HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brunner & Z tearing up the NLA

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-11-2013, 08:46 AM
  #101
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
I don't get why people are complaining about special treatment. Coach and GMKH have a policy when it comes to player development and roles. The fact Brunner has become the exception to that rule excites me rather baffles me. This guy clearly must be an exception if Mr. Overripe and Mr. "Puts young guys in the bottom six even though they shouldn't be there." are plopping Brunner right onto Datsyuk's wing. That's a good thing, not a bad thing.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:49 AM
  #102
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
so much whining about Brunner getting special treatment

so what?

he deserves special treatment,he just played half a season with Zetterberg and did extremely well

why would the Wings NOT try and see if that chemistry transfers over to the NHL in a short season like this?
I'm as interested to find out how he fares as the next guy. But you can easily counter that question and ask why they won't give a prospect the same shot on a top line "in a short season like this". I'm just playing the devil's advocate trying to find the full reasoning to this sudden change of mindset.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:49 AM
  #103
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 7,514
vCash: 500
Brunner will be 27 by the end of the season. He comes pre-overripe!

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:15 AM
  #104
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 9,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I'm as interested to find out how he fares as the next guy. But you can easily counter that question and ask why they won't give a prospect the same shot on a top line "in a short season like this". I'm just playing the devil's advocate trying to find the full reasoning to this sudden change of mindset.
- Maybe because he is already a physically matured guy. Maybe he doesn't need any "seasoning" at minor role.
- Maybe because he isn't a defensive specialist, you don't put him into bottom six.
- Maybe because he is a point-scorer, our coach has a "weird" feeling, that this guy should be put in a scoring line.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:43 AM
  #105
icKx
Registered User
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
- Maybe because he is already a physically matured guy. Maybe he doesn't need any "seasoning" at minor role.
- Maybe because he isn't a defensive specialist, you don't put him into bottom six.
- Maybe because he is a point-scorer, our coach has a "weird" feeling, that this guy should be put in a scoring line.
A) he's no bigger than Nyquist or Tatar, guys who have had to 'pay their dues'

B) being an offensive player was never an automatic ticket to the top six, see: Hudler, Jiri

C) being put on a scoring line isn't weird, but why a stacked line with our two best players right off the bat? The whole thing is strange and very un-Babcockian.

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:45 AM
  #106
jroc86
Registered User
 
jroc86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 339
vCash: 500
Brunners potential upside and contract makes it imperative hes thrown into the deep end of the pool right away. Put him with PAv and Zett and if he can produce against the leagues best defenders then is a genius move. Hes currently a short term investment and we need to see what he is now. Nyquist and Tats will get their turn.

jroc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:52 AM
  #107
wingnutjeff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
With Nick gone, things are changing. We are no longer a team hanging around for one last chance but instead we are trying to find the new gems that could fill some voids. Brunner could be a finisher which we have been hoping for. I think we will see some more risks with the lines because some of our consistancy will be gone.

Personally if he starts on the first line, I believe it has a lot to do with a recomendation from Z and that they hope that they can keep the chemestry going with him. But I also believe that KH now will have to take some chances in a post Nick world and this is one of those chances.

wingnutjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:03 AM
  #108
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh
 
Brick Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
A) he's no bigger than Nyquist or Tatar, guys who have had to 'pay their dues'

B) being an offensive player was never an automatic ticket to the top six, see: Hudler, Jiri

C) being put on a scoring line isn't weird, but why a stacked line with our two best players right off the bat? The whole thing is strange and very un-Babcockian.
I don't remember too many prospects/young forwards being given a top line spot with less than a full year under their belt, so I'm not surprised Gus and Tatar weren't ticketed to play with D and Z right away. I actually would have been surprised if Babcock gave either of those 2 the spot on the top line, b/c he seems to like his young guys to work their way up the depth chart, typically starting in a bottom 6 role (often leading to "square peg in a round hole" syndrome for the skilled guys who are having to play with a bunch of guys with stone hands). Whether it's KH or Babcock or both, the Wings seem to be slower than almost any other team in working their young skilled forwards into consistent top 6 roles. And I don't agree with that philosophy all the time, as I thought Gus should have been playing 3rd or hopefully 2nd line mins much of last season, so the "over-ripe" thing frustrates me at times. Mandatory over-ripeness and landing on and off in Babcock's doghouse held Hudler back, IMO.

Basically, I can roll with a little "un-Babcockian" decision making in this case. It's not like the Wings have enjoyed successful postseason runs the last few years despite having D, Z, and Lidstrom on the roster, so re-evaluating a philosophy and adjusting it to let a skilled, professional scorer have a shot with your best 2 playmakers right away makes sense to me.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:19 AM
  #109
izlez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Brunner will be 27 by the end of the season. He comes pre-overripe!
This


Brunner isn't some young guy that needs time to mature. If you let him "ripen" for a few years like we typically do for the young guys, he'll miss his prime.

He's a FA signing, not a draft pick. If we landed Parise, you wouldn't expect him to be sent down to GR...welllll then again, maybe you would

izlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:41 AM
  #110
The Nose
#thefuture
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 6,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izlez View Post
This


Brunner isn't some young guy that needs time to mature. If you let him "ripen" for a few years like we typically do for the young guys, he'll miss his prime.

He's a FA signing, not a draft pick. If we landed Parise, you wouldn't expect him to be sent down to GR...welllll then again, maybe you would
I don't think you understand. We want Brunner in the top-six, not to "ripen" in GR. But why isn't Nyquist even getting a shot in camp (as it appears)? Why can't both Brunner AND Nyquist be given a shot to make the top-six? What has Brunner done that makes Babcock pencil him into the lineup alongside Hank and Pavs that Nyquist hasn't? It just doesn't make sense that Nyquist apparently isn't even getting an opportunity to make the team.

And to clarify, this is more about Nyquist than Brunner. I'm all for Brunner starting in the top-six.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:13 AM
  #111
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 9,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by icKx View Post
A) he's no bigger than Nyquist or Tatar, guys who have had to 'pay their dues'
Yeah, but no such of hurry to put them in the roster. Brunner is a free agent at next summer. If we don't use him, he walks. We can test Brunner first, and if he doesn't pan out, let him go and bring Nyquist in.

Quote:
B) being an offensive player was never an automatic ticket to the top six, see: Hudler, Jiri
Yeah, but Mike Babcock never liked Hudler like he has impressed he likes Brunner. Brunner is faster skater, 2 inch bigger and right-handed and Mike knows that fits better to our mainly left-handed offense than another left-handed Hudler.

Quote:
C) being put on a scoring line isn't weird, but why a stacked line with our two best players right off the bat? The whole thing is strange and very un-Babcockian.
I don't believe that projected 1st line will stay as long as 4 shifts like last season start Dats and Zetts were together. They will have their own lines again, but Brunner is still in the TOP6 mix with Zetterberg.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:31 AM
  #112
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
so much whining about Brunner getting special treatment

so what?

he deserves special treatment,he just played half a season with Zetterberg and did extremely well

why would the Wings NOT try and see if that chemistry transfers over to the NHL in a short season like this?
So much whining from you about people who aren't even whining.

I've got no problem with Brunner getting prime minutes. But why did it take 4-5 years for Hudler to regular scoring line minutes? Leino was buried on line 4 quite a bit (until injuries). Other prospects get buried in Grand Rapids so we can play third liners on the first line.

What many of us want to see is the same sort of "give'em a try" mentality shown to the other talented players who've busted their ass in the organization.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:35 AM
  #113
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI
 
SCBdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eisstadion Allmend
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
I don't think you understand. We want Brunner in the top-six, not to "ripen" in GR. But why isn't Nyquist even getting a shot in camp (as it appears)? Why can't both Brunner AND Nyquist be given a shot to make the top-six? What has Brunner done that makes Babcock pencil him into the lineup alongside Hank and Pavs that Nyquist hasn't? It just doesn't make sense that Nyquist apparently isn't even getting an opportunity to make the team.

And to clarify, this is more about Nyquist than Brunner. I'm all for Brunner starting in the top-six.
Score 1.7 PPG in a Pro Hockey League

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:43 AM
  #114
probertrules24
Registered User
 
probertrules24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
So much whining from you about people who aren't even whining.

I've got no problem with Brunner getting prime minutes. But why did it take 4-5 years for Hudler to regular scoring line minutes? Leino was buried on line 4 quite a bit (until injuries). Other prospects get buried in Grand Rapids so we can play third liners on the first line.

What many of us want to see is the same sort of "give'em a try" mentality shown to the other talented players who've busted their ass in the organization.
Brunner was tearing up the Swiss league with Zetterberg. I understand giving him the best shot to succeed and see what we have. If it works out we may have a top notch scoring threat. I'm sure Babcock and Holland believe some of their old ways may need to change slightly to continue to be competitive. Losing Lidstrom, Stuart and Rafalski that last few years changes the look of this organization.

Nyquist and Tatar both can be sent up or down at will and by doing so we may be able to keep depth around like Mursak for a few more years instead of being force to trade or waive guys.

I thought for sure Nyquist would be on the roster but I can see why he's not. I don't like it but I understand.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:47 AM
  #115
the5cats
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
just dream a bit: Z-Brunner 2013

Don't forget that Brunner doesn't need to be in a top line to score (see previous years...) but definitively Z convinced Babcock and I suppose Z is very experienced in NHL.

the5cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:23 PM
  #116
RedMachine87
Registered User
 
RedMachine87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: A^2
Country: United States
Posts: 504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the5cats View Post
just dream a bit: Z-Brunner 2013

Don't forget that Brunner doesn't need to be in a top line to score (see previous years...) but definitively Z convinced Babcock and I suppose Z is very experienced in NHL.
I'm actually more impressed with that video than that other long, highlight reel one. As long as he is responsible defensively, I could actually see him being successful in the NHL. Will be interesting to see how he does...

RedMachine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:05 PM
  #117
izlez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the5cats View Post
just dream a bit: Z-Brunner 2013

Don't forget that Brunner doesn't need to be in a top line to score (see previous years...) but definitively Z convinced Babcock and I suppose Z is very experienced in NHL.
I have to ask. What's the deal with Brunner wearing the yellow helmet with flames coming off it while everyone else is wearing the same plain helmet?

izlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:18 PM
  #118
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 9,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by izlez View Post
I have to ask. What's the deal with Brunner wearing the yellow helmet with flames coming off it while everyone else is wearing the same plain helmet?
Every team's leading scorer has that. In Finland we have the same thing, leading scorer has a golden helmet.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:26 PM
  #119
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh
 
Brick Top's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 1,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Every team's leading scorer has that. In Finland we have the same thing, leading scorer has a golden helmet.
Imagine if the NHL had that in place for teams a few seasons ago... would have been a different colored bullseye every night for Raffi Torres to elbow/launch into. Hell, even with the emphasis on legislating head shots out of the game now, he still wouldn't be able to stop himself.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:11 PM
  #120
chokei
#59
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Every team's leading scorer has that. In Finland we have the same thing, leading scorer has a golden helmet.
Every point the "Topscorer" with the yellow helmet scores gets creditet with 200 swiss francs in the NL A and 100 Fr. in the NL B. 263'400.- have been accumulated already that way this season. The money is donated to junior hockey programs in Switzerland.

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:54 PM
  #121
Henkka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Finland
Posts: 9,364
vCash: 500
I tried to collect all the stats Brunner made alone and with Zetterberg + all the possible highlight videos from Youtube.

05.01.2013 EV Zug - Bern 0-4, Zetterberg 0+0, Brunner 0+0 (7 shots)
04.01.2013 Tigers - EV Zug 2-3(so), Zetterberg 1+0, Brunner 0+1
02.01.2013 EV Zug - Biel 6-3, Zetterberg 2+0, Brunner 1+2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QBlljPOer8
22.12.2012 Davos - EV Zug 5-2, Zetterberg 0+0, Brunner 1+1
21.12.2012 EV Zug - Lugano 2-1, Zetterberg 0+0, Brunner 0+1
18.12.2012 EV Zug - Lakers 5-4, Zetterberg 1+0, Brunner 0+2
08.12.2012 Ambri - EV Zug 4-1, Zetterberg 0+1, Brunner 1+0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWbMmITHi7c
04.12.2012 Fribourg - EV Zug 2-3, Zetterberg 0+2, Brunner 1+2
30.11.2012 EN Zug - Geneve 5-2, Zetterberg 1+2, Brunner 2+1
27.11.2012 Davos - EV Zug 4-5, Zetterberg 0+3, Brunner 3+0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3o9lGnqv5A
24.11.2012 Tigers - EV Zug 2-7, Zetterberg 0+0, Brunner 2+1
23.11.2012 EV Zug - Tigers 6-2, Zetterberg 1+1, Brunner 1+0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOwsnhWGncI
20.11.2012 EV Zug - Geneve 2-6, Zetterberg 0+0, Brunner 0+0 (1 shot)
17.11.2012 Lakers - EV Zug 2-3(so), Zetterberg 1+0, Brunner 0+1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAKYdCMltkM
16.11.2012 EV Zug - Lugano 3-1, Zetterberg 0+1, Brunner 1+0
13.11.2012 Zurich - EV Zug 3-5, Zetterberg 1+1, Brunner 0+4
03.11.2012 EV Zug - Fribourg 2-0, Zetterberg 1+0, Brunner 0+1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrOXzwbXGrM
02.11.2012 Bern - EV Zug 5-1, Zetterberg 0+1, Brunner 1+0
30.10.2012 EV Zug - Biel 7-4, Zetterberg 2+1, Brunner 1+1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUMjqWkXvtA
27.10.2012 Kloten - EV Zug 0-5, Zetterberg 0+1, Brunner 0+0 (7 shots + game misconduct) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLcBQ7SgeR0
23.10.2012 Zurich - EV Zug 3-2(so), Zetterberg 0+0, Brunner 2+0
20.10.2012 Ambri - EV Zug 2-5, Zetterberg 3+1, Brunner 0+2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myjNEkgWAOw
19.10.2012 EV Zug - Tigers 5-3, Zetterberg 2+1, Brunner 0+3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RY_Cfy3MGg
16.10.2012 Mannheim - EV Zug 5-4, Zetterberg 2+1, Brunner 1+2 (European Trophy game)
Zetterberg joined, new top line: Omark - Zetterberg - Brunner

13.10.2012 EV Zug - Lakers 5-6(so), Brunner 2+2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zor8QiRg7A
12.10.2012 Lugano - EV Zug 7-4, Brunner 1+1
09.10.2012 EV Zug - Davos 2-3, Brunner 0+0 (7 shots)
06.10.2012 Fribourg - EV Zug 2-3(so), Brunner 0+0 (5 shots)
05.10.2012 EV Zug - Bern 3-1, Brunner 1+1
02.10.2012 Biel - Zug 2-1, Brunner 1+0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH8uhA-xcis
29.09.2012 EV Zug - Kloten 7-2, Brunner 1+1
28.09.2012 Geneve - EV Zug 5-2, Brunner 0+1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5w2eqKlXlQ
25.09.2012 EV Zug - Lions 1-4, Brunner 0+1
22.09.2012 EV Zug - Ambri 6-3, Brunner 1+0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j2PcxhwVUY
The top line before Zetterberg: Linus Omark - Josh Holden - Brunner

What impresses me most, Brunner scored also those nights Zetterberg didn't. And also scored like madman before Z arrived. It wasn't anyhow that "our mighty Zetterberg went there and got this guy shining", he shined purely by himself. There was only three games, where Zetterberg scored more points than Brunner. 12 time they had equal points and 8 times it was Damien running the show.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Every point the "Topscorer" with the yellow helmet scores gets creditet with 200 swiss francs in the NL A and 100 Fr. in the NL B. 263'400.- have been accumulated already that way this season. The money is donated to junior hockey programs in Switzerland.
Oh, that's nice to hear.


Last edited by Henkka: 01-11-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:27 PM
  #122
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the5cats View Post
just dream a bit: Z-Brunner 2013

Don't forget that Brunner doesn't need to be in a top line to score (see previous years...) but definitively Z convinced Babcock and I suppose Z is very experienced in NHL.
Throw Datsyuk on that line with Z and Brunner...

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:39 PM
  #123
TheMoreYouKnow
Registered User
 
TheMoreYouKnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Eire
Posts: 8,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Throw Datsyuk on that line with Z and Brunner...
That line would absolutely KILL ..


the Nationalliga A.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:01 PM
  #124
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman
 
JmanWingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere
Country: United States
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That line would absolutely KILL ..


the Nationalliga A.
Take your negativity elsewhere. Come on, seriously?

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:22 PM
  #125
The Nose
#thefuture
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 6,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Take your negativity elsewhere. Come on, seriously?
Wasn't very negative just the more realistic answer

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.