HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tomas Plekanec most NHL ready prospect?

View Poll Results: Tomas Plekanec most NHL ready prospect?
yes 24 37.50%
no 40 62.50%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Habs4Life

vCash: 500
Tomas Plekanec most NHL ready prospect?

Tomas Plekanec the most NHL ready prospect we have? Now before you skip ahead and say Higgins, think about what Plekanec has done game in and game out with the Hamilton Bulldogs..
He currently is running away with the scoring lead and IMHO has outplayed Jason Ward (who was playing in the NHL last year) and Higgins..
This kid plays bring his A game everytime he is out on the ice..

If you don't agree with Plekanec not being the mosty NHL ready prospect please leave a reason why.

Yes sorry i meant just on the bulldogs..

Last edited by Habs4Life: 02-06-2005 at 03:08 PM.
Old
02-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Riggins

Perezhogin is our most NHL ready prospect.

If you mean just on the Bulldogs, it's a toss-up between Higgins and Pleks in my mind.

Old
02-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Having seen Pleks play live 3X, I really do think he is NHL ready. He appears to be a step above the rest of his teammates, and is probably the best player on the team. I just hope the Habs have a place for him to play next season.

Old
02-06-2005, 03:12 PM
eddy

I'd say he's definetly one of the top 3, but I'd probly put Perezhogin 1st and i'd consider him and Higgins at about the same level for prospects prepared to make the jump.

Old
02-06-2005, 03:16 PM
LePoche69

I think that it's not in the AHL that we could pretend a prospect is NHL ready. The only place we can see if a prospect is ready is in the NHL. A few games will show it. In the past, Hossa and Hainsey looked ready. After a few NHL games, we realized that they were not. Same for Higgins, same for Plekanek who both played a few games last year.

In the AHL, they MAY seem ready, that's all.

Old
02-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

I think Higgins and Perezhogin's game translate better to the NHL than Plekanec's. From what I've seen and comments I've heard, Higgins is the better player in Hamilton right now.

Old
02-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
I think Higgins and Perezhogin's game translate better to the NHL than Plekanec's. From what I've seen and comments I've heard, Higgins is the better player in Hamilton right now.
When I went to Hamilton to see them lose 3-2 to the amerks last saturday, Pleks looked better than Higgins to me. Higgins looked good, but when Pleks stepped on the ice, the entire flow of the game changed. Kostitsyn was unreal too, I'm so high on him after seing that game, and he didn't even do anything. That's not relevant to this discussion though.

I voted no, but I really meant yes. I was thinking that Perezhogin is definately more ready, and Hossa marginally as well. From the dogs though, I think that Pleks is the guy, just slightly ahead of Higgins.

Old
02-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
When I went to Hamilton to see them lose 3-2 to the amerks last saturday, Pleks looked better than Higgins to me. Higgins looked good, but when Pleks stepped on the ice, the entire flow of the game changed. Kostitsyn was unreal too, I'm so high on him after seing that game, and he didn't even do anything. That's not relevant to this discussion though.

I voted no, but I really meant yes. I was thinking that Perezhogin is definately more ready, and Hossa marginally as well. From the dogs though, I think that Pleks is the guy, just slightly ahead of Higgins.
Well I have never watched either live. When you don't see the whole ice surface it's harder to correctly evaluate players.

But do you base this assessment on the one game you saw last saturday ? Maybe Higgins had a bad game and Plekanec had a good one ? From what I've seen on TV, Higgins was making more of an impact, altough he doesn't find the back of the net as often as I think he could.

I just like Higgins development curve better than Plekanec and I think he'll be playing a more prominent role with the habs both short and long term. He's stockier, less afraid of trafic and has more of an overall game. I'm not saying he's leap and bounds ahead of Plekanec. In fact I think it's pretty close right now. But he still gets the edge from the limited time I've been able to see him play.

Old
02-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

There is only one thing Plekanec has to improve on to be NHL ready. He has to leave the diving to the soccer players. He hits the ice so often from the smallest slashes and hooks that the refs are now assuming it's a dive when it is a real penalty. This is a bad rep to develop in the AHL, even worse in the NHL.

Old
02-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog fan
There is only one thing Plekanec has to improve on to be NHL ready. He has to leave the diving to the soccer players. He hits the ice so often from the smallest slashes and hooks that the refs are now assuming it's a dive when it is a real penalty. This is a bad rep to develop in the AHL, even worse in the NHL.
I have seen that too in the games that I have attended. Some of the fans around me were commenting that he is a diver. Hopefully, a coach like Jarvis can tell him to get his act in order, so that he can be known for his gifts, rather than that aspect of his game.

Old
02-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
I have seen that too in the games that I have attended. Some of the fans around me were commenting that he is a diver. Hopefully, a coach like Jarvis can tell him to get his act in order, so that he can be known for his gifts, rather than that aspect of his game.
Someone here agreeing with me , careful they'll turn on you too :lol .
This "habit" has unfortunately lead to plays where I've seen him return to the bench bloodied from a high stick that the ref has assumed incorrectly was another act. Wrong call, yes, but can you really blame the ref based on past behavour?

Old
02-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Blackshad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Having seen Pleks play live 3X, I really do think he is NHL ready. He appears to be a step above the rest of his teammates, and is probably the best player on the team. I just hope the Habs have a place for him to play next season.
hahaha your avatar is the best iv seen. nice job

Old
02-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
Well I have never watched either live. When you don't see the whole ice surface it's harder to correctly evaluate players.

But do you base this assessment on the one game you saw last saturday ? Maybe Higgins had a bad game and Plekanec had a good one ? From what I've seen on TV, Higgins was making more of an impact, altough he doesn't find the back of the net as often as I think he could.

I just like Higgins development curve better than Plekanec and I think he'll be playing a more prominent role with the habs both short and long term. He's stockier, less afraid of trafic and has more of an overall game. I'm not saying he's leap and bounds ahead of Plekanec. In fact I think it's pretty close right now. But he still gets the edge from the limited time I've been able to see him play.
Higgins actually had a quite good game that game, and scored a goal. Pleks just looked much more poised and mature to me than Higgins. That does make some sense, Pleks has played in the AHL longer, and Higgins is still getting over that brutal start to the season where he was so rediculously snakebitten. What you said about not seing them live is very valid, I was surprised with what I saw live, and I plan to go a couple more times to see if it's consistent.

I completely agree that Higgins will play a more important role with the Habs down the road than Pleks. For the moment though, I feel Pleks is more NHL-ready, though I really believe that they're both ready for the bigs.

Old
02-06-2005, 07:47 PM
gars59

higgins,hossa and perezhogin are more ready

Old
02-06-2005, 09:21 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
Perezhogin and Higgins are more ready in my opinion but Plekanec is the 3rd most ready for sure.

Old
02-06-2005, 10:29 PM
Habs4Life

Looks like alot of people underrate Plek...

Old
02-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Maithz

vCash:
In order

1) Perezhogin
2) Higgins
3) Hossa
4) Plekanec

Old
02-07-2005, 02:03 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Life
Looks like alot of people underrate Plek...

I don't really think of it that way. A guy like Perezhogin is playing excellent in the RSL which this year, is the closest to NHL calibre. And a guy like Higgins has a game that transfers very well to the NHL. Its very easy to see why many would feel they are more NHL ready. And a guy like Hossa who has played quite well in Europe is basically in Plekanec situation. Its not that he isn't probably NHL ready, its just there guys above him. More a credit to Montreals organization depth and less to do with these players individually.

Old
02-07-2005, 04:52 AM
Habs13

I think all 4 players are ready for the big league, which sits Gainey in an akward position. I also think people are under estimating Marcel Hossa and will be suprised at his play whenever.. if ever, we get a new season. Of course, a trade is in the air.. look at the roster and look at the prospects we have and you have to think either Hossa, Perezhogin of Kostitsyn is gone in the next two or three seasons. We simply don't have the room! Well, maybe Gainey will move Zednik once Kostitsyn is proven, Perezhogin is proven and Hossa is proven. Which also leads me to believe that Gainey will sign a good UFA D-man untill the impending trade hits.. or Hainsey (10% chance?), Archer or a drafted/acquired d-man steps in.

Old
02-07-2005, 07:47 AM
Squeaky

A lot of people have been saying that they think that Higgins game will translate to the NHL better than Plekanecs. Why? They're both two way forwards, both are fairly small, they both have pretty good vision and hands....I can see lots of simillarities betweeen their games.

Old
02-07-2005, 08:12 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog fan
Someone here agreeing with me , careful they'll turn on you too :lol .
This "habit" has unfortunately lead to plays where I've seen him return to the bench bloodied from a high stick that the ref has assumed incorrectly was another act. Wrong call, yes, but can you really blame the ref based on past behavour?
I never turned on ya,BF, of course I'm still hoping to lead a group of posters west for a game and stay at your house. I would say Higgins game is more NHL ready because in the games that I've seen, he'll go into traffic with the puck or for a pass, while Plekanec plays a bit more on the perimeter. A lot of you have seen much more of them than I have, is this the case ?

Old
02-07-2005, 08:22 AM
MasterD

I think Plekanec is the most NHL-ready, but he's ready to play 3rd line... if Higgins was to be brought up he could play 2nd line IMO

he's more ready, but will probably have les impact

That's for the Dogs, Perez is probably more ready than both, and Hossa.. well.. he has to play

Old
02-07-2005, 08:54 AM
Le depisteur

Why do you guys talk a lot of Plekanec? In my mind, however it's clear. Higgins and Perezhogin are more NHL ready than Plekanec... And i don't see him elsewhere than the 4th line for the next 3 years (if everybody is healthy). Simply no room for him... But a great addition for the team deep...

Closed Thread