HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Matt Duchene for Morgan Rielly

Old
11-05-2012, 01:07 PM
TOGuy14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
Sheesh, you posters with this mindset just need to get over it. You embrace this fictional "bad guy" attitude where everyone is out to get you.

Rielly is a top notch prospect, but Duchene is a former top notch prospect who is now actually pretty well established. Of course he is worth a lot more right now.
Oh I agree on the talents of Duchene and agree the Leafs would have to add to Rielly to get him, just not as much as some other people might think.

For the record, Rielly is currently tied for 20th in scoring with 20 points in 19 games as a D in the notoriously defensive WHL

As for the fictional "bad guy" attitude, go look at any thread about any of our prospects. Last time I saw a Jake Gardiner thread the prevailing commentary from opposing fans was that in his career he would be at best a #3D (after having just played his one and only rookie season and playing it damn well). That's flat out ridiculous.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:08 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
Aves fans finally realizing their saviour Matt Duchene isn't as good as bean counter George Sherman advertised?

The kid may have put up good numbers the first two years but it was apparent he wasn't NHL ready. His poor habits finally caught up to him last year and he'll be hard pressed to ever crack 60 points again.
I'm not willing to anoint him as a sure thing or 80 point man but this is too harsh. Kids good.

Leafs fans believe they have a special player in Reilly.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:10 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
I'm not willing to anoint him as a sure thing or 80 point man but this is too harsh. Kids good.

Leafs fans believe they have a special player in Reilly.
True, but they say the same thing about Gardiner...

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:34 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
And...
It gets to be a bit of "the boy who called wolf" situation.

Not saying they aren't both going to be good.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:36 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
It gets to be a bit of "the boy who called wolf" situation.

Not saying they aren't both going to be good.
haha thats exactly what you are saying

sniper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:37 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
haha thats exactly what you are saying
No I am saying they aren't both likely to be as great as most Leafs fans are saying.

Thats for another thread though.

Old
11-05-2012, 01:50 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 915
It's a good deal from both teams. Rielly is unproven and Duchene just had a bad year after his spectacular entrance in the NHL. I'd do it if I were Toronto, but I'm not sure I would if I were Colorado, unless they have an upcoming 1st line center in their system. 1st line centers trumps number one Dmans.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Sundinisagod
????????????????????

^^ why bother backtracking? We can all see exactly what you said...

From a Leafs perspective I'd do Rielly for Duchene straight up in a heartbeat.

Considering what we'd likely have to add to make it a reality, I'd prolly pass on the deal...

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Sundinisagod
????????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
It's a good deal from both teams. Rielly is unproven and Duchene just had a bad year after his spectacular entrance in the NHL. I'd do it if I were Toronto, but I'm not sure I would if I were Colorado, unless they have an upcoming 1st line center in their system. 1st line centers trumps number one Dmans.

Honestly I don't see how it's a good deal for both teams. Colorado is taking a huge gamble imho, if Rielly had a good NHL season or two under his belt this trade would be more feasible.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:03 PM
Stephen

Am I in some alternate universe where Duchene didn't fall flat on his face with injuries and take a major step back in production? Duchene is more proven at a more vulnerable position but Rielly is also the kind of fresh start you don't just move.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Beleafer4

I would do this as a leafs fan but no I wouldnt be willing to add all that much.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:13 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
^^ why bother backtracking? We can all see exactly what you said...

From a Leafs perspective I'd do Rielly for Duchene straight up in a heartbeat.

Considering what we'd likely have to add to make it a reality, I'd prolly pass on the deal...
I didn't back track at all. I think you probably read into it what you wanted to.

Old
11-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
I would do this as a leafs fan but no I wouldnt be willing to add all that much.
I don't think it makes any sense to move Rielly at the moment as we don't really know what the Leafs have here. Rielly has amazing potential but we don't really know his limit. He could be a franchise defenseman or just a very good offensive defender. The Leafs would have to add players to move Rielly for a Duchene which is very tricky since no one has any idea how good Rielly will become. Adding too much will get the franchise fleeced, like the Raycroft and Kessel deals but not enough will not entice Colorado to make such a trade. Also Duchene is comming off a poor, injury plagued season which always leaves a team wondering what they are getting in return. I don't think the Leafs are in a position where they can gamble like this at the moment.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:36 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Leafs have to add significantly.

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:37 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
True, but they say the same thing about Gardiner...
Gardiner had 21 points in his last 40 games after being given more icetime and some time on the PP. Kids good. Skates effortlessly and moves the puck like a seasoned veteran.

Why wouldn't they say the same thing? Gardiner and Reilly are the two best young players the leafs have next to Kessel. Both are better than Kadri ....

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:37 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Am I in some alternate universe where Duchene didn't fall flat on his face with injuries and take a major step back in production? Duchene is more proven at a more vulnerable position but Rielly is also the kind of fresh start you don't just move.
Yes, that's exactly why.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Kadri43

As much as I like Rielly I would take that offer and run.

This trade could unravel in many ways. I think the probability is that Duchene will be the better player. Rielly's ceiling really is through the roof. It could be possible that he becomes the next great generational defencemen (Neids or Leetch), a great 1st pairing, 2nd pairing, 3rd pairing of bust. However, it remains to be seen whether he reaches aforementioned potential.
Imo I hope Rielly becomes a great defencemen while Duchene becomes a top centremen as well.
I still do the trade though

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 03:55 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Did you even read my post? I said Rielly would be the best prospect in our farm.

I am being realistic however, having two very skilled former defenders of the year in Barrie/Elliott that are both smooth-skating offensive defenders, cut from the same cloth as Reilly, does not make him more enticing but less enticing when the name Duchene comes up on the trade proposal.

We don't need Rielly in our farm, we need Duchene on our team however. Couple that with the value difference and it is a frivolous trade proposal for our team.

Offer us Rielly + Grabovski for Duchene and it might start to make some more sense, but Grabovski brings the same combination of game O'Reilly/Stastny do for our team, so once again we get the short end of the stick.

I wish people would understand that keeping our 3-centers is possible and the smart decision for our franchise given the relative lack of desire for other teams to part with the asset we need most.
for now it's possible but evenrually there will come a point where one of them as to move same thing happended with the pens.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 04:10 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Look out!!!

I hate to say this but I'd love to see Duchene on the Leafs. He would be successful there playing with more skilled wingers like Kessel, Lupul, JVR, etc. Also, he gets to play JT four times a year, that would really heat up an Islanders-Leafs rivalry that has a lot of potential.

That said, Toronto would have to add to Rielly. At least one NHL player has to be going back (probably Kulemin) and something else.

Duchene, Kobasew, and a 3rd round pick for Rielly, Kulemin, and Franson?

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Man Bear Pig

Toronto would need to add here. It also makes zero sense for the Leafs to move Rielly until he proves himself at the NHL level. Right now, his value is not that of a Duchene. 3 or 4 years from now? he may be.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 04:16 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
for now it's possible but evenrually there will come a point where one of them as to move same thing happended with the pens.
Remember what the Pens wanted (and got) back in a deal for Staal?

A replacement center with good potential as part of the package.

It would be foolish for the Avs to give up their center depth at this point.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 04:31 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
So suffering some injuries which make you have a bad season makes you worth less than an infinitely less proven player suffering injuries which gave him no season. Gotcha.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Gavy

Currently, Duchene is worth more. But in 2 years, Rielly will be worth more.

Gavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Happy Fan
one big happy family

I'd trade Gardiner+Bozak for Duchene. Rielly's untouchable.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Avs44
Lets go Blues!

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazedRink View Post
I'd trade Gardiner+Bozak for Duchene. Rielly's untouchable.
If your putting any prospect, no matter who, on your untouchable list when talking about Duchene, then Duchene is going to be on our untouchable list as well.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote