibility that will be good enough for a top 16 spot in the BCS, which would give them an automatic berth into a BCS game (probably knocking either Oklahoma or an ACC at-large team out).

If UCLA loses next week to Stanford that's one team the MAC champion is likely to pass, but there might still be too many teams ahead of them to get into the top 16. If it did happen, the BCS games would probably look like:

BCS: Notre Dame (BCS no. 1) vs. Alabama (BCS no. 2)
Rose: Stanford (Pac-12) vs. Nebraska/Wisconsin (B1G)
Fiesta: Kansas State (Big XII) vs. Oregon (BCS at-large)
Sugar: Florida (BCS at-large) vs. Louisville/Rutgers (Big East)
Orange: Florida State/Georgia Tech (ACC) vs. Kent State/Northern Illinois (BCS at-large)

another flaw of the system that essentially punishes the loser of the SEC championship game by them falling behind Fla (and presumably out of the BCS)even though they were ranked 2-3 going in...

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 08:08 AM
  #60
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,064
vCash: 1045
Well, that part sucks for the SEC, but it's possible with any other conference. Just no other conference is good enough to have their championship game be a top 3 matchup every year.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 08:18 AM
  #61
PredsV82
No
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Grumpyville
Country: St Kitts and Nevis
Posts: 16,369
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Well, that part sucks for the SEC, but it's possible with any other conference. Just no other conference is good enough to have their championship game be a top 3 matchup every year.
it doesnt suck for the SEC because the conference gets its money regardless

but it would suck for georgia, who beat Florida in the regular season and won their division, if the 'reward" for winning their division but losing the conference championship game is to play in a lesser bowl than the team they beat to win the division...

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 09:48 AM
  #62
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 38,554
vCash: 500
I have a hard time feeling any sympathy for Georgia potentially not going to a BCS game with their absurdly soft schedule this year. If they lose to Alabama they will be 1-2 against actual good opponents this year, with one of those losses being a 4 touchdown blowout. A&M, LSU, and South Carolina would all have more impressive resumes just among SEC 2-loss teams.

Epsilon is online now  
Old
11-26-2012, 10:01 AM
  #63
End of Line
Human After All
 
End of Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 20,445
vCash: 500
Jerod Smalley ‏@JerodNBC4
RT @JGuyMAC: Orange Bowl reps just called and will be sending representatives to this Friday's MAC Championship. Things just got real.

__________________

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
End of Line is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 10:09 AM
  #64
DaaaaB's
Registered User
 
DaaaaB's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Re-posting this from the Week 13 thread:

The winner of the Kent State-Northern Illinois MAC championship will finish 12-1 and almost certainly ahead of the Big East champ. There's a possibility that will be good enough for a top 16 spot in the BCS, which would give them an automatic berth into a BCS game (probably knocking either Oklahoma or an ACC at-large team out).

If UCLA loses next week to Stanford that's one team the MAC champion is likely to pass, but there might still be too many teams ahead of them to get into the top 16. If it did happen, the BCS games would probably look like:

BCS: Notre Dame (BCS no. 1) vs. Alabama (BCS no. 2)
Rose: Stanford (Pac-12) vs. Nebraska/Wisconsin (B1G)
Fiesta: Kansas State (Big XII) vs. Oregon (BCS at-large)
Sugar: Florida (BCS at-large) vs. Louisville/Rutgers (Big East)
Orange: Florida State/Georgia Tech (ACC) vs. Kent State/Northern Illinois (BCS at-large)
I really hope this doesn't happen as I'd have no interest in seeing those Sugar and Orange bowl games.

DaaaaB's is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 04:03 PM
  #65
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,064
vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I have a hard time feeling any sympathy for Georgia potentially not going to a BCS game with their absurdly soft schedule this year. If they lose to Alabama they will be 1-2 against actual good opponents this year, with one of those losses being a 4 touchdown blowout. A&M, LSU, and South Carolina would all have more impressive resumes just among SEC 2-loss teams.
Which is another example of how weak the sport was this year, that one of Georgia or the offense-optional Florida team will get into a BCS Bowl is absurd.

GKJ is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 10:56 PM
  #66
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 14,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Which is another example of how weak the sport was this year, that one of Georgia or the offense-optional Florida team will get into a BCS Bowl is absurd.
What's absurd about Florida getting into a BCS bowl? Yeah their offense isn't pretty but they have the best combo of defense/special teams in the country. They've gone 11-1 against arguably the country's toughest schedule with a 4-1 record against teams in the BCS top 15(I doubt there's a team in the country that gets through that without a loss). They've earned their spot.

Hockeyfan02 is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 10:59 PM
  #67
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,064
vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
What's absurd about Florida getting into a BCS bowl? Yeah their offense isn't pretty but they have the best combo of defense/special teams in the country. They've gone 11-1 against arguably the country's toughest schedule with a 4-1 record against teams in the BCS top 15(I doubt there's a team in the country that gets through that without a loss). They've earned their spot.
They earned their spot, in a bad year for it. In a better year with more potent offenses, they'd be 8-4 at best.

GKJ is offline  
Old
11-26-2012, 11:22 PM
  #68
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 14,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They earned their spot, in a bad year for it. In a better year with more potent offenses, they'd be 8-4 at best.
That argument doesn't hold any weight considering they beat the 4th and 8th best offenses in the country, holding each well below their season averages. Offenses around the country this year aren't any less potent than they have been in recent years.

Hockeyfan02 is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 08:13 AM
  #69
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,064
vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
That argument doesn't hold any weight considering they beat the 4th and 8th best offenses in the country, holding each well below their season averages. Offenses around the country this year aren't any less potent than they have been in recent years.
My point was already that offenses are lacking talent this year. We all know Florida has a great defense, but everyone knows Florida is where they are because of their great defense. They don't have a good offense. 6 turnovers vs. Georgia, struggled to beat Missouri, needed a blocked punt to beat ULL, struggled with an FCS defense. I don't think they'd be #4 if they didn't rout a team Georiga were routed by, but they are because the Pac 12 is worse and K-State got blown out in their only loss.

The SEC let a freshman run around to a Heisman Trophy with a team that was supposed to get smoked in their first year in the SEC, so clearly they are less revered this season. To their credit, Florida beat them. But my point is the overall depth of the sport was lacking this year. It is considered that Alabama is not as good as the past few years, and they're still probably going to the National Championship Game. If they lose to Georiga, few people think they're any good. It's basically been a year of survival. How many "great" players are juniors or seniors this year on offense? The best one had his knee explode a few weeks ago

GKJ is offline  
Old
11-27-2012, 08:18 AM
  #70
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 38,554
vCash: 500
Florida is an example of a team who didn't look as good on the field as their resume looks on paper, but at the end of the day they are 11-1 and clearly that deserves a BCS slot. Saban whining about how the SEC championship game loser will fall out of the BCS for Florida rings pretty hollow.

Epsilon is online now  
Old
11-27-2012, 01:27 PM
  #71
Hockeyfan02
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Pistivity
Country: United States
Posts: 14,168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
My point was already that offenses are lacking talent this year. We all know Florida has a great defense, but everyone knows Florida is where they are because of their great defense. They don't have a good offense. 6 turnovers vs. Georgia, struggled to beat Missouri, needed a blocked punt to beat ULL, struggled with an FCS defense.
Right their offense is a dumpster fire but I don't see how winning with defense/special teams makes them bad or that they wouldn't win in a "good" year. An elite defense is going to win games in any era..that's been proven time and time again at the college and NFL level. It's always better to have a great defense and bad offense than a great offense and bad defense. Look at West Virginia this year and most Texas Tech teams over the last two decades. They play down to their competition but in big games Florida has proven themselves.

Quote:
I don't think they'd be #4 if they didn't rout a team Georiga were routed by, but they are because the Pac 12 is worse and K-State got blown out in their only loss.
Well yeah, they've beaten good teams and other teams in front of them lost. That's how the rankings have always worked. Florida is also a fumble at the goal line away from maybe being the #1 team in the country. I think they're a good team, if you put them in another era I don't think they're outside the top 15 with the defense they have. I just disagree that them getting into a BCS bowl is worse than the auto bid Big East/ACC teams where you have 7-5 teams or teams that lost to an FCS opponent getting in just because they won their conference.

Quote:
The SEC let a freshman run around to a Heisman Trophy with a team that was supposed to get smoked in their first year in the SEC, so clearly they are less revered this season. To their credit, Florida beat them. But my point is the overall depth of the sport was lacking this year. It is considered that Alabama is not as good as the past few years, and they're still probably going to the National Championship Game. If they lose to Georiga, few people think they're any good. It's basically been a year of survival. How many "great" players are juniors or seniors this year on offense? The best one had his knee explode a few weeks ago
I don't think college football is any worse or better than it's been in previous years. It just seems like every year people say it's a down year for the sport, with the exception of 2007 which was crazy I don't think that's the case. People romanticize the past and act like top 10 teams of the past didn't have any flaws. To me, defenses are worse than in the past when you look around the country and see the scores that are being put up as well as the shoddy tackling. Same with the NFL. I think there are some very good players on offense(Miller, Lee, Manziel, Barkley, Smith, etc), there's just not the elite Tebow, Newton, Bush this year that stands out.

Hockeyfan02 is offline  
Old
12-01-2012, 10:10 PM
  #72
Mike Emrick
Moderator
Corsi's right
 
Mike Emrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 202,033
vCash: 500
http://twitter.com/BryanDFischer/sta...89122287316992
Quote:
RT @themarkup: Atlanta Journal Constitution reports #TAMU to Capital One Bowl, #UGA to the Cotton.

Mike Emrick is offline  
Old
12-01-2012, 10:14 PM
  #73
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas A&M
Country: Latvia
Posts: 22,636
vCash: 500
****. Glad that Georgia didn't fall as far as many thought, but I was hoping A&M would head to the Cotton Bowl again.

LatvianTwist is offline  
Old
12-01-2012, 11:49 PM
  #74
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Overtime
Posts: 4,073
vCash: 500
Nebraska getting violated at the B1GCG might end up knocking the Land Thieves out of the BCS.

Brad Tolliver is offline  
Old
12-01-2012, 11:56 PM
  #75
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
It's possible. ESPN seems to be discounting it but both Boise and NIU should be in the top 16 in the human polls. Boise has no CPU help but NIU is going to have some CPU points, they had them coming in and a win over Kent State is worth something in most of the CPU polls.

guyincognito is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.