HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where should Scheifele go after negotiations?

View Poll Results: Where should Scheifele go after negotiations?
NHL ready now 5 10.00%
Do a year in the AHL 9 18.00%
Split the CHL/AHL year 8 16.00%
Full CHL year 28 56.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-13-2012, 01:16 AM
Duir
Registered Bunk

vCash: 500
Where should Scheifele go after negotiations?

NHL ready now

Do a year in the AHL

Split the CHL/AHL year

Full CHL year

Last edited by Duir: 11-13-2012 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Screwed up on polls..not sure on how to do properly...some help??
Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:29 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
NHL ready now

Do a year in the AHL

Split the CHL/AHL year

Full CHL year
Sorry do you mean this year if the CBA gets fixed and we have a partial season?

If so I'd most likely think finish the year off in the CHL with AHL playoffs if Barrie gets kicked out of the playoffs before IceCaps (he can't play in the AHL this year other than this way).

If you mean next year, I think it's about 80:20 chance he wins a reg spot on the Jets.

Mod will have to help you edit the poll I guess.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 01:34 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
NHL ready now

Do a year in the AHL

Split the CHL/AHL year

Full CHL year
You'll have to clarify a bit.

AHL is not an option this year

11-13-2012, 01:36 AM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Sorry do you mean this year if the CBA gets fixed and we have a partial season?

If so I'd most likely think finish the year off in the CHL with AHL playoffs if Barrie gets kicked out of the playoffs before IceCaps (he can't play in the AHL this year other than this way).

If you mean next year, I think it's about 80:20 chance he wins a reg spot on the Jets.

Mod will have to help you edit the poll I guess.
Thanks dude.

Yes, if the NHL kicks off this year. My understand of what Kypreos said tonight is that we, the Jets, have opted for that if the the CBA clears, Mark and the Jets have options.

Old
11-13-2012, 01:52 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Thanks dude.

Yes, if the NHL kicks off this year. My understand of what Kypreos said tonight is that we, the Jets, have opted for that if the the CBA clears, Mark and the Jets have options.
Before the lockout, each team was instructed to submit a short list of draft picks that they would like to call up for training camp as a caveat to everything being so ****ed up this year. The Jets only picked Scheifele, as everyone else is still yards to miles away from having a legitimate chance at it. That said, Scheifele will likely stay in the O this year. Another year of OHL > WJHC > Playoffs > AHL Playoffs will do wonders for his development.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:09 AM
Duir
Registered Bunk

No< I disagree to you your on premises on ****ed up. The only reason is pure development, Mark's development is different is due to the lock out. He has done the the things that TNSE has asked, and done fine. Should he be NHL this year, no? But, is he better NHL now. Theres no doubt.

Old
11-13-2012, 02:24 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
No< I disagree to you your on premises on ****ed up. The only reason is pure development, Mark's development is different is due to the lock out. He has done the the things that TNSE has asked, and done fine. Should he be NHL this year, no? But, is he better NHL now. Theres no doubt.
I meant that the CBA and lockout ****ed up everything this year, not that Scheifele's development was ****ed up. Normally, high draft picks and invites are able to go to training camp every year. This year, they couldn't because of the CBA and impending lockout. Therefore, the NHL allowed all teams to submit a short list of players they would like to call up for training camp. Scheifele is the only player the Jets opted for.

DespoticNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 02:34 AM
Duir
Registered Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
I meant that the CBA and lockout ****ed up everything this year, not that Scheifele's development was ****ed up. Normally, high draft picks and invites are able to go to training camp every year. This year, they couldn't because of the CBA and impending lockout. Therefore, the NHL allowed all teams to submit a short list of players they would like to call up for training camp. Scheifele is the only player the Jets opted for.
Dude, if thats what I understood. Then cool. I thought that he was meant to be training camp eligible/AHL or even NHL after. Thanks though. Still wouldn't mind the pole then.

Old
11-13-2012, 03:04 AM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Dude, if thats what I understood. Then cool. I thought that he was meant to be training camp eligible/AHL or even NHL after. Thanks though. Still wouldn't mind the pole then.
I think there are certain bars you can go to for that sort of thing.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 05:59 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

OHL, WJC, OHL, OHL playoffs, AHL playoffs.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 06:45 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I agree, and this is what I would vote for. However, he will likely be invited to the abrievated camp and since he has been playing very well this season while most Jets have been stuck in practise mode or spinning their heels in Europe, he might really stand out and end up staying in the NHL for a few games. By game 7-8 the vets will have regained their form and he goes back down.

Of course they still have to sign the ********** CBA.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:17 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Stay in the ohl the rest of the season

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
I would also opt for the stay in CHL with world juniors and AHL playoffs afterwards.

Mathil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:09 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Hell go to camp and after watching his skating at the subway game, I wouldn't be surprised if he stuck. We can go all day till were blue in the face about not ruining him, but to me he's vastly improved his biggest weakness and if he shows he's ready I don't want to wait for the sake of waiting.

Obviously I'd rather not burn a year of elc on a shortened season, but if the kid can play we best let him.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:25 AM
SCP Guy

Stay in the O this year.....next year if he is ready to play NHL 2nd or 3rd line he can stay...if not he can go play tough 2nd line minutes in the AHL and become a man

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Huffer

Quote:
This for me.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

So no ones open to letting him play even if he makes it obvious he can? I get I wouldn't want him up and struggling but again, I think you have to be open to the possibility that if he can improve the team he should be playing.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:02 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
So no ones open to letting him play even if he makes it obvious he can? I get I wouldn't want him up and struggling but again, I think you have to be open to the possibility that if he can improve the team he should be playing.
I would have voted to play out the year in the OHL and dominate at the WJC, but if he forces his way onto the team I don't think the Jets will send him down for the sake of sending him down. But he would have to be able to play 2nd or 3rd centre not as a bubble 4th liner. Because if that's the case he is better off being the "man" in juniors.

KingBogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:06 AM
surixon

Hard question to answer. There are parts of his game that are NHL ready: Shot, vision, awareness, hands. He also posses the character and maturity to handle the ups and downs of being a pro. It also doesn't hurt that he is extremely reliable defensively. Now onto his weaknesses: His skating is now pro calibre and he has improved his strength and balance substantially. I'm of the opinion that if he forces his way on then he's more than equipped to handle it, but he could still benefit from one for year of strength training to really make an impact.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 09:10 AM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
My dude

I wouldn't be opposed to him being with the IceCaps all of next season, if he's eligible. If not, then give him the tryout and if he's good enough, it's the big show for him.

irunthepeg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
While I said above that my choice would be to stay in the OHL, play the World Juniors, then the OHL playoffs and AHL playoffs, I also wouldn't be "upset" if he came into camp and earned his way on to the Jets.

I think one more junior run is possibly the best thing for him "long term", but I don't know how to also justify keeping a guy off the NHL squad if he earns it, is a better player than someone else, and makes the Jets better.

Also, I know that this should have no bearing on Scheifele making the Jets, but should he impress in camp, how would that affect the roster? I.E where do the pieces fit?

Old
11-13-2012, 10:10 AM
JetsHomer

Give him his shot and if he can make the team in a top 6 role let him play. We have a hole in our top 6 I think.

Kane - joki - Wheeler
Ladd - little - Burmi.

I think with Burmi's D skills he'd be quite a good third lime center this year, allowing sceifele to slot in as 2c with Little playing 2RW

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:25 AM
Mathil8
▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌

vCash: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Give him his shot and if he can make the team in a top 6 role let him play. We have a hole in our top 6 I think.

Kane - joki - Wheeler
Ladd - little - Burmi.

I think with Burmi's D skills he'd be quite a good third lime center this year, allowing sceifele to slot in as 2c with Little playing 2RW
My thoughts exactly. Except I'd switch Ladd and kaner, so the younguns can develop chemistry.

Mathil8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:33 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Question, due to the shortened season (l will assume itís not cancelled for the sake of this question) are players like Mark still eligible to play a portion of games in the NHL and be sent back down to the CHL and what are the limitations on that? I am not sure if the NHL would still allow a trial period and if there are limitations on when that can start and end?

I only ask because it impacts my answer to this question.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post

Kane - joki - Wheeler
Ladd - little - Burmi.

I don't know if I would want to have Scheifele as the #2C right off the bat, seems like a lot to ask. I guess it comes down to how the #2 and #3 lines are used. If the #3 line is given more defensive zone starts and asked to line up against better lines then #2 I would think Scheifele would do better as the #2C. If the #2 line saw tougher competition, I would think Scheifele would be better served on the 3rd line.

But let's say that he is the #2C and Little is moved to the RW. How does the bottom 6 look?

Poni - Burmi - XX
YY - Slater - Thor

Wellwood, Antro, Mittens

Who is XX and who is YY? Wellwood and Antro could be XX, but does anyone want them in the role of YY? Mittens isn't ideal for either role, and more of a floater / injury replacement guy to me.