Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2012, 10:39 PM
NoNecksCurse

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
Doug Lesmerises ‏@PDBuckeyes
If I understand this correctly, ESPN wants every bowl game to be SEC vs. SEC.
so much butt hurt over the SEC every year.... losers

Old
12-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
By the rules it was only NIU. Boise wasn't eligible. Quit trying to pretend they were. You can't argue OU didn't deserve it for losing two games against a tough schedule when Boise blew it twice playing a cupcake schedule.

Computer rankings:
NIU - 19th (16th in polls)
Utah State - 23rd (20th/21st in polls)
Boise State - 31st (15th in polls)
Boise only wasn't available because of the computers. Harris and US Today had them at 15th.

I don't see why you keep bringing up OU, they didn't win their league, like Boise did (part of the AQ). They lost to two of the 3 ranked teams they played. If they win one of those, they get in. But guess what? They didn't.

Old
12-02-2012, 11:53 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 100
there are way too many bowl games, is anybody really that pumped up for a Ball State vs. Central Florida matchup to win a "Beef O Brady's Bowl?" Maybe I shouldn't laugh as my team (Rutgers) played in that bowl a few years ago, but whats the point other than money?

Old
12-02-2012, 11:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Part of the reason, probably most of the reason, there is so many bowls, is because between Christmas and New Year's people use all their vacation time, and stay home. They're not staying home to watch soaps, or the World Junior Tourney, so might as well find some football if you're not catching up on seasons' worth of TV shows on DVR

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
Old
12-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
but whats the point other than money?
Winning the game?

Also, These are the last organized football games for many seniors.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Boise only wasn't available because of the computers. Harris and US Today had them at 15th.

I don't see why you keep bringing up OU, they didn't win their league, like Boise did (part of the AQ). They lost to two of the 3 ranked teams they played. If they win one of those, they get in. But guess what? They didn't.
The computers give the most weight to SOS and W-L. Boise was inferior in both those metrics.

OU was Big 12 co-champs. There is no logical argument you can make that Boise deserved it more than OU. Boise played a grand total of 0 ranked teams, and they still lost as many games as OU. If they win one of those, they get in. But guess what? They didn't.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:11 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
there are way too many bowl games, is anybody really that pumped up for a Ball State vs. Central Florida matchup to win a "Beef O Brady's Bowl?" Maybe I shouldn't laugh as my team (Rutgers) played in that bowl a few years ago, but whats the point other than money?
So I have something to watch on random nights this December.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...coaches_v.html

Quote:
Four of the five Big 12 football coaches who vote in the USA Today coaches poll dramatically tried to help conference-member Oklahoma reach the lucrative Bowl Championship Series instead of Northern Illinois. It apparently didn't work.

Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, Baylor's Art Briles, Iowa State's Paul Rhoads and West Virginia's Dana Holgorsen all either voted Oklahoma No. 6 or Northern Illinois No. 24. Among all 59 coaches who voted, Oklahoma finished 11th and Northern Illinois 16th.
Big 12! Big 12! Big 12!

Old
12-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
The computers give the most weight to SOS and W-L. Boise was inferior in both those metrics.
Wait, are you talking about NIU or OU, because BSU and OU both lost the same amount of games...

Quote:
OU was Big 12 co-champs. There is no logical argument you can make that Boise deserved it more than OU. Boise played a grand total of 0 ranked teams, and they still lost as many games as OU. If they win one of those, they get in. But guess what? They didn't.
No team ever wants to play BSU. That is why they're trying to move to a tougher league. They can't help it that the 9-3 teams in their league are deemed inferior to the 8-4 7-5 Nebraska's and Wisconsin's of the world.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:21 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
That's ********. Too many good ol' boys out there.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:25 AM
Clowe Me

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--...033353941.html

Quote:
Franklin expected the Bulldogs to go to either the Liberty Bowl or the Heart of Dallas Bowl, and he called assistant head coach Rob Likens to ask which one.
Likens' reply: "We're not going to any of 'em."
"He said NIU jumping up into the BCS knocked Oklahoma out and everything started tumbling and we were left out," Franklin said. "I didn't understand it."
9-3 LA Tech won't be playing in a bowl, but 6-7 teams will. :

Old
12-03-2012, 12:31 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Wait, are you talking about NIU or OU, because BSU and OU both lost the same amount of games...
OU lost 2 against a top 10 schedule and Boise lost 2 against a cupcake (100+) schedule.

Quote:
No team ever wants to play BSU. That is why they're trying to move to a tougher league. They can't help it that the 9-3 teams in their league are deemed inferior to the 8-4 7-5 Nebraska's and Wisconsin's of the world.
This is the one year where they could have gotten away with a joke OOC schedule. All they had to do was run the table in the MWC.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
OU lost 2 against a top 10 schedule and Boise lost 2 against a cupcake (100+) schedule.
MSU looked like a very good team early and faded. But, San Diego State was a good team. Obviously a game BSU should have won, but SDSU didn't finish 9-3 by accident.

Quote:
This is the one year where they could have gotten away with a joke OOC schedule. All they had to do was run the table in the MWC.
I agree. They almost did. They gave up a late lead in that game to SDSU. If they had a better QB, they would have went 12-0.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

The irony of Boise State or any of their supporters playing the "we're the little guy getting screwed!" card this year is that Boise State's poll ranking has been inflated all year due to reputation from past seasons.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:41 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
The irony of Boise State or any of their supporters playing the "we're the little guy getting screwed!" card this year is that Boise State's poll ranking has been inflated all year due to reputation from past seasons.
I'm not sure if that's directed towards me, but I'm not a fan of BSU. I just think they would make a much better opponent for FSU than NIU.

Old
12-03-2012, 12:59 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:

K-state won outright.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:01 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Am I wrong to think that the Cotton Bowl looks like the #3 bowl this year (behind the NC and Fiesta)?

Old
12-03-2012, 01:09 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
K-state won outright.
Incorrect. Both finished 8-1 in Big 12 play. The H2H tie-breaker is only for the BCS autobid. In the record books boht are Big 12 champs this year.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:09 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:

The WAC has terrible bowl tie-ins..and I'm not sure what you really want here is call for more mid-major bowl games.

And yes wins barely play a role here, bowls are exhibition games hosted mostly for the benefit of the hospitality industry in the hosting cities. A 6-6 Big 12 team will usually still draw more spectators and TV viewers than a good Sun Belt or WAC team.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Big Poppa Puck
U JUST MADE THE LIST

Quote:

Wait, what? Why isn't LA Tech in any bowl? You're seriously telling me they couldn't throw them in one of the random Bowls no cares about pre-Christmas at least? Why not send them to Hawaii or something?

That's shameful.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:19 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

Quote:
kind of feel bad for NIU, ESPN is just ripping on them
ESPN guys just crying about NIU being there.
waaah. cry me a river.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:19 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRep TheWingedWheel View Post
Wait, what? Why isn't LA Tech in any bowl? You're seriously telling me they couldn't throw them in one of the random Bowls no cares about pre-Christmas at least? Why not send them to Hawaii or something?

That's shameful.
They were offered a bid to the Independence Bowl vs ULM but didn't accept because they were holding out for a bigger bowl. That didn't happen and Ohio took their spot.

Old
12-03-2012, 01:21 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
They were offered a bid to the Independence Bowl vs ULM but didn't accept because they were holding out for a bigger bowl. That didn't happen and Ohio took their spot.
I don't really blame them there, but they should be able to get into a bowl...

Old
12-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I don't really blame them there, but they should be able to get into a bowl...
I do, and their fans blame their AD as well.

Their whole plan of holding out was contingent on OU going to the Sugar moving all Big 12 teams up a bowl slot. The NIU thing was in play all week so that didn't come out of nowhere. The Independence Bowl specifically didn't want to get stuck with a 6-6 team so they 8-4 Ohio instead. With the WAC bowl contracts they were beggars trying to be choosers. There is also a rumor that they didn't want to play ULM either.

Old
12-03-2012, 03:57 AM
Carolinas Identity
Embrace the cold...

Quote:
I do, and their fans blame their AD as well.

Their whole plan of holding out was contingent on OU going to the Sugar moving all Big 12 teams up a bowl slot. The NIU thing was in play all week so that didn't come out of nowhere. The Independence Bowl specifically didn't want to get stuck with a 6-6 team so they 8-4 Ohio instead. With the WAC bowl contracts they were beggars trying to be choosers. There is also a rumor that they didn't want to play ULM either.
They wouldda had no chance. ULM beat Arkansas

Closed Thread