HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the season is wiped out - Lupul, Bozak, Conolly etc are UFA's

Old
11-06-2012, 07:20 AM
TmlHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlesio14 View Post
If lupul gets signed elsewhere and there's cap space available. Who could we try and get other than Getz and Perry. Mabye Edler? Jimmy Howard? Dupuis?
Colby Armstrong

Nathan Horton seems like another good player.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Leafsman

Lupul can not walk, he is a vital part of the first line and still has a few more quality years left. Lupul has to be retained at any cost. There are too many other holes to fill without opening up a new one.

Bozak is a quality player and can bring value to the team but depending on the trade market he could bring as much value in a trade. All depends on how JVR works in a center role. I'd take JVR over Bozak at center any day, the only question is can JVR play center?

In regards to MacArthur, can Frattin fill in if MacArthur is moved??I am thinking in the immediate future MacArthur is the better player but by teh time this team gets rolling I have a feeling Frattin will be at the minimum on par if not surpassing Mac.

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlhockeyfan View Post
Colby Armstrong

Nathan Horton seems like another good player.
Not to replace Lupul but David Clarkson/Ryan Clowe would be another excellent pickup. WOuld love to add Horton and Clarkson/Clowe to the roster. Would really fit the mould of a Burke type team.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:04 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Ducks might need Getzlaf or Perry just to hit the floor.

If they kept both and gave both a 2 million a year raise (on reduced 50/50 HRR-AE) they'd probably be fine.

They have Selanne and Koivu making 8.3 million and both could retire.

Going to be difficult to land either let alone both.

Going to be several suitors for those guys, perhaps the coach will be deciding factor.

Alfie from the Sens might be gone, opening a spot on the top line for Perry there to play with Spezza.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:05 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Not to replace Lupul but David Clarkson/Ryan Clowe would be another excellent pickup. WOuld love to add Horton and Clarkson/Clowe to the roster. Would really fit the mould of a Burke type team.
i would love me some clarkson. i think i would pass on clowe. i feel like his best days are behind him. also, would be pretty pumped if we could land edler

for giggles...

lupul bozak kessel
jvr grabs mac
kulemin lombardi clarkson
brown mclemment steckel

phaneuf edler
gardiner gunnarson
liles holzer/ komisarek

reimer ()
scrivens ()

^^^^ would make us almost an nhl team. burke would just need to kidnap a center and a goalie for us.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:11 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
i would love me some clarkson. i think i would pass on clowe. i feel like his best days are behind him. also, would be pretty pumped if we could land edler

for giggles...

lupul bozak kessel
jvr grabs mac
brown mclemment steckel

phaneuf edler
gardiner gunnarson
liles holzer/ komisarek

reimer ()
scrivens ()

^^^^ would make us almost an nhl team. burke would just need to kidnap a center and a goalie for us.
Can imagine how much Zajac is going to make in NJ?

Too bad he'd be a nice candidate for Toronto.

ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Leafsman

Quote:

for giggles...

lupul bozak kessel
jvr grabs mac
brown mclemment steckel

phaneuf edler
gardiner gunnarson
liles holzer/ komisarek

reimer ()
scrivens ()

We need to add some balls to this ken doll of a team. I would be happy with any of Horton, Clarkson or Clowe. I too would love Clarkson but am guessing the odds of NJD letting him walk are virtually zero.

Old
11-06-2012, 08:34 AM
gabeliscious

Quote:
We need to add some balls to this ken doll of a team. I would be happy with any of Horton, Clarkson or Clowe. I too would love Clarkson but am guessing the odds of NJD letting him walk are virtually zero.
jersey is pretty good in the cap space department so i dont think money will be an issues in getting him signed. there team doesnt look so impressive and will be even worse if they lose zajac and clarkson. im hoping that these two will want out because it looks like jersey is heading to full rebuild soon

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Phaneuf and Horton openly despise each other. I doubt there's any chance at all he'll be added to this team.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Lupul and Bozak are the only players on expiring contracts that are worthy of consideration of re-signing (contract value/term pending).

Bozak was asked for in the Luongo package by Vancouver's GM Gillis this summer, so when hockey restarts there is a good likelihood that this situation may resolve itself if that trade is consummated.

Leafs have been building for the future and its about time the Kadri, Colborne, Komarov prospects begin replacing the Connolly, Lombardi, Steckel current seat fillers.

11-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Ducks might need Getzlaf or Perry just to hit the floor.

If they kept both and gave both a 2 million a year raise (on reduced 50/50 HRR-AE) they'd probably be fine.

Going to be several suitors for those guys, perhaps the coach will be deciding factor.
Getzlaf and Perry were apart of a team that got Randy Caryle fired from Anaheim, when it was considered the players quit on him..

At first it was the GM that threatened to deal the players are rumours circulated as to their availability. At the end of the day Anaheim decided to keep the players and fire Carlyle replacing him with Boudreau.

I agree Carlye and his past as well as his relationship with these players will be a determining factor in the outcome should they decide to test free agency. Joffrey Lupul and Carlyle did not have a good relationship in Anaheim, and Lupul wasn't overly pleased when it was announced he would be Leafs new coach, as they didn't see eye to eye in California in the past.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:38 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
jersey is pretty good in the cap space department so i dont think money will be an issues in getting him signed. there team doesnt look so impressive and will be even worse if they lose zajac and clarkson. im hoping that these two will want out because it looks like jersey is heading to full rebuild soon
uhhhh Jersey's on the verge of bankruptcy

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:39 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Getzlaf and Perry were apart of a team that got Randy Caryle fired from Anaheim, when it was considered the players quit on him..

At first it was the GM that threatened to deal the players are rumours circulated as to their availability. At the end of the day Anaheim decided to keep the players and fire Carlyle replacing him with Boudreau.

I agree Carlye and his past as well as his relationship with these players will be a determining factor in the outcome should they decide to test free agency. Joffrey Lupul and Carlyle did not have a good relationship in Anaheim, and Lupul wasn't overly pleased when it was announced he would be Leafs new coach, as they didn't see eye to eye in California in the past.
Link? I don't remember Lupul coming out and saying such things.

11-06-2012, 10:45 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
He never did.

Quote:
Lupul avoided the media on Friday but was very optimistic about starting a new page with Carlyle after Saturday’s morning skate.

“We spoke last night when he got to the hotel,” Lupul said. “It was short and whatever happened in the past is in the past. I was coming off an injury on a different team in a different situation. It’s a new team for both of us, a new opportunity. We’re going to make it work.”

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Federko

I don't get all the Lupul love. I really don't believe he will repeat what he did last season. Maybe he has one more season like that in him -- at best. I'd sign Lupul short term (2 years tops). In year 2 of that deal I would most likely trade him and turn Lupul into something a little more along the lines with long term plans.

Timmy C & Lombardi - can walk. I highly doubt you can get anything higher than a 5th rounder for each - no loss here.

MacArthur - that's a tough one. The magic that was Grabs/Kuli/Mac completley disappeared last year. Grabs still has the magic - but the other two not really. In all honesty I'd be looking to move Kuli to more of a defensive role under Carlyle. If he can't grind it out --that's the end of the line.

Bozak is a stop gap at best. He gets re signed just because we don't have centres. But he would not be a part of my long term plans. Same with Steckel. Although Stecks might thrive under coach Carlyle's new system.

Federko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Federko

Quote:
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the rollercoaster relationship between Carlyle and Lupul didn't magically fix itself just cuz they both moved to the Leafs. Let's be realistic here.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Federko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
He never did.
You've got to be joking if you think a quote prooves they don't have a rocky relationship... I can easily go online and find 10 quotes from Anaheim that say otherwise. At the end of the day - these two men didn't get along. Why don't you do some research and find some quotes from when Lupul joined the Leafs --and what he had to say about his former club--and how he felt determined to prove himself cuz of that experience.

Old
11-06-2012, 10:54 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaive View Post
It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the rollercoaster relationship between Carlyle and Lupul didn't magically fix itself just cuz they both moved to the Leafs. Let's be realistic here.
And I'm saying prove it. You can't make such a bold statement off of speculation.

He said "Lupul wasn't overly pleased" as if it was something he knew for fact. Now, if he said it was speculated that Lupul wasn't overly pleased than that's a different thing. All I asked for was a source to this.

Personally, I haven't spoken to either player so I don't know. I've heard the whispers, but being a Maple Leafs fan I've come to know not to trust everything I read in the paper.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Remember Lupul was traded from Anaheim because his coach didn't feel he could play top line LW on his team and ended up a depth 3rd line RWer in Anaheim instead.

Lupul commented on that was in the past now, and coach Carlyle admitted upon his arrival in TO that he may have been mistaken based on how well Lupul was performing in TO on the off-wing.

Lupul was asked repeated about his past with Carlyle by Toronto media, and while Lupul wouldn't talk out against his new coach, the past situation/relation was the reason for the media probing into his feelings on the subject, suggesting there was a history here between the two where they didn't see eye to eye.

Lupul got hurt shortly after Carlyle's arrival, so if/when we get underway, and should Lupul reach UFA status this might become a deciding factor for him if he decides to re-sign in TO based on how this plays out and his success under Carlyle. If JVR is promoted to the top line LW along Kessel, and Lupul finds himself demoted to 2nd line duties and production drops heading into free agency then this might factor into his decision is what I'm suggesting in possible.

Time will tell if past indifference in opinions will result in a bury the hatchet, fences mended scenario or if it is the reason behind Lupul's departure when given the choice.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Fogelhund

It is always fun coming up with some fantasy lineup, but then there are so many moving variables that it is next to impossible to come up with anything realistic.

1. Is there a season, and if so, who gets traded before the end? Is there a Luongo trade, who is part of it? We could easily see Liles, Bozak, MacArthur, Connolly, Lombardi or even Lupul traded before the end of a season, if there is one, depending on how the team does, and preliminary contract negotiations.

2. Where does this team draft? If you are lucky enough to get a MacKinnon, Barkov or Monahan, do you still go get a Getzlaf at top dollar, or do you shore up your D?

3. What happens if Burke wheels and deals, in addition to getting lucky in the lottery, and you pick up a Drouin and MacKinnon?

4. What happens in the AHL... does it stay in the AHL, get traded, or do they finally start scoring and prove they belong in the NHL?

5. If there is a season of some sort, does Lupul repeat his success, or was it a fluke?

There is so much uncertainty right now, who knows what happens.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:00 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Lupul and Bozak are the only players on expiring contracts that are worthy of consideration of re-signing (contract value/term pending).
Yep. I agree. Connolly, Lombardi, Steckel, and MacArthur can all go for picks. I don't see a single one of them as a functional piece, even in a 3rd or 4th line role, on a contending team that can't be replaced from within.

Even Bozak is questionable. I'm actually REALLY hoping they start tailoring him to be a defensive 3rd line C. I think he has the smarts to be a good 3rd line guy, but he's been primarily used in a top 6 role and beyond trying to cover for his linemates, hasn't actually been used a shutdown role specifically all that much.

I think he could do reasonably well at it while also providing some decent secondary scoring. McClement would be a solid 4th line C to compliment Bozak. But in terms of top 6 longterm? I don't see a spot for Bozak there.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Fogelhund

No, Bozak isn't a top 6 guy on a top team, but he has enough utility that he good be a very good #3, who is useful enough to be used in a pinch.

Fogelhund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:10 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Surprised that so many are ready to walk away from Steckle. Seems like someone Carlyle would want to return - wasn't he playing him big minutes last year? Big body, strong on faceoffs, and led the forward group in hits by a wide margin. Slow as all hell, but could fit better in a Carlyle system.

Not someone who I'd cry about if they walked away, I just won't be surprised if they feel he should return as a depth option.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 11:16 AM
SprDaVE

Quote:
Surprised that so many are ready to walk away from Steckle. Seems like someone Carlyle would want to return - wasn't he playing him big minutes last year? Big body, strong on faceoffs, and led the forward group in hits by a wide margin. Slow as all hell, but could fit better in a Carlyle system.

Not someone who I'd cry about if they walked away, I just won't be surprised if they feel he should return as a depth option.
I wouldn't oppose to it. But now with McClement in the fold, and probably with Bozak back as well, I think aiming for someone with a bit more skill and speed would more ideal.

He'd be a good "Plan C" if we can't get the ideal top line or top 6 center.

SprDaVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2012, 01:51 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatleys Eye View Post
Will be very interesting to see what Burke does with all the additional cap space - assuming it's close to where it was last season

UFA's:

Lupul - 4.25
Bozak - 1.5
Connolly - 4.75
Lombardi - 3.5
MacArthur - 3.25
Steckel - 1.1

$18 million + off the books for these players

Who other than Lupul do you want back?

Will also be interesting to see what Perry and Getzlaf do in terms of re-signing with the Ducks or going to Free Agency like Suter and Parise did
other then lupul none. If the season is wiped out i'd sign backstrom instead of trade for luongo as well

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote