Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
They were offered a bid to the Independence Bowl vs ULM but didn't accept because they were holding out for a bigger bowl. That didn't happen and Ohio took their spot.
I just read they turned down the Independence Bowl because they're not on good terms with ULM and didn't wanna play them.

The school denies it, of course.

Old
12-03-2012, 08:58 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
That's more than embarrassing for LA Tech considering one of the bowls takes place on their own field.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
12-03-2012, 10:09 AM
likewall32
**putt meem hear**

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
That's more than embarrassing for LA Tech considering one of the bowls takes place on their own field.
Independence Bowl is in Shreveport, LA Tech is in Ruston.

They missed out on a bowl, but they would have gotten crushed by ULM, which makes their decision not to play there a slight bit wiser.

As for the Boise State thing, San Jose State lost by 3 to a team headed to a BCS bowl and another top 25 team (Stanford and Utah State, respectively) and Boise lost to a 6-6 Michigan State team and a San Diego State in Boise that San Jose State beat in San Diego.

Boise only got ranked as high as they did because of their resume the last few years. Their biggest win was BYU, and that was by 1 point at home.

But hey, that's how things work when you have a human element involved, and when the teams don't play each other. They're in Vegas for the third straight year, and the Spartans are going to DC, making more money. Works for me.

Last edited by likewall32: 12-03-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old
12-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The WAC has terrible bowl tie-ins..and I'm not sure what you really want here is call for more mid-major bowl games.

And yes wins barely play a role here, bowls are exhibition games hosted mostly for the benefit of the hospitality industry in the hosting cities. A 6-6 Big 12 team will usually still draw more spectators and TV viewers than a good Sun Belt or WAC team.
LA Tech was recently 9-1 and ranked in the top-25. They have a good team with a great offense that deserved to be in a bowl game over lesser teams.

There are plenty of bowls hosted in areas where Wac and sun belt teams play. Bottom line is they got jobbed.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Hockeyfan02

I have no problem with non-BCS teams getting into the big bowl games. Boise State, Utah, and TCU in the past were actually good teams and you wanted to see if they could prove themselves against the "big boys". Northern Illinois is not in that class. They lost to a terrible Iowa team and has a good record because they played one of the easiest schedules in the country. Their signature win is over a team that was blown out by an awful Kentucky team. I don't see their game against FSU going well for them and could end up being like Georgia/Hawaii a few years ago. It's just another knock against the BCS and thankfully the system is coming to an end.

Old
12-03-2012, 04:20 PM
PanthersPens62
$325 Million Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
I have no problem with non-BCS teams getting into the big bowl games. Boise State, Utah, and TCU in the past were actually good teams and you wanted to see if they could prove themselves against the "big boys". Northern Illinois is not in that class. They lost to a terrible Iowa team and has a good record because they played one of the easiest schedules in the country. Their signature win is over a team that was blown out by an awful Kentucky team. I don't see their game against FSU going well for them and could end up being like Georgia/Hawaii a few years ago. It's just another knock against the BCS and thankfully the system is coming to an end.
Well said, could not agree more. I was one of Boise's biggest supporters around here, but there is no comparison between Boise & NIU......Boise had a history of knocking off ranked opponents. Kirk Herbstreit's rant was 100% spot on.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Bowl games outside of the BCS championship are nothing more than rewards for the season that team had. While its probably not the opponent FSU wanted to play, NIU deserved the reward and the MAC conference as a whole will really benefit from some BCS cash, good for them.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 230
Im quite pumped for Oregon State/Texas. Could be the most entertaining game imo.

Old
12-03-2012, 05:18 PM
Central PA Hawk Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
The BCS sole purpose is to pit #1 vs #2. That is it. Non-AQ teams will have an even easier time getting into a main bowl with the new system, so all your rants aren't going to go away when the BCS system is at an end. After 1 v 2, there is no longer about "deserving", its about meeting the criteria to qualify, and NIU did that. Its a great reward for them and will pump some BCS money into the MAC. I'm also not so sure they're gonna get whooped by FSU anyway.

Old
12-03-2012, 06:38 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
LA Tech was recently 9-1 and ranked in the top-25. They have a good team with a great offense that deserved to be in a bowl game over lesser teams.

There are plenty of bowls hosted in areas where Wac and sun belt teams play. Bottom line is they got jobbed.
It's like you didn't even read what I said to process it. How many wins you have doesn't matter, what matters is 1) visitors who will stay in hotels, visit sights and eat in restaurants 2) people watching on TV to get your city exposure.

Bowls aren't picking "deserving" teams (why would they? it means absolutely nothing in the bowl concept), bowls are picking the bowl-eligible teams that are likely to yield the most profit to them. That's why bowls exist, it's not a playoff, the games outside the NC game basically mean nothing. And outside the BCS there are no criteria that need to be considered beyond contractual bowl tie-ins of which the WAC has next to none. Which isn't a surprise because it's a terrible conference that's going to cease to exist as a football conference after this season.

Old
12-03-2012, 07:32 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Im quite pumped for Oregon State/Texas. Could be the most entertaining game imo.
i got the beavers in a pretty good beating.

bama/nd, oregon/kstate, oklahoma/a&m, lsu/clemson should all be better games. always intrigued by big 10 vs SEC matchups.. nebraska/georgia, south carolina/michigan.. the rose bowl may turn out to be an actual decent game. baylor/ucla could be one of most entertaining games. baylor is 1st in total offense and virtually last in total defense, no joke.

Old
12-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central PA Hawk Fan View Post
The BCS sole purpose is to pit #1 vs #2. That is it.
That's the primary purpose but there are rules established for the major bowls based off those standings like the max on bids per conference and the non-AQ rule which is applied here.

Quote:
Non-AQ teams will have an even easier time getting into a main bowl with the new system, so all your rants aren't going to go away when the BCS system is at an end. After 1 v 2, there is no longer about "deserving", its about meeting the criteria to qualify, and NIU did that. Its a great reward for them and will pump some BCS money into the MAC.
My "rant" wasn't about non-AQ teams, it was about one that shouldn't be in a major bowl. If you read my first sentence(doubtful based on the tone here) I pointed out that Boise, TCU, and Utah put quality teams in BCS bowls in the past. I don't think Northern Illinois has a team as good as those teams. I don't think Louisville or Wisconsin are worthy either but just like NIU rules state they have to be in there. NIU played a weak schedule and avoided the top three teams from the other division(not unique...look at the conf. schedules for Bama/Georgia) until their championship game. Good for them and their conference, I just don't agree with it. I'm not hating on the little guy here, I just want to see good bowl games.

I don't think it's going to get easier for non-AQ teams if the major bowls aren't restricted in their picks anymore. It'll get harder for them because the bowls will go for the bigger schools that will bring more fans. It's unfortunate for the really good teams that come from those conferences.

Quote:
I'm also not so sure they're gonna get whooped by FSU anyway.
I don't agree with them being in the game, but as a Florida fan I'll be pulling for them for obvious reasons. I hope you're right.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Florida deserved to be in the National Championship game. Raise your hand if you disagree.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:37 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Florida deserved to be in the National Championship game. Raise your hand if you disagree.
Uh...

*raises hand*

Old
12-04-2012, 05:41 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
They needed a fluke play to beat UL-Lafayette, a team that 7-5 Oklahoma State blew out earlier in the year. So yeah I would raise my hand to say I disagree.

Old
12-04-2012, 05:48 PM
MurrayBannerman
Uno Besto Washoooooo

vCash: 470
Quote:
Raises both hands

Old
12-04-2012, 06:26 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
It's like you didn't even read what I said to process it. How many wins you have doesn't matter, what matters is 1) visitors who will stay in hotels, visit sights and eat in restaurants 2) people watching on TV to get your city exposure.

Bowls aren't picking "deserving" teams (why would they? it means absolutely nothing in the bowl concept), bowls are picking the bowl-eligible teams that are likely to yield the most profit to them. That's why bowls exist, it's not a playoff, the games outside the NC game basically mean nothing. And outside the BCS there are no criteria that need to be considered beyond contractual bowl tie-ins of which the WAC has next to none. Which isn't a surprise because it's a terrible conference that's going to cease to exist as a football conference after this season.
Don't talk to me like I'm stupid. The fact that the WAC is dying off means nothing. LT was a very deserving team that plays in an area with an abundant amount of bowl games around the general area. I get the logistics of bowl games and college football, but this team simply got screwed. I'd much rather watch them play BSU at the Lv bowl than Washington, who just lost to a 3-9 team, and I'm sure most other college football fans would.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Don't talk to me like I'm stupid. The fact that the WAC is dying off means nothing. LT was a very deserving team that plays in an area with an abundant amount of bowl games around the general area. I get the logistics of bowl games and college football, but this team simply got screwed. I'd much rather watch them play BSU at the Lv bowl than Washington, who just lost to a 3-9 team, and I'm sure most other college football fans would.
If they didn't want to get "screwed" they should have accepted a ****ing bowl bid when they were offered one rather than angling for the best game possible and not having a chair to sit in when the music stopped playing.

Old
12-04-2012, 06:51 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

The BCS conferences made the rules and agreed to the rules for bowl selection. If those rules bit a team like Oklahoma in the ass this year, oh well. WIN. MORE. GAMES.

(or hope that your big dog conferences actually play like big dogs - the Big 10 and Big East are partially responsible for this too)

Old
12-04-2012, 07:06 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Yes, I am not disputing the fact that as a "neutral" fan Louisiana Tech would be a more interesting team to watch than a number of other bowl-bound teams, what I have been trying to say and which you just don't want to accept is that this is entirely irrelevant. Because the reality is that *you* and I won't travel to city X to see Louisiana Tech play and in fact may well forget to watch their random bowl game some time in late December on TV as well.

People much more likely to travel to see these teams and actually make sure to watch their bowl games are alums and fans. Louisiana Tech slow-played the Independence Bowl in their backyard which was going to take them, because they hoped for the Liberty Bowl or Heart of Dallas Bowl. Now the Liberty Bowl takes the CUSA champ i.e. Tulsa and then they had an open spot for which they took 6-6 Iowa State.

One can argue from a neutral perspective if that's a good pick-up given that ISU already played Tulsa this year. But ISU is also a big state school with 30,000 students and over 200,000 alums, whereas Lousiana Tech has around 11,000 students and thus a notably smaller alum base as well. Their football attendance spells out the difference as well. A bowl will take the larger alum and fan base most of the time.

Heart of Dallas took Purdue and Oklahoma State, again two schools with much bigger student and alum bodies and fan bases.

Louisiana Tech messed up when they counted on OU making the BCS and didn't jump on their bowl offer when it came.

Old
12-04-2012, 07:25 PM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

Old
12-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
The main thing I get out of that is how inferior Georgia has been compared to Alabama.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Las Vegas Bowl has a contract with the Pac-12. They were never going to blow that up to take a team from a dead conference, and even then Washington was also the only Pac-12 team to beat Stanford this year. Even La Tech's own fans are more upset at the AD because they understand what happened.

Last edited by Mike Emrick: 12-04-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old
12-04-2012, 09:39 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
If they didn't want to get "screwed" they should have accepted a ****ing bowl bid when they were offered one rather than angling for the best game possible and not having a chair to sit in when the music stopped playing.
They did what every other university does. They are partly to blame for not accepting the first bowl that came their way but the university stated that they never turned the game down.

Quote:
Yes, I am not disputing the fact that as a "neutral" fan Louisiana Tech would be a more interesting team to watch than a number of other bowl-bound teams, what I have been trying to say and which you just don't want to accept is that this is entirely irrelevant. Because the reality is that *you* and I won't travel to city X to see Louisiana Tech play and in fact may well forget to watch their random bowl game some time in late December on TV as well.

People much more likely to travel to see these teams and actually make sure to watch their bowl games are alums and fans. Louisiana Tech slow-played the Independence Bowl in their backyard which was going to take them, because they hoped for the Liberty Bowl or Heart of Dallas Bowl. Now the Liberty Bowl takes the CUSA champ i.e. Tulsa and then they had an open spot for which they took 6-6 Iowa State.

One can argue from a neutral perspective if that's a good pick-up given that ISU already played Tulsa this year. But ISU is also a big state school with 30,000 students and over 200,000 alums, whereas Lousiana Tech has around 11,000 students and thus a notably smaller alum base as well. Their football attendance spells out the difference as well. A bowl will take the larger alum and fan base most of the time.

Heart of Dallas took Purdue and Oklahoma State, again two schools with much bigger student and alum bodies and fan bases.

Louisiana Tech messed up when they counted on OU making the BCS and didn't jump on their bowl offer when it came.
Which is what college football is all about, business and politics. I understand the contracts between the bowls and the leagues, but it's a shame that a very good team gets left out of the fray because of it.

Old
12-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Las Vegas Bowl has a contract with the Pac-12. They were never going to blow that up to take a team from a dead conference, and even then Washington was also the only Pac-12 team to beat Stanford this year. Even La Tech's own fans are more upset at the AD because they understand what happened.
Rose bowl has a contract with the Pac-12, and they took Texas over Cal one year...

Closed Thread